It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 05:48

Page 2 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lady and the Tramp 14673 AS full screen 1.33 ratio
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 03:52 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

rein-o wrote:
o.k. so one way to tell is the white is way too bright?
thanks again for the info.

as for the extra detail from BD i feel that it's too much sometimes, and it's just overkill.
when i was at target and they had some demo playing you could see the blackheads on the girls nose :sick:
no thank you, i don't need that much detail, i don't need to feel like i'm looking at everything
with a magnifying glass, i just want to see a good clear picture without blackheads or ingrown hairs.

What films do you have on Laserdisc say from the 80's and 90's and do you happen to have that same film, on DVD? List some I or disclord might be able to spot the odd title.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 04:05 
True fan
True fan

I haven't researched Lady & the Tramp, but it was my understanding that it framed and shot with both Academy & Widescreen ratios in mind. In other words, no need for pan & scan. In signofzeta's picture, it doesn't look paned & scanned to me. It looks like the "Narrow" button has been pushed on the TV. I have found that the "Narrow" image on my television is not Academy ratio and will actually cut off some of the picture. I would bet that whomever entered Lady & the Tramp into the database was not aware that it was shot in both ratio's.

Ron

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 04:39 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

ratkins wrote:
I haven't researched Lady & the Tramp, but it was my understanding that it framed and shot with both Academy & Widescreen ratios in mind. In other words, no need for pan & scan. In signofzeta's picture, it doesn't look paned & scanned to me. It looks like the "Narrow" button has been pushed on the TV. I have found that the "Narrow" image on my television is not Academy ratio and will actually cut off some of the picture. I would bet that whomever entered Lady & the Tramp into the database was not aware that it was shot in both ratio's.

Ron

i don't know about signofzeta's picture but i do agree that i think they were not aware when listing
or didn't update correctly.

as for my collection i'm making it public again so you can see what i have :D
it's not that big a deal for me to see it but it would be nice to say, that's what they are talking about.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 10:01 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

ratkins wrote:

Ron

The TV isn't in narrow mode. The TV doesn't even have a narrow mode usable from SD sources. The problem is that the disc is crap. :)

Look again at the comparison pictures. My image isn't just missing info from the sides, its also missing info above and below that is ONLY present in the version shot 4:3 in the first place. See how only the original 4:3 version has all that stuff above and clothes line and below the spaghetti plate? That stuff isn't on my LD, and obviously neither is the stuff on the left and right. Its a P&S of the 'scope version, the worst of both worlds in this situation. As you said, there as no need to P&S...but they did it anyway.

Why? With the DVD the answer is obvious, it avoided the cost of restoring two negatives. With my LD, which was available in a period where they had no intention of ever making a letterbox version, its probably just because they didn't know the 4:3 version existed.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 10:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Shouldn't Disney be aware of what aspect ratios their movies were available in? Even if there are two, I can't imagine that they would "forget" one of them.

What about Sleeping Beauty? Does it have the same issue as Lady and the Tramp? It was shot in 2.55:1 from what I know.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 16:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

nissling wrote:
Shouldn't Disney be aware of what aspect ratios their movies were available in? Even if there are two, I can't imagine that they would "forget" one of them.

What about Sleeping Beauty? Does it have the same issue as Lady and the Tramp? It was shot in 2.55:1 from what I know.

Widescreen was firmly established by the time of Sleeping Beauty so only the Super Technirama version was shot.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 19:07 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

nissling wrote:

Well, yeah, but this stuff happens ALL THE TIME with home video. You'd think with the amount of time and money that goes into a home video release they wouldn't be so sloppy, but I guess the guys are probably just overworked.

In general, Disney is far better at taking care of their stuff than pretty much any company. They've never really lost anything (that I can think of) they didn't succumb to the need to colorize stuff in the 80s like so many other companies. These early LDs aren't so great by the standards of today, but the later releases are very good. The BRs are incredible.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 19:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

if you really think about it, it's another way for them to make more money.
remember Fantasia: Special Edition (1940) [1236 CS]??
released and then going back into the disney vaults :lol:
they made it sound like this was your only shot at owning it.
i'm just :yawn: of it

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 20:31 
True fan
True fan

Has this ever been actually confirmed as the Academy version? I'd love to find one, as the VHS I always saw in childhood was this lesser seen edition. From what I've read and seen the Academy edition was an entirely separate version made explicitly to go to theaters who were not equipped for Scope. There are many little differences in both animation and the artwork so that they are not simply different framings but slightly different films.
I'm getting to the point where I want to collect all the Disney classics on LD simply for memory's sake. I was never the Disney fan, and in fact hate most of their later output. But seeing what they did to Pinocchio for the Blu-ray made me want to literally break down. It is beyond horrible. Everything's been scrubbed away, the colors completely manipulated, so that the image no longer resembles anything of the original film. It has no life or vitality, there is no sign of this being made by human hands anymore. The Disney Blus to me are a desecration to the original artworks. I found the CLV Fantasia, and it looked great to me despite not having seen the film since childhood.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 20:42 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i had the same issue after buying the DVD of dumbo when it came out around 2000.
looked horrible, all the colors were perfect with no change like when you really look at an animation cell.
i do own cels for some cartoons, not disney, but know what they look like.
and if you shoot them you will see that they don't look the same on the super remasterd stuff.

so i started to pass on DVDs and get the LD, if it wasn't on LD then i would buy the DVD if i really needed it.

the full screen release that i started this topic with IS the academy ratio version and not just a cut version of the widescreen.
but i also started this to state, that can't be the only version that is the correct academy ratio, there has to be
an older pressing.

but if you want to get both then you have do some searching, last one on the bay somone outbid me but
also didn't get the correct one, it was a stock picture and they received the widescreen version.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 21:16 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

alright, here are some pictures.
you lose some on the sides as pictured but there are places that you get more image, or different images.
here is the title.
both are on a 4.3 CRT television with no chance of changing the picture ratio by accident.

Attachments:
lady title.jpg
lady title.jpg [ 240.13 KiB | Viewed 5331 times ]

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 21:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

here is another scene, you can see that you get more image on the left but lose on the right.

Attachments:
lady with tree.jpg
lady with tree.jpg [ 143.13 KiB | Viewed 5331 times ]

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 21:19 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

and the accordion scene on the 1.33, it pans but is done in a U shape,
from the player, down to the dogs and then up again the chef on the other side.
so it's not just the 2.35 P/S but a new shot image.
also the back cover stating that it is in the correct 1.33 ratio

Attachments:
lady with accordion.jpg
lady with accordion.jpg [ 131 KiB | Viewed 5331 times ]

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2012, 15:34 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

sdraper wrote:
Has this ever been actually confirmed as the Academy version? I'd love to find one, as the VHS I always saw in childhood was this lesser seen edition. From what I've read and seen the Academy edition was an entirely separate version made explicitly to go to theaters who were not equipped for Scope. There are many little differences in both animation and the artwork so that they are not simply different framings but slightly different films.

The 1998 Full Frame LD of Lady and the Tramp is the Academy Ratio version. Other sites/forums have reported that the VHS re-release of the movie the same year was also the Academy Ratio version, but of course the LD is more desirable.

For whatever reason, Disney has opted to not use this version for the subsequent Full Frame versions of the movie on DVD (I don't believe the latest BR release has a FF version.)

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 04:04 
good luck finding this available on laserdisc one seller had a picture of the P&S cover but he really has the ws for sale i know because i won it & got refunded.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 04:24 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

rein-o wrote:
here is another scene, you can see that you get more image on the left but lose on the right.

I like the capture on full and standing back away from the monitor and squinting my eyes so that I don't see the lines.

myrtle1beach wrote:
good luck finding this available on laserdisc one seller had a picture of the P&S cover but he really has the ws for sale i know because i won it & got refunded.

Seems to be plenty Lady and Tramp going at the moment a modest cheap price, well at least in UK numbers its cheap to me. :mrgreen: even the postal prices are cheap.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=L ... &_osacat=0

I'm going to put the CAV THX Dolby digital one down on my wish list.
http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/08438/146 ... tion-(1955)

Lady and the Tramp: He's a Tramp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGHLcobLUqA

Disney was lousy for the PAL Laserdisc UK market I think everyone wanted NTSC I could watch paint drying on the wall fast enough while they make up their minds?

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 04:51 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

the widescreen one is very available.
but i have the CLV version.

i think the reason is that people didn't know that there was an academy ratio version also.
if i could only pick one i would get the widescreen, but i'm very happy that i have both versions.
don't know why they didn't make a box set of this with both versions?

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 05:08 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

rein-o wrote:
the widescreen one is very available.
but i have the CLV version.

i think the reason is that people didn't know that there was an academy ratio version also.
if i could only pick one i would get the widescreen, but i'm very happy that i have both versions.
don't know why they didn't make a box set of this with both versions?

Yeah what THX and Disney needed years ago was consumers feedback to get it done right! Does the DVD or bluray have two versions to choice from on the same disc like how they did The Abyss which is cool as I only run the theatrical version.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 05:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

elahrairrah wrote:
For whatever reason, Disney has opted to not use this version for the subsequent Full Frame versions of the movie on DVD (I don't believe the latest BR release has a FF version.)

i don't own the DVD, don't want to buy it again, i bought a Japanese copy years ago, then the widescreen and sold the Japanese copy and now bought it a 3rd time.
so i can't do that again :D

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 05:32 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Sounds like serious triple dipping addition to me. :lol: Disney do this all the time with a must new digital transfer supervised by George Lucas. :lol: What's the Dolby AC-3 like on CLV version?

Page 2 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next