It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:59

Page 28 of 32 [ 638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2012, 06:55 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

tomtastic wrote:
Watched Brave 3D TrueHD 5.1, hmm said 7.1 on the back and 7.1 on the menu screen but it only saw 5.1. I need to investigate this. Then watched Amazing Spidey 3D DTS HD MA 5.1. Both were scope which I don't think works well for 3D. 1.78 is better because it utilizes more horizontal lines for added depth.

It might be one of the few settings in the players output that is switched off and will only output as Dolby 5.1 I had the same issue with Sony BDP-S550 wondering why it outputs in dtsHDMA 7.1 but not Dolby TrueHD 7.1.

I forget which settings I adjusted now on player I'm looking at the menu right now, I don't want to mess with it as it now works for all formats. My Sony player only outputs though 8 RCA to 8 channel input on the AVR.

Just fiddle around with audio settings if your dtsHDMA 7.1 is working fine, just look under the Dolby settings.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2012, 00:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I tried the 2D version and got the same results. It's only getting 5.1 TrueHD. I'm wondering if I need to update the player. It was new in the box and hadn't been updated. I played around in the menu but I don't see any setting for True HD.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2012, 01:05 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

tomtastic wrote:
I tried the 2D version and got the same results. It's only getting 5.1 TrueHD. I'm wondering if I need to update the player. It was new in the box and hadn't been updated. I played around in the menu but I don't see any setting for True HD.

Go to a another thread the Risk as this does seem to fit into the Risk category and do some screen shots of your menu on your player and let me have think? :think: it might be you need firmware update it then again it might not be.

When you get to the Risk thread, picture of the player and the AVR front and back pictures so get snapping now! Picture of the menu settings from the TV also type of leads connected to the player to AVR. Get to it, get cracking.

Also In want a complete Dolby TrueHD 7.1 list that you have on bluray.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2012, 01:55 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

The Final Countdown (1980) Dolby Stereo Digital TrueHD 7.1 Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System.

I can't get over chapter 1 its awesome with John Scott, score just as the seaking lands on the U.S.S. Nimiz I have to play chapter 1 again, wicked with all those strings playing as the seaking lands just wicked. :thumbup:

The end credits is a bit toppy on the strings there's a mild bass mid present and if I wanted to I could put ether boast across the bass mid with Low pass filter or high pass across the HF horns and lower the level of HF filter down so many -db and raise the overall master fader level up. But I have no means to doing the same for the surrounds at present and so the whole level would be out of place unless I install a few more and I've been on about it for a while to get two or more DCX2496 that way I can I manage the system a with a bit more ease. rather than chasing my tail around in circles!

If I fatten up the screen bass I need to do the same for the surrounds to keep timber balance uniform.

The Dolby film mix as it goes whether I'm playing the region 2 DVD Dolby stereo matrix as I heard in the cinema in 1980, afternoon after a morning visit to the dentist as I had the day off from school.

I remember seeing the film in the upstairs Gaumont, slightly seated to the right hand side of the cinema in the circle seating stalls looking at this wide image, that I know a scope now.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2012, 04:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Perfect Blue: Special Collection Box — considering how the movie plays with the concept of obsession, the way this edition is constructed precisely to appeal to obsessive fans is interesting to say the least.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2012, 02:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Rob Roy
Format: Blu ray
Audio: DTS HD MA 5.1

This film released on April 7, 1995 about a month before Braveheart, both about men running around in kilts but in different centuries. I saw Braveheart in theater, twice actually. I later saw Rob Roy on VHS. It just recovered its production cost of 28 million while Braveheart cost nearly twice that to produce. Besides both films releasing so close and both about Scottish history, they really are nothing alike. It was good to see this film again, a big improvement over the VHS, which was probably full screen at the rental store. I know Braveheart was the movie to see that year but Rob Roy is still a movie worth revisiting. It's hard to think about Rob Roy without remembering Braveheart but when you sit down and watch it, Braveheart is farthest from your mind. It has a plot you can follow with some very strong scenes but moves along at a casual pace. The climatic sword fight at the end is especially cinematic excellence at its finest.

There is some memorable dialogue to go along with the plot.

"Love is a dung hill, Betty, and I am but a c**k that climbs upon it to crow." I just couldn't help to laugh at this one, either by the line or the way Tim Roth delivered it.

The Blu ray isn't overly impressive. It lacks any special features what-so-ever. I would have watched them if they were present as a making-of documentary would be interesting.

There's still a fair amount of film grain but sitting back 8 feet it isn't that noticeable. The colors stand out well, even in the darker scenes.

There's a number of darker scenes that appear to be shot with available light. The detail on the Blu ray is fairly decent because of the lower light levels like in these end climatic shots:

The audio is presented in DTS HD MA 5.1 and after looking it appears the release in theater was only DTS Surround and DTS Stereo. Here's the end credits audio and video details:

Audio levels are generally soft. The soundtrack is quite pleasant and doesn't rise above the dialogue or effects. There isn't much rear surround happening but the film only has a few scenes worth utilizing your home theater's maximum potential. The end dual is one scene worth noting as you feel as if you're in the center of the room, with the pointed tip or Archibald's rapier right in your face. With each slice you can almost feel the pain as he nicks away at you, slowly wearing you down as you can barely lift your sword from fatigue. An epic duel and the DTS track is nicely mixed.

Bottom Line: Overall it doesn't have the big budget feel like Braveheart, but you can watch it without having to expect it to overly impress you. It's an overshadowed film, underrated a little and worth adding to your collection if you haven't already.

Picture 8 HD transfer isn't the best, but looks decent for Blu ray. Natural lightening scenes hold up with moderate detail.
Sound 7 Not a film if you want every speaker in your home theater reaching its potential, but the DTS mix for this film is adequate and should sound fine on most 5.1 setups. Only 1 or 2 scenes really stood out. The music plays nice into the mix and has a warm feel to it as it blends into the background. The end titles music is melodic and closes the film on a warm note.
Plot/story 7 the movie itself doesn't have that epic feel you might get from Braveheart but it's still an enjoyable movie if you forget about large, open-field battle scenes and like character and dialogue driven stories. The dialogue is most notably the best part of Rob Roy.
Overall 7.5 An average flick, would be better with a few special features but it will have to do.

Last edited by tomtastic on 28 Nov 2012, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2012, 02:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tomtastic wrote:
Watched Rob Roy on Blu ray last night.

The audio is presented in DTS HD MA 5.1 and after looking it appears the release in theater was only DTS Surround and DTS Stereo. Here's the end credits audio and video details:

The "official" name for theatrical DTS Digital Sound is DTS-6 - of course, that was then - now that it's Datasat, who knows what they call it. Datasat is such an awful name.

DTS Stereo is the full equivalent of analog Dolby Stereo - the theatrical version uses Dolby SR Noise Reduction and a surround encoding matrix that is 100% the same as the Dolby MP Matrix - the original matrix encoding patents are all expired so analog DTS Stereo plus digital DTS-6 gave studios one-stop film sound licensing instead of having to license DTS-6 for digital sound and then go to Dolby for an analog Dolby Stereo license. For monitoring the DTS Stereo mix, DTS even used the professional Dolby CAT#150E Dolby Pro-Logic surround decoder card since Dolby would sell them to anyone. Later, DTS developed their own fully digital matrix surround decoder that became Neo:6 in home decoders and was used theatrically for the DTS ES extended surround system - only the home system of DTS ES had a discrete option.

Of course, in reality, a studio doesn't need to take out any license to mix and release a film in analog matrix surround since its no longer under patent protection and Dolby doesn't and has never charged a licensing fee for using any of their noise reduction systems on recordings. The digital sound systems really gave Dolby a boost theatrically because they had something new to license, SR-D, as the matrix surround patents all expired.

Just thought I'd share that bit of surround info.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2012, 03:45 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Since you mentioned DTS ES and Dolby EX, we talked about this on another thread ... I have been sampling some of these sources from DVD and BD and got mixed results. There is Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES and DTS ES Discrete 6.1, like you said DTS Discrete is the only true 6.1 home video.

I finally have the receiver to decode these as my older receiver was from around 2001 or '02 and didn't have this feature. You also mentioned and I've been reading about it in other audio video forums as well, that pre 2001 DVD's lacked a necessary flag to enable the rear center channel. I've found that to be true on several DVD's. The Phantom Menace and a few others I sampled for DD EX, which failed to bring up the "XC" box on my receiver. XC would indicate a rear center channel, though not specifically that it is discrete, just that it is flagged. Yet I was successful in other titles like The Running Man and Mission to Mars (I think, I need to check again to be sure).

This is also the case with some DTS ES titles (non discrete), they don't seem to always be flagged. There are even some that are in EX or ES that aren't noted on the back cover or on the disc. I think Pitch Black is one of these. DTS ES is the hard one to distinguish because they really don't indicate whether the DTS ES are 6.1 or Matrix and I have to rely on 3rd party lists. My receiver flags them sometimes and other times they don't, depends on the movie. As for DTS ES 6.1 discrete on Blu ray as well as DD EX on Blu ray, I have had no problems so far. A good example is Stargate on Bluray which has both DD EX and DTS ES 6.1. Both work and are flagged on the receiver.

I've had a few Blu ray titles that also flag DTS ES Matrix (non discrete), which is how I would expect them to show up on DVD, but they only show up as DTS ES with the XC indicator. I haven't had a DVD show up as ES Matrix yet. On the Blu ray titles like on A Bug's Life, I see ES Matrix displayed.

I've taken pictures of my receiver displaying all these. I'll have to go back through them and make a new post. I'll also provide DVD titles and Blu ray that I sampled as well. Of course I don't think the receiver is really seeing a difference in 6.1 or EX, it just flags it for that channel. I just know from what I read it is the only true discrete 6.1 as it is truly mixed into 7 discrete channels instead of matrixed from the rear surrounds. We had this discussion over on the Phantom Menace, whether or not that movie on LD is really 6.1. I guess that depends on whether or not you believe that DD EX is 6.1. I know on most forums DTS ES 6.1 discrete is regarded as the only 6.1 source.

Anyway it's interesting to finally go back through some DVD's and see them work, some of them at least. I've got a 7.1 setup so I'm thinking the two rear surrounds XL/XR are combined to make the center surround. I'll post this over in nothing related as it's not about LD directly. Not sure when, it might be a day or two.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2012, 04:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tomtastic wrote:
Since you mentioned DTS ES and Dolby EX, we talked about this on another thread ... I have been sampling some of these sources from DVD and BD and got mixed results. There is Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES and DTS ES Discrete 6.1, like you said DTS Discrete is the only true 6.1 home video.

I finally have the receiver to decode these as my older receiver was from around 2001 or '02 and didn't have this feature. You also mentioned and I've been reading about it in other audio video forums as well, that pre 2001 DVD's lacked a necessary flag to enable the rear center channel. I've found that to be true on several DVD's. The Phantom Menace and a few others I sampled for DD EX, which failed to bring up the "XC" box on my receiver. XC would indicate a rear center channel, though not specifically that it is discrete, just that it is flagged. Yet I was successful in other titles like The Running Man and Mission to Mars (I think, I need to check again to be sure).

This is also the case with some DTS ES titles (non discrete), they don't seem to always be flagged. There are even some that are in EX or ES that aren't noted on the back cover or on the disc. I think Pitch Black is one of these. DTS ES is the hard one to distinguish because they really don't indicate whether the DTS ES are 6.1 or Matrix and I have to rely on 3rd party lists. My receiver flags them sometimes and other times they don't, depends on the movie. As for DTS ES 6.1 discrete on Blu ray as well as DD EX on Blu ray, I have had no problems so far. A good example is Stargate on Bluray which has both DD EX and DTS ES 6.1. Both work and are flagged on the receiver.

I've had a few Blu ray titles that also flag DTS ES Matrix (non discrete), which is how I would expect them to show up on DVD, but they only show up as DTS ES with the XC indicator. I haven't had a DVD show up as ES Matrix yet. On the Blu ray titles like on A Bug's Life, I see ES Matrix displayed.

I've taken pictures of my receiver displaying all these. I'll have to go back through them and make a new post. I'll also provide DVD titles and Blu ray that I sampled as well. Of course I don't think the receiver is really seeing a difference in 6.1 or EX, it just flags it for that channel. I just know from what I read it is the only true discrete 6.1 as it is truly mixed into 7 discrete channels instead of matrixed from the rear surrounds. We had this discussion over on the Phantom Menace, whether or not that movie on LD is really 6.1. I guess that depends on whether or not you believe that DD EX is 6.1. I know on most forums DTS ES 6.1 discrete is regarded as the only 6.1 source.

Anyway it's interesting to finally go back through some DVD's and see them work, some of them at least. I've got a 7.1 setup so I'm thinking the two rear surrounds XL/XR are combined to make the center surround. I'll post this over in nothing related as it's not about LD directly. Not sure when, it might be a day or two.

This is a really techy-nerd answer, but DTS ES 6.1 Discrete is not a true discrete system with 3 completely independent rear channels. Instead, it is a discrete matrix because the center back channel is matrixed into left and right surround, just like Dolby EX, and there is also a discrete center back channel. If played without a DTS ES Discrete decoder it will sound like standard DTS 5.1, and if played through a Dolby EX system, the matrixed center back will be decoded. When played through a DTS ES Discrete decoder, the extra center back channel is extracted from the bitstream and then added, in reverse phase, to the L and R surround channels, thereby subtracting the matrixed center back signals in the surrounds. All that is left in L and R surround is the original L and R surround information plus any 'residue' or quantization noise due to the data compression. So, while its discrete, it still uses a matrix - a discrete matrix - DTS ES and Dolby EX are known as 3:2:3 matrix systems, showing 3 channels are matrixed down to 2 and then decoded back to 3. DTS ES Discrete is a 3:3:3 matrix showing the 3 original channels are transformed into 3 different channels and then decoded back to the original 3. This is much like FM stereo where two stereo channels are matrixed into two different channels for compatability with mono receivers - in this case, sum and difference - and then decoded via a decoding matrix into the two original stereo channels.

Yes, its dorky of me to know this.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2012, 04:37 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

id

Last edited by laserbite34 on 29 Nov 2012, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 18:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This is the way I've been reading it across the web. I know it really comes down to how it was encoded for the disc.

From Wiki:
Quote:
DTS-ES (DTS Extended Surround) includes two variants, DTS-ES Matrix and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, depending on how the sound was originally mastered and stored.[2] Both variants are implemented in ways which are compatible with DTS decoders which do not include support for DTS-ES.

DTS-ES Matrix provides 5.1 discrete channels, with a matrixed center-surround audio channel. DTS processors that are compatible with the ES codec look for and recognize "flags" built into the audio coding and "unfold" the rear-center sound from data that would otherwise be sent to rear surround speakers. DTS decoders which do not understand ES process the sound as if it were standard 5.1, and the matrixed audio for the center surround channel is output equally from the two surround speakers (very much as a sound intended to be in the centre of the sound field in a stereo recording is played equally by the left and right speakers). This is notated as DTS-ES 5.1.

DTS-ES Discrete provides 6.1 discrete channels, with a discretely recorded (non-matrixed) center-surround channel; in home theater systems with a 7.1 configuration, the two rear-center speakers play in mono. To maintain compatibility with DTS decoders which do not support DTS-ES, the center-surround channel is also matrixed into the left and right surround channels, so that the rear center channel's sound is still present when played in 5.1 on a non-ES system; an ES decoder removes the matrixed audio from these two channels when playing back DTS-ES Discrete soundtracks. DTS-ES Discrete is sometimes notated as DTS-ES 6.1. Only a few DVD titles have been released with DTS-ES Discrete.

In contrast, Dolby's competing EX codec, which also boasts a center rear channel, can only handle matrixed data and does not support a discrete sixth channel; it is most directly comparable to DTS-ES Matrix.

Note: The center-rear/surround channel is encoded and decoded in exactly the same way as the center-front. The center surround channel can be decoded using any surround sound processor by feeding the left and right surround signals to the processor inputs. Left-Center-Right surround is produced. This will work for a "center surround" reproduction, whether the source material is explicitly encoded, as in DTS-ES, or hidden as ambience in any 5.1 source, including DTS-ES 5.1 and Dolby 5.1.

Quote:
DTS-ES Discrete provides 6.1 discrete channels, with a discretely recorded (non-matrixed) center-surround channel
I don't know how they arrive at 6.1 discrete channels, but reading this and in other places it would seem that the center rear was not a matrix of the rear surrounds meaning it doesn't borrow anything from SL/SR and is fully independent. I've read this in a few other places as well. I know the data has to come from somewhere, so it's taken from the rear surrounds and fed into one discrete channel before it goes onto the disc? I assume there weren't any true 6.1 movies released in theater, so no true 7 track source, so it'd have it be matrixed from something if that's the case. Maybe, while not being a true discrete channel and source the receiver sees it as a discrete channel because of the way it's encoded, where ES Matrix and DD EX are not.

Quote:
In contrast, Dolby's competing EX codec, which also boasts a center rear channel, can only handle matrixed data and does not support a discrete sixth channel; it is most directly comparable to DTS-ES Matrix.

Another reason I don't think DD EX is 6.1. While it's being flagged and decoded at the avr, it's merely borrowing information from SL/SR and doesn't have a separate channel. And in most places I don't see DD EX advertised as 6.1, rather DD EX 5.1.

But I think in the case of Phantom Menace, it really depends on whether or not you can force your receiver into EX mode. If not, then you do not have DD EX and Phantom Menace will simply be DD 5.1.

Another thing that might be the difference and along with how it's done, DD EX and ES Matrix are these being matrixed at the receiver when playing and properly flagged? I assume that's what's happening. In other words, if ES Matrix is flagged, the receiver is doing the job of diverting information to the rear center (on the fly) vs. having predetermined information on the disc that is fed to the rear center (ES Discrete). The way I understand it the former is the way it's done -correct me if I'm wrong. And if so that might be the biggest difference between discrete and matrix. Hopefully I haven't just confused myself or you even more. :crazy:

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 20:18 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

id

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 20:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

laserbite34 wrote:
tomtastic

Here is a list with dts-ES 6.1 discrete tiles. It seems the user hasn't made any new changes since 2010.

Quote:
DOLBY DIGITAL SURROUND EX AND DTS-ES DVDs
http://www.spannerworks.net/reference/10_9a.asp

That's the list I've been using as well as http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/17262/dd-ex-dts-es-encoded-movies-listing. Not all of them are flagged on the disc, so unless your receiver can manually enable it you just get 5.1. I need to play around with them some more. I see I have one or two matrix settings on my receiver, not sure if it is the same thing.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 20:51 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

id

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 21:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I just found the Dolby Digital EX manual setting on my receiver. Can't find a specific ES Matrix setting.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 21:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Gladiator, the DTS ES Discrete works but doesn't flag the DD EX. I know it's mostly 2001 and older DVD's. I've had newer ones work right.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 21:40 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

id

Last edited by laserbite34 on 29 Nov 2012, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 21:44 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

id

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012, 05:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Actually Gladiator R1 doesn't have EX, I thought it did, it has DTS ES Discrete which works. I sampled some more R1 DVD's, Mission to Mars has DD EX but receiver doesn't get flagged. Austin Powers Goldmember, DTS ES Discrete works, 5.1 EX isn't flagged, Rush Hour 2 DTS ES Matrix doesn't flag, neither does X2. DTS Discrete stuff always seems to work, just have trouble with DD EX and DTS ES Matrix on DVD. Blu ray's seem to always work.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012, 13:17 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

id

Page 28 of 32 [ 638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next