It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:23

Page 17 of 56 [ 1110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2013, 02:46 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

laserbite34 wrote:
First human dialouge pan is when Heywood Floyd, arrives on the space station and the woman's voice is panned to stage left with half centre sound to it.

Aries-1B stewardess: "Here you are, sir, main level please".

On the later DVD edition to bluray and no doubt HD-DVD the voice will only be heard in the centre only.

There are lots of hard to half pans on the original mix. :)

Check with In-70mm you never know when a near by cinema with 70mm might show 2001?
http://www.in70mm.com/now_showing/

Watched the HD DVD of 2001, listened for that left pan, confirmed it's center channel as well here on HD DVD. I checked on the Criterion LD and it's in stereo when she speaks, both left/right channels which I thought would just be left channel since it was sourced from original 70 mm. I guess you need the original 70 mm tracks to get the left center/left channel effect then, which is probably nowhere to be seen now. I'm going to assume that all home video versions aren't going to have the dialog panning. Aren't all 70 mm showings now or since the mid 90's with DTS? So you probably can't even get it in a 70mm showing anymore. It's probably lost forever then like the lost frame from the 70mm version. (Lost frame referring to the "apparently" intentional frame skip when Bowman drops the glass, which was removed for the 35mm prints because they thought it was a tech. error.)

Also watched 2010 on Blu ray (I wish this one was on HD DVD as well), I've never seen in theater, but the TrueHD track appeared pretty solid. I have the AC3 LD and original DVD. The Blu ray isn't perfect, but it's a nice step up from the DVD, still there's lots of room for improvement. And I bought the triple pack with Red Planet and Contact so much cheaper, would have been nice if they'd spent a little more time on it. Hopefully we'll get a new, fully restored transfer from the 70 mm prints of 2001 and 2010. As for the dialog panning, I'm not sure that will happen as long as 5.1/7.1 remain the home theater norm. Delivering the main dialog to the center channel is pretty consistent these days. What I would like to see is a receiver or app for your computer that could decode and map the channels you want into different configurations depending on your home theater setup. This would include 70 mm setup, SDDS, etc.

I've noticed, even when vocals come from off screen, right or left or even from behind the camera, most movies leave the dialog in the center channel, now and then there are movies that take advantage of the separate channels or if there's background vocals, they'll come thru in different channels, just depends on movie, I guess.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2013, 18:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Red Planet (2000) on Blu ray, this is such an underrated movie. It bombed but I think this one holds up well for a Sci Fi Mars flick. Just missed Laserdisc, too bad, I'm sure the cover would have been really cool. Blu ray xsfer on this one is pretty good, hardly any special features, just trailer.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2013, 18:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

in the line of fire, pretty good.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2013, 01:08 
True fan
True fan

A Man Vanishes (Blu) - Fascinating.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2013, 02:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

tomtastic wrote:
Red Planet (2000) on Blu ray, this is such an underrated movie. It bombed but I think this one holds up well for a Sci Fi Mars flick. Just missed Laserdisc, too bad, I'm sure the cover would have been really cool. Blu ray xsfer on this one is pretty good, hardly any special features, just trailer.

I'm guessing in 2000 and 2001 movies pressed on Laserdisc were very selective? Because Red Planet being made in 2000 was at the time when Laserdiscs were still being made..

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2013, 02:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, 1999 was about it for most stuff.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 01 May 2013, 04:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Just watched MIB 3, not bad, they finally redeemed this series after the uneventful MIB II.

PostPosted: 01 May 2013, 05:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Just got this late promo pressing in from eBay next to my original DVD copy :mrgreen: :

PostPosted: 01 May 2013, 06:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

tomtastic wrote:
Just watched MIB 3, not bad, they finally redeemed this series after the uneventful MIB II.

I went to see MIB II in the theaters in 2002 and felt disipointed by it, saw it a few times a couple of years later on DVD and felt the same way and just recently re-watched it on Blu-Ray (after having re-watched my Laserdisc of the orignal Men in Black) and once more nothing has changed. Its a good audio showpiece for my new modest 5.1 surround sound system, but the script feels so rushed. I did like the extra screen time of Frank the Pug he was way under used in the orignal although very memorable.

How much screen time does Tommy Lee Jones get in MIB3? I've heard its substantially less then it is in the first 2 since part of the plot involves time travel of his younger self..

PostPosted: 01 May 2013, 06:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

tomtastic wrote:
Just got this late promo pressing in from eBay next to my original DVD copy :mrgreen: :

Wow, that DVD cover looks so cheap and old, gives the film a bad look. The Laserdisc cover makes the film look grand and epic, very eye catching!

How do the 2 compare in picture and sound quality?

EDIT: Wait hang on, you said this just missed the boat of LD. This is fan made isn't it... :oops:

PostPosted: 01 May 2013, 08:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yeah, just to give you the thought of what could have been...

I will say that the cases are a little better on BD/HD DVD compared to DVD, still they will just never compare to LD. --That being that there's less cheap, recycled plastic in the Blu ray cases to that of the larger DVD cases. I have this urge to manufacture a LD case for a Blu ray, trying to figure out what materials to use.

PostPosted: 01 May 2013, 08:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

alien wrote:

How much screen time does Tommy Lee Jones get in MIB3? I've heard its substantially less then it is in the first 2 since part of the plot involves time travel of his younger self..

Much, much less screen time. He basically bookends in MIB 3, with Josh Brolin in between although with Tommy Lee Jones overdubbed voice, which was done surprisingly well. You really don't notice it that much. Compared to say Space Cowboys, which also featured a Tommy Lee Jones voice dub onto a younger actor, it didn't meld as well in that film, but at least it was a short part.

PostPosted: 01 May 2013, 18:09 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

watched Sol Bianca (1991) [CAVS/001]

better than the VHS i have.

PostPosted: 02 May 2013, 03:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Tequila Sunrise (1988) [11821

Only in 1.33 on LD, later '91 reissue, had a few white speckles on Side 2, didn't last long. Overall, a very dry movie, could have used more action and less drama.

PostPosted: 02 May 2013, 22:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Deep Rising (1998) [13551 AS]

"Now what?"

Watched this terrific movie...again, this time on LD. It's not a great looking movie on any format, still I just love this movie. I saw this one in theater, just a fun ride. Disc played perfect, no problems with an ex-rental copy.

I've left the movie rental stickers in place, I don't know, I sort of like them, kind of gives me the feeling I'm back in the 90's.
Plenty of eye candy:
Treat Williams was a good choice for this flick, I didn't know who he was when viewed back in '98.
Famke is just stunning in this movie, even better than Goldeneye.
Poster shot:

PQ isn't spectacular, most of the movie is very murky and muddy scenes, still it's not that bad. There was a very low rumble that shook my entire house early in, then I realized it was actually the thunderstorm outside, oh well, it was a good movie to watch while it was raining. The lightning and thunder outside went pretty good with Deep Rising's storm effects. I couldn't tell if it was outside or in. The AC3 is pumped full of explosions, monster gurgling sounds, screams, it's just fantastic.

PostPosted: 04 May 2013, 19:48 
True fan
True fan

Whoa, how are you guys making those awesome DTS LD covers? They look stunning!

PostPosted: 05 May 2013, 20:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

sdraper wrote:
Whoa, how are you guys making those awesome DTS LD covers? They look stunning!

Making? Cough, cough...You mean buying? :shifty:

PostPosted: 06 May 2013, 19:07 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I will be watching the Criterion editions of High Noon and Citizen Kane, along with The Searchers and the Star Wars trilogy if my LD player ever arrives. The seller didn't ship when he said he would, and he clearly used the slowest option possible...the LD's I got today were bought and shipped after the player. And they came from Illinois, whereas the player is only from California.

PostPosted: 06 May 2013, 19:45 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I watched the LD of Branded with Alan Ladd a few nights ago. Picture quality was solid! And CC/SDH (me).

PostPosted: 06 May 2013, 21:58 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

thewhitefalcon wrote:
I will be watching the Criterion editions of High Noon and Citizen Kane, along with The Searchers and the Star Wars trilogy if my LD player ever arrives. The seller didn't ship when he said he would, and he clearly used the slowest option possible...the LD's I got today were bought and shipped after the player. And they came from Illinois, whereas the player is only from California.

what player are you getting?

Page 17 of 56 [ 1110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 56  Next