It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:19

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Internecine Project (1974) WHOPPER film!
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2021, 22:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I literally stumbled upon this film recently and caught the first minute or so of it. I was totally hooked by the opening minutes and had to find out more. Kino Lorber put this out on Blu Ray, alas there doesn't seem to be a Laserdisc edition (that I can find record of). It really was a complete accident that I happened upon the film and I'm so glad I did. I love moments like that, it's up there with blind buys that turned out great buys.

The premise to The Telecine Project (I have a serious problem with the title, it's dreadful) is a very simple one. A man has been offered promotion to a very powerful role in the United States Government. However it is well known he has some dirty laundry that must be cleaned before he can get his new job. Thus our main man decides to kill them all...on the same night.

It's such a simple story and rolls along at a very speedy 89 minutes. The plot doesn't really allow for the audience to bond, or necessarily care for the characters which is a complaint I have read in a few reviews. I think it's a positive as to be honest why should you care about any of the cast? The whole point of the film is the audacious plan in my opinion, and I think the film works all the better for it. James Coburn aside, who is great in this film, a special mention should go out to Michael Jayston, who eagle-eyed viewers may know (ok maybe just me then) as Raquel Turner's dad, James, from Season 8 Episode 3 of Only Fools And Horses!

The soundtrack is great in this film too. Forever moody, suspensful and threatening. I loved it and am going to track a copy down on vinyl preferably. The film has a mono track that is nice, clear and very serviceable. No complaints from me. Picture quality is superb given the age of the film. It looks pin sharp and about as good as you will likely get for such an obscure film.

The film for me though is not just about the grand plan, it's about the ending. It is superb. I didn't expect it as I thought with so little time left until the end that it would be impossible to fit in and explain.properly. it is handled absolutely exquisitely though and gives the viewer a real 'f**k you' slap in the face. I will say no more other than one tiny thought that crossed my mind.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
It would have been nice to end on the tunnel
. That is all I will say.

What a tremendous film though. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I hope even one person who stumbles across this forum post (that I deliberately made separate to the what are you watching thread) buys a copy of the Blu Ray and hopefully enjoys the film too.

Oh, and it's directed by the same bloke who done Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Go figure.

A triumph. Enjoy it.

Post subject: Re: The Internecine Project (1974) WHOPPER film!
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2021, 23:58 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Been on the lookout for Curry and Pepper now this one :lol:

I think Coburn is a hit or miss actor, one of those love or hate him deals?? I may be wrong.
But he didn't have a lot of great film options in that era of the mid 70s.
Only film I actually own that has him in is Duck You Sucker, great spaghetti western film.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2021, 06:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

As far as Coburn films go it's pretty obscure. I would imagine about minus 57 people have seen this film. With that said, he absolutely steals this picture. The supporting cast are pretty good too though it should be said.

I think this is a great little obscure thriller. Opinions and tastes vary of course but I think it's well worth hunting down even if you are mildly curious.

That ending though...wowsers... :clap:

Oh and Curry and Pepper I last saw on VHS years ago. I think a Region.C Blu Ray may be available though. Hunting it down as well!

EDIT: Just a heads up if you do decide to hunt this film down, don't go looking at the trailer or hunting down information etc. Go in totally blind, I think it will prove a far more satisfying experience! Oh and if you don't want to buy the Kino Lorber Blu Ray, Jeff has it to rent on his streaming service he bundles with his free delivery subscription program.

Also a note of caution, avoid any DVD releases as I have read they are all very poor quality. Go for the Blu.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2022, 15:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
a special mention should go out to Michael Jayston, who eagle-eyed viewers may know (ok maybe just me then) as Raquel Turner's dad, James, from Season 8 Episode 3 of Only Fools And Horses!

Just putting this up as a reminder to rein-o now he has gotten hold of a stack of Only Fools & Horses DVD's.

Look out for Michael in Season 8, Episode 3 'Time On Our Hands'! And also, when you do watch that episode, remember the piece I said about the Sidney Potter episode? That was from Season 1 Episode 1 'Big Brother'. Just keep in the back of your mind what I said about a massive clue for the entire show, from S1 E1 to S8 E3 is buried in that Sidney Potter clip I posted.

I shall say no more! :ugeek:

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2022, 16:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I actually forgot about this film, while it looks cool I did watch part on youtube but won't spend money on it.
Unfortunately I don't have season 8, I have 1-5 I believe and Christmas specials.

Watched season 1 and when I get time will be watching other seasons and specials etc.

On another note, I'm sure I can google it but if you guys know why, why are these seasons done in 6 or 7 episodes unlike the US?

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2022, 18:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
I actually forgot about this film, while it looks cool I did watch part on youtube but won't spend money on it.
Unfortunately I don't have season 8, I have 1-5 I believe and Christmas specials.

Watched season 1 and when I get time will be watching other seasons and specials etc.

On another note, I'm sure I can google it but if you guys know why, why are these seasons done in 6 or 7 episodes unlike the US?

Ah here, you didn't watch The Inverse Telecine Project (and it's sequel The Inverse Telecine Project II: The 3:2 Pulldown) in glorious YouTube Potatovision® did you? James Coburn will be turning in his grave!! :shock:

Regarding Only Fools and Horses, it's fairly normal for UK television series to span 6 or 7 episodes over the more well-known 13 or 24 or so episodes that make a season (another excellent UK show Not Going Out is one that springs to mind). I'm not sure of the thinking behind it though, someone with better knowledge than I may be able to help. I think shorter runs are more for mini series with hour long episodes. In the case of OFAH, the show was only granted a short run for the first season on the proviso from the BBC that if the show was a success, they would be granted more episodes.

In reality the first season nearly ended with the show being cancelled as it was screened at a silly time of night and wasn't marketed properly. The BBC wanted it cancelled, and it would have been had the controller of the network not stepped in and spared it. The second season didn't fare much better but numbers did creep up.

Eventually the BBC put faith behind the show and it would eventually go on to be one of the greatest TV shows the BBC ever made. It's won endless awards, the cast are more than household names and it's been consistently voted the greatest British comedy series of all time (spanning awards across decades so the show strikes a chord with several generations, young and old).

The later series became Christmas specials only, hence there being 2 or 3 episodes per season. This was due to a number of factors. I think by season 9 the show did begin to overstay it's welcome a little. However it really is down to the genius of John Sullivan that the show wrapped up so nicely despite issues beyond his control (e.g. cast members passing away in real life). When you take a step back and really analyse the writing of the show, it really is a work of rare comedy genius. In analysis of OFAH it's the type of show that hits the jackpot once in a generation but lasts forever. Seinfeld perhaps being a USA example? OFAH is a stellar show. Endlessly quotable with a rake of scenes you can instantly think up on the spot that made you laugh watching it.

And to think that it was very nearly cancelled too! :lol:

Aside for rein-o: Note that when you get to Season 4, Grandad is replaced by Uncle Albert (played by Buster Merryfield). This happened due to Lennard Pearce, who played Grandad, passing away in real life back in 1984. The first episode of Season 4 was changed to an emergency episode (iirc) called Many Happy Returns in which David Jason's character Del Boy is asked by the girl in the local shop if Grandad is ok in hospital. Of course Lennard Pearce was in hospital in real life at the time and would soon pass away alas. That gave time to get the next show ready which was centred around Grandad's funeral and the introduction of Uncle Albert to the cast.

Personally I preferred Uncle Albert over the years, though the Grandad episodes do have their own charm too. IT'S BLOODY POTTER I'M TELLIN YA! STUFF YER EMPEROR BURGER!!!! :lol:

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2022, 19:44 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah I did read a little on the show and figured about grandad, he is brilliant in his own way.
Love his dead stare sometimes and the burger is just great LOL

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2022, 20:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Yeah I did read a little on the show and figured about grandad, he is brilliant in his own way.
Love his dead stare sometimes and the burger is just great LOL

Glad to read you are enjoying the show. I think unlike shows like Fawlty Towers, Ab Fab and so on, it's a much more niche show and the jokes and slang language may go over a lot of non-UK/Ireland heads.

You got me looking up a bit more around Lennard Pearce there and I didn't realise the Season 4 episode 'Hole In One', where Uncle Albert accidentally-on-purpose falls down the cellar stairs at the Nags Head, was already in production with Grandad having filmed some exterior shots. Those were later re-shot with Buster Merryfield as Uncle Albert and the episode was re-instated to season 4. I'd love to know if those scenes that Lennard Pearce shot exist anywhere. They might turn up in the BBC archives like a bunch of items and footage they found recently that was collated and used on the new Blu Ray box set (that I still must buy soon!).

Also, this totally blew my mind:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2017/10/ ... ll-hitler/

:crazy:

EDIT: I just found this photograph of Grandad in the exterior shots for Hole In One. I imagine this was literally days before his death. That's the first time I've ever seen that photo. Didn't even know anything surrounding that episode before the re-shoots actually existed. No sign of the actual footage though. It was definitely recorded but is still under lock and key apparently. Again, probably hopefully it's in the BBC archives somewhere.

EDIT 2: And another one I've never seen. This one is reportedly the very last photo before his passing. From what I can make of the photo in comparison to the Buster Merryfield episode that aired, this would be the end scene after the trio exit the court building.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]