It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:30

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mitsubishi D-VHS
PostPosted: 24 May 2012, 06:42 
Serious fan
Serious fan

At a Goodwill today I bought a Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U D-VHS which appeared to be NIB. The remote, manual and all accessories were still in sealed plastic bags. I hooked it up and played a regular VHS, it looked decent. I have a DTheater VHS of Bone Collector but it is not compatible, I was bummed out, I've had that tape for over a year and the whole way home I was thinking that's what I'd be watching tonight. It seems if there is not a DTheater logo on your machine it won't play them.
Anyway, now the question is, keep it or sell it? I do still watch VHS from time to time. I have 4 other good working VHS vcrs. Don't really "need" it but I love quality A/V units. I'm guessing this being NIB it "should" last me a long time. Anyone else have this unit? Your experience and opinions?

Post subject: Re: Mitsubishi D-VHS
PostPosted: 24 May 2012, 12:57 
Honest fan
Honest fan

You're right about the DTheater topic, only units that carry the DTheater logo are capable of playing these tapes. As far as I know they work on american JVC units only, like the HM-DH30000U or HM-DH5U. I remember there was a Marantz clone called MV-8300 which was capable of DTheater playback too. Oh, and only newer units like the DH5U or the DH40000 also had the ability to play tapes with alternative audio tracks such as DTS.

PostPosted: 24 May 2012, 16:06 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I'd keep it. You can still make some damn good HD recordings with that. I'd favor that over a Tivo type recorder or the one built into the cable box (those recordings expire or the drive fills up quickly.)

PostPosted: 27 May 2012, 04:44 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I have decided to keep it. I watched a movie tonight on it and I thought the picture quality was outstanding for a VHS. Obviously quality will vary from tape to tape. Rewind is blazing, about 25 seconds for a full rewind.

PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 04:31 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

It acts as digital storage so you can record hd cable tru firewire bit to bit. It only does mpeg2 so if you dish or dtv i dont how those mpeg4 chs work. You can use svideo blanks to record hd data on them.

PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 15:36 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

nikita70 wrote:
I have decided to keep it. I watched a movie tonight on it and I thought the picture quality was outstanding for a VHS. Obviously quality will vary from tape to tape. Rewind is blazing, about 25 seconds for a full rewind.

I still use a separate tape rewinder even with my S-VHS decks (even though my Mitsu S-VHS deck also has supersonic rewinding.) Just always afraid of wearing out that motor or breaking a gear.

PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 16:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
nikita70 wrote:

I still use a separate tape rewinder even with my S-VHS decks (even though my Mitsu S-VHS deck also has supersonic rewinding.) Just always afraid of wearing out that motor or breaking a gear.

I have JVC's HRS-9800u as well as an HMDH-5u, and although I love the blazingly fast high speed rewind - and I also know that the tape is not kept fully threaded during rewind, like most Beta decks did - I still use a different VCR to rewind my tapes, to save the JVC's from wear. I love the 9800 VCR, especially the Dynamic Drum and DigiPure circuitry, and don't want anything to happen to it. I have one of the same years lower end SuperVHS-ET units, but without the Dynamic Drum and only 2Mb DigiPure instead of the 4Mb, boxed up with capstan and loading belts removed.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 09:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I came across a D-vhs player some time ago. Jvc HM-DH3000u. At first I was thinking what to do with it. At first glance I was going to sell the system. After watching a few titles I fell in love with the system. It's an odd system for sure. I swore never to play any more tapes. Threw out the vhs player a long time ago :clap: No more rewinding movies was my thinking :lol:
I purchased it along with 56 Dtheater tapes. Great movies with superb sound and picture. I was thinking about getting a newer model that would play dts tapes but I found they are not easy to get in Europe. My only fear is that it would break down sooner or later. I decided to sell some titles that are of no interest to me. I like the format but not planning on getting all released Dtheater movies. I decided to sell 13 of my dtheater titles. I have a few demo tapes that I don't want (or need)

I am now on the lookout for these:
True Lies
The Ninth Gate
Aliens

I would be happy to trade or buy...
I think there are not many people around that own such a system making it hard to find spare equipment or tapes. i'm in Belgium you know... :o
There are only a few hdmi machines around as I understand. Do they have issues with HDCP etc..?
Mine only has component output but I a more than happy with that. It's just dts output I'm lacking on my player.
i have been reading revieuws of the HM-DH3000U mentioning dropouts etc...
I watched about 8 movies now and happy to say no problems during playback. I did notice when a tape is not rewinded and you push play a dropout can occur like macroblocing or a blank screen. I found end of days was not rewinded and it immediatly had distorted audio and picture. Rewinding the tape did the trick.

Anyone else using Dtheater tapes?

Last edited by kris on 10 Jan 2013, 17:39, edited 1 time in total. _________________
CLD-D925
RFD-1
CLD-99 elite
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 19:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

kris wrote:
I came across a D-vhs player some time ago. Jvc HM-DH3000u. At first I was thinking what to do with it. At first glance I was going to sell the system. After watching a few titles I fell in love with the system. It's an odd system for sure. I swore never to play any more tapes. Threw out the vhs player a long time ago :clap: No more rewinding movies was my thinking :lol:
I purchased it along with 56 Dtheater tapes. Graet movies with superb sound and picture. I was thinking about getting a newer model that would play dts tapes but I found they are not easy to get in Europe. My only fear is that it would break down sooner or later. I decided to sell some titles that are of no interest to me. I like the format but not planning on getting all released Dtheater movies. I decided to sell 13 of my dtheater titles. I have a few demo tapes that I don't want (or need)

I am now on the lookout for these:
True Lies
The Ninth Gate
Aliens

I would be happy to trade or buy...
I think there are not many people around that own such a system making it hard to find spare equipment or tapes. i'm in Belgium you know... :o
There are only a few hdmi machines around as I understand. Do they have issues with HDCP etc..?
Mine only has component output but I a more than happy with that. It's just dts output I'm lacking on my player.
i have been reading revieuws of the HM-DH3000U mentioning dropouts etc...
I watched about 8 movies now and happy to say no problems during playback. I did notice when a tape is not rewinded and you push play a dropout can occur like macroblocing or a blank screen. I found end of days was not rewinded and it immediatly had distorted audio and picture. Rewinding the tape did the trick.

Anyone else using Dtheater tapes?

My JVC HDM-H5U has HDMi output, as well as FireWire/iLink, I'm fact, I think it's the only D-Theater unit with an HDMI output. When playing an encrypted (prerecorded) D-Theater tape the HDMI will not handshake and lock if my Denon receiver is in the path - the deck must be connected directly to my Toshiba television. All other playback via HDMI works fine though, so I have it connected via both HDMI and Component to my Denon AVR-3808. The component is for D-Theater playback while HDMI is for everything else. The FireWire works great into and out of my Sony Vaio to capture video losslessly. The JVC's comb filter is a 3D Motion Adaptive unit, but uses field adaptive processing - in other words, when movement occurs, the entire frame drops from 3D processing to field based 2D, causing dots to appear everywhere. The comb filter in my EAD TheaterVision is 3D Motion Adaptive but per-pixel, so only the pixels in motion are processed via the 2D comb - the rest of the frame is combed via the 3D filter. It also has a dot removal function in the comb that the JVC doesn't have - if any single line dots appear, a notch filter is inserted on that line or pixel only to remove it. The JVC has no dot suppression at all, so the picture, while colorful, is full of dots with even minor movement. It's TBC is excellent and locks CLV LaserDisc FX playback so well my LCD TV never loses sync. The biggest drawback to the comb filter/TBC in the DTheater unit, AND my Panasonic DVD-R unit is that the Runco LJR-I LaserDisc player has lower noise than either unit so running the composite signal through the comb filters adds a bit of noise to the image. The 2D Faroudja VP-100 comb doesn't do that, but naturally has more artifacts than the 3D filters. Surprisingly, the comb in the Runco has been tweaked by MSB and gives excellent performance - I rarely notice that it's not a 3D comb. Apparently, Panasonic gave MSB programming info for the digital comb filter which MSB tweaked - its S-Video output has slightly wider color bandwidth than the stock LX-900 that it's based upon.

I only have 3 DTheater tapes so far, but none have shown dropouts. DVHS needs its heads kept very clean, so a DVHS head cleaner would be a good investment. Since my JVC 9800 S-VHs unit has the dynamic drum and adjustable chroma/luma NR and chroma bandwidth expansion, I use that unit for playing regular S or VHs tapes since it can track anything and make it look good. The DVHS units don't have the dynamic head drum that can tilt to optimize tracking or the more advanced DigiPure features of the 9x00 JVC's.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 20:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'll have to check out ebay to get me a head cleaning tape for Dvhs player(s)
your advice is appreciated THANKS :clap:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013, 10:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I wonder why it's not possible to sell Dtheater tapes on the database?
I'm sure there's (a small) market for Dtheater tapes
Have been :think: about ebay but you loose so much money with the fee.... dtheater tapes are not fetching too high of a price so it wouldn't be worth the effort I imagine.
I have a few tapes coming from the US at a very reasonable shipping price. Let's hope customs let's them pass without adding taxes :thumbdown:
I don't see many Dtheater tapes in collections on the database....
There must be someone who collects them on the planet? :)
I've been into the format for a short period of time and kinda fell in love with the format. No great collectibles like a laserdisc but fun to own.
On the lookout for a decent spare player now....
If anyone would have one for sale...?
I'm looking for a DTheater player! Not only a DVHS recorder. They are not always compatible ! The player has to carry the Dtheater LOGO!
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013, 16:25 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

From what I've read, no they are not compatible. A D-Theatre deck will play D-Theatre and pre-recorded D-VHS tapes (there is a distinction between the two as I've seen Widescreen Review review both formats), but a D-VHS only deck will NOT play D-Theatre tapes.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013, 22:11 
True fan
True fan

Does the Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U have the option to disable its AGC? A friend told me that it does.

See the following thread for why I'm asking, if you're interested. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2235

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]