It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:11

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: What are your favourite films you've watched in 2022?
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2022, 10:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Top films for previous years can be found here if anyone remotely cares:

2021 Top Films
2020 Top Films

I didn't watch as many films this year as last year due to a number of factors but I still got through a fair few. Most of the Spring and Summer were spent training and I was also without a home theatre system until November when I finally got a Samsung HW-Q990B. Guidelines are the same as last year if you would like to share your list:

• Choose 10 films only and rank them in order of preference.
  • Films can be any format, not just Laserdisc. So feel free to include VHD, Betamax, Hi8, cinema screenings, courtroom trial pastel sketches and so on.
  • Films can be from any year, not just 2022.
  • It must be a film you watched for the first time in 2022, not a re-watch.
  • If you're including Sky Riders in your top 10 you may only include it if you watched it on a Sunday afternoon. Watching it at any other time or day of the week is unacceptable and thus your selection will be deemed null and void. Bonus points if you watched it while doing the ironing and/or worrying about going to work/school on Monday morning.

My top 10 films (in order) that I watched for the first time ever in 2022 (rewatches are not eligible) are as follows:

1. Boiling Point
    :arrow: Head and shoulders above anything else I watched in 2022. This film is simply stunning, and done in one take too. Delighted to hear a mini-series has been actioned for it in 2023.

2. Waterloo
    :arrow: So good I bought the UK Limited Edition and the German edition too. The effort that went in to making this film alone merits it's position here. If I hadn't seen Boiling Point, this would have been in the top spot.

3. Lawman
    :arrow: 2022 was the year I really got in to Westerns. This one ranks among the best I've seen. The ending is simply astonishingly good. A wonderful film that all should see.

4. Stunt Rock
    :arrow: The most outrageous film I've seen in years. If I get early onset tinnitus it'll be the fault of this film. It should be made illegal worldwide to watch this film at anything less than maximum volume!

5. Top Gun Maverick
    :arrow: One of the first films I watched on my new home theatre in order to stretch it's Dolby Atmos legs. I was never a huge fan of the original film (don't get me wrong I like it enough), but this sequel knocked my socks off by being both EXTREMELY LOUD and thoroughly entertaining. A surprise hit for me. I'll be buying the 4K double disc set (note: I watched this via iTunes).

6. Sorcerer
    :arrow: This one took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting to like it all that much but heard rumblings about it being pretty good. By the end I was entranced by how great this little film is. I've since gone on to buy The Wages Of Fear on Blu Ray and will watch that soon because of this film. Highly recommended.

7. Robbery
    :arrow: Earns it's place here on the opening car chase alone. The rest of the film is just glorious, entertaining bonus footage. Top tip - ensure you put a plastic sheet over your sofa and bring a couple of pairs of spare pants with you before watching this film. That opening chase, dear God... :wtf:

8. In To The Night
    :arrow: Another film that I wasn't expecting much from but I rate Michelle Pfeiffer so gave it a shot. I think this one is an overlooked classic. I'm delighted I bought and watched it and I'll rewatch it many times in the future. Extremely entertaining and I think you'd be doing yourself an awful disservice if you miss out on this one. I'm going to frame the poster that came with this Blu Ray.

9. Comfort and Joy
    :arrow: From waaaay out of left field came Comfort and Joy earlier this year. This was a case of a total blind buy uncovering a diamond. It's such a fun, honest little film and an easy watch. Christmas is coming so this could be a good time to watch it!

10. Party Party
    :arrow: Rounding out the top 10 is the obscure Party Party by none other than MENTAL MICKEY! ("I TOLD YOU ONCE RODNEY, I AIN'T GONNA TELL YOU AGAIN SON! I DO THE ONE TWO THREE FOUR'S!!!!!!!!!"). Party Party was a complete stumble upon and would make for perfect viewing with the festive season fast approaching. It didn't make the top 10 for being a particularly great film, rather the nostalgia overload is so strong in this film that I couldn't not feature it. If that isn't enough for you, this film genuinely has one of the best soundtracks ever assembled for a film, ever.....which is probably why it's still stuck in DVD limbo... :(

Honourable Mentions

This selection narrowly missed out on a place in the top 10, but are still worth mentioning I think. :thumbup:

1. The Lego Movie Part 2
    Watched this via 4K disc and it was a whole heap of fun! Catchy Song is still in my head. ARGH!

2. The Boxer From Shantung
    One of the greatest end fights in a film I've ever seen. I think this one was an inspiration piece for Kill Bill Volume 1?

3. The Man From Hong Kong
    Another Ozploitation gem that is well worth your time. Features some wonderful stunts that were also included in Stunt Rock.

4. Sweeney!
    A surprise hit for me, not so much the sequel though. Who'd have thought John Thaw could rival the great Maurizio Merli?!!

5. Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion
    Took me completely by surprise. I thought it was going to be a bit of a sleazefiesta, but in reality it was gripping viewing. Almost made the top 10 list.

Post subject: Re: What are your favourite films you've watched in 2022?
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2022, 02:27 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Here's 5, in no order of preference...

DVDs:

We're Not Married!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We're_Not_Married!

Hot Millions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Millions

Off Topic, TV series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_(1965_TV_series)

I was 9 years old when this series aired. I do not at all ever remember hearing or knowing or seeing anything about this show!

Laserdiscs:

The Incredible Shrinking Man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incre ... inking_Man

There Goes My Baby

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_Goes_My_Baby_(film)

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2022, 14:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Some interesting stuff there to add to my watch list. I do hope you played those Laserdiscs on the almighty beauty that is the R7G? :D

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2022, 17:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

If Pioneer were still in existence and Laserdisc was still a current format, I’d swear you were a senior sales exec in Pioneer’s marketing arm Mr Danson :lol:
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2022, 21:18 
Honest fan
Honest fan

"Some interesting stuff there to add to my watch list. I do hope you played those Laserdiscs on the almighty beauty that is the R7G?"

I sure did/do. What a great player. I got very lucky on Ebay...

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2022, 11:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
If Pioneer were still in existence and Laserdisc was still a current format, I’d swear you were a senior sales exec in Pioneer’s marketing arm Mr Danson :lol:

That should be your role, you (inadvertantley) made me get one! :lol:

The R7G. The ONLY Laserdisc player recommended by Nigel Mansell, Les Dennis, Una Stubbs and Lionel Blair! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2022, 12:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

teddanson wrote:
laserfanhld-gb wrote:

The R7G. The ONLY Laserdisc player recommended by Nigel Mansell, Les Dennis, Una Stubbs and Lionel Blair! :thumbup:

And don’t forget the “By Royal Appointment to HM The Queen” (formerly) tag ;)
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2022, 16:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
teddanson wrote:
laserfanhld-gb wrote:

And don’t forget the “By Royal Appointment to HM The Queen” (formerly) tag ;)

Of course. I'd say she could have had any Laserdisc player she wanted, for free. An X0? No problem! An X9? Think nothing of it!

But no. Good aul Liz had a quick shuftie through the pages of the Pioneer catalog and said "One wants an R7G (and one each for the corgis). .....and slap a warrant on it." :thumbup:

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2022, 23:14 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Here's another movie I've never seen before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_ ... Beau_Geste

Side one of the movie is a dead side on a disc I bought last month. So, I bought the below and watched it last week.

Last Remake of Beau Geste, The (1977) [16-005]

Very Monty Python like, type, film...

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]