It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:00

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: V5001H (VIP101P clone?) RCA A/V output mod? Other features?
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2020, 00:36 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Anyone got any clue if it's possible/easy to modify the GEC V5001H (I believe it's a rebadge of the Hitachi VIP101P) with RCA A/V outputs jacks? I believe (though I'm not sure) it doesn't come with them.

I can find very little information about these players other than that they're particularly low-end. Besides these output ports does anyone know if this player is missing any other features which the rest of the PAL players had?

Post subject: Re: V5001H (VIP101P clone?) RCA A/V output mod? Other featur
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020, 00:04 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

According to cedmagic.com, the GEC V5000H had factory stereo RCA output.

http://www.cedmagic.com/museum/ced-play ... 5000h.html

Anything which says "no" in the specifications list is missing.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020, 04:08 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I wonder if the PAL version is slightly modified and omits those connections. Assuming OP has the player in question.

Although Tom is pretty thorough.

Edit: The more I read the more it looks like the 101P was a mono equivalent of the stereo model.
AG-1980 SVHS
EV-C100 Video8
GV-D200 Digital8
....among others

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020, 09:20 
Serious fan
Serious fan

makmak16 wrote:
According to cedmagic.com, the GEC V5000H had factory stereo RCA output.

http://www.cedmagic.com/museum/ced-play ... 5000h.html

Anything which says "no" in the specifications list is missing.

This is the V5001H though. It's mentioned on this page:

http://www.cedmagic.com/misc/ntsc-pal/ntsc-pal.html

Quote:
As for player selection, any PAL player except the lowly and rare VIP101P and V5001H is acceptable, as all other models have composite video and left/right audio outputs.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020, 17:06 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Ah, yes. My apologies. If it is a VIP101P clone I found this picture of the back of one.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020, 17:35 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Definitely no A/V out then - I just wonder if it's easily moddable! Thanks all.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020, 18:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

You've got that RF out, that would be an audio video connection.

You are better off looking for adapters, the one on the left looks like a BNC the other is some type of antenna?
So you need to get a BNC to composite video adapter or whatever it really is to what you need to plug in.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2020, 13:40 
Serious fan
Serious fan

rein-o wrote:
You've got that RF out, that would be an audio video connection.

You are better off looking for adapters, the one on the left looks like a BNC the other is some type of antenna?
So you need to get a BNC to composite video adapter or whatever it really is to what you need to plug in.

I can plug that directly into my telly no problem, the issue is more that RF output severely degrades the video quality.by comparison to composite video with separate audio)

(Incidentally that's not BNC, it's Belling-Lee - the standard connection in the UK for terrestrial television antennas).

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2020, 20:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Thanks for the clarification.

I guess one could add an RCA plug on the back but I highly doubt it would change the PQ.

You would need to open it up and find the wires on the back of that Belling-Lee, one will be ground and one hot, then you just make jumpers
or completely remove and put in an RCA, if there is audio on that also then you will have to trace it back on the board and make the
separates there with audio and video.

I've never done such a thing but only read about it.

Good luck.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2020, 05:17 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Just to add in again. I have followed this guide (quoted below) to successfully add RCA output to 2 of my players. However, they were both RCA SFT 100's so your mileage may vary seeing as the player you're inquiring about isn't even mentioned in the post. It is my understanding that CED players are native composite which is then modulated into RF. So if you tap in before the modulator, you should be fine. The PCB in my players were very well labeled.

Quote:
Can separate Audio/Video connectors be added to my CED player that does not have these built-in?
With many CED players it is possible to add these connections, in fact, you may come across a CED player with auxiliary connectors already installed. But before installing these, note the following warning from RCA's service literature:

"DESIGN ALTERATION WARNING-- Do not alter or add to the mechanical or electrical design of this VideoDisc Player. Design alterations and additions, including, but not limited to, circuit modifications and the addition of items such as auxiliary audio and/or video output connections, cables, and accessories etc. might alter the safety characteristics of this VideoDisc Player and create a hazard to the user. Any design alterations or additions may void the manufacturer's warranty and may make you, the servicer responsible for personal injury or property damage resulting therefrom."

With the above disclaimer noted, it is still possible for a knowledgeable electronics technician in possession of the player's service manual to perform a safe installation.

A/V output jacks can be added to the RCA SFT100, SGT075, SGT100, SGT101, SJT090, SJT100, SJT101, SKT090, SKT100, and Zenith VP2000, which, if well shielded, will markedly improve the quality of the audio and video sent to the television monitor itself equipped with separate A/V input jacks. All other CED player models came from the manufacturer with separate A/V jacks already installed. RCA provided audio and composite video test points on the signal processing board to which a set of external A/V jacks can be connected with a length of shielded wire. The audio and composite video test points are, respectively, TP3601 and TP3409 on the F, G, and Zenith players, and TP3504 and TP3410 on the J and K players. On the actual circuit boards inside the players, these test points are labeled TP601, TP409, TP04, and TP10, since it is standard practice to drop identical leading digits when labeling a related section of circuit board. After installation, it may be necessary to adjust the screw on the video level resistor R3202 to get a balanced image, and the original RF and added A/V outputs should not be used simultaneously.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]