It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:03

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Picked up an Onkyo DV-HD805 Player (XA2 Clone)
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2021, 21:30 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Earlier this week I picked up an Onkyo DV-HD805 HD-DVD player (which is an XA2 clone) for $100 shipped from an AVS member. It's replacing a Goodwill find HD-A30 with a stuck tray (haven't opened it up to see if I can fix it, probably will now) that was itself intended to replace an HD-A3. $100 was a stretch for what will be used once a month at best, but after receiving it I'm quite happy I did.

It's EXTREMELY well built and, along with its Integra counterpart, is probably the best looking and best build HD-DVD player built. It also looks much more at home in my rack than any of the Toshiba players did... they were the only bits of silver sticking out, and now everything is nice and black. This thing would have looked stunning above my old Onkyo TX-NR905 AVR, but that's been repurposed in my brother's theater since I upgraded to a Marantz NR6011 for Atmos and 4K/HDR a few years back.

The only downside I've found is the power button on the Onkyo remote doesn't work (the rest of the buttons do)... but I'm controlling it with my Harmony Elite and didn't even have to reprogram it from the Toshiba codes.

Below is the seller's photo, and I'll try to get one of it in the rack (on the shelf above my Marantz LV520 D504 clone).

Post subject: Re: Picked up an Onkyo DV-HD805 Player (XA2 Clone)
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2021, 00:45 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Your player that's stuck probably needs a new belt.

My DVD/Bluray player needed a belt and I replaced it last year or the year before.
I think I paid around 5 bucks, can't remember the seller now, someone else posted about the same seller very helpful, if you search up
and measure the size of the belt you have they will help you find what you need.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2021, 06:12 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Pretty sure the drive on the Toshibas are all encased, so it'll require removing the drive as a whole and then disassembling it as well... I may get around to it now that it's out of the rack, but we'll see.

I was a little surprised to find the Onkyo pop up on AVS, and fairly affordably. I've had an ebay saved search (and one for the identical Integra model) for about 9 months and not a single actual player has been listed, only a few manuals and remotes.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2021, 06:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I believe this and the EP35 are the only players that output bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2021, 09:57 
Honest fan
Honest fan

That is a nice player to say the least!
It would be cool if you could enlighten us with how it performs on bad discs. I have noted that some players seems better than others at reading "partially rotted" discs.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2021, 13:59 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

It’s a XA2 clone internally. Externally, it’s identical to the Integra DHS 8.8. They run on different software that is one generation older than the XA2’s latest firmware. You can flash it with the latest Toshiba firmware than they are equal. XA2 has one extra button on its remote control that allows access to HQV reon enhancements. You can use a harmony or find a XA2 remote to access this functionality.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2021, 19:49 
Serious fan
Serious fan

substance wrote:
It’s a XA2 clone internally. Externally, it’s identical to the Integra DHS 8.8. They run on different software that is one generation older than the XA2’s latest firmware. You can flash it with the latest Toshiba firmware than they are equal. XA2 has one extra button on its remote control that allows access to HQV reon enhancements. You can use a harmony or find a XA2 remote to access this functionality.

I knew the Toshiba firmware could be flashed, but I don't have a CD-R drive left in the house to make an update CD. I didn't know about the Reon menu access... is the Toshiba firmware required, or just the XA2 codes on the Harmony?

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2021, 19:59 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

shopkins82 wrote:
substance wrote:

I knew the Toshiba firmware could be flashed, but I don't have a CD-R drive left in the house to make an update CD. I didn't know about the Reon menu access... is the Toshiba firmware required, or just the XA2 codes on the Harmony?

I don’t remember how I flashed mine. I thought I used a usb drive. The latest Toshiba firmware fixes playback issues with some HD discs. I don’t remember which ones. It’s been a while I powered on my Integra or Onkyo. You need the remote for the Reon menu. There is a noise reduction function that’s somewhat useful. Toshiba almost perfected the software on the XA2 before pulled the plug completely. The only thing they never addressed was auto switching between 24p and 60p. They never had a source direct mode either but that wasn’t common at all in that era.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2021, 20:03 
Serious fan
Serious fan

One quirk I've found is that if I set "Digital Direct" to ON in the Sound menu, I get Bitstream TrueHD (don't have a DTS-HD MA disc to test) but no menu or DD+ sound. If I set it to OFF, I get Multichannel LPCM for all formats. I'm not sure what firmware I'm on right now, or if this is a quirk of that firmware version... any ideas?

PostPosted: 06 May 2021, 19:53 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Does it have the same problem with the front flap spring that the XA2 has where the tray motor can't quite produce enough torque to open it without a little help?

PostPosted: 06 May 2021, 19:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Mine has no issue with it... no clue if they do in general.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2022, 02:59 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Integra DHS-8.8 only made it to the US market for a short while, but I found out from a Polish website that the Onkyo iteration reached US but also Europe:

Onkyo DV-HD805 (USA, R1)
Onkyo DV-HD805 (EU, R2)

Julien

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]