It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:45

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Just bought my first CEDs
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2019, 06:17 
Second post
Second post

Despite wondering what videodiscs were since I was 3 and having knowledge of the format since I was 11, I finally bought my first two CED movies.

The first one was one I wanted for a long time, A Clockwork Orange. While I don't have a player yet, the evident playing order is this:

Side One: 1981 RCA Selectavision Videodisc logo; 1980 Warner Home Video logo; movie (everything from the beginning up to Alex's arrest); side bumper?
Side Two: Side bumper?; movie (everything from Alex's arrival in prison to his presentation on stage); side bumper?
Side Three: Side bumper?; movie (Alex arriving at his parents' home to the end of the movie); side bumper?
Side Four: ?

This next piece of info comes from my knowledge of the movie. The transfer on this disc is not the full movie. Instead, it is a pan-and-scanned version of the 1976 rerelease version. For those who don't know, A Clockwork Orange was extremely controversial at the time of its release, and it was initially rated X when it was released in 1971. (This wasn't a p0rn rating, it's the equivalent of today's NC-17 rating, with the only exception that an X rating excluded audiences 16 and under, where an NC-17 rating excludes audiences 17 and under.) When it was rereleased in 1976, Stanley Kubrick voluntarily deleted 30 seconds of material from the movie and obscured other graphic scenes to gain an R rating. This rerelease cut was on all home video releases from 1979 to 1999. After fan outcry (the first of its kind for any movie), the uncut version was released on VHS and DVD in 2001. All of these cuts were done to the first third of the movie, which is on side one. These include several graphic frames deleted during the fight with the rival gang, the rape, the attack by the river, and the murder of the cat woman. Also, the beating of the bum and the rape were significantly shortened. This is not a CED-exclusive cut, and it is available on a long-out-of-print DVD. However, between the nature of the title and the fact that keeping one disc together is significantly easier than keeping two discs together, it's very hard to find.

Another weird part of this disc is that side four appears to have some sort of program on it. While there is apparently no answer on the internet for what happens if you play a dead side of a CED, so if someone could tell me either what happens or what's recorded on there, that would be great.

The second disc I got is Cruising, an equally controversial film starring Al Pacino. This disc is pretty bare-bones, just the movie with little if anything more.

Side One: 1981 RCA Selectavision Videodisc logo; 198? MGM/CBS Home Video logo; movie (beginning to ?); side bumper?
Side Two: Side bumper?; movie (? to end); copyright screen; 198? CBS Video logo; ?

This is pretty common, with the condition being the only big draw to it. This is also the only movie I know where CEDs outnumber other formats, including Beta, VHS, and DVDs combined.

So that's where I'm at so far. I'm unsure what my next one's gonna be, since there are lots of titles that I eventually want to own. Any questions or comments welcome. :)

Post subject: Re: Just bought my first CEDs
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2019, 08:38 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

IMHO, CED isn’t worth the effort it took to write that post, no matter how much longer the tramp gets raped.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2019, 17:44 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Well if you get a player and finally play these discs my guess is that you won’t buy any more

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2019, 19:31 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Having got into CEDs before VHD, I kept and enjoy my VHDs more and collect them but the only CED I have left is The Dark Crystal though if Labyrinth was on CED I don't know as I can't find anything about it but if it was I really want to get that too.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2019, 00:16 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

giannis wrote:
Well if you get a player and finally play these discs my guess is that you won’t buy any more

So true.

Also there is that CED magic site that has a forum, you can get more CED answers there than here.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2019, 18:11 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:
giannis wrote:

So true.

Also there is that CED magic site that has a forum, you can get more CED answers there than here.

That place is a ghost town. Not a fan of Facebook but the CED Magic group there does see some traffic.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 12:08 
Honest fan
Honest fan

VERY few CEDs had side bumpers- the only ones I remember that did were the later MGM titles. Warner titles on the RCA label did not include the RCA opening either, just the FBI warning and Warner Home Video opening as their other formats had.

Dead sides have black video, but also an immediate stop code as soon as the stylus lands on any part of it. Normally you will just get the player's "End" display right away. Some PAL CEDs have a five-second screen that says "No Program This Side".

I have every regular NTSC CED title, and am only missing about 15 PAL titles now.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]