It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 12:02

Page 3 of 3 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Do you clean VHD Discs or Stylus?
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2019, 17:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Amazing stuff for like 1947 or whatever, especially compared to HDDVD or flash or LD.

Well remember what Scotty said in Star Trek III; the more they overthink the plumbing...

Not to mention record technology is simple as hell if you boil it down to basics; the grooves vibrate the needle and the rest of the turntable just amplifies those vibrations to audible levels. Can't say the same for anything digital. It's a bit like microfilm; all you need to see it is a source of light and some sort of a magnifying glass. A flash stick is useless without a computer, a far more complicated bit of tech.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2019, 19:28 
Honest fan
Honest fan

The first VHD player I bought was a SHARP brand. It did not and work properly and would just run over the disc extremely fast and display messed up garbage on the screen. I paused it in a couple of places and the picture was all jumpy, black and white. Just messed up in general. I bought a VICTOR HD-V1 next, a high end 3D model that came after the HD-93/9500. This one worked perfectly and was in fantastic condition. VHD players almost always live up to the "junk" title in auctions.

I experienced a problem with the discs I put in the SHARP though. The places I paused the discs on the SHARP skipped. The FF/FW method helped a little, but somehow that other player damaged the discs. No idea how seeing as the needle does not touch the discs. I collect anime that never made it to LD (thanks VICTOR!) and they are incredibly hard to come by so I was pissed. The 2 it damaged was Cosmos Pink SHOCK and Bari Bari Densetsu part I. I thankfully managed to buy second copies, but they were not cheap. The only thing that first pos player was good for was a second needle as it was a VICTOR needle. I wish NATIONAL used them, too...

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2022, 19:52 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

So, I've realized something...I've got a few discs that tend to skip a lot....but here's the thing: I think I've discovered if you keep playing them over and over, the skips become less and less frequent...so does the image noise... maybe the stylus is "cleaning" the dirt off the disc? I dunno, I have no f***ing clue what I'm talking about...but from what I've been seeing, it helps those old Hard-Off discs quite a bit....anyone else realize this?

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2022, 12:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I see no reason to doubt that theory at all.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2022, 15:30 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

giannis wrote:
theres a reason why vhds and ceds are both in cartridge.you cant clean either one.from my experience with vhds skipping usually its a disc issue that gets better if you fast forward and rewind at the spot of skipping multible times.having both formats its not only the quality of vhd that is way way better than ced but also the skipping issue is like 1/1000 of what ced is

Yeah, I've realised this too. I just bought a few new VHD titles from buyee, and they are nigh unplayable, BUT they get better by doing this every time they become less and less f***ed up. I'm a little freaking out tho, this batch was horrible, I hadnt had as much problem with VHD before

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2022, 15:48 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

pbiancardi wrote:
Experiment #3 - Little Shop of Horrors first play wouldn't make it through the opening sequence without bad skipping, I just ran it under warm water then rinsed with distilled water and dried with compressed air and it seems to be playing fine. I'm almost thinking some sort of rinse process might be best so you never actually touch the surface with anything but water.

Mmhhh I'll have to try that out, got a few that are almost unwatchable.
Keep you posted on that if they work after,

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2022, 15:52 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I mean, there's GOTTA be a way to fix this skipping/garbled mess s**t on VHD's. There just has to... it would be illogical for Victor/JVC not to have devised some way to keep them clean or something (I'm talking like Spock here) :lol: .... does the stylus collect residue like vinyl styluses do? Does anyone know if we can find more info on the VHD format or some kind of technical manual in japanese or something?

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2022, 15:55 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

While RCA's CED fiasco is totally understandable that they skip so much, I'm sure Victor/JVC had time to devise some way to get around this or something....they pretty much reversed-engineered CED and improved it tenfold. And JVC is a very good electronics company, they are known for making quality products, compared to RCA which only was good pre-1970's....

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2022, 19:53 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

laserdick007 wrote:
I mean, there's GOTTA be a way to fix this skipping/garbled mess s**t on VHD's. There just has to... it would be illogical for Victor/JVC not to have devised some way to keep them clean or something (I'm talking like Spock here) :lol: .... does the stylus collect residue like vinyl styluses do? Does anyone know if we can find more info on the VHD format or some kind of technical manual in japanese or something?

I think playing the movies regularly would have been enough but since it’s a flop format that isn’t likely to have been the case with anything you buy. You may as well complain that it’s too hard to change the oil on your 1972 Lamborghini. Nobody will invent an easier version of a task nobody performs.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2022, 20:40 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

signofzeta wrote:
laserdick007 wrote:

I think playing the movies regularly would have been enough but since it’s a flop format that isn’t likely to have been the case with anything you buy. You may as well complain that it’s too hard to change the oil on your 1972 Lamborghini. Nobody will invent an easier version of a task nobody performs.

I don't get the Lamborghini reference, but VHD a flop? According to sources it was quite a popular format only coming second to Laserdisc, so I wouldn't call that a flop...

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2022, 20:42 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

signofzeta wrote:
laserdick007 wrote:

Also I don't understand most of what your saying here...

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2022, 23:32 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

What hes trying to say is there aren't enough of these players or people who own them for others to really tackle this issue.
Its too microscopic of a format and very very few programs for anybody to want to own it now nearly 40 years after the demise of the format.

Disclord knew all that there was to know about this format but since hes gone you will need to experiment yourself on discs, stylus and players and take the risk
yourself.

I wish there were more people to help you but its just a little collected format outside of Japan.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2022, 20:26 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

rein-o wrote:
What hes trying to say is there aren't enough of these players or people who own them for others to really tackle this issue.
Its too microscopic of a format and very very few programs for anybody to want to own it now nearly 40 years after the demise of the format.

Disclord knew all that there was to know about this format but since hes gone you will need to experiment yourself on discs, stylus and players and take the risk
yourself.

I wish there were more people to help you but its just a little collected format outside of Japan.

Yeah, unfortunately I think you're right. Me and friend will "attempt" a cleaning experience on a junk VHD discv and see if it works.. I'll keep you posted on that... speaking of DiscLord, the VHD Wizard, whatever happened to him? Like when I go on his DiscWorld site I get warnings from my antivirus and even Google telling me the site is unsafe and virus-laden... strange...

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2022, 20:47 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

He died.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2022, 21:58 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

signofzeta wrote:
He died.

Oh no!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2022, 23:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

He died very suddenly and unexpected. A great loss.
RIP disclord

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2022, 16:08 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

:( :( :( :( :( :(
nissling wrote:
He died very suddenly and unexpected. A great loss.
RIP disclord

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2023, 15:55 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

So my friend John told me by brushing the disc surface with a good quality discwasher brush for vinyl records worked well for him.

Well I tried it on an unplayable disc and it works!

Well it did a HUGE improvement.

What was nearly unplayable got up to midpoint before skipping all the way til the end.
Side 2 was even worse.

But I see some potential here...

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2023, 16:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

There is a coating on these discs, also the CED discs so it keeps friction down.
You may clean off the dirt but also clean off the lubrication coating, unknown what it is but again trial and error.

I know that CEDs have the coating so these must have some type of coating, but I'm really guessing.

Page 3 of 3 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3