It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:51

Page 31 of 32 [ 638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 02:17 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I noticed that on the searching around 24 movie?

I agree natural light setting as I've been having snags with flash? Only small snag with natural light is the image looks too noisy on my camera.

JacK Ryan collection seems like bargain. Not sure why Alec Baldwin was replaced with Harrison Ford for two films then replaced again with :lol: Ben Affleck its like, Paramount goes with young then middle age then young again.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 02:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I was disappointed with Ben Affleck, I like the other films, I think Alec Baldwin was pretty good too.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 02:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

laserbite34 wrote:
"The scene on the 747 Air Force One that is also another (Wolfgang Petersen) films looks similar on some of the interior shots at 00:52:08 even tracks in same way along the left side of the plane even thou we see it on right side view.

I think I watched on Directv they actually have a mock up set of Air Force One that is just for movies/tv.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 03:12 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

tomtastic wrote:
laserbite34 wrote:
"The scene on the 747 Air Force One that is also another (Wolfgang Petersen) films looks similar on some of the interior shots at 00:52:08 even tracks in same way along the left side of the plane even thou we see it on right side view.

I think I watched on Directv they actually have a mock up set of Air Force One that is just for movies/tv.

I see so are the mock ups of what the interior actually looks like, on the real Air Force One?

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 04:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sphere
Format: Blu ray via Plex
Audio: 5.1 DD
AVR: THX SURR EX

Originally viewed after home video release in '98 and maybe once more on DVD. First time viewing in HD.

Barnes: "If this translation is right this alien sounds like an idiot." Beth: "That's something to consider - a stupid alien. Well, they must have them."

An 80 million budget and only earned 37 million US, so a box office flop. Still, it's worth a watch as it has an interesting choice of actors. I like Dustin Hoffman's character but all of them are unique, similar to characters in Jurassic Park. It's like a Jurassic Park underwater, unfortunately it didn't wow audiences with the Sphere the way it did the T-Rex.

Unknown Entry Event:
Similar to Star Wars:
"Follow the yellow-brick road."

Final Thoughts: Similar to Event Horizon (the core) from 1997. Sphere is more of a Sci fi mystery, instead of straight-up horror like 'Horizon'. Both deal with a sphere that's the center of strange occurrences. I remember my initial reaction wasn't overly positive with this film but I've grown to like it with each viewing. Blu ray release is a good reason to view this one again.

Picture: 8.5 Most of the film is set underwater against gray backgrounds so the overall images are subdued, soft and dark. The Blu ray presents a fine amount of clarity and color balance.
Audio: 8.0 Crisp and clear effects from the DD 5.1, lots of water noises like most underwater movies. There's a fair amount going on throughout the film so your speakers will get a workout on this one.
Plot/Story: 7.5 The Sphere seems like a partial rip off of Event Horizon, even though the novel was written first. 'Horizon' released first to theaters and we already had our fear of Spheres. Still this movie is a good, clean Sci fi caper. It keeps you guessing, and it's worth rewatching now and then with a good choice of actors and special effects.
Overall: 8.0 Despite a box office bomb, I like it. It's not the best of its kind but I'll probably view it again in a year or two. If you like Sci fi and underwater films this will probably work for you. Don't expect 2001: A Space Odyssey but you'll find it interesting. The Blu ray release was worth watching this again and gives a nice, clean video transfer and soundtrack.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 05:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

OK, stupid question - what is "Blu-ray via Plex?"

Also, a sincere thank you for reviewing the disc itself and not really the film/story/acting, etc, - I wanna know about the disc and can get reviews of the film itself elsewhere. Many, many disc reviewers ( and I'm not talking about LDDB specifically - Highdefdigest is a notorious abuser of disc reviews) think they are or have to be a Roger Ebert or, gay-rights forbid, Rex Reed.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 05:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

disclord wrote:
OK, stupid question - what is "Blu-ray via Plex?"

Also, a sincere thank you for reviewing the disc itself and not really the film/story/acting, etc, - I wanna know about the disc and can get reviews of the film itself elsewhere. Many, many disc reviewers ( and I'm not talking about LDDB specifically - Highdefdigest is a notorious abuser of disc reviews) think they are or have to be a Roger Ebert or, gay-rights forbid, Rex Reed.

I just take the Blu ray, re encode it to either .mkv or .m4v for Plex Media Center, depends on my mood which I'll play it from, but the main deference now between disc and media center is I have everything on media center (one format) and disc is on 4 different formats (LD/DVD/HD DVD/BD), plus the wife and kids can play anything from the library without scratching up my discs! And from all TV's, computers and handhelds in the house and cloud.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 06:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

laserbite34 wrote:
tomtastic wrote:
laserbite34 wrote:

I see so are the mock ups of what the interior actually looks like, on the real Air Force One?

http://featuresets.warnerbros.com/747_mock.htm

I recognized the mock up from Air Force One, 24 (season 4 I think), I guess Executive Decision used it too.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 07:43 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I haven't watched Sphere for about 1 year. Once I start I can run it 3 or 4 times. :thumbup:

I used to have the Dolby AC-3 laserdisc or hold on? I think I might have it? Not sure if I bought it from shop a few years before when I sold off a bulk of my laserdiscs. I know I have it on region 2 DVD.

No I don't have it on Laserdisc I was sure I did unless I didn't closely though my collection. I'll check my database to double check.

Nope I don't have it on Laserdisc. :(

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 08:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I may get this LD. It's a later release and it looks like a nice cover and it's pretty cheap.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 15:44 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Go for it, go for it. :clap: I was almost dead certain, myself I had it on LD. As I recall playing audio commentary track. I never bought this, when I was buying LD though Laserdisc suppliers I bought it a few years after I sold off most my LD and wished I hadn't. :thumbdown:

Ether the LD had been misplaced in moving home or I need to have good look again. I'm starting to really kick myself as I wanted to play it in Dolby AC-3, this morning. I guess I'll have to settle with DVD.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012, 07:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Timecop
Format: HD DVD
Audio: 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus

Originally viewed VHS rental mid 90's likely a P&S. I don't think any views until now on HD DVD. I remember the opening scene and the part where he travels back to 1929 stock market crash, that's about it.

This one starts off well and has an interesting premise but the story really just levels off and leaves you disappointed after the first 45 minutes. I'm thinking there should have been more scenes like the opening scene and the 1929 scene, instead we get a very uninteresting warehouse location later on, and a very dark house siege at the climax. I like natural lighting but there's a point to how dark a movie can be before you get tired of squinting and just get frustrated.

I've noticed this about Peter Hyams films, they tend to be very dark and naturally lighted. This one is only dark in a few scenes but it just happens to be the most important one at the end and you simply loose track of who's who.

I made the mistake of watching Timecop during the day, I had shades drawn but still the dark scenes were nearly impossible to see. This is in no way a fault of the transfer, it's just too darn dark. I know Relic and End of Days, other Hyams films are also dark throughout and even more than Timecop, still I don't see the fascination with it.

To me it appears cheap. If you can't see what you're filming then you don't need to spend much on detail. That being said Hyams has made some fantastic films, notably 2010 and Outland also Hanover Street with Harrison Ford that I watched earlier this year.

The VC1 transfer is actually pretty good. Most scenes are very crisp with sufficient detail, just 2 or 3 really dark scenes that should have been given some additional lighting to begin with. Most of the film appears to be naturally lit, and some scenes do work pretty well with ample given light like the next image. The Dolby Digital Plus is sufficient, there's really not a lot going on in the rear. It's Van Damme so punches, kicks mostly and futuristic gunshots, oh and the occasional time machine rocketing down the runway.

This scene works well with natural lighting, gives that warm indoor feel. Personally I feel the darker scenes just need more light in some way.
The Alien from "The Arrival":
The launch room, similar to Stargate:
Hmm, looks like a 21:9 CRT? Did anyone make those in 2004?
I always laugh at how Hollywood looked at the future. Cars didn't quite look like this in 2004:

Final Thoughts: It's Van Damme! What else do you expect me to say?

Picture: 8.0 Very clean transfer, nice detail, a knockoff for Peter Hyams choice of zero light in 2 or 3 spots but overall it was an enjoyable watch on HD DVD. I like his movies but at times I don't agree with his choice of low lighting.
Audio: 7.5 Nothing notably wrong that stood out, just not really outstanding soundtrack or effects. The DD+ appears very bright and well amplified from the start. I hate it when I have to crank the volume and that isn't the case with Timecop. Overall, it does feel a little low budget, but I don't recall any big blockbuster Van Damme movies so it's pretty average here as well.
Plot/Story: 7.0 Main excuse: it's Van Damme. Reason to watch it: It's Van Damme. Still, Peter Hyams, a nice background premise, it could have been something great.
Extras: None, except for My Scene (book marking) no score.
Overall: 7.5 Only available on Blu ray in a combo pack with Bloodsport and it's likely the same VC1 transfer as this HD DVD, though the audio is DTS HD MA on the BD so a higher bit rate than the DD+, without having the BD I can't compare but I'll be satisfied with the HD DVD as a final product. No need to double dip.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012, 14:38 
True fan
True fan

In response to the post above, I absolutely despised Timecop. I thought it was uninteresting from the get go, and it just got worse. Only watched it because my friends wanted to finish it.
Last night I watched Coraline and Kill Bill Vol. 2. Both great flicks, especially on Blu Ray.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012, 16:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I have the DTS LaserDisc of Timecop but it looks like I'm gonna have to get the HD-DVD of it now. So far I haven't had any Universal HD-DVD's rot on me, unlike Warner (the HD discs in my Blade Runner set are all unplayable as are my copies of The Avaitor, 2001 and many other Warner's - but all Uni's are perfect). While Timecop is a dumb film, it's mindless fun, unlike a film such as, oh, Armageddon which is so stupid in every respect that you can feel you IQ lowering as you - that thing. I looked at Armageddon on DVD last night and now I think, uh

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012, 16:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Regarding the DD+ soundtrack on the HD-DVD of Timecop - Dolby Digital Plus is very different from it's counterpart on Blu-ray and on HD-DVD is, for all intents, truly audibly transparent, so I can't imagine that the Blu-ray's lossless soundtrack would sound any better or different unless it's been tweaked for BD release, like has happened to the video encodes done for HD-DVD as they make their way to BD. the BD of Carpenter's The Thing is just sad due to the heavy noise reduction applied to the image. The HD looks like film - the BD, not so much... And not very high def looking either.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012, 17:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Probably the only reason I remember the opening scene and the '29 (first Van Damme time travel scene) is because they were the only memorable scenes in the movie. It starts off great, but just takes a very uninteresting plug after the first 30 or 45 minutes.

If it were my movie I would have scrapped the whole wife-dying bookending parts, left the opening and '29 scene, then done what this movie is supposed to do: time travel. For a time travel movie he goes back...3 times? The second time to the warehouse which was really boring and low light, cheap looking set, the second to save his wife, climbing around on roof tops with zero light and this was the climax.

The opening scene with the confederate gold heist was probably the best scene in the movie. They go back in time to steal gold to fund the election campaign, ok that seems a strange reason to go back in time but I would have done more scenes like this with Van Damme traveling back to stop them, more action then wrap up the movie with Van Damme stopping the creation of the time travel device. It's a paradox but time travel doesn't really make since anyway, it never really works logically.

I can think of plenty of time travel events that would fill the rest of the movie and then it might be good enough to make it a 2hr film instead of 90 minutes like most Van Damme movies. Maybe travel back to 1937 when Fort Knox became a gold bullion depository and have Van Damme stop them from stealing a very large deposit. Or go back further, maybe to Inca times or Egyptian times when gold was used for decoration. Van Damme arrives just in time to stop Khufu's tomb from being raided.

I seem to remember this movie being better than it was, maybe from the fantastic opening scene. Bottom line: it could have been a great film, but wasn't. But ... it's Van Damme.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2012, 17:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Watched the Bourne Trilogy recently on HD DVD. Very nice use of rear surrounds on these and the soundtrack plays really nicely into the effects.

Watched The Watcher, HD DVD. I think I found Keanu Reeves worst film ever, except for his appearance in Paula Abdul's music video Hush, Hush.

Watched The Game last night. (Spoiler alert. Don't keep reading if you haven't seen.) Originally viewed this after home video release came out. I absolutely hated the ending when I saw it then. I gave it another try on HD DVD last night. It's a nice thriller, mystery and action. I just find it hard to believe it was all a game. There were so many times he could have been killed. Not to mention the final scene when he jumps, how do they know where he'll jump? How do they know he didn't buy a gun off the street? It stretches believability a little too far. Strangely, the ending didn't quite p**s me off this time around though.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2012, 18:25 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I was engrossed the first time I saw the Game, and I too was disappointed with the ending the first time but I've grown to accept it. The film is so consistently good most of the way through that I'll let it off for not having a flawless ending.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2012, 00:08 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

tomtastic nice snapper shots of "TIME COP". I first saw it at the local ABC screen 1, Bournemouth thou the cinema only had at the time Dolby CP200 to play. Still its a cool Peter Hyams who does his, own DP work. The sound playback was best in the town or area.

Second viewing was at the Empire Leicester Square screen 1 THX. Sound was playback was presented in dts with dts trailer and then THX and film. The time travel scene with cars being blasted across track pressed on my body! I was sat front row and centre as wanted to see the scope slightly curved screen up close, plus the curved sloping raised floor around the screen made it all to cool. 8-)

The Foley body punches and kicks where to chest or tummy and often made me rock back in the rocker seat.

I saw it third time at the ABC screen 1 again and Empire wins. I should have paid to see TIME COP twice if I liked it was short running time and I had plenty of time :mrgreen: before the last couch back home.

I only have the first THX laserdisc pressing the first R2 DVD pressing and that's it.

Even the scene where he stops bag grabber on roller-skates was felt in THX the quick whip of the leg though the air.

READ IT!

Between the lines?

I should get the f$&k out of here.
:lol:

Never interrupt me when I'm talking to myself. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2012, 22:03 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

"Were going in the first wave...means more bugs for us to kill. You smash the entire area, you kill anything with more than two legs"! "WE GET YOU, SIR"!!!!!!!

STARSHIOP TROOPERS or ROTSHIP TROOPERS :mrgreen: now playing in Dolby Stereo Digital AC-3 Lucasfilm THX sound system.

"PUT YOUR HAND ON THAT WALL"! Not worth the Risk. :shock:

Rot condition update disc 1 side A sweet. Only wish side 2 was in better condition.

Dolby AC-3 even the analouge track is beefy loud in the low end. I can't help but noticing subtle Robocop sounds in chapter 19 on the Roger Young bridge. "5 meters from object 3 meters from object. Clear"!

"Star drive in ready steady go". :mrgreen:

Edit update in a few mins.

Side B started up no signs of rot yet. If it was free of rainbow colours it would be really damn good picture quality. :thumbup:

"He's a tip aim for nerve stem and put it down for good".

Producer Jon Davison cameo "The only good bug is dead bug".

Also released in Sony's SDDS 8 channel

Quote:
Technical Specs
Runtime: 129 min
Sound Mix: DTS | SDDS (8 channels) | Dolby Digital
Color: Color (Technicolor)
Aspect Ratio: 1.85 : 1
See full technical specs »

Audio commentary formatted to play on SELECT 8 AUX 2 from the Dolby CP500 from analouge 1/L ONLY film Dolby AC-3 on SELCET 1 AUX 1.

Basil Poledouris score most thrilling since Robcop (1987) at chapter 33, 10584 the drop ships landing the shaking and pounding rocking around.

"Someone made a big God damn, Mistake"! "BREAK FOR HIGHER ORBIT"!!

The score works very well with deep engine roar of Roger Young as she struggles to get of the mess.

The bendy lines on the image are being producing by the camera, adding in an artefact.

Chapter 35, where film-makers make us think?? No hint given as it would spoil the film.

The sound of Johnny Rico voice echo's out to sidewall surrounds or when used with Dolby EX surround on the Yamaha, thou I would prefer to have the second CP500 wired up and looped so I can run with centre back and matrix overhead surround as standard consumer EX only works on
Ls Cbs Rs.

Centre back surround is sent to the Re Le on the Sony so all 8 channel LED are lit up.

"TANKER"!!!!!!!

Disc 2 Side A playing and the rot status? Well its not all that bad a (few brief sparkles now and then) no AC-3 drop out or noise on the analouge track. I'd have to give my copy a 2% on the rot level.

Chapter 56, time 22.36/40 when a drop-ship flies in over right side wall array onto right briefly, then into centre front with nice timber balance from surrounds to fronts. Scene works fair in Dolby Stereo 424 matrix on both surrounds at the same time then onto fronts and centre as it can be heard slightly on the left and right faintly due to the matrix mix.

Quote:
Sound Department
Tony Araki .... sound recordist
Michael J. Benavente .... supervising dialogue editor
Dean Beville .... sound effects editor
Matthew C. Beville .... foley editor
Raul A. Bruce .... boom operator
Ed Callahan .... sound effects editor
Harry Cohen .... sound designer
Susan Dudeck .... supervising adr editor
Alison Fisher .... adr editor
Stephen Hunter Flick .... sound designer
Stephen Hunter Flick .... sound supervisor
Joseph Geisinger .... sound mixer
Nerses Gezalyan .... foley mixer
Jeff Gomillion .... adr mixer
Warren Hamilton Jr. .... sound effects editor
Allen Hartz .... adr editor
Gary A. Hecker .... foley artist (as Gary Hecker)
Greg Hedgepath .... sound effects editor (as Gregory Hedgepath)
Nicholas James .... supervising foley editor
Jeffrey Kaplan .... foley editor
Patricio A. Libenson .... sound effects editor (as Patricio Libenson)
Diane Linn .... adr recordist
Maciek Malish .... foley editor
Charles Maynes .... sound effects editor
Kevin O'Connell .... sound re-recording mixer
Jeena M. Phelps .... assistant dialogue editor
John Pospisil .... sound designer
Charleen Richards .... adr mixer
Greg P. Russell .... sound re-recording mixer
Dan Sharp .... sound recordist
Randy Thom .... sound designer
Ron Vignone .... assistant adr editor
Hugo Weng .... dialogue editor
Jeffrey Wilhoit .... foley artist
Jack Wolpa .... sound utility
Linda Yeaney .... assistant sound editor
David Lewis Yewdall .... sound effects editor (as David Lewis Yedall)
Peter Brown .... sound effects recordist (uncredited)
Richard Burton .... sound effects editor (uncredited)
Erik Flockoi .... sound transferer (uncredited)
Jeff Glueck .... sound engineer (uncredited)
William Jacobs .... sound effects editor (uncredited)
Mark Lanza .... sound effects editor (uncredited)
Andy Martin .... assistant sound designer (uncredited)
Tim Rakoczy .... sound intern (uncredited)
Ben Wilkins .... sound effects editor (uncredited)

STARSHIP TROOPERS gets
10 / 10 great sci-fi action fun.
Picture 9 / 10 the rot is low on disc 2 side A very low.
Sound 10 / 10 LOUDSHIP TROOPERS! :mrgreen:

Disc 2 side B extras no signs of rot.

Trailer at chapter 75, time 22.40/41 when the drop-ships detach I swear I can hear sound effect of the escape pod from STAR WARS mixed into rest of the sound effects. I can watch the trailer at least 10 times and the score music used in is bugging me?? I have the film I on DVD I think and I'm listening again the music is playing more than single 1sec sound effect that I noticed and its bugging me. :mrgreen:

The random scores edited into the trailer is bugging me as I have the film on DVD and I'm usual good at remembering film sound effects and scores but seems like I've been caught off guard tonight and its bugging me.

Oh!!!!! One is from Alien Resurrection (1997) near to the end of trailer.

Robert A. Heinlein creater of STARSHIP TROOPERS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Heinlein

Last edited by laserbite34 on 24 Dec 2012, 03:19, edited 16 times in total.

Page 31 of 32 [ 638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next