Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Labels were on the wrong sides, then one fell off
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2023, 06:36 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hi-

Tonight after fixing my CLD-D604 player (I hope), I watched Wavelength:

Wavelength (1983) [40185]

It is the -one- "regular" Hollywood movie from the 1980s (or newer) I know that has not been released on DVD or another newer format. But here are the weird parts: I put the disc in the player the normal way, and it came up on Side 2. I physically flipped it over (side 2 label up), and then it played normally ("Side A" was content of Side 1, then later it automatically played Side 2 as expected). The disc started to skip in the end credits (at the 40-minute point?), though, but a scan back and forward went to the end of the disc and back OK. However, a second normal-speed play from the 40-minute point of the 45-minute side started skipping at the 41-minute point and then stopped. I ejected the disc, and its Side 1 label (which was on physical side 1) had fallen off in the player. Very strange. I have never had a disc label fall off before.

In this case, if both labels fell off, I could reattach them on their correct sides.

Now, I need to check the player to see if the side B skipping was related to the label issue or not.

Post subject: Re: Labels were on the wrong sides, then one fell off
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2023, 15:50 
First post
First post

chrisw6atv wrote:
Hi-

Tonight after fixing my CLD-D604 player (I hope), I watched Wavelength:

Wavelength (1983) [40185]

It is the -one- "regular" Hollywood movie from the 1980s (or newer) I know that has not been released on DVD or another newer format. But here are the weird parts: I put the disc in the player the normal way, and it came up on Side 2. I physically flipped it over (side 2 label up), and then it played normally ("Side A" was content of Side 1, then later it automatically played Side 2 as expected). The disc started to skip in the end credits (at the 40-minute point?), though, but a scan back and forward went to the end of the disc and back OK. However, a second normal-speed play from the 40-minute point of the uno online 45-minute side started skipping at the 41-minute point and then stopped. I ejected the disc, and its Side 1 label (which was on physical side 1) had fallen off in the player. Very strange. I have never had a disc label fall off before.

In this case, if both labels fell off, I could reattach them on their correct sides.

Now, I need to check the player to see if the side B skipping was related to the label issue or not.

Though extremely dated the film is interesting enough to keep a viewers attention but has severe pacing issues and the ending is highly predictable and underwhelming.

I was just waiting for Carradine to deliver his trademark laugh and always find myself struggling to take him seriously despite him being a terrific actor.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2023, 00:54 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Welcome to the LDDB forum, dolorespettr!

I enjoyed "Wavelength" because it has interesting concepts and is quirky in a fun way. It did not hurt that I had a crush on Cherie Currie at that time, though these days I might be more attracted to Robert Carradine. :D

In some ways now, it does seem kind of "low-budget", but when it was released it got plenty of promotion if I remember right.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2023, 01:20 
Honest fan
Honest fan

After cleaning the disc surface where the label had been, I played this disc in the CLD-D604 again, and the player will not play "side B" whether it is side 1 or side 2.

I also tried it in my now-also-repaired CLD-D704, and in that player side 2 (as side B) played fine, including smoothly from the 38-minute point until the end of the disc (42 minutes or so). Several other discs I put in the CLD-D604 played both sides fine, so it must be a semi-random problem in the player that happened to show up on this disc. The label falling off seems to be completely coincidental.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]