It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:19

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: DUNE PAL special editon
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2015, 14:38 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I managed to pickup a sealed copy of the PAL/SECAM special edition i.e. Dune: Special Edition (1984) [LDD 1009].

Watched it last night (didn't bother putting the T-Shirt on) and the quality is exceptional for 1984 film. The colours aren't the brightest but then again I suspect that is the way the film is meant to look.

Only problem however is the rot. The database lists it as none reported but I can confirm that both discs have rotted at the outside edge. Rather badly actually looking like black fungi. Luckly on sides 1 and 2 the rot doesn't protrude onto the readable surface of the disc. On side 3 however it does and as such after frame 53,000 odd it just freezes, not too bad I suppose as your only missing maybe 30 seconds of film (if even) but I suspect it is something that will get worse. Side 4 the rot is only present outside of the readable surface.

One thing I found odd was that when I first received the film a few weeks back I opened it up and quickly inspected everything but at that time I didn't notice the rot. It wasn't until last night when I took the disc out again that it was obvious. I can't help but wonder if me opening the sealed package changing the climate conditions the discs have been in for the last 20 years cause the rot problem in the first place.

Post subject: Re: DUNE PAL special editon
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2015, 19:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Discs are made by PDO UK. I don't think that within weeks after opening, your copy will start to degrade so fast. But something may have speed up the process.
Brown spots found on the surface is normal for most discs made by this distribution plant, there was something with the coating they've used. Also, many sealed discs have some puncture holes in the plastic so it isn't fully sealed and therefore it will be exposed to the climate conditions.
The problem with the database and the rot report is that it isn't accurate enough. If none haven't reported it for rot, doesn't mean it is rot-free, as I view it.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2015, 21:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have some UK discs that also have surface spots like that. Don't have a PAL player to actually test them, though.

The fact that they're sealed doesn't mean they will stay rot free. Far from it. Rot is caused by defects in the production process. It will happen when exposed to the atmosphere, and sealed discs are not vacuum packed. Chemical reactions could also occur I think. I've opened sealed discs and inserted them in my player just a matter of seconds after opening it. Have had a couple that actually had degraded so much that the audio and picture were distorted. This is also the very same reason I think paying more for a sealed copy is stupid.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2015, 00:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Well done on bagging that one - a lovely set :thumbup: .

I have this set (with the oft missing t-shirt also :D) & my discs also show markings on the outer edge very similar to yours.

As you have said overall the transfer is good & yours appears to play well so "rot" or "laser-rot" is not really the issue here. As mentioned many PDO Blackburn UK pressed discs have marks like the ones on your discs but still play as they should. I have a few discs from PDO UK where the whole surface of the disc has turned grey with large & small black blotches on them & they play with no issues. I have others from the same manufacturer that look as new but are suffering the dreaded rot, some are so far gone the player cannot read the information. Rot or laser-rot is where multi coloured dots appear on screen, sometimes mild but can be so bad the picture can drop-out & the audio can be affected - in the worst cases it can render a disc unplayable.

There is a name for the visual chemical change/reaction you can see on the disc & someone here will be able to fill you in more on that I hope.

I would think the marks were on your discs before you opened the outer wrap but perhaps you did not notice them on your first inspection.

Again a really nice set, enjoy.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2015, 09:26 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I suspect that the marks where there and as you say I simply didn't notice them but as long as the problem remains on the outer edge I'll be happy enough. Its a great box-set, just a shame the last seconds of side 3 are corrupt.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2015, 11:46 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sorry that your side 3 end has issues, how bad is it?

I think I will pop my copy into the player later, a few years since I have spun that one. It was fine when last viewed so will be interesting to see if it is still a good one or if anything has changed in the last few years.

Still a lovely box set & the inserts are pretty cool - in my opinion perhaps among the nicest of the PAL sets issued. The pre-feature animation demo tag for DOLBY SURROUND "The Best Sound All Round" by Capstone Films & Wibbly Wobbly Films is rather effective & I can't remember seeing it anywhere else. The thank-you list includes the BBC, the B.F.I. & Channel 4 plus others so a bit of care was taken compiling the set. Still do not understand why it was cropped in so much from around 4ish minutes from the feature start & not particularly subtly at that, should have just been left on the original intended aspect ratio. The 299 still shots at the end of the feature (or the"Still Frame Dump" as listed on the rear cover) were available on the enclosed sales sheet to order as 5" photographic prints at £19.99 GBsterling each or £29.99 for 2 & a "DUNE LASERDISC DISTRIBUTION" directors chair for £29.99 - I do not think many would have been sold at those prices but still fun to look through the stuff like this among the inserts in some of the LD box sets.

Time to spin a couple of discs!!

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2015, 17:25 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Can't remember exactly at what frame it stopped but it was 53000 odd on side 3 so just the dying seconds of that side.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2015, 21:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

PDO UK was THE WORST LaserDisc manufacturer of ANY, bar NONE. Even Technidisc got their crap together and turned out decent titles. I cringe every time I open a PDO-UK disc because I know it will be abject garbage.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2015, 00:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

blam1 wrote:
PDO UK was THE WORST LaserDisc manufacturer of ANY, bar NONE. Even Technidisc got their crap together and turned out decent titles. I cringe every time I open a PDO-UK disc because I know it will be abject garbage.

Yeh & almost all if not every disc format pressed at that plant had issues of one kind or another at some point with whole runs of some titles issued now unplayable.

The standards there were pretty poor & until 1989/'90ish so called "important" visitors were able to tour the PDO UK Blackburn plant & would even enter the clean rooms to watch the mastering of the discs taking place often without any protective clothing/hairnets etcetera. It was not until 1989/'90ish that the clean rooms became no-go areas for anyone but technicians. There were stories that the clean room doors were often left open & the weather could also affect the quality of the product. On the horrendous problems from day one with PDO UK CDVs a marketing manager said that the problems were "organic" and varied unpredictably from day to day..... "We would get good pressings one week but then not the next". It really was a rot factory & how they could be so poor for so many years was quite unbelievable. I have given up on the hunt for some PDO UK pressed titles after many rotten copies, a real pity as some of them were PDO PAL UK only issues & not given a release in the US or Japan.

They did actually at times produce good discs but sadly they are the exception rather than the norm.

Just finished watching the PDO pressed LDD-1009 DUNE discs & they are (thankfully :thumbup: ) still performing as they should though the disc edges have grey staining on the outer edge of both the discs.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2015, 14:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

glen_m wrote:
Can't remember exactly at what frame it stopped but it was 53000 odd on side 3 so just the dying seconds of that side.

Just checked this (any excuse to power-up the player :thumbup: ) & the last frame on side 3 is 53825 with the last actual image frame 53820 so only a little is missing.

I am currently going through some boxes as we are clearing some stuff out, my wife says we need the space & she has a point.

I think one of the boxes may have a copy of this title with no inserts & a very rough box but the discs were fine when checked ages ago. I may have sold it along with others a few years ago but one of the boxes does contain some LDs though & they were stuck away as most were a bit rough cover wise & unsellable. If it is among what is left I can check the second disc in the set & if it is a good player you are welcome to it to give you a fully playable set. Going through quite a bit of stuff just now with only a few more boxes to go through so if it is still here I should come across it fairly soon - will let you know if it turns up & can pop it off to you if you can use it.

Enjoyed watching this one again.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2015, 15:06 
Serious fan
Serious fan

That would be greatly appreciated if you had the spare disc. Drop me a message if you find it.

It's a shame the plant that pressed it didn't take more care in their manufacturing. The mastering on this set is second to none, the image is in my opinion as good as your going to get on laserdisc. Even on my crapola 2850 the image is crystal clear and the sound if first class.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 00:24 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If it is still here then it is yours if turns up - better spinning in a player than hidden away never to be used again.

Will be in touch.

Cheers

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2021, 22:58 
First post
First post

Just joined. I made that Dune Special Edition. All 4 sides CAV the master tape came from Channel 4 and I recorded the 300 still frames from the BFI archive. It was a unique release. Only 500 copies ever released.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2021, 01:33 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Did you work for PDO?

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2021, 05:15 
Site Admin
Site Admin

phonovision wrote:
Just joined. I made that Dune Special Edition. All 4 sides CAV the master tape came from Channel 4 and I recorded the 300 still frames from the BFI archive. It was a unique release. Only 500 copies ever released.

Oh cool, it's rare we get insights from professionals from the LD golden age!

Welcome to the Forum, feel free to give us any anecdotes about this project!

Julien

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2021, 02:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

phonovision have you removed/deleted your first lengthier post from this thread?

If you have not where has it gone.

This set was mentioned at an exhibitors meeting a couple of years after it was released & that 2000 copies were issued. Also that there were still copies on retailers shelves & also a number in held stock, are you sure only 500 copies left the factory.

Any info would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]