It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:00

Page 19 of 56 [ 1110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 00:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

total recall. (not the remake)

PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 00:31 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Les Misérables (2012) now playing in dtsHMDA 7.1 Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System. Nice airy LCR stage mix with occasional dialouge panning. The 4 zone surround with LCR muted on some of the musical scenes carries score all-around.

Picture looks clean clear and shape on the CRT when looking at it 8 feet away. The camera zoom in only picks up and adds in scan lines, The colour tone balance looks nice. Not a fan of W/S films a film of this size should have been filmed in scope. Still I'm starting to like it even thou its still playing at 29 mins at 00:31am

I can't be asked to play it on the video protector. Just listening the sound playback. Production quality of the performers being microphone up winder crowd shots is crystal clear.

Crowe and Jackman sound great singing. Its a sad story. 2:0:2 reaming.

Gladiator vs Wolverine which one will at the end of the film? :mrgreen:

I was a bit sensitivene to this scene that I didn't even find funny rather than :wtf: was that I just saw!? Chopping off a cats tail and tossing it into a meat mincer I didn't find it funny. It might be a film but what sick warped mind came up with this idea? I don't want know.

Its down to -1Hr. 35Min left which will pass fast now at 01:10am

Les Misérables Ice Cream early hours 01:30am and only 1Hr:05mins remaining now at 01:49am

The dynamics of rises higher and higher with clear range.

Roll the end credits.

PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 07:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I'm just wondering; Why would you watch a Blu-Ray of a modern film no less, on a old small CRT?

PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 09:59 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

alien wrote:
I'm just wondering; Why would you watch a Blu-Ray of a modern film no less, on a old small CRT?

Why not. Its used for Laserdisc a lot of the time.

PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 10:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

laserbite34 wrote:
alien wrote:

It would be perfect for Laserdisc and even good for DVD, but Blu-Ray is a format that excels and thrives on bigger displays like LCD/LED, Plasmas and projectors. I'm guessing that CRT is HD-ready and runs via component? Even so I'm sure it looks decent but bigger is better and CRT has limitations as far as screen size goes IMO.

PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 11:49 
Serious fan
Serious fan

AMAZING STORIES (1985) on Netflix. I was so stoked when I saw them on there.
I would totally watch these on LD if I had them. Seeing someone's post on the Facebook Laserdiscs Forever made me interested in them. They are rare on eBay, kinda pricey, but someone suggested I try Netflix...and bam! there they are.

PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 14:40 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

alien wrote:
laserbite34 wrote:
alien wrote:

It would be perfect for Laserdisc and even good for DVD, but Blu-Ray is a format that excels and thrives on bigger displays like LCD/LED, Plasmas and projectors. I'm guessing that CRT is HD-ready and runs via component? Even so I'm sure it looks decent but bigger is better and CRT has limitations as far as screen size goes IMO.

Well until I see a flat screen that can handle all formats without milked out colour and lagging image and has improved on all past issues with 50 or 60" size that sells for £200.00 then I would be interested.

PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 15:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tsak wrote:
AMAZING STORIES (1985) on Netflix. I was so stoked when I saw them on there.
I would totally watch these on LD if I had them. Seeing someone's post on the Facebook Laserdiscs Forever made me interested in them. They are rare on eBay, kinda pricey, but someone suggested I try Netflix...and bam! there they are.

Do they have season 2 again? When I had streaming a couple years ago, they had it but recently dropped it. I was going to buy the region 2 DVD set but it's a little pricey. That leaves the bootleg stuff for really cheap which I may have to just buy that.

PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 15:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

disclord wrote:
I'm currently watching the MCA DiscoVision releases of The World At War on my EAD TheaterVision.

Last night I watched the 3D Blu-ray of Jurassic Park (wonderful conversion!) and while its new 7.1 mix is good, I'm so thrilled it has the original theatrical 5.1 DTS mix which the standard Blu-ray and DVD do not. The 3D Blu-ray is the first time the original theatrical mix has been available since the DTS LaserDisc release. I thought the DTS LaserDisc was great sounding, but the lossless mix sounds much better and has less high end harshness that plagued the DTS mix both theatrically and the LD. Obviously the APT-X100 theatrical codec and the 1.2Mbps DTS Coherent Acoustics system bring out some kind of harshness that's not as audible in the original lossless mix - I'll have to listen to the DTS-MA Core soundtrack to see if the higher bitrate Coherent Acoustics sound has the harshness or not. The original 5.1 mix was done completely digitally and mastered to the DA-88 8mm videotape format - the DTS theatrical APT-X100 CD-ROM's were made from the DA-88 master tape - well, a clone of it - as was the DTS LaserDisc (which is why the .1LFE and surrounds are at the wrong levels on the LaserDisc.).

If you have a 3D BD player and 3D TV, get the 3D Jurassic Park because it looks and sounds incredible and finally has the original soundtrack.

I'll look for Jurrassic Park 3D, I've been waiting for it and haven't watched any 3D lately. I added Men In Black 3 but opted for the 2D version.

World at War, the Military Channel plays that all the time, I think I've seen all the parts to it. I imagine the quality is just as good on LD since that channel is just SD.

PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 17:41 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

alien wrote:

I got a 40" HD-ready CRT with an HDCP compliant DVI input 1080i resolution. Blu-rays look amazing on it.

So do Laserdiscs.

PostPosted: 25 May 2013, 01:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

laserbite34 wrote:
Well until I see a flat screen that can handle all formats without milked out colour and lagging image and has improved on all past issues with 50 or 60" size that sells for £200.00 then I would be interested.

When you say "without milked out colour and lagging image" are you basing your opinion on the flat screen displays you see presented in stores? Because those floor models are extremely misleading since they are set to some crappy vivid mode with those stupid motion enhancements filters on simply to try and catch the eye of misinformed buyers. A well calibrated LCD/LED, Plasma or projector can look amazing and they aren't limited in screen size.

PostPosted: 25 May 2013, 01:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

elahrairrah wrote:
alien wrote:

I got a 40" HD-ready CRT with an HDCP compliant DVI input 1080i resolution. Blu-rays look amazing on it.

So do Laserdiscs.

I'm sure it does and 40" is a decent size, but its still not going to look as great as a well calibrated bigger LCD/LED, Plasma or projector. Being 1080i instead of Full-HD 1080p would have an impact as well I would have thought. I'm not saying HD-ready CRTs are no good for Blu-Ray I'm just saying in the case of the format bigger is better as long as its a well calibrated quality unit.

PostPosted: 25 May 2013, 15:28 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

"TOTAL RECALL" (2012) Dolby TrueHD Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System. Rock'n sound fun.

Oh, goodie, options of choice to chose from. I'll go theatrical as I haven't yet watched/listened to this New verson.

TOTAL REFLARE

Gravity pressed on me!! Ohhhh that felt good.

TOTAL THREE T!TS :lol:

I'll think about it.

Getting plugged in and jacked up for a trip.

Hand phone with some type of transparency when placed on glass.

Ouch!

Visual effects was mind bending stuff. A hologram head

Vicious Kate, storms in with robots.

The sound mix was explosively deep that pounded me and the final showdown of the complex collapsing felt like an earthquake.

Cool use of directional sound effects panning from stage channels to surrounds and vice versa. A small bit of voice panning made it an enjoyable mornings viewing.

Still TOTAL RECALL (1990) is still unbeatable. The remake not bad, director Len Wiseman "Underworld" handled it well.

PostPosted: 25 May 2013, 22:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

i agree, me and my mom are very disappointed that someone would make a lame reboot. arnold's version is STILL the best.

PostPosted: 25 May 2013, 23:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elieb wrote:
i agree, me and my mom are very disappointed that someone would make a lame reboot. arnold's version is STILL the best.

Ummm, you didn't exactly agree with him. As for being disappointed, who cares if they remake films? Especially something like Total Recall - while I've always liked the movie, its certainly not great 'art' and there's nothing sacred about a film that would prevent someone else remaking it from their own perspective, much like theater changes when hits travel the country or small local groups perform a hit play. Besides, it's not like Hollywood hasn't been doing remakes since the 1920's.

PostPosted: 26 May 2013, 06:52 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Watched Despicable Me on bluray, good movie. Then I watched Episode 3 of War and Remembrance on DVD --- it's 12 hours long. IMO, The Winds of War and the later War and Remembrance are 2 of the best of the old mini-series, back when networks did mini-series. I've seen several over the last few years, they are a favorite pet project of mine, finding these old 70's and 80's mini-series. Shogun, The Blue and the Gray, North and South, Centennial, Once an Eagle, Cheyenne, The Winds of War, Roots, Lonesome Dove, these are some of my favorites. It's fun to see a lot of the actors you've seen through all of the years. I also like to see old cars when they were new, the architecture of the building, the quality of the original film, I know I'm not really seeing that but it is the source. Anybody else like these old mini-series?

PostPosted: 27 May 2013, 08:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good morning from the UK guys,

Last night I watched the my latest LD purchase, of which was the Japanese version of BEAUTY & THE BEAST.
It was perfect without any disc rot, great Dolby stereo Surround, and I am glad this is the case.

I shall look forward to my next purchase, hopefully this will be some titles currently reserved in Japan.

I shall hopefully receive my pay increase and two bank holidays double pay rate days in my next pay packet on the 10th of June.
I shall pay the seller in Japan another deposit, and this will pay for the Japanese Star Wars Definitive & the Indianer Jones box sets.

I finally look forward to purchasing these, as this has taken a while.......

Regards

:wave: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 27 May 2013, 21:02 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Last night I watched Terminator, The (1984) [ID8316HD]. Its not a terrible LD, but its not reference grade by any means. Its made from a theatrical print that sometimes shows some damage. The video is noisy, the film is grainy, there are real change marks, and evidently this movie was...mono? Man, James Cameron used to be poor! The film itself is decent but not great. Its a lot better than other mid-budget 80s post apocalyptic stuff though, I'll say that. I watched this mainly to prepare me for a recently acquired copy of Terminator 2: Judgment Day: Special Edition (1991) (Uncut) [PSE82997-6WS] that I got for $5. I'll probably watch that tonight.

The night before I watched Lost World, The: Jurassic Park (1997) [43310]. This is the opposite situation. The transfer is pretty good, the sound is incredible, the film itself is a huge waste. Its...boring. Really boring. How can a movie about dinosaurs be boring? I don't know, but they sure did it. Direction and/or editing is at times terrible. There is less dialogue than a Godzilla movie which means the characters never get interesting. Also, a lot of the special dino hunting equipment they use is absolutely ridiculous. The jeeps where the motorized seats move outboard...what? That is DUMB.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 27 May 2013, 21:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

well, 2 of my new movies came in:total recall and beauty and the beast.

PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 01:11 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

alien wrote:
elahrairrah wrote:
alien wrote:

So do Laserdiscs.

I'm sure it does and 40" is a decent size, but its still not going to look as great as a well calibrated bigger LCD/LED, Plasma or projector. Being 1080i instead of Full-HD 1080p would have an impact as well I would have thought. I'm not saying HD-ready CRTs are no good for Blu-Ray I'm just saying in the case of the format bigger is better as long as its a well calibrated quality unit.

You realize that a "well calibrated" CRT is more accurate than any LCD made, right?

I ran BRs in SD for years. They look just fine. In SD the MPEG artifacts on DVDs are obvious, but never on BR. Even in SD BR is a significant upgrade.

And seriously, with the enormous size of some of these new TVs the individual pixels are just as huge as things were in the SD days. 1080p is decent resolution, but at 72" friggn inches or whatever you've got a bigger pixel than the ones on my 720p 34" CRT.

I love CRTs. LCDs are just too cooked and extreme and insane, which is great for Iron Man or whatever but some stuff just "pops" way way too much. I mean, look at your TV, then look around your house, out the window, down the street...notice how not a single thing in real life looks like that? I don't want my Jim Jarmush movies to look like Lucky Charms ads.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 19 of 56 [ 1110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 56  Next