It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:05

Page 63 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2021, 12:04 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Enjoy the time off, benmbe. Nobody deserves it more than you.

I was also canned this year. I haven’t been unemployed in over a decade and I’m SO enjoying it.

I’ve watched a number of LDs recently but Gauche the Cellist (1982) [K78L-1001] is the only new one. It’s a great movie, a great LD, thumbs up and all that.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2021, 13:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I’ve watched a number of LDs recently but Gauche the Cellist (1982) [K78L-1001] is the only new one. It’s a great movie, a great LD, thumbs up and all that.

I watched this a while back. It is so very good! Is the LD any good? I watched the HD release which looks pretty darn marvellous.

Sorry to hear about the news on the employment front. It will get better. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2021, 14:10 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It IS better, I don’t have to go to work! The last three projects I’ve worked on have been quite taxing. I’ve got some money and I’m more needed at home these days.

The LD looked fine, no issues to speak of.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2021, 14:36 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I picked up the DVD of Brazil, wanted the theatrical release as that's what I remember growing up and watched on early USA LD
but it seems the possible only way to get the theatrical version is on bluray, the criterion on DVD and Bluray are all the directors cut and or the love conquers all.

Its almost a perfect film for what's going on today, make sure you have those correct forums......

My LD in our bedroom is a 503 and slips during spinup so my only place to watch LDs is downstairs but I have too much work that I can't focus on films
just have to be playing in the background with my downstairs setup now.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2021, 16:50 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I decided to watch the movie "Taming of the Scoundrel" again. One of my favorite comedies. I love Adriano Celentano, he is a wonderful actor and sings very cool.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2021, 23:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Watched 1977 obscurity Death Promise tonight and what a treat it was!

The plot (as if it needed one) focuses on sleazy landlords in New York taking advantage of an apartment building's residents. They want them out so they can demolish the building to make way for a new greedy moneymaker, and they'll do anything to evict the tenants...

Except they push one man to the limits!!!

This film is surprisingly good. It's an attempt to move a martial arts film outside of it's traditional settings and for the most part it works. The acting is absolutely deplorable, the editing and numerous revealing mistakes (drink every time.you spot a boom mic) are plentiful, but the heart and the soul of the film is strong.

Death Promise means well and does it's best to put out something that does copycat a lot of films that have gone before, but does try to put it's own spin on it. I have to say as well that the plot twist at the end genuinely caught me by surprise. When it happened it all clicked and I muttered to myself that I should have spotted the twist earlier, but kudos to director Robert Warmflash for pulling off that ending. Well done indeed.

You get a good value cast here with our main hero, Charley Roman (Charles Bonet) playing an enthusiastic Tony Monero from Saturday Night Fever with extraordinary martial arts skills. His best friend Speedy (Speedy Leacock) should be knighted for his astonishing jumpsuit and Asics sneakers during the end boss fight. Oh and you also get an appearance from Enter The Dragon emeritus Tony Liu! They're all terrible at acting but their martial arts skills and choreography are first class.

The soundtrack is just in a world of it's own. Trademark 1970's wacka wacka jangly guitars and shuffling drumbeats vomit all over this film. It is absolutely glorious, especially the Death Promise theme song sung by the band Opus. I'd buy the soundtrack if it was available.

Death Promise delivers the action in waves. A little bit of story, some exposure, action, rinse and repeat. Despite it's many flaws, I think underneath it all is a solid film that delivers entertainment in spades.

I had a great time. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2021, 23:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Watched Cinema Paradiso for the first time ever today.

Christ on a bike you'd want to have a heart as black as coal if you don't like that film.

It's brilliant. One of the best films I've ever seen.

'Fine'.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2021, 01:29 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Haven't seen that one in years, and don't actually know if I've ever seen the entire film, maybe just parts of it??

Watched City War 1988 last night, fun HK action flick, no Killer but its a good one.

Today was Love on a Diet, another HK film, took a risk on that one as I've never heard of it, 2 Chinese ex-pats living in Japan fat skinny love diet fun.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2021, 13:47 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

teddanson wrote:

Christ on a bike you'd want to have a heart as black as coal if you don't like that film.

'Fine'.

Thanks for your feedback. I have not seen this film, but I wanted to see it. I prefer mostly non-super-famous films, but which have a deep meaning.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2021, 10:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

sunnyleslie wrote:
teddanson wrote:

'Fine'.

Thanks for your feedback. I have not seen this film, but I wanted to see it. I prefer mostly non-super-famous films, but which have a deep meaning.

I'll watch almost anything, though often I end up down 42nd Street rabbit holes. That's where I want to be and that's alright with me! :D

Cinema Paradiso is one of those films that's just hovered around me for years and years. Wished I'd seen it earlier now, it's a wonderful piece of filmmaking.

Last night I watched The Case Of The Scorpion's Tail. Another fine 1970's Giallo from Italy, yet this one is filmed on location in the UK and Greece! It stars George Hilton (yes, the same George Hilton from Sartana's Here...Trade Your Pistol For A Coffin!) and the brilliant Anita Strindberg (who's been in loads of stuff) as a private detective and a reporter (respectively) on the trail of a widow who is set to inherit $1 million from her late husband's estate. There are however other people keen to get their hands on the money bequeathed to her!

It's an interesting film from Sergio Martino. Visually it's a bit of a treat as you get some classic filmamking here but also some really creative stuff too. In particular a scene with George Hilton in a police station that is filmed like a mobile phone video in portrait mode but rotated by 90 degrees! From what I can find out about the film it was made around 1971 when the jet age was very much in full swing. With the dawn of the jet age in the 1960's and 70's came the ability to travel the globe and thus The Case Of The Scorpion's Tail appears to embrace this golden age 100% with scenes set in London and Greece instead of on sound stages in Italy or Spain.

There's a nice score to the film too, by Bruno Nicolai no less (yes, he scored some Sartana films too!). Less of the 1970's wacka wacka jangly guitars and more subtle piano pieces and softer drum rolls. I think it compliments the film. If made any later in the decade I think a more disco style score would have possibly dampened the suspense effect present throughout.

With regards the casting and the plot I think you get some good turns here. Hilton and Strindberg have a good on screen rapport (when they're not humping each other every 5 minutes) and the climax (excuse the pun) sequence is especially good. You get a good supporting cast here too. Tom Felleghy is in this picture, he was excellent in Live Like A Cop, Die Like A Man, and is just as good here too. Ida Galli and Janine Reynaud also put in some especially good performances that soak in nicely to the ever twisting plot.

Ah the plot. It twists and turns like a twisty turny thing. Which is what you want from a juicy Giallo flick! The outcome did become a little obvious towards the end, but for the most part it does tick all the Giallo boxes and would certainly make Jessica Fletcher's head melt if she were investigating. I certainly enjoyed this film more than Deep Red which I watched earlier this month. Not that Deep Red is a poor film, I appreciate it for what it is. Just this film I found more engaging in comparison.

If this film should cross your path (it's on Arrow Video) then do give it a chance. It's a good film to pass 95 minutes.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2021, 13:24 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone which like LOTR if it would be on laserdisc would be a very massive set.

I've read the books years ago but I hardly remember anything but how did trevor (neville's frog) get from being lost on the train to standing directly in front of professor Mcgonagall at the top of the stairs before he sort hat scene. This makes no sense in the movie

Yes I am watching the British version as I imported it.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2021, 14:08 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Finally, the ViewSonic SVGA projector I ordered came. In summer weather, after sunset, we will arrange an open-air cinema in the courtyard. I have cartoon tapes. I think the kids will love it! Yesterday I already tried to look through the projector "Gone with the Wind" - this is something, such a special atmosphere is created.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2021, 14:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

just sat once more through one of my lesser childhood staples; "EARTH II" (1971) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_II

my mom made a concentrated effort to make me into a total NASA space cadet when i was a boy back in the mid/late-80's,
and this was but one of the multitude of NASA space program-themed films and documentaries she taped off of CATV for me back then.

anyhow, a pretty vanilla Pilot for seemed to be shaping up to be a rather bland Soap-opera-grade T.V. series that never happened.

still, i did watch it multiple times back in my childhood, so the personal nostalgia is quite certainly there to be readily had...

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2021, 15:45 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

tasuke wrote:
just sat once more through one of my lesser childhood staples; "EARTH II" (1971) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_II

my mom made a concentrated effort to make me into a total NASA space cadet when i was a boy back in the mid/late-80's,
and this was but one of the multitude of NASA space program-themed films and documentaries she taped off of CATV for me back then.

anyhow, a pretty vanilla Pilot for seemed to be shaping up to be a rather bland Soap-opera-grade T.V. series that never happened.

still, i did watch it multiple times back in my childhood, so the personal nostalgia is quite certainly there to be readily had...

I watched the one from the 90s a few years ago. I didn’t know it was a remake. The 90s version was actually very good but it was canceled before an actual ending. I need to watch this version too now.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2021, 17:11 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Saw the new Mortal Kombat in theaters.

Was better than the horribly choreographed 1995 film (though I do still enjoy that cheezy flick.) And no whitewashing the Japanese Thunder God this time around!

Just wish they would pronounce "Raiden" properly once and for all, but after nigh on 30 years of mispronunciation, I guess that's never going to change.

Here's the first 7 minutes if you want to check it out...

PostPosted: 03 May 2021, 19:58 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I've slowly been making my way through my Dirty Harry Box Set, so yesterday morning I watched The Enforcer for the first time. Probably my favorite one in the series, so far, followed very closely by 'Magnum Force.'

I just finished watching The Thing, and now I'm going to enjoy Last Action Hero.

PostPosted: 04 May 2021, 00:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Watched Horton Hears A Who today. A fun film, thoroughly enjoyed it!

PostPosted: 05 May 2021, 16:33 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Last night I finished watching Sixty Million Dollar Man.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112446/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

The posting on imdb is spot on from Mobius-9

I've seen a couple of Hong Kong movies through the years but this is something to write a note on. It defies synopses so I just give you the recipe: Frankenstein+Pulp Fiction+Class of 1999+The Mask (with Jim Carrey)+The Terminator. Mix this well with some tried-and-true HK-style slapstick (the Mad Mission type) and you got this movie. The plot is almost non-existent, just one set-piece comes after another.

Originality is not an issue with this movie (well, maybe a water tap for p**is is something new), but nevertheless I laughed myself silly watching it.

Try this on a gloomy day!

PostPosted: 07 May 2021, 18:22 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Amour De Femm. one of the better lesbian films I've seen. Blue is the warmest color is overrated. Lesbian films can be hit or miss it seems. some can be overly annoying and others just a p0rn0 with little or no regular movie stuff.

PostPosted: 10 May 2021, 00:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Watched two films tonight.

First up, a documentary I've seen about 6 jillion times already but one more time can't hurt! The superb When We Were Kings.

If you've never seen it, watch it.

Next up I revisited the Universal Monsters Blu Ray box set. I'm watching all of them in order so tonight I picked up where I left off with film 6, The Wolf Man.

I had mixed thoughts at first on this one. It has a so-so start with all the drama school grade acting and a couple of sloppy edits, mainly in the opening sequence when Larry returns home to his father.

But it got better as the film went on. There's some absolutely gorgeous set design here and about as much fog as you'll see in both Sigourney Weaver's fridge in Ghostbusters and 1983 headmelter The Keep which I saw the other day.

The acting does get a bit shrill and a bit 'I'll be in my trailer darling, curled up with a bottle of Amaretto'. Also I can't get used to seeing Ralph Bellamy as a young man. Every time he opens his mouth all I hear is the words Winthrop and Valentine. I can't help it. It's engraved in to my psyche.

I read in the booklet in the box set that the make up removal for the wearwolf transition scenes was shot frame by frame and took 10 hours to complete. If transition sequences were all shot like that then no wonder actors were all heroin addicts in the 1940's and 50's.

The make up was pretty good for the time, though when the main man appears for the first time as the wolf man, all I could see was the lead singer from The Wonders in Tom Hanks bopfest That Thing You Do! (whopper film by the way).

Anyway, it's a fun film though it does end a bit abruptly. Like the director had a nervous breakdown or something and said 'right enough of this s**t, end the film here now'.

And so The Wolf Man ends. Pretty much immediately in it's urgency.

6 down, 2 to go!

Page 63 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 76  Next