It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:05

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: touching up frayed and worn jackets
PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 07:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

has anyone tried to touch up jackets? such as paint chipping and corner bends? ive thought about using a fine brush to dab out those paint chips along the edges. I've tried taking the discs out and laying bent jackets underneath books with limited success..

Post subject: Re: touching up frayed and worn jackets
PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 15:06 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

The felt tip pen used to be the instrument of choice by record dealers to touch up the worn spots on LP jackets.
It was a quick and nasty way of hiding all the worn spots so you wouldn't see them at a glance when flicking through piles of their LPs.
You would only notice it when you got home and saw a different colour of ink along the edge as it rarely dried the same colour as the jacket!
It was also often done so hastily and carelessly that the ink would overrun onto other areas of the jacket.
Personally I hate jackets that have had this done, especially if badly done as it devalues the item beyond repair.
If you are going to do this you need to test a number of different pens/inks to get the colour as close to the original as possible and do it very carefully.

Big creases you cannot really do much about other than trying to push them out from the inside if possible.

I've noticed there are quite a few sellers offloading laserdiscs with scratched sleeves but still describing them as near mint/like new.
These jackets have not been stored in protective sleeves so suffer from obvious rubwear - the surface is often matt or may even have signs of ringwear or scratches.
I try to avoid buying such LDs but it is not easy when sellers don't describe what they are selling accurately.
In my opinion any form of damage to the sleeve means it is NOT near mint condition and that includes rubwear however light.
I will seek out honest sellers who grade things accurately to avoid such issues since that form of damage cannot be repaired at any cost.

Some jackets may have developed a greasy film on them or ghosting having been stored for a long period of time.
US jackets tend to have a more glossy finish which actually lends itself to be cleaned more easily than say matt finish Japanese jackets.
A really soft cloth with a little water and mild detergent can wipe off any such film on the surface and leave the jacket like new I have found.
You should use a soft towel to dry the jacket immediately to avoid the water soaking into the jacket.

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 15:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

you can restore anything, but is it really worth it for such a low cost thing??
art, comics, toys, cars, guns. everything that has a large value collector market can be restored.
even LD sleeves, but why would you bother restoring a 5 - 50 buck disc?

even in other markets they only restore items that are over a certain price.
it's not worth spending 1k to restore a 200 something, is it?

is it worth spending 400 on getting a player back in tip top shape if it's a CLD-201???

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 15:29 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Even if you are a perfectionist and always buy the best of the best you will inevitably get stung at some point and end up with a less than perfect jacket.
It might have got damaged in transit or the seller might not have been entirely honest about the condition.

In such circumstances you can either:
live with it as is - warts n all!
buy another copy with a better jacket (probably one of the reasons we all have so many duplicates!)

If you opt to acquire a better copy then you can always resell what remains to help recoup the cost - probably another reason why so many inferior jackets/LDs appear on the market currently!!

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 16:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This is pretty much forbidden to do for record dealers, I know some does it but its really not ok. If the owner want to do it then its up to him but a seller does it just becouse he hopes it will not be noticed before it to late.

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 17:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

ive learned not to trust amazon, sometime ill find good deals there, but most of the time you don't get to see a picture of what you're getting. NEAR MINT! lol comes with lots of wear

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 17:03 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

johan184 wrote:
This is pretty much forbidden to do for record dealers, I know some does it but its really not ok. If the owner want to do it then its up to him but a seller does it just becouse he hopes it will not be noticed before it to late.

I agree. I just wish record dealers did also. If you visit record fairs it is very common to encounter this being done.
I've been stung a number of times but know what to look out for now.

Another tactic they employ is to have on display their best stock - the ones that look mint.
They know this grabs your attention and you will be more likely to buy such an item.
When you hand the item to them, they swap it for another worn copy and place that in the bag they hand you.
I actually saw this happening at a record fair and I just told the guy straight I was a collector and wanted the mint copy I had handed him not the worn one he had replaced it with!

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 06 May 2012, 17:12, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 17:05 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

yazorin wrote:
ive learned not to trust amazon, sometime ill find good deals there, but most of the time you don't get to see a picture of what you're getting. NEAR MINT! lol comes with lots of wear

Yeah Amazon is just a junk yard for disposing of used items that have been trashed. You need to check and double check everything.
Even stuff being sold as new is often used and badly worn. There are decent sellers there too but you need to find them.

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 23:32 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

laserdisc_fan wrote:
johan184 wrote:
Another tactic they employ is to have on display their best stock - the ones that look mint.
They know this grabs your attention and you will be more likely to buy such an item.
When you hand the item to them, they swap it for another worn copy and place that in the bag they hand you.
I actually saw this happening at a record fair and I just told the guy straight I was a collector and wanted the mint copy I had handed him not the worn one he had replaced it with!

WOW,
that's pretty bold of a dealer to do that.

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 11:52 
id prob knock t him the f out ;)

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 12:04 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Yeah some of those dealers at record fairs would be good at magic tracks with their 'sleight of hand' techniques!
I certainly got my eyes opened at their cunning sales practices.
I am sure they have caught a good few people out who wouldn't have known to check the item until they got home and it was too late.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]