It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:52

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Devils: Japanese LD length
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2022, 13:10 
Second post
Second post

Hello everyone, I'm a loyal reader but it's my first message (and topic).

I've got a question concerning the Japanese LD Devils, The (1971) [NJL-11110] for Ken Russell's movie The Devils.
LDDB indicates a length of 109 min but in his book about the film, Richard Crouse writes "It was the British version that was released [...] presented at the original projection speed" so logically it should be 111 min.

So who's wrong here ? I'm doing some some research about The Devils and I'm trying to gather the most accurate informations possible.
I think Crouse is mistaken and the LD offers the US X cut (so 109 min would be correct), but I can't check myself. If anyone here has this LD, it could be a great help if he/she could verify the length of the movie. :)

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

Post subject: Re: The Devils: Japanese LD length
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2022, 22:43 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

By 1971 24fps was standard for several decades. To mess with that would be extremely avant guard.

Are we taking about the difference between NTSC and PAL?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2022, 23:10 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I have two questions.

1 is it possible that the transfer is from PAL and left at the speed up?

2 are you trying to get this uncut version of the film? I thought they released this already on DVD and or Bluray which would I'm sure be cheaper to own.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2022, 19:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It's possible that the film was shot and produced in 25fps but played back in 24fps in cinemas like any other film. Actually it has been fairly common in Europe throughout the years with some examples being very obvious like The Beatles films. This can cause confusion with the contrasts between production and distribution.

A 111 minutes feature would result in a 106 minutes PAL master, meaning that we can rule out any PAL conversions with the information we've currently got. While the runtime suggests that it is the US cut, I don't own the film and therefore cannot confirm it.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2022, 13:27 
Second post
Second post

First of all, thanks everyone for your answers.

I'm not trying to own the LD, I'd just like to clarify the announced length for the various video releases of the film (at least the most important ones) and therefore which cut was used.
Especially because the author of the book I'm translating seems confused when he talks about these releases.
The Devils was shot in 24fps, no question about it.
And a PAL speed-up would indeed cause a 106 min runtime for the 111 min UK version (which is the case of the 2012 BFI DVD).

In short, is the 109 min announced on the japanese LD sleeve the real duration of the movie on this laserdisc ?
Unfortunately, only an owner of this item will be able to answer.

But hey, everything is confused about all this (information are contradictory between the book, Imdb, Wikipedia, Melonfarmers, Movie-Censorship...). That's all part of the "fun".

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]