It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:29

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: THX Certified HD-DVDs
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2021, 23:07 
Third post and above
Third post and above

So I ended up getting into HD-DVD earlier in the year, got myself a 360 HD-DVD drive and a 360, and I've got the entire two certified HD-DVDs. I wasn't sure about where to post these otherwise, and I figure that since nobody talks about them, it would be worth bringing up here.

I got this one, a Warner disc that isn't rotted (I assume because it wasn't pressed in the plant that infamously had no QC) Brave Story (2006) [WBHA-86855], and the "Ultimate Edition" of Pan's Labyrinth, in French, of course. Neither were cheap, as the latter was only released as a part of a five-disc set and costed quite a hefty sum of money in total. Brave Story I only got for some $23 and it surprisingly has DD+EX @ 2Mbps where the BD version only has DDEX @ 640kbps. Neither have the DTS-ES or english subtitle tracks from the DVD, though. I didn't actually go into either movie for the film, as I wouldn't have bought all three editions of Brave Story if I wanted to watch the movie. I ended up getting them for their THX intros, and since Brave Story on the site is purported to be the only THX certified HD-DVD, I came in to say that's wrong. There are technically three, as there was a promotional HD-DVD released for Pan's Labyrinth.

Brave Story uses the elusive "Tex 3" trailer, https://youtu.be/pQtuU6x0ceo
Pan's Labyrinth uses Cavalcade, https://youtu.be/yp2Ov3TDzBs
and the promotional disc for Pan's Labyrinth has Cavalcade and Ziegfeld https://youtu.be/7u00PUXUr74 .

If anything further is needed, I'd be happy to provide.

Post subject: Re: THX Certified HD-DVDs
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2021, 23:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Have been looking for that Brave Story HD-DVD for a long time.
Maybe one day I'll be lucky.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2021, 03:21 
Site Admin
Site Admin

retrodude wrote:
I got this one, a Warner disc that isn't rotted (I assume because it wasn't pressed in the plant that infamously had no QC)

This really only applies to HDDVDs sold in North America.

EU or Japan pressed discs are holding up fine.

retrodude wrote:
Since Brave Story on the site is purported to be the only THX certified HD-DVD, I came in to say that's wrong. There are technically three, as there was a promotional HD-DVD released for Pan's Labyrinth.

The right way would be to submit missing titles and post disc updates to correct this information :-)

Julien

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2021, 02:41 
Third post and above
Third post and above

admin wrote:
The right way would be to submit missing titles and post disc updates to correct this information :-)

I'd be quite glad to. Is there any place I can submit screenshots (for said THX trailers) and/or add the THX trailer box? I know that neither the Tex 3 trailer nor the Cavalcade trailer are on the site, (as they weren't on D-VHS and these are the only THX HD-DVDs) so I would be glad to give the screenshots I can. I'm not especially sure as to how to add any of that stuff myself (including audio tracks, so any kind of editing FAQ would be quite welcome) but would be glad to if there is a way. Having any kind of public information available for these is something I've been trying to do with these discs since I bought them as HD-DVDs as it is are generally not thought of, and ones being THX-certified I would assume are a foreign concept to most.

As far as scans for these go, I will be glad to submit them (even though they'll have to be quite small).

lons_vex wrote:
Have been looking for that Brave Story HD-DVD for a long time.
Maybe one day I'll be lucky.

Today may be your luckiest. As long as you can use a proxy service, you can get it for a relatively reasonable price. https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B000ICL40U

edit: I found the HD-DVD box set for Pan's Labyrinth here. It was listed under Universal Home Entertainment rather than Wild Side Video so that's what threw me for a loop. Labyrinthe de Pan, Le (Laberinto del fauno, El) (2006) [1382]

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]