It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:41

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: King Kong: 60th Anniversary Colorized Version!
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2023, 09:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The Laserdisc of the King Kong: 60th Anniversary Colorized Version seems to be rare and expensive these days. The VHS release on the other hand is a little easier to track down, and I believe somebody uploaded the Colorized Version from the VHS over on the Internet Archive website.

Does anybody know how much of an improvement the transfer of the Colorized Version of King Kong (1933) is on LD vs VHS? The Colorized Version was also given a DVD release as well. Does the Colorized DVD look better than the Colorized LD?

Post subject: Re: King Kong: 60th Anniversary Colorized Version!
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2023, 13:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Colorization is satanic. I’ve never seen this movie colorized and never would I want to. It screams loud enough in b/w.

The only acceptable colorization I can think of would be Ray Harryhausen stuff since his earlier work was b/w only for budget reasons and he lived to approve the colorization. Also since they were colorized in the 21st century and not the 80s the effect is massively better. If colorization floats your boat then look for the newest one. Someone’s probably done it on YT.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2023, 17:51 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

alien wrote:
The Laserdisc of the King Kong: 60th Anniversary Colorized Version seems to be rare and expensive these days.

One just sold for 10 bucks, one sold for 80. Just stupid people paying stupid money FOMO.
In the past I thought about getting this but now I don't need 10 of everything I own other than socks.....

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2023, 18:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Where on the internet are people generating hype for a b*****d version of King Kong?

Never mind…Facebook, obviously….

Questioning the quality of the transfer is extra hilarious. They friggn colorized it. That’s how much they care about accurate transfers. They literally scribble all over it with digital crayons. They couldn’t even spell “authentic”.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2023, 19:44 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Using digital crayons from 1985 to colorize it :lol: , I remember renting the VHS or watching it on TV back in the day, that's all I remember.
If someone is one of those people who can't watch black and white films then collecting and enjoying films isn't for you.

Apologies in advance, not meant to bash you but the whole colorized thing is way old and dead, if you think you need to see what
people your grandparents age did with computers then I guess its cool, but if you knew the people where in it just for money it would be different.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2023, 00:40 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The earliest colorize jobs I remember had a very low number of colors often shared by more than one object on screen, sort of like how comic books and newspaper funnies before like…1988 or whenever it was had that super limited color process. Both old comics and early colorization had serious alignment/convergence issues as well come to think of it…so there’d be two guys and two cars on screen and each guy had a suit that matched one of the cars…that kind of thing.

If a movie is artfully effed with, that’s one thing. Then it’s a new thing, basically. Like Giorgio’s Metropolis for example or Spooky’s Birth of a Nation. I just can’t see someone who is capable of enjoying KK only being able to do so if it’s in bad color that was applied to the move decades after everyone who worked on it had died.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2023, 04:36 
Honest fan
Honest fan

alien wrote:
Does the Colorized DVD look better than the Colorized LD?

The colorized DVD looks much better as a drink coaster; the laser disc will look silly covering most of the table. (You could use the colorized King Kong laser disc as a "trivet" under a hot pizza tray, though, and it will look fine that way on the same table.)

The colorized laser disc will look OK when used as a Frisbee, too; reflections from the sun could be quite nice outdoors. Using a colorized-movie DVD as a Frisbee is a waste of time, though.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]