It is currently 04 May 2024, 20:31

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: X-Files - US released LDs
PostPosted: 26 Dec 2012, 19:30 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

So a friend of mine was mentioning a particular episode of the X-Files TV Show ("F.Emasculata" to be precise) and how it was keeping her from being able to sleep. Since I was overseas at the time, I missed a lot of the earlier seasons of the show. Looked up "X-Files" in LDDb, and noticed that it seems that only a few volumes/discs were released in the US.

Is LDDb correct? Were these LDs the only episodes released on LD in the US?

Post subject: Re: X-Files - US released LDs
PostPosted: 26 Dec 2012, 19:40 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I didn't even realize there were that many. I'm not a big X Files fan, but I always assumed it was like the many other shows where you end up having to import the JP ones.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2012, 00:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

F.Emasculata should be Season 2, Episode 22.
The japanese sets are really nice collectors items, and should be cheap these days.
Maybe you want to hunt the season 2 box sets down.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2012, 06:13 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I believe 21 volumes(1 disc each) with 2 episodes per volumefor US. Volumes are in random order select episodes from first 4 seasons. Japanese volumes are 1 or 6 discs per volume. some seasons have 2 six disc volumes and some seasons have 2 six and 1 single disc volumes. all episodes upto season 7(including s7) are available. they are all in 4:3 ratio although season 5 and on are native 16:9. First 4 seasons are worth to own on LD as the picture quality is significantly better than dvd editions(especially first 2 seasons) season 5 and on are anamorphic widescreen on dvds. no extras on LD. digital and analog tracks include english soundtracks. japanese subtitles are imposed in picture but not very distracting at all. Picture quality on Japanese releases are among the best on laserdisc.

X-files were mostly shot on 35mm(except fx shots)but transfered to tape(broadcast grade 2" tapes, not vhs) and edited on tape. tape bandwidth is just a hair above laserdiscs therefor LDs are quite true to the source material. dvds have greater bandwidth however analog to digital conversion and digital compression add artifacts.

it is also confirmed late 2013 easly x-files seasons will be available on blu-ray

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2012, 06:57 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

The first and second season box-set I have find they look a bit NSTC to PAL converted or are they?

I like the sound mix and Dolby surround presentation. Nice off screen dialouge pan of Mulder in his, litter basement office on stage left, just before Scully walks in.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2012, 20:51 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

substance wrote:
I believe 21 volumes(1 disc each) with 2 episodes per volumefor US. Volumes are in random order select episodes from first 4 seasons. Japanese volumes are 1 or 6 discs per volume. some seasons have 2 six disc volumes and some seasons have 2 six and 1 single disc volumes. all episodes upto season 7(including s7) are available. they are all in 4:3 ratio although season 5 and on are native 16:9. First 4 seasons are worth to own on LD as the picture quality is significantly better than dvd editions(especially first 2 seasons) season 5 and on are anamorphic widescreen on dvds. no extras on LD. digital and analog tracks include english soundtracks. japanese subtitles are imposed in picture but not very distracting at all. Picture quality on Japanese releases are among the best on laserdisc.

X-files were mostly shot on 35mm(except fx shots)but transfered to tape(broadcast grade 2" tapes, not vhs) and edited on tape. tape bandwidth is just a hair above laserdiscs therefor LDs are quite true to the source material. dvds have greater bandwidth however analog to digital conversion and digital compression add artifacts.

it is also confirmed late 2013 easly x-files seasons will be available on blu-ray

Ahhh, so those listed in the db are the only ones released in the US?

That sucks. I was hoping to just get one disc for F.Emasculata. Guess I'll have to spring for the Japanese box sets.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]