It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:47

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Conan The Barbarian
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2023, 04:08 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I rewatched Conan the Barbarian (1982) [41018] today, and on LaserDisc this time of course. Thought I'd rewatch Conan today because I finished reading Jason Aaron and Mahmud Asrar's Conan The Barbarian graphic novel from Marvel, which was a fantastic read! Plus it's Arnold Schwarzenegger's 76th birthday. And my 20th! That's so cool I share birthdays with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Conan The Barbarian is a phenomenal film! The way it balances adventure and emotion is just great. Conan is a loveable protagonist who suffers torture and the loss of his loved ones at the hands of Thulsa Doom. The score by Basil Poledoris is epic and really adds to the emotional weight of the movie. The production design and practical effects are terrific.

Conan The Barbarian is kinda underrated I think. I'd say it's the greatest fantasy film of all time.

Post subject: Re: Conan The Barbarian
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2023, 00:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Glad for your post recognizing CONAN !
One of my all time fav fantasy films. Left a big impression when it first came out.
Agreed about opinion of " one of the best " of all time.

James Earl Jones performs a most memorable role as Falsa Doom.
Could post all day.

Top notch man.
Sharing a birthday with the terminator ! Most excellent.

Cheers to the members.....

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2023, 02:17 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

firehorse_44 wrote:
Glad for your post recognizing CONAN !
One of my all time fav fantasy films. Left a big impression when it first came out.
Agreed about opinion of " one of the best " of all time.

James Earl Jones performs a most memorable role as Falsa Doom.
Could post all day.

Top notch man.
Sharing a birthday with the terminator ! Most excellent.

Cheers to the members.....

"Left a big impression" yep, all the Italian knock offs like Ator The Fighting Eagle and Conquest lol I've seen a lot of those by now.

My top 3 80s Fantasy movies are Conan The Barbarian, The Clan of the Cave Bear, and Fire And Ice, all 3 I have both on VHS and LaserDisc. Just rewatched Clan again today, that one is so underrated.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2023, 05:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Right on ...
Also felt Ralph Bakshi's FIRE & ICE was passed over like many of his iconic creations. The artwork was staggering.
Roto scope genre was leveled up due to Bakshi and his teams. LOTR is one of my favorite creations of his.
Sometimes that way with art that is ahead of its time. Takes awhile to take root with people if at all with the exception of just the devoted.....

Agreed with Clan of the Cave Bear. A buddy is a big fan of the novels and not into film however I felt like a great attempt at bringing the epoch to 2D life lol.

Gotta watch CONAN and DESTROYER again, been a few years.....

Cheers mate

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2023, 09:25 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Conan didn’t mean much to me until later in life. There were a lot of fantasy loincloth movies like that back then after all…but a while back I watched it again and I really got into the characters, particularly the way Conan and his girlfriend get along. I really buy into the idea that those two filthy idiot badasses loved each other. I feel Conan’s sorrow, for real.

Another sword swinger like that with a strong female is Hundra (1983) [98C59-6100]. This chick not only fights but fights bareback and naked. Hundra is like Red Sonja but she’s actually tough and can fight. If you’re into these kind of movies enough to have seen Beastmaster III and Circle of Iron then you should probably see Hundra.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2023, 15:04 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

firehorse_44 wrote:
Right on ...
Also felt Ralph Bakshi's FIRE & ICE was passed over like many of his iconic creations. The artwork was staggering.
Roto scope genre was leveled up due to Bakshi and his teams. LOTR is one of my favorite creations of his.
Sometimes that way with art that is ahead of its time. Takes awhile to take root with people if at all with the exception of just the devoted.....

Agreed with Clan of the Cave Bear. A buddy is a big fan of the novels and not into film however I felt like a great attempt at bringing the epoch to 2D life lol.

Gotta watch CONAN and DESTROYER again, been a few years.....

Cheers mate

I've seen Conan The Destroyer twice, and disliked it both times. I love Conan The Barbarian because it's a serious movie with emotional weight. Destroyer on the other hand was super campy and full of unnecessary slapstick. I have a video of the movie on my hen modded PlayStation 3 super slim, haven't bothered buying a VHS or anything of it.

The Red Sonja with Brigitte Nielsen I thought was pretty good: maybe not emotional like Conan The Barbarian but it's fast paced, action packed, and the sense of humor is just like Conan The Barbarian's: occasional cheeky dialogue. That one I got on VHS.

There's also the 2011 Conan movie with Jason Momoa which obviously isn't as good as the 1982 movie but still a fun Fantasy adventure.

And then there's the Kull movie from 1997 which I thought was just terrible.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2023, 15:08 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

signofzeta wrote:
Conan didn’t mean much to me until later in life. There were a lot of fantasy loincloth movies like that back then after all…but a while back I watched it again and I really got into the characters, particularly the way Conan and his girlfriend get along. I really buy into the idea that those two filthy idiot badasses loved each other. I feel Conan’s sorrow, for real.

Another sword swinger like that with a strong female is Hundra (1983) [98C59-6100]. This chick not only fights but fights bareback and naked. Hundra is like Red Sonja but she’s actually tough and can fight. If you’re into these kind of movies enough to have seen Beastmaster III and Circle of Iron then you should probably see Hundra.

I still need to see Hundra and Circle of Iron. I've seen all 3 Beastmaster movies. The first I thought was really good, somewhat underrated. The time travel one I thought was appalling. Beastmaster 3 I thought was almost good. Just almost. I was binge watching fantasy movies in February and watched the Beastmaster movies for the first time towards the end of that month so maybe I was suffering Fantasy overload fatigue or something but Beastmaster 3 felt awfully slow to me. I'd like to give that movie another chance though.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2023, 19:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Agreed about destroyer....
100%, however, my imagination allows me to overlook some level of crappy acting to stay in the fantasy setting.
Part of my background as a Dungeon Master has augmented this skill thanks to ancient past AD&D hobby.

I loved Robert E Howard and his Conan mythos.

If anyone is interested and a reader, Karl Edward Wagner wrote a series about an Antihero called KANE.
Some of the saltiest and bada** writing I have ever imbibed.
Check out "Darkness Weaves", "Bloodstone", "Death Angel's Shadow", "Dark Crusade", and "Nightwinds".

HUNDRA, Thanks Zeta, never even heard of that heroine.
Liked Red Sonya, however even with my imagination in full gear, just found it hard to love Briggett Nelson's acting. Still entertaining though story wise.

First Conan really struck that fantasy gaming chord. I believe it was during this period of High School gaming Conan dropped. Loved his girlfriend the thief. Bad to the bone slayer.
Punching the camel got Arnold alot of heat back then.

Great fun thread.

Thanks you guys...

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2023, 00:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, D&D was a big part of enjoying these movies for my friends and I. Also metal. Also the VHS rental shelves were full of these things as well as cable.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]