It is currently 23 Jul 2024, 01:03

Page 78 of 80 [ 1594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2024, 10:12 
Serious fan
Serious fan

haha, and you didn't believe me a football team chases em:

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2024, 10:53 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Big Trouble in Little China

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2024, 15:41 
Serious fan
Serious fan

What format you watched BTinLC in man? How was the audio/video?

btw My friend Chris started a store in Sydney named after the movie too:
https://www.bigtroublestore.com

In his original store he had a mural of Lo Pan an e'verything.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2024, 15:54 
Honest fan
Honest fan

spooky wrote:

I want to say LD but I'd be lying. :P
Just plain old VHS for this one. I had come across a garage sale which included a few LD titles, VHS and Beta tapes, as well as a few VCDs. lol
BTiLC was among those tapes. I fired up my old Sony VCR and watched that movie.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2024, 17:01 
Serious fan
Serious fan

spyrogyro wrote:
spooky wrote:

I want to say LD but I'd be lying. :P
Just plain old VHS for this one. I had come across a garage sale which included a few LD titles, VHS and Beta tapes, as well as a few VCDs. lol
BTiLC was among those tapes. I fired up my old Sony VCR and watched that movie.

NICE. That's actually the perfect way to watch it in my universe. The same as kids like me watched it at sleepovers in 198X...

Grab those VCDs too imo, sold a few this year for $50AUD a pop clear after fees by the each..

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2024, 18:17 
Honest fan
Honest fan

spooky wrote:
Grab those VCDs too imo, sold a few this year for $50AUD a pop clear after fees by the each..

I did. ;)

One of those:

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2024, 13:04 
Serious fan
Serious fan

spyrogyro wrote:
spooky wrote:

I did. ;)

One of those:

How does that VCD image look that good? Is it freeze framed and cleaned up by some magic?

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2024, 13:14 
Honest fan
Honest fan

spooky wrote:
How does that VCD image look that good? Is it freeze framed and cleaned up by some magic?

I actually didn't pause the image. Just snapped off a pic as that particular scene was playing.

I have the noise reduction of the TV settings set to "off". So I didn't do anything "extra" or whatever to the visuals.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2024, 13:16 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Going through Shinji Shomais stuff thanks to torrents. I've been interested for a long time. Like for 30 years since I first read about this director in Asian Cult Cinema Magazine in the '90s.

Typhoon Club was of particular interest coz of Yuki Kudou but I started with Sailor Suit and Machinegun Sailor Suit and Machine Gun (1981) [PILD-1117] which features some nice but brief M3 grease gun combat and the coolest mob boss office ever.

Typhoon Club is like breakfast club but with random spastic attacks, attempted rape, acid attack, lesbos and Yuki Kudou in her panties. Great 4 stars. But Admin, no entry in the DB for TC?! I don't want to enter into the DB until I own the actual LD (which I will some day) Image
https://www.suruga-ya.com/en/product/122027086

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2024, 13:20 
Serious fan
Serious fan

spyrogyro wrote:
spooky wrote:

I actually didn't pause the image. Just snapped off a pic as that particular scene was playing.

I have the noise reduction of the TV settings set to "off". So I didn't do anything "extra" or whatever to the visuals.

Amazing. I guess most of my VCD watching was done on a Sega Saturn with a video card tho! Your machine looks a bit more serious about the format.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2024, 13:29 
Honest fan
Honest fan

spooky wrote:
Amazing. I guess most of my VCD watching was done on a Sega Saturn with a video card tho! Your machine looks a bit more serious about the format.

I had bought that particular Laserdisc player off one of our local auction sites.
Works fine except for the fact that it intermittently doesn't want to release the audio CD/VCDs
The tray ejects but on occasion the CD remains inside the system. I then have to remove the cover to retrieve it. :?

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2024, 13:35 
Serious fan
Serious fan

spyrogyro wrote:
spooky wrote:

I had bought that particular Laserdisc player off one of our local auction sites.
Works fine except for the fact that it intermittently doesn't want to release the audio CD/VCDs
The tray ejects but on occasion the CD remains inside the system. I then have to remove the cover to retrieve it. :?

Nice find

Sounds like when I try to spin my sole CDV in my MDP-355GX. It does everything else perfectly but will leave the disc in the unit when the tray deploys and yeah I have to open it up to retrieve too. I'm actually a little scared to spin the CDV in my flagship unit, MDP-999 if the same problem happens and I somehow cause damage to either the disc or the player. The disc is probably worth almost as much as the player!! haha

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2024, 14:15 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Watching a bit of GoldenEye.

Cheap Composite to HDMI converter for my CLD-D925. Entry level Optoma projector.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2024, 03:25 
Serious fan
Serious fan

That's my next main goal with my system, projection. Wanted to go CRT projection but those units are going way up in price the last few years.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2024, 13:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just viewed " A History of Violence " David Cronenberg, 2005, 1hr36min.
Viggo Mortensen, Sam Harris, William Hurt, and Maria Bello. (And many high quality support players....)
Most interesting, wicked unexpected twists,and graphic layers of occult, and overt "violent" examples.
Did not expect to be captured by this yarn, in true Cronenberg form, one is transported into the struggle of Viggo's character.
Intriguing to learn that David does not utilize storyboards during his craft. He goes by stream of consciousness play by play from one scene to another.
His staff is most challenged by his method, however have learned to adapt and stay roughly an hour ahead of the master give or take.....
Viewed on dvd......
Check it out for a very suspenseful ride.....

Cheers to the members !

Attachments:
IMG_887411(1).jpg
IMG_887411(1).jpg [ 71.75 KiB | Viewed 139 times ]

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2024, 13:43 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Watched Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey for the first time in a long time. Still a good movie.

It was the Japanese release. I got that one simply because the cover was way better than the US release cover:

And it has a trailer for Honey I Blew Up The Kid on it which apparently was retitled for Japan as Giant Baby

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2024, 09:32 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I did give
Amazon Women on the Moon (1987) [40684]
a go yesterday.

Was not sure what to expect but only did realize during the "movie" that is is a collection of short movies that are somehow connected (Seeelmaaa!).

Considering it is almost 50 years old I did enjoy it. Most of the jokes were below average to me from a 2024 point of view but some are really great (like the video pirates scene with a lot of LD references) combined with the apperance of some very well known actors.

Overall worth a shot if you are into a bit of trivial comedy and just need 90 minutes to pass.

By the way:
As my wife is not that much into english we did give the German dub of Time Bandits a chance buying the movie on Apple Movies.
No she did not like it... but it is worth mentioning, that it is very obvious the digital version originates from the LD. You even have a 200 ms "all dark no sound" where the LD has to be flipped.

Cheers,
Markus

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2024, 09:59 
Serious fan
Serious fan

mth1986 wrote:

Considering it is almost 50 years old I did enjoy it.

Are you sure you mean that? This has no bearing on enjoyment for me. In fact I'm much more likely to enjoy something made in the 70s.

I'm likely to say "it was bearable considering it was made in the 2020s" for something not completely puke worthy in recent history.

Do you really enjoy modern comedies? Which ones? I don't enjoy any. Had high hopes for the Pop Tarts movie but it was so bad, unfunny and with such unlikeable actors, I turned it off half way through.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2024, 10:32 
Serious fan
Serious fan

There is no need to read between the lines. :lol:
It is way less complex.

spooky wrote:
Are you sure you mean that? This has no bearing on enjoyment for me. In fact I'm much more likely to enjoy something made in the 70s.

Regarding this specific movie: Yes. No more, no less.
There are a lot of jokes in this movie that have been repeated like 200x times since than. Maybe it was first in this movie; I do not know nor do I care.
But regarding me laughing: If I already heard the joke 200x times it is not funny to me anymore no matter when it was told first.

spooky wrote:
I'm likely to say "it was bearable considering it was made in the 2020s" for something not completely puke worthy in recent history.

Absolutely with you on that. There are only few modern movies I do enjoy but to say all modern movies are bad because they are modern is just not true.

spooky wrote:
Do you really enjoy modern comedies? Which ones? I don't enjoy any. Had high hopes for the Pop Tarts movie but it was so bad, unfunny and with such unlikeable actors, I turned it off half way through.

Actually I am not a comedy guy in general. The most fun I had with "modern" comedy was stuff like "The Dictator" which is from 2012 so not very "new" to be honest.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2024, 18:01 
Serious fan
Serious fan

mth1986 wrote:
There is no need to read between the lines. :lol:
It is way less complex.

spooky wrote:

Regarding this specific movie: Yes. No more, no less.

There are a lot of jokes in this movie that have been repeated like 200x times since than. Maybe it was first in this movie; I do not know nor do I care.
But regarding me laughing: If I already heard the joke 200x times it is not funny to me anymore no matter when it was told first.

Okay. Fair enuf. But a guy eating a sandwich and drinking a beer having his whole life and apartment fall apart before him is something I haven't seen 200 times personally. I've only see it once.

Quote:
spooky wrote:

Absolutely with you on that. There are only few modern movies I do enjoy but to say all modern movies are bad because they are modern is just not true.

Nope, modern movies ARE bad because they are modern. Modernity is quotas, censorship and wokeness which = bad movies.

[
Quote:
quote="spooky"]

Actually I am not a comedy guy in general. The most fun I had with "modern" comedy was stuff like "The Dictator" which is from 2012 so not very "new" to be honest.[/quote]

Never call me your friend. Never interact with me ever again. "The Dictator" was one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life. It made me ghost a woman who wanted to F me....
it wasn't worth it for a woman who thought this movie was funny.

Page 78 of 80 [ 1594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next