It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:50

Page 21 of 56 [ 1110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2013, 23:01 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

So I finally got around to getting the old analog audio only CAV P&S Sleeping Beauty: http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/31355/476-CS/Sleeping-Beauty-(1959)

Actually looks pretty sharp and colorful for being an older release, despite the hack and slash job on the picture (OAR is 2.55:1!)

Haven't gotten around comparing to the colors on that one to the newer releases yet. Will do soon.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2013, 06:25 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Watched Chronicle (2012) tonight, I recommend this movie!

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 19:44 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

OUTLAND (1981) now playing in (SELECT 6) 6-track Dolby Stereo Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System.

Quote:
IMDB quote
"Sound Mix: Dolby (MegaSound encoding) (35 mm prints)| 70 mm 6-Track (MegaSound encoding) (70 mm prints)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megasound

Looks like one of the Con-AM27 workers picked the wrong week to quit injecting PDE.

I later found out you don't explode in space otherwise space would be sticky and messy place. :mrgreen:

That is how they should credit mixers who does what in DME.

That is a cool DOLBY STEREO credit

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 20:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Star Trek VIII: First Contact (1996) [LV332433-WS]

pretty good.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 20:57 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

laserbite34 wrote:
OUTLAND (1981) now playing in (SELECT 6) 6-track Dolby Stereo Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System.

Quote:
IMDB quote
"Sound Mix: Dolby (MegaSound encoding) (35 mm prints)| 70 mm 6-Track (MegaSound encoding) (70 mm prints)"

Laserbite - good choice. The best A L I E N production design knock-off out there and a good film to boot from Peter Hyams. Not sure if you want to credit Clyde McKinney too much - he probably said "No directional dialogue!"

What's the bass like? Very impressive on the blu-ray by all accounts and along with the other WB blu that came out the same time, Altered States, a few people think they've been sourced from Megasound prints. Megasound prints had dedicated subwoofer info mixed in but was predominantly hardware (amp, processor and speakers) based so you need the kit to approximate the experience but it would be nice to think Warners made a bit of effort. Now bring on a 'Megasound sourced' Wolfen..!

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2013, 22:53 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

tim_p wrote:
laserbite34 wrote:

Quote:
IMDB quote

Laserbite - good choice. The best A L I E N production design knock-off out there and a good film to boot from Peter Hyams. Not sure if you want to credit Clyde McKinney too much - he probably said "No directional dialogue!"

What's the bass like? Very impressive on the blu-ray by all accounts and along with the other WB blu that came out the same time, Altered States, a few people think they've been sourced from Megasound prints. Megasound prints had dedicated subwoofer info mixed in but was predominantly hardware (amp, processor and speakers) based so you need the kit to approximate the experience but it would be nice to think Warners made a bit of effort. Now bring on a 'Megasound sourced' Wolfen..!

Yeah I can see some of the design in one of the office sets that has same shape design with central set piece located in the middle attached to the ceiling with TV monitors fitted around it. Chapter 8.

Peter Hyams, films seem to have the dialouge centred.

Reading what Megasond could achieve with similar to Sensurround. The LFE.1 doesn't go below what it records here on Spectrum Lab, monitored from the THX TS SW AMP output.

Start of chapter 2 at 1m.44s to 2m.41s

I might, might buy the bluray.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 07:06 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

INNERSPACE (1987) 70mm 6-track Dolby Stereo Digital, THX.

The opening starts off with cool Jerry Goldsmith score with twinkley high end notes on all channels at different times then moves down the spectrum to the low that presses on my body.

The drink being poured into glass full of ice cubes starts from behind that had me looking all around then pans across to front and into the centre with nice smoothness.

Switches are turned ON discretely to stage left/right

Than switched ON at centre stage with light turning ON at the back of the pod.

The miniaturization scene WOW nice supportable low end across all channels that rumbled deeply enough then as the pod starts to shrink with kaboom slam and air pressure that pushes objects around the room. Well not sire if I can recreate that in my room with objects flying around would take an enormous amount of sound pressure at given frequency.

Robert Picardo gives some funny some humour when in disguise as the Jack Putter.

Dog being served at a table. :lol:

:lol: "God in heaven deliver us from Satan"

"Well use use your credit card, victor. Don't all big men have credit cards"? :lol:

"Cowboy, listen to me. We need those chips. And we need them now, more than ever".

A false perspective illusion. I have the Cinefex that explains how the shot was done really cool stuff for its time and winner of the 1987 Oscar for visual effects.

:lol: stuffed inside a suit case in the back the boot.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 23:06 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I am watching flesh gordon as I writing. A mayhem in nudity and comedy =) its the japanese edition, which according to lddb.com has 10 min longer then the usa edition.

Flesh Gordon (1974) [SWLD-3004]

Flesh Gordon (1974) [ID7575ME]

I have to buy the usa edition also so I can see a version without the censorship.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2013, 01:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I just recorded Innerspace awhile back off directv thru the HD PVR. It was in HD and looked ok, might be a tad clearer than the DVD. Robert Picardo scene is the best.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2013, 02:30 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

tomtastic wrote:
I just recorded Innerspace awhile back off directv thru the HD PVR. It was in HD and looked ok, might be a tad clearer than the DVD. Robert Picardo scene is the best.

"He has the chips on him".

"Good, good close the lid".

"I can't breath in here".

"Shut up, Margaret".

They should have had a squeal as it had that kinder of ending but I guess we can all speculate what might have happened?

So any pictures to show me. :)

When a normal person looks at them they'll think there just your normal midget.

"We where all of us miniaturized"!

"Yeah sure you was pal".

Don't forget the rest of the team that was stuck in that machine. :lol: Was once average 5 foot over now only 30" tall. From looking at the scene where they come running out next to a car. "Where's my subzero"?

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2013, 03:51 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Watched Star Trek TMP on LD. The picture quality was very good, just a speckle of rot here and there. This was a new/sealed copy in my ST Boxed Set I bought a few years ago. One good thing about watching it --- I'm not going to bother getting the bluray. Definitely the weakest of all the ST movies.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2013, 04:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

i was watching war games, ally sheedy was hot.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2013, 06:21 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

"THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER" (1990) now playing in Dolby Stereo Digital / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System.

Submarines = lots of rumbling sub bass!!

The film is a almost a classic some 23 years later! I ran this a few times when with UCI it was presented in Dolby Stereo SR, interlocked I think between two largest screens 5 and 6? And ran for weeks and weeks. One time the other team projectionist forgot to switch W/S lens over to scope so for best part until I noticed it some 35 mins or so everyone was watching in screen 5 with stretched look. :lol: And no one complained. That just shows how many don't know the difference between W/S and SCOPE. The masking was set to SCOPE So a quick flip of the lens and the aperture plate pulled out for SCOPE ratio. But was it checked for SR. Yes it was in SR.

Language and angle settings can be set so that the text reads in different language.

Visible EE

Sonar spectrum reading shows another submarine in the neighbourhood.

Russian language soon translates over to English which was nice touch to the film.

"Where I am going, you cannot follow".

Cool ping sound on stage right as elevator door closes.

Cool stage left some human dialouge panned onto stage right with foot steps centred and other airy sound of the hallway.

Kaboom on the Basil Poledouris, score as the other submarine that is now on The Hunt For Red October.

The inside of the sub rumbles.

WOW that was deep with the propeller slamming in some deep low end!

The aircraft engines rumble that sounds a bit off putting for a few seconds as it would be loud in real life.

The mini sub un-docks after the skirt is pressurized and the sub can lift off the other submarine had a cool sound effect that almost had me looking below!

The whole seat vibrates on the armrests and in the seat bucket, mildly on the seat back due to the frequency and level.

WATCH OUT!!!! :mrgreen: The subs not even fully paid off yet!

Looks like I quit the wrong week to hunting submarines. :mrgreen:

In-coming!!!!!!!!!

So that's what you see for a few frames.

Smile for the camera.

Flash. Kaboom!!!!

Implosion!!

More sub bass kaboom!!!!!

They don't know but they think their captain as gone down with his ship?

LMAO lost another submarine.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2013, 16:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Here is what I've been watching over the past few months (blu-ray's bolded):

Heavenly Creatures (1994) [4371 AS]- One of Peter Jackson's earlier films. Didn't really like it to much but worth a view.

Life of Pi- Great film. Highly recommended.

Drive- One of my favorites. Check it out if you haven't seen it yet.

Witness (1985) [LV1736-WS]- Harrison Ford classic.

The Hobbit- Not as good as Lord of the Rings but still very good.

Django Unchained- Excellent Tarentino movie. Definitely worth a view.

Bachelor Party (1984) [1440-80]- Tom Hanks when he was still making comedies. Quite funny.

Thor- good action movie. Great sound.

The Impossible- Definitely worth a watch. A good "based on a true story" movie.

Turner & Hooch (1989) [911 AS]- Another Tom Hanks comedy. Not so great.

Samsara- One of my favorite documentaries. Some of the best video quality available on blu-ray.

Rise of the Guardians- Ok kids movie.

Silver Linings Playbook- Ok movie. Worth a rental but not a buy.

The Avengers- Fun blockbuster extravaganza.

Conan the Destroyer (1984) [40079]- Classic Arnold, definitely worth it!

Broken City- Ok movie. Not great. Worth a rental.

Red Sonja (1985) [4733-80]- Absolutely terrible movie.

Immortals- Fun action and adventure. Much like 300.

Jack Reacher- An "ok" Tom Cruise movie. Pretty much a rental.

Logan's Run (1976) [ML100082]- Classic 70's sci-fi. Definitely worth a view if you haven't seen it before.

This is 40- Ok at best. I was expecting something funnier.

Anna Karenina- I really hated this. I didn't like the way they tried to put the entire movie in one room. It just didn't fit the period piece well. Thumbs down.

Clue (1985) [LV 1840]- One of my fiancee's favorite. Great family movie.

Ice Age: Continental Drift- "ok" at best. I think they are running out of ideas and just milking the franchise at this point.

The Last Stand- Arnold is back,... but just barely. Pretty mediocre.

Twins (1988) [40873]- This one Arnold is at his best, and some real acting by Danny Devitoe. Highly recommend.

Gangster Squad- Basically the "untouchables" with a new cast. Wasn't so great in my opinion.

The Numbers Station- It was ok. A lot of suspense. Worth a rental but not a buy.

Blade Runner (Final Cut)- One of the best blu-ray's ever released. This is how a re-release should be done. If you don't own it, get it!

Warm Bodies- A great twist on the zombie movie. It's really a loves story. Definitely worth a watch.

Cloud Atlas- Interesting movie. I don't know why so many reviews said it was confusing. Even though there are a lot of flashbacks and forwards, it's releativly ease to follow. Check it out.

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters- I thought it was ok, my fiancee liked it. Typical action adventure movie.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2013, 23:06 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

elieb wrote:

I just bought a copy of that. Which one do you have ? I have the widescreen version on LD.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2013, 23:07 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

laserbite34 wrote:
"THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER" (1990) now playing in Dolby Stereo Digital / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System.

Submarines = lots of rumbling sub bass!!

The film is a almost a classic some 23 years later! I ran this a few times when with UCI it was presented in Dolby Stereo SR, interlocked I think between two largest screens 5 and 6? And ran for weeks and weeks. One time the other team projectionist forgot to switch W/S lens over to scope so for best part until I noticed it some 35 mins or so everyone was watching in screen 5 with stretched look. :lol: And no one complained. That just shows how many don't know the difference between W/S and SCOPE. The masking was set to SCOPE So a quick flip of the lens and the aperture plate pulled out for SCOPE ratio. But was it checked for SR. Yes it was in SR.

Language and angle settings can be set so that the text reads in different language.

Visible EE

Sonar spectrum reading shows another submarine in the neighbourhood.

Russian language soon translates over to English which was nice touch to the film.

"Where I am going, you cannot follow".

Cool ping sound on stage right as elevator door closes.

Cool stage left some human dialouge panned onto stage right with foot steps centred and other airy sound of the hallway.

Kaboom on the Basil Poledouris, score as the other submarine that is now on The Hunt For Red October.

The inside of the sub rumbles.

WOW that was deep with the propeller slamming in some deep low end!

The aircraft engines rumble that sounds a bit off putting for a few seconds as it would be loud in real life.

The mini sub un-docks after the skirt is pressurized and the sub can lift off the other submarine had a cool sound effect that almost had me looking below!

The whole seat vibrates on the armrests and in the seat bucket, mildly on the seat back due to the frequency and level.

WATCH OUT!!!! :mrgreen: The subs not even fully paid off yet!

Looks like I quit the wrong week to hunting submarines. :mrgreen:

In-coming!!!!!!!!!

So that's what you see for a few frames.

Smile for the camera.

Flash. Kaboom!!!!

Implosion!!

More sub bass kaboom!!!!!

They don't know but they think their captain as gone down with his ship?

LMAO lost another submarine.

Awesome movie.....have that myself...

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2013, 00:37 
Serious fan
Serious fan

elieb wrote:

She was hot, back in the day.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2013, 17:31 
True fan
True fan

Red October is a great one and a fantastic LD, the PCM track is a demo track for me with Dolby Stereo.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2013, 00:34 
Serious fan
Serious fan

John Carpenter's They Live on DVD. First time I've seen it is today. Don't know how this one slipped by me over the years but I was impressed, it was a really good movie.

Post subject: Vertical Limit (2000) R2 DVD Dolby Digital EX Lucasfilm THX
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2013, 14:32 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Chapter 18 is tense chapter but so are many more but not when you have Nitroglycerin in a backpack that slips out.

Spectrum Lab shows a beasty mean low end support covered by all channels in the film mix. LCR being monitored though the TS output on MIX mode.

Hanging only by a ice axe on the ledge of cliff not a good place to be hanging out when some leathal nitroglycerin that is about to slip out of back-pack.

Nitroglycerin takes a fall.

The ice axe slips though the ice. I like the way James newton Howard, kicks in the score with drums horns, strings and other instruments it tenses up the short 76m 09s to 76m 26s KABOOM! At 76:16s the sound of ice pick scraping/slipping though the ice on rear back has me looking over my shoulder (while keeping one eye on the screen action). I'm going to make this scene into my new alarm clock in the morning. :lol:

I'm not all keen on heights myself and even this shot is making me feel dizzy.

Whoa!!! :shock:

Brace yourself an explosion! Grip on! Hang on tight!!

The other rescue team turn around to the direction from where the explosion!

Everything rumbles all-around as large chunks of ice fall in all-around the ice cave.

Nice dialouge pan from stage left to centre nice and smooth JBL control 12SR.

"Nag, nag they always bloody nag".

(Oh no that :? sound doesn't sound good) as deep low end rumble is heard in the distance.

Avalanche approaching from behind!

That is beast of violent nature! :shock:

Last edited by laserbite34 on 03 Jul 2013, 14:48, edited 4 times in total.

Page 21 of 56 [ 1110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 56  Next