It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:08

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: The French ALIEN vs the English ALIEN sound effects & score
PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 15:31 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

ImageImage

ALIEN on English region 1 20th Anniversary has, well umm simply a tighter bass response the sound effects are a little different on some scenes as well as some additional effects was this, the French mix, never mind about the language dub, the score is warmer sounding its like listening to a whole new ALIEN.

Some musical bits that is only on the Laserdisc that I have a CAV pressing is the same sounding on the language track 4 (audio commentary Dolby 2.0 stereo) time: 40min 09sec, there is musical wining sound high sounds like horns tweaked at high pitch. Listen to the other language tracks there is no sign of it anywhere. So what version was Ridley watching as the version is miles away from the English language tracks 1 and 2.

ALIEN Languages

Listening between DVD region 1 20th Anniversary the differences between language tracks in the score stand out far clearer or higher for example take chapter 5 R1 DVD The Space Jockey the percussion drum beats when Kane, is walking around 29m:17 in language 2 Dolby Stereo Digital 5.1. Now switch to language 3, France Dolby Stereo Digital 2.0 WOW now why, couldn’t that have be used in the English Dolby Stereo Digital 5.1.

The isolated score Dolby Stereo Digital 2.0 well that stands out nicely very creepy on language 5. language 6 has a now and then alternate score with occasional production sound and dialogue.

Chapter 7, “my god” again language 3 stands out clear with score while language 2 sounds softer yet the Face Hugger who has become attached to Kane after living in cave for so many years, that still has nice sliver unsettling sound a little bit -db EQ trimmed on language 3, but a few +db sweeter on language 1 and 2.

Now go and listen between the language tracks. Not sure what the bluray is like I’d expect its the same as Quad Alien box-set which I have and I haven’t re-listened to it in a few years as its been butchered in framing sound brightness I just don’t want to know about.

I have the CAV Laserdisc and since I have ALIEN going twice tonight on DVD I’ll give scene where Kane is walking around and see if the score still sounds faint distant.

Edit: Playing and listening to small part of CAV side 2, same distant score on the percussion drum beats.

Oh, incidentally language 3, chapter 11 deep Nostromo engine sound while language 1 and 2 only carry score, same with laserdisc.

Chapter 12, language 3, 67m:54 WOW brutal when the Alien jaw comes out its got a kick! language 2 I wonder if the English track was watered down WOW that is worthy of waterfall.

Mother speaks on the computer to Dallas in French.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]