It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:24

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Addio Zio Tom aka Goodbye Uncle Tom
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2022, 14:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Bit of a controversial one this, more the film than anything, but does anyone know what the actual runtime is on the Korean Laserdisc release of Addio Zio Tom, aka Goodbye Uncle Tom?

LDDB entry is here:

Goodbye Uncle Tom (1971) [SLC-511]

Curious to know what cut of the film was put out and what the release date was for the Laserdisc. What aspect ratio it is etc. The disc gives me the vibe that it's rarer than steak tartare so I doubt I'll get any answers alas. I did check my bible, Spinegrinder, and also leafed through the only volume The Laser Video Disc Companion on my bookshelf and could find no mention of it.

I know that the film is now available on DVD in the uncut 123 mins version, and also the 135 minute extended version (which is actually heavily cut) but that commands insane money as it's OOP.

Anyone able to shed some light on this extremely controversial film on Laserdisc?

Post subject: Re: Addio Zio Tom aka Goodbye Uncle Tom
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2022, 16:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I just thought to add some information that may be interesting to other keen film historians/investigators/general nosey parkers.

I had a trawl through the New York Times archives for any mention of Goodbye Uncle Tom between 1971 and 1973 as the film was withdrawn in 1971 and later re-released after extending the run time and removing a lot of footage (in it's native Italy the original cut of the film was confiscated upon release and never seen again until the recent DVD a couple of years ago). Anyway, the New York Times archive has no mention of it but it does mention the previous film Africa Addio which was released in 1967 in Italy and in the USA in 1970, where it was also withdrawn and re-edited (and also re-titled to Africa Blood and Guts).

Have a look at this screenshot I took below and marked out a few interesting pieces.

1. The mention of the film playing at the Criterion cinema and also mention of Jerry Gross, President of Cinemation Industries (the distributor).
2. Now showing at a cinema near you! Airport! - A good job this newspaper is from 1970. If it was 1979 and an advert for Airport '79: The Concorde, it should have said "If You Missed It! Don't Bother." :lol:
3. Jerry Gross (see 1.) has another film out, Whirlpool, showing at the Cinerama Theatre. The film actually disappeared after 1970 until 2019 when Arrow put it out on Blu Ray.
4. Now showing at a cinema near you! Easy Rider!
5. Bit of speculation here but if my memory serves correctly, this particular documentary about censorship in Denmark might be the one I think referenced or interviewed the infamous 'Boar Girl' (for the love of God DO NOT look that up at work as it's beyond the realms of NSFW).

This was taken from the New York Times dated Saturday August 22, 1970. Page 21 of 49. Almost 52 years to the day. :thumbup:

Talking of Africa Addio though, I did manage to find the original New York Times review of it from Monday March 13, 1967.

...and also a small piece a week later on Tuesday March 21, 1967 that refers to the review by Bosley Crowther shown above. It makes reference to a letter that may have played a part in the film's withdrawal in 1967 and subsequent re-release as Africa Blood and Guts.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2022, 17:06 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Never actually heard of this film before.
If the disc that's posted is actually 2 sides then it has to be shorter since you can't fit that much on 2 sides.
So no longer than 120 max, but probably in the 115-119 min so its possible it could be an original release or a shorter cut of the 130+ version.

You do post and fine some oddballshit to say the least Ted, thx for that, I used to search these types of films out back in the day but now I feel
like I've lost the spark sometimes and love reading the stuff you find even if I may not care for some of the films its great to find info on films I didn't know about.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2022, 18:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'd be keen to know what cut is on that disc. I'd imagine given your explanation on maximum runtime capacity that it would have been the original theatrical version. It would certainly be interesting to find out, especially if it is an alternative cut.

Oh and about that Danish documentary I mentioned. I did some SFW (not NSFW) research and it appears that the director, Alex de Renzy, possibly had some footage from a 1971 film he made (be warned if you look it up its absolutely NSFW) included in a VERY infamous bootleg of a film 'Boar Girl' featured in (again, don't bother researching it as it's absolutely beyond the limits of NSFW, though if you do, you would likely know the infamous film I'm making reference to).

There is a full review of the Denmark documentary in the New York Times too oddly enough.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2022, 19:00 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I can’t believe you posted all those old papers and didn’t mention Dick Hyman’s Moog synthesizer.

The guy still tours!

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2022, 19:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I can’t believe you posted all those old papers and didn’t mention Dick Hyman’s Moog synthesizer.

The guy still tours!

:lol:

I was going to make mention of it, but refrained. I did consciously try to ensure the first arrow and marker point wouldn't obscure too much of the Moog article in case anyone wanted to read it though. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2022, 14:55 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Couldn't help but notice the ad for Argento's The Bird With the Crystal Plumage

Had to look up the Forum Theater here in NY to see if that place was still around. Alas, like most small movie houses, it is not:

Cinema Treasures - Movieland 1567 Broadway NY

Demolished in 1998

The movie that comes to mind for me when Jerry Gross is mentioned is Lucio Fulci's Zombie/Zombi 2. His name even appeared on the opening title scroll on some home releases:

Attachment:
zombie1.jpg
zombie1.jpg [ 23.22 KiB | Viewed 1844 times ]

Attachment:
zombie2.jpg
zombie2.jpg [ 29.32 KiB | Viewed 1844 times ]

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2022, 15:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That's really interesting reading, thanks! :thumbup:

There's a fella on YouTube called 42nd Street Pete who puts out some great content about his memories of 42nd Street and films that played there. He has mentioned Jerry Gross a couple of times. I didn't ever notice his name at the start of Zombi though, I'll have to have a look at that again!

I missed it first time round but noticed an advert in the screenshot I took for a film called Joe. It sounds like it was quite controversial but has a really interesting sounding story. I think it's one I'm going to look to hunt down. It's on Blu in Germany but is pretty expensive and not in stock. The UK DVD from Optimum I believe is uncut.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B07B62QP51

I'll keep digging to find information on Addio Zio Tom though, I'm sure there must be news articles somewhere as it caused quite the commotion back in 1971. Hopefully someone will help out with the Laserdisc information too, that would be great to have.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2022, 16:25 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

teddanson wrote:
That's really interesting reading, thanks! :thumbup:

There's a fella on YouTube called 42nd Street Pete who puts out some great content about his memories of 42nd Street and films that played there. He has mentioned Jerry Gross a couple of times. I didn't ever notice his name at the start of Zombi though, I'll have to have a look at that again!

Those screengrabs are from the Magnum/Image LD of Zombie, so only the earlier releases will have Jerry Gross presenting (won't find it on any DVD or blu-ray.)

teddanson wrote:
I missed it first time round but noticed an advert in the screenshot I took for a film called Joe. It sounds like it was quite controversial but has a really interesting sounding story. I think it's one I'm going to look to hunt down. It's on Blu in Germany but is pretty expensive and not in stock. The UK DVD from Optimum I believe is uncut.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B07B62QP51

I'll keep digging to find information on Addio Zio Tom though, I'm sure there must be news articles somewhere as it caused quite the commotion back in 1971. Hopefully someone will help out with the Laserdisc information too, that would be great to have.

I did find a review of Addio Zio Tom by the famed Roger Ebert after viewing the initial American cut of the film. Needless to say, he wasn't a fan . . .

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/fare ... e-tom-1972

Here's also his not a fan view of Africa Addio:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/africa-addio-1967

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2022, 17:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Joe is OK I wouldn't waste money on it.
Reading about it makes the film sound better than it actually is, or was for me.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2022, 22:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I wonder if Roger Ebert was aware that he was watching the edited version of Africa Addio for his review? The original cut is much longer but proved unpopular at theatres. It was withdrawn, had all the 'boring' footage and explainers cut out, the nasty bits left in and re released as Africa Blood And Guts, which is the edit he reviewed in 1967.

Same goes for Africa Zio Tom. It's not a documentary, it's a film based on true events but all staged, it's not 'mondo'. With that said, the story behind the making of it is very suspect. Jacopetti and Prosperi were denied entry to Brasil to film, but the dictator of Haiti gave them carte blanche to do what they want.

Controversial stuff though I do wonder if they were making films that audiences just weren't ready for, or weren't willing to accept the shame over, especially with regards to Africa Zio Tom. Neither are pleasant films by any stretch but I question the Ebert reviews a little bit, they do seem to be a bit angry.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2023, 04:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Looks like Africa Zio Tom is going to get a 4K UHD release this Summer. Major restorations of both cuts of the film, uncut, uncensored and from the original camera negatives. Blimey!

This will be an import release with added heartbreak tax for me alas as there is no way on Earth this will likely be released anywhere else on the planet.

https://twitter.com/blunderground/statu ... 5849940992

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]