It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:14

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Opening CEDs
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020, 03:52 
Third post and above
Third post and above

So I like to partially pull out and check the "new" CEDs in my collection before I stick them in the ol' girl. Typically I release the clips and pull the caddy out about half way so I don't have to touch the disc. I'd love to be able to pull it just about all the way out to make sure there is no damage further down the disc, somewhere I can't see. Do I need to do this? Should I? Would it be better to do it over a new microfiber cloth or another material? I know how susceptible the discs are to dust/dirt/the wrong look.

Just curious what everyone does to preserve their discs and player. I've only picked up about 10-12 discs so far; but I love watching them, flaws and all.

edit: my husband is a mechanic and uses nitrile gloves quite often - maybe that's the ticket?
AG-1980 SVHS
EV-C100 Video8
GV-D200 Digital8
....among others

Post subject: Re: Opening CEDs
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020, 05:11 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Sorry really wish I could help and answer, I know there is a film/coating on the disc and if using gloves could make marks.

I don't really think you should ever open them but I believe I did read you could rinse with distilled water?? But not 100% on that.
Never got into CEDs after one haul and then done :lol:

Post subject: Re: Opening CEDs
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020, 18:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Given their age and how badly stored the often are I think opening them to make sure the case isn’t full of aphids or cookie crumbs before putting them in your player is probably the best habit. However I would refrain from ever touching the disc if possible. There are ways of cleaning them but if you don’t get them dirty you’ll never need to learn those tricks.

Like camera lenses or the human colon there are some things you should never touch even once if at all possible because there is no way to ever return them to factory original condition.

LDs can take an orbital sander, if it comes to that, totally different situation. :)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]