It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:11

Page 62 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 01:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I took a look at the set online. On sale for 25gbp on the Arrow site btw.

You know what really bothered me? You know what really made me sad?

The great original artwork you posted isn't present on the packaging anywhere, just some weird reinterpretations to make it look more modern?? WHY would you want to do that? Why pay someone to make the artwork worse? Why not just buy the rights to the artwork along with the movies??

To be honest I would be ashamed to have this on my shelf. It looks crap.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 04:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
I took a look at the set online. On sale for 25gbp on the Arrow site btw.

You know what really bothered me? You know what really made me sad?

The great original artwork you posted isn't present on the packaging anywhere, just some weird reinterpretations to make it look more modern?? WHY would you want to do that? Why pay someone to make the artwork worse? Why not just buy the rights to the artwork along with the movies??

To be honest I would be ashamed to have this on my shelf. It looks crap.

The original poster artwork is included as a reversible sleeve so you're just crying foul about nothing.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 07:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Can confirm. The original posters are on reversible sleeves. 5 fun films for 5 quid each is great value!

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 23:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Watched the 1972 film The New Centurions tonight. This was the Indicator Blu Ray disc.

Quite literally this film is absolutely f'ing brilliant. Nothing further to add at all. What a film. :clap:

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 17:45 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I think Scott is super underrated, but he did a lot of crap, but then again most of the films from the 70s were crap so you can't blame him too much.
Took the VHS scene to find out what formulas work and now they stick with formulas hard, so then if you really think about it 70s films may not be
that crappy.

Need to check out these Sartana films, I boycott Bluray but I did see a cheapie set on DVD may be questionable PQ but may have to take the risk.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 18:12 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

jakeheke wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
rein-o wrote:
The ones that I really like are some of the classics, Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Fistful of Dynamite, Once Upon a Time in the West are always classics.

The others I like and have on LD are:
Bullet For the General, A (1967) [SF047-1772]
J & S: Criminal Story of an Outlaw Couple (1972) [BELL-904]

Also really liked My Name is Nobody.

Haven't heard of the Sartana until Ted posted and do want to check them out.
Other stuff I've seen but after a while they are like Samurai or Kung Fu films, only a handful are superb and the rest are fun but not amazing to me.

Fist Full of Dynamite (aka: Duck You Sucker) is amazing. It makes the Dollars movies look like a commercial or a music video or something.

Zeta, do you have Duck you sucker on LD? Curious if its a good. Poor transfer or good? This film has been on my watchlist.

I have it, I remember it being good also. At the moment my setup is down so I can’t check it.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 18:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
I think Scott is super underrated, but he did a lot of crap, but then again most of the films from the 70s were crap so you can't blame him too much.
Took the VHS scene to find out what formulas work and now they stick with formulas hard, so then if you really think about it 70s films may not be
that crappy.

Need to check out these Sartana films, I boycott Bluray but I did see a cheapie set on DVD may be questionable PQ but may have to take the risk.

Wasn't he in Patton? I've not seen that, heard it's good. 70's films are awesome!

I would advise going for the Arrow Sartana set if you can. Avoid the DVD's if possible as they are nowhere near the standard of the Blu box. I hope you enjoy them, they are lots of fun. After seeing all five official films I would advise to watch them in order for sure. The extras on.each disc are well worth the time too. It's a really good value set.

Also, New Centurions I would just go for the Indicator Blu Ray. I was absolutely floored by that film last night. I watched the interviews afterwards and it.was a real eyeopener.

Talking about filming in Watts during a time of great tension. Arguments over casting and the script (trying to keep it spoiler free so im being deliberately vague).

It isn't a police procedure film. It is just bleak and f'ing horrible. Which is precisely why it is so good. One scene really bothered me about halfway through. Watch the film and you'll probably know exactly which scene. It was so well acted, so well made. Just an excellent film. It's probably in my all time top 20 even top 15 film list now.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 20:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah Patton but also Hardcore and some others that I can't remember.
When we had netflix I remember he was in some crazy film where he wore prosthetic teeth or something and may have flown a plane with a redhead women.
Not bad but not good, just odd.

He was also in a bad horror film of the time, sort of like that Heston one where he is an archeologist or something, Lots of films that were super shoestring budgets
and poor stories from the 70s.

Scott was also in Day of the Dolphin.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 23:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Watched the new HD release of Death Has Blue Eyes tonight. What a bizarre film. It's like the director had a bag of Story Cubes, rolled them out on the boardroom table and said "Here, make this a film. That'll do."

It's an interesting obscurity for such a rare film, but essentially really is a load of old hokum. It's a shame really because it does have some.interesting moments and also a great soundtrack. It's just the film is cobbled together so shoddily and is all over the place that you're left bemused as to whether what you've watched seriously got the green light.

A film with serious potential executed very poorly.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 02:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Another non-LD review, Teddanson, you inspired me.

City War (1988)

Got the Fortune Star / Panorama R3 release (with cool postcard).

This one has always bypassed me. Fat at his peak, just before The Killer although this is directed by Sun Cheung who mainly did kung fu stuff before and after this.

This is an eponymous film for everything I love in '80s HK action flicks. Lots of shots of Hong Kong, cool cops and gangsters, weaponry, some canto-pop and peak mansions.

Man to me that would be the peak of human existance. To have lived on the peak in a modern '80s mansion in the '80s and take your Japanese sports car to the spots to get all the latest toys, model kits, laserdiscs, airguns, electronics etc etc all before they even hit street retail in Japan probably and all tax free.. then marry '80s Maggie Cheung (who isn't in this movie btw) through a forced arranged marriage because you're the richest man in Hong Kong... 遊戲結束! Hahahahhaaha

The original title card is only in the preview, not the film. It's been replaced by a dodgy "modernised" logo probably put on the 2010 release :x

Anyway if you want to see women and children get blown away in gory detail this is a great movie too. So brutal, so good. There's a great sequence at the beginning with a young shoplifter willing to throw away his young life. There's a guy (won't tell you who) who gets hit with a shotgun and the round kind of explodes inside him and exits through the sides of his body, it's good. But then there's classic tone change sequences of ridiculous over the top comedy, like the scene with the set up date of Fat. of course which makes this just standard and classic HK fare. Excellent. So excellent.

This was way better than Fatal Vacation which looks great on the cover but f***ing Eric Tsang just ruined it.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 08:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Haven't seen this Chow Yun Fat film yet. Added to the watchlist.

This would have been made around the same time he did Tiger On The Beat perhaps?

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 09:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah same year but not sure how HKMDB orders them, in release order? I guess it's tricky because someone like Fat could always be working on multiple films at one time in that era.

http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?i ... ay_set=eng

Every few years I do a bulk order of DVDs through YesAsia. Stuff from the day I haven't seen in good quality and stuff I've never seen, all from the day. A lot of OOP stuff has been re released this year, at least in the genres I like it seems. The Fortune Star DVDs usually cost about US$10 a piece and are quality widescreen releases, cleaned up but not TOO cleaned up, usually no bonus content at all, but always with original Cantonese soundtracks which is key to me. A Mandarin dub ruins my day, every day. .

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 13:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I watched an interview with Maria Aliferi after Death Has Blue Eyes last night. She said that one of the cast, Peter Winter, had an affair with someone on the crew (didn't state if it was specifically cast or crew) during filming. The affair ended in a pregnancy according to Aliferi.

I watched another interview with director Nico Mastorakis in celebration of his 80th birthday today. It's interesting to learn he crafted his trade in the late 1960's and very early 1970's on Greek television networks. To be fair, he made a show called Chase which looks really cool.

He formed a partnership with a soft p0rn director who was brutally murdered in real life not long after Death Has Blue Eyes. From what Mastorakis says in the interview video, the guy he worked with would shoot 'hardcore' inserts for various films 'after hours' on the sets. He said it's possible a hardcore version of Death Has Blue Eyes could exist but he's never seen it or come across it (excuse crude pun).

Mastorakis wasn't paid for making the film, he instead asked for a percentage of the gross profits. Apparently he said he received nothing from the film, the p0rn baron never paid him a cent. The cast were paid peanuts as well.

According to Mastorakis, the film was a logistical nightmare as he had planned far too many locations in the script and had no money to do it all. This led to him even filming the 'round bed scene in his own home as he had nowhere else to go.

Then there's the stunts and effects. He had no money so used his experience in rally driving to do some work himself and also got some local daredevils to help out with motorbike scenes. The pyrotechnics were done by the only pyro guy in the country in 1974. He said for the blood he resorted to ketchup! To top it off his partner of 5 years left him.

After learning all this and lots more about what went on just to get the film made, I've developed more respect for it. Even more respect for Mastorakis and his television work under the Greek Junta (dictatorship).

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 00:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Watched Profondo Rosso tonight, the full fat 127 minute version in Italian.

It's very stylish and the plot did have me guessing to the end. It just felt a bit lacking. Perhaps the edited USA version is a better cut? It would certainly remove a lot of the fluff in it. Those elements drag the film along where it could work better with more urgent pacing.

There are moments where it really is a beautiful film, Argento is a master, of that there is no doubt. I guess after Suspiria I just expected something more.

A good film, with a brilliant Goblin score as usual, but I don't think it's Argento's best film imho.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 08:46 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan in 4K HDR10 with DTS-HD MA 5.1 on Kaleidescape. Download size 63.4GB. I think the biggest improvement is in the colors. There is a subtle but decent bump in the overall sharpness and detail too. Hopefully they will release this on disc one day so it reaches to broader audiences.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 02:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The Romancing Star (1987)

Fortune Star / Panorama R3 DVD

Saw this once years ago. This copy is very clean but not messed with like all Fortune Star releases, includes the dead fish scene that was deleted from an earlier Mei Ah release. I thought it was a funny scene. Maybe gangsters wanted it taken out because it references slang for killing enemies of the mafia?

I laughed out loud a lot of times. The funniest part is when Fat gets hypnotised to be "cultured and sophisticated" and he's basically the same guy but says "oh" and a few other random English words a lot with a weird Cantonese version of a British accent.

Other casual racism includes stereotypes of Indian people as dirty and perverted.

Everyone in this movie is a stereotype of course though.

It's good this hasn't and never will be cancelled or deleted from history because it's Chinese and the idiots in the West that are destroying our history won't even know about it and to them only white people can be racist anyway so it wouldn't even register with them if they saw it.

Fat is a really good actor, I'm reminded in this again. He can look really uncool and goofy as a poor mechanic but can instantly transform into a casanova cool guy at the drop of a hat. I don't know what he does, it's not just the clothes or the hairstyle, it's something with his face, he can portray a lot of "range".

As usual Maggie is a doll in this. Just really enjoy every second she's on screen, she has no bad angles or sides, she's adorable at all times. Had a crush on her since I was a teenager, always will.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 10:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Watched the juicy Australian DVD of The Keep last night. I think I'm still trying to process what I watched and if I liked it.

On the one side, it's a bit of an incomprehensible mess. Though take in to account that Paramount instructed Michael Mann to butcher his 3.5 hour vision down to a mere 1.5 hours. That's a lot of potential story and exposure just flat out dumped on the cutting room floor. If you take that as the main focal point then it's no wonder the film feels so erratic. On the other hand, if you fill in the gaps yourself, you can build some form of comprehension of The Keep.

I have a thing for films, plays, stories and television shows set in one location. I think using a single setting encourages writers to become especially creative when locations are so heavily restricted. I think The Keep is no different, and at it's heart it's a fairly simple story. The problem is that because the film was stripped back to bare bones, the story becomes very flimsy and stitched together with the weakest of thread. If Mann could have been permitted to perhaps create a director's cut for a home video release, even if it wasn't the full 3.5 hour epic, an extra 30 or 45 minutes tacked on would have likely really helped to flesh out the story. The backstories behind Glaeken Trismegestus and Molasar would benefit vastly from an extended cut and I'd be reasonably confident that Michael Mann had this covered off in his desired vision but it was likely lost in the Paramount butchering process.

I loved the set of The Keep. It looked like the whole film was set in Sigourney Weaver's refrigerator in Ghostbusters. It also has those trademark early 1980's glow effects, examples being Molasar's eyes and Glaeken's ultimate destructor weapon which look so dated today yet inexplicably still appear so pleasing.

The soundtrack is of course scored, now somewhat infamously, by the incredible Tangerine Dream. The early 1980's syntheizer sounds surge and swell beautifully. It does feel though that the score tends to overpower the film more often than not. It's also rather loud in places, possibly down to poor mixing and mastering. I had to enable the Clear Voice feature on my soundbar as the score got too noisy at times and drowned out the actors voices. There were also times when the actors voices were whisper quiet, so again deploying Clear Voice helped make the dialogue a bit clearer. I don't think this is a fault of the DVD, which has the original 2.0 stereo track on it, as older reviews of the VHS, Laserdisc and even the cinema versions all state similar concerns with the audio over the years.

Regarding the DVD picture quality, you get a proper 2:35:1 presentation. I'm unsure what source was used here. For the most part the picture is good, despite some blocking/artifacting which is likely a mix of the SD resolution of DVD and my Panasonic UB820 upscaling the image with the HCX chip on board. A couple of moments in the film looked a little out of place, like specific scenes were taken using alternate film elements. There's nothing on the DVD case blurb that states otherwise, and you get absolutely nothing on this disc at all besides a rather ropey looking theatrical trailer. You don't even get any subtitles or alternate audio or commentary tracks. Just the film, a trailer and a cheap looking menu with two options, Play Feature and Play Trailer. With all of that said, this is probably the best The Keep has ever looked and sounded as of April 2021 so if you are on the fence then don't be, just get this DVD and make absolutely sure it's the Australian Viavision release.

It boggles the mind why this was released on DVD in a time when Blu Ray and Ultra HD are preferred, especially by collectors, enthusiasts, film buffs and all the rest of it. The film received a rare theatrical presentation a couple of years ago in the USA. It was revealed that the theatre hosting the presentation had shipped in a 35mm original camera negative which was loaned out to them from the British Film Institute. So in that respect, it's comforting to know that a 35mm print exists and is in the safe hands of the BFI. I do wonder then if perhaps any potential future Blu Ray or Ultra HD release could come from a brand new 4K or 2K scan of those negatives to be released on the BFI label? Why it hasn't been done until now is perhaps something only Paramount and Michael Mann can answer, or perhaps there is a whole minefield of red tape to navigate and it's just not worth it.

It's a crying shame in my humble opinion. I think a BFI release with a nice booklet, still photos, cast and crew interviews and so on would be great. Similar to what BFI did with their excellent release of the Pet Shop Boys film It Couldn't Happen Here. The icing on the cake I am sure would be to have an interview with Michael Mann on the disc where he could perhaps talk freely, and at length, about the film and his vision. Set the record straight. Wishful thinking of course, but life is too short so hopefully some day in the near future it could be realised.

Oh and about the Tangerine Dream score, it took me a minute to realise (and then I checked in the end credits) but yes, that is an ambient synth version of Howard Blake's 'The Snowman' playing out at the end of the film! Sadly it's not on the Tidal release of the soundtrack and I'm not sure where it is actually available. It sounds wonderful though and is a great interpretation of a very famous piece of music.

For all it's faults I think I enjoyed The Keep. Yes it's a bit of a mess, but it's so much more than the sum of it's parts. It's just a pity that until now we haven't got to see all of them.

And we probably never will...

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 22:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Dang if I found myself spinning up "The Stand" again !
Such a apropos journey during this epoch !

Moved by the myriad array of cast and stories.

The only thing that really matters has been drivin home once again !

How will we "stand"....... ?

Cheers to the membership....

Hang tough mates

J

Last edited by firehorse_44 on 15 Apr 2021, 21:32, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Acta Non Verba .....
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum ....
Si Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc ......

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 23:49 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I recorded the 1080i broadcast version several years ago from one of the premium movie channels. I think it was Showtime. I had Verizon Fios at the time which was said to have uncompressed versions of the broadcasts. I still have it on my TiVo somewhere in the storage. I need to transfer that to disc some day. I believe I have the Abyss and a few other titles recorded in HD on that same TiVo.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2021, 06:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good morning everyone,

I hope you are all well and taking good care of yourselves, staying alert and keeping strong.

Due to the many hours I have worked of late and also due to the personal decision to take a Lump sum as a result of choosing redundancy.

My mind body and spirit shall be taking a month out Trekking, Scrambling and fully enjoying photography alone the Countryside Vales, Meadows, Woodlands, Forests, Mountain Climbing and being fully absorbed experiencing Waterfalls, Rivers, Lakes, and breathing in the multitude of the many landscapes that I love.

For one body beckons three not to waver from this path, and for the first time in my life I must take this opportunity to return to th mental state I once had when I was a child, to smell the blossoms, feel the fresh breeze of springtime and to escape the traps of this world for a time.

I am emotionally drawn and have been so for some time now, for I need to get away for there much more to life, so I shall mentally return to the roots of my very being.

I hope that some or maybe all here, are able to relate in part or in full with the above rambling that shall come to pass in less than three weeks.

Getting back to the topic: What have you been watching?
1) 4K Lord Of The Rings ''Return Of The King''
2) DVD A Town Called Eureka 2006-2010 series
3) Blu-Ray Unhinged with Russel Crowe

To all those here that I have never met, I bid you well with all Sincerity

Kindest Regards from the UK

Page 62 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 76  Next