It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 06:42

Page 5 of 6 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2015, 17:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I finally came around watching Alien ressurection (dts)

owned the dts discs for years but never watched it.
I remembered the picure having some kind of "tint" to it.

This dts edition has the same look to it.
It's not a masterpiece moviewise IMHO but enjoyable popcorn entertainment :thumbup:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2015, 21:30 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
Dolby Stereo TrueHD 7.1 (atmos) / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional x73 speakers.

Roaring furious sub bass 2 hours with this new post apocalyptic from creator/director George Miller, who brought the audience the drifter "Max Rockatansky" played this time around by (Tom Hardy) a loaner who prowls the desolate wastelands among brutal clans who would fight kill for oil and water.
(Charlize Theron) Imperator Furiosa transporting fuel with female prisoners looking for "the green place".

Dolby TrueHD dialog normalization +4db

Picture scope 2.39:1 is crisp shape and clear that often has warm tones of colour and few natural ones at times. at times seems the film framing is over cranked speeded-up for zany look of whole insanity of it.

Chapter 6 is my demo scene for the short few minutes the score sounds exciting when kicking off from (Junkie XL) "Brothers in Arms" sound effects blitz all around centre stage dialouge along with sound effects and parts of score all working nicely together with LR and 4 zone surrounds, no struggling to hear what is going on. The loudness is loud but not ridiculously loud like some past films I have heard over last few years. Played and listened to chapter 6 for over 2 hours with just the 4 zone surrounds and occasionally the LCR on there own with surrounds muted.

Low end digs in deep when the truck pushes sand around LCR front of no presence of it on the surrounds that is reserved for most of the score and some sound effects.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2015, 22:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Watched ''TOMORROWLAND'' Blu-Ray George Clooney playing the lead role Friday 09th October and found the movie to be very cleverly made, although I could have watched another hour.

I feel that not enough character building and unfolding story line with more inner detail would have been welcome.

The movies premise is about this world and those at the top who seek to suppress mankinds thinking, and to keep the masses down.
And those in power hide the advanced technologies from the masses, and dumb them down with many forms of media, and lack of individual education that has been deliberately diluted with collapse of society being the outcome.

This actually being played out in our world society........... If only people knew how much.

Suffice to say I enjoy this effort although a little short.

Kind Regards

:thumbup: :wave:

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2015, 09:15 
True fan
True fan

After watching the blood- and soulless fifth episode of Fear the walking dead I decided to go oldschool and watch a Laserdisc, since quite a long time...Honestly, I thought the picture would be horrible but oh, as always in this case, i was so wrong. I watched Evil Dead, The: Special Collector's Edition (1981) [EE7264] and it was glorious, I found the picture to be great and it reminded me, how I loved this disc when it came out (picture and soundquality wise), the movie itself, it´s one of the best ever done in the genre and it s always fun to watch it.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2015, 01:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Bold listings are Blu-ray. Otherwise laserdisc.

Mortdecai - Hmmm,.. so so. I guess it's worth a rental.

Man with the Golden Gun, The (1974) [ML101419] - With the passing of Christopher Lee we figured we watch this classic.

Dragonslayer (1981) [LV 1367-WS] - If you are into cheezy 80's fantasy films then it's recommended.

Taken 3 - Ok but, but each one has been worse then the one before. This is no exception.

Hot Tub Time Machine 2 - Absolutely terrible. Would not recommend.

Fabulous Baker Boys, The (1989) [ID7353IV] - Great film. Highly recommended.

Rich Hill - If you like documentaries about social issues, you will like this. Recommended.

Slap Shot (1977) [16004] - Hilarious Paul Newman film from the 70's. Highly recommended.

2010: The Year We Make Contact (1984) [ML101661] - Follow up to the classic 2001. Certainly not as good as 2001, but still a pretty good movie. If you like scifi, you should check it out.

Circuit Breaker (1996) [ID3920NH] - Terrible made for TV scifi movie that looks like it was made in the early 70's with a cheap budget. Skip unless you like terrible scifi.

Living Daylights, The (1987) [5277-80] - Classic bond. Definitely worth a watch.

Licence to Kill (1989) [4755-80] - Continuing the series. I would have liked some more movies with Dalton to see if he could get in the groove of things. Oh well.

Black Sea - Ok suspense movie but I found a lot of the drama really unrealistic and pushed. Worth a rental but not a buy, IMHO.

Moonraker (1979) [ML101710] - Despite what everybody else says Roger Moore was my favorite.

Jupiter Ascending - Big on special effects, low on story. Visually it's an interesting movie but better to avoid the story.

Super 8 - Very enterataining movie. Highly recommend.

The Giver - Jeff Bridges is pretty much the only redeeming quality of this movie.

Black or White - Very good movie with Kevin Costner. Recommend a watch.

Silverado (1985) [10426] - I had never seen this old movie. Some very big names and good acting. Highly recommend a watch.

American Sniper - Good movie. Recommended.

Married To The Mob (1988) [ID6287OR] - Pretty horrendous. Skip this one.

Masters of the Universe (1987) [37073] - Ultimate 80's cheeziness. Love it!

Blackhat - Not bad suspense hacker movie.

Seventh Son - Another Jeff Bridges movie. I have to admit it wasn't great but I enjoy fantasy films so if you do as well, I would recommend a watch.

Timbuktu - Subtitled. I didn't find it to be that great but I'm sure it won some awards.

Chappie - Was expecting a little more after District 9, but still an entertaining watch.

Top Gun (1986) [LV 1692-WS] - I feel a need, a need for speed.

While We're Young - Mediocre at best. Not recommended.

The Wrecking Crew - Great documentary about the musicians that you heard on some of the biggest release of the 60's and 70's.

The Gambler - Mediocre movie with Mark Wahlberg.

Dark Age (1987) [902186] - Apparently Quentin Tarantino is a big fan of this movie. It's a pretty cheezy Australian movie about a giant killer crocodile.

Kingsman: The Secret Service - Really liked this one. I thought it was a good mix of action and humor. Definitely recommend a watch.

Fifty Shades of Grey - Not sure what all the fuss was about. Seemed like a boring softcore p0rn movie to me.

McFarland, USA - Pretty good Kevin Costner pick. A Disney "feel good" film.

Excalibur (1981) [22018 A/B] - Quite a unique and memorable movie from the early 80's. I would recommend a watch.

Money Pit, The (1986) [40387] - Classic comedy with Tom Hanks. Highly recommended.

Focus - Ok Will Smith con artist movie.

Rocky IV (1985) [ML102084] - Classic 80's film. Definitely recommend a watch.

Run All Night - So so action movie. Liam Neeson seems to have shifted in doing tons of these action movies of late.

Blue Thunder (1983) [79336] - 80's movie about high tech helicopter used to fight crime.

Get Hard - Rather cheezy Wil Ferral movie. This guys makes the same movie over and over again...

F/X (1986) [ID2942OR] - 80's flick about special F/X guy hired by the police, of course it all goes wrong.

FX2: The Deadly Art of Illusion (1991) [ID8394OR] - More of the same.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Very good scifi movie. If you haven't seen it yet, go check it out. Great soundtrack as well.

A Most Wanted Man - I think this was the last film with Philip Seymour Hoffman before his death. It's ok.

Deal of the Century (1983) [11339] - Early 80's comedy with Chevy Chase, Sigourney Weaver, and Gregory Hines.

Mortal Kombat: Special Edition (1995) [ID3021LI] - Super cheezy 90's video game movie.

Stand Up Guys - Entertaining crime comedy with some big name actors.

Avengers: Age of Ultron - Good action film but not as good as the previous Avengers movie.

Her Alibi (1989) [11835] - Fun 80's romantic comedy.

Going Clear - Entertaining documentary about the whacky world of scientology.

Ex Machina - Cool independent film about AI.

Highlander: 10th Anniversary (1986) (Uncut) [LV25895] - Classic 80's action flick with a great soundtrack by Queen.

Quest, The (1996) [42901] - Quintessential Van Damme action movie. Pretty terrible.

Mad Max: Fury Road - I really liked this re-imagining of the original. Read this hilarious review: http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=mad_max_hell_yeah

Furious 7 - Entertaining but also somewhat sad to watch due to Paul Walker's death. Still recommended, especially if you are a fan of the series.

Back to the Future Part II (1989) [40965]

Cinderella - Nice Disney family movie. Recommended.

Maggie - It was interesting to see Schwarzenegger in this kind of role. Worth a watch.

Last Knights - So so action flick with Morgan Freeman and Clive Owen.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2015, 22:09 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Spinning APOLLO 13 (1995) THX laserdisc
dts / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional x73 speakers.

Ed Harris, thumbs up approves of this THX dts Laserdisc. :mrgreen: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2015, 23:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Watched this title tonight: Friday the 13th (1980) (Uncut) [NJEL-11172] Everyone were talking about watching scary movies tonight, so joined in on the fad with this horror classic.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2015, 19:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Finally came around watching Shindler's list dts laserdisc.
Soundtrack is very crisp :thumbup:
Not much happening in the surround channels worth mentioning but a very enjoyable epic story :thumbup:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015, 08:25 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

laserbite34 wrote:
Spinning APOLLO 13 (1995) THX laserdisc
dts / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional x73 speakers.

Ed Harris, thumbs up approves of this THX dts Laserdisc. :mrgreen: :thumbup:

Is the DTS release of Apollo 13 your overall favorite LD? I've seen you post pics of it and talk about it a lot.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2015, 01:13 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

alien wrote:
Is the DTS release of Apollo 13 your overall favorite LD? I've seen you post pics of it and talk about it a lot.

Most played film but not on this pressing as I owned the first release pressing around '95 then sold it years later after I got the dts pressing. So most played film and I guess most played dts soundtrack. Why you gonna do a thread on most played dts LD. :mrgreen: I don't keep a log book for all the LD I play. I just pick 'n choice at random and play 'em.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2015, 13:07 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Arrived this morning Pet Sematary (1989) on Laserdisc, nice transfer and Dolby Stereo mix from the start was gripping tense with Elliot Goldenthal, score and the voice panning the sound of the forest sounded immersive with a skunk running around from surround to though the LCR channels.

This a sad downer of a chilling film. :( This is a watch it once a year film on Halloween its creepy classic.

Church (the cat)

When you are walking down the street at night
And behind you there's no one in view.
But you hear mysterious feet at night,
Then the Munsters are following you.

Sooty, is scary cat.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2015, 03:55 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I watched the Terminator Genisys on Blu-ray today. Poor script, poor directing, poor acting (except Byung-hun Lee's, he was a worthy successor of Robert Patrick ), it's obvious none of the actors are familiar with the Terminator 1 and 2. This one and salvation makes T3 a better film in comparison. It'snot a terrible film, it would probably rate above average in this day and age with all the crap films but one has high expectations from a Terminator film, this one disappointed. The only thing good? Easy answer is Arnold Schwarzenegger, this franchise is ain't nothing without him!

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2015, 14:41 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I watched Battle Beyond the Stars last night on laserdisc - http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/02861/ID7544VE/Battle-Beyond-the-Stars. Without a doubt the worst case of CLV smear I have ever encountered to the point were the space scenes are nearly unwatchable. Other brighter scenes are fine but since this is a space based film it makes say 50% of it hard viewing. The audio is also as rough as a badgers backside. Its a mono soundtrack that sounds like it was mastered using a fisherprice tape deck. All that being said its a fairly solid budget 80s scifi flick thats worth a watch if your into such things.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2015, 17:04 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Arrived this afternoon GLORY (1989). I been tracking its transit over the few last few days and its arrived a day ahead of its expected delivery date.

Glory (1989) [70286]
Not too keen of the end credits been put on side 3 CLV side with GLORY "true story continues" it kinder ruins the atmosphere for the film finishes that should cut right into James Horner, wonderfully sweeping score.

"Give em' hell, 54th"

If you fail to be crying at this point where one of the other union soldiers watch the doomed 54th and its colonel, march proudly out to face the men of confederates (grey coats) at Fort Wanger and the history books, as its a tearful moment.

A bit of heavy laser-rot on side 3, might as well call it ROTRY. :mrgreen: The PCM holds up with no interference in sound, however the analog track the trickles flickers of the visible laser-rot on screen can be heard on the analog.

I might buy the first pressing of GLORY as I can't deal with poorly placed end credits on this pressing what was the whoever at Colombia-Tristar thinking when they did this pressing?

Well I'll be comparing with frequency response with spectrum lab with region 2 DVD and bluray.

The bluray is a really lousy sound re-mix near field its too bloody loud! It has the surrounds remixed with certain sound effects removed or tamped with and why should we buy and keep bluray funded when they are ripping us off with near-field mixes. Well no matter bluray is back on the BOYCOTTED list I BOYCOTTED it early this yea for 5.6 months and this time the BOYCOTTING may last longer. Fox bluray has is still BOYCOTTED and as been now for a few years! Well no loss to me BOYCOTTING bluray it is a loss for BS lossless audio that most don't seem to grasp FACT its a re-mix near field its not even a THEATRICAL mix! So can't call it lossless audio when it has dynamic range reduced or tampered with audio tracks of dialouge music and sound effects tampered with. Sick and tired of it!

I might buy GLORY on VHS Hi-Fi rental again with a good Hi-Fi VCR?

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2015, 17:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I loved the move Glory and it has one of the best written scores of all time, IMHO. However, the audio quality of every version I have seen (VHS, DVD, Blu-ray) and even the theatrical soundtrack released on CD is horrendously mixed. I'm a total audiophile with a dedicated high end stereo setup in my home theater room and listening to the soundtrack on CD was one of my most memorable disappointments. I wish they would go back and re-record or remix the soundtrack and give us a half decent release.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2015, 11:46 
True fan
True fan

I've seen my fair share of movies in my time, as I'm sure we all have :), but for some reason I've never seen Glory. I take it you enjoyed the film laserbite?

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2015, 12:36 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

invenio wrote:
I loved the move Glory and it has one of the best written scores of all time, IMHO. However, the audio quality of every version I have seen (VHS, DVD, Blu-ray) and even the theatrical soundtrack released on CD is horrendously mixed. I'm a total audiophile with a dedicated high end stereo setup in my home theater room and listening to the soundtrack on CD was one of my most memorable disappointments. I wish they would go back and re-record or remix the soundtrack and give us a half decent release.

Region 2 DVD holds an isolated, James Horner score from start to end in Dolby 4.0
bluray lacks isolated score and traded in for a history war game.
Laserdisc is what it is.
CD album is fine its not bloody loud like some format war loudness CD levels are about around -20db peak at times on the SDDS.

I think I'll get the first pressing of Glory up next maybe next month.

waterfall taken from the CD

Glory (1989) CD, composer James Horner scoring mixer Shawn Murphy.
Opening of CD track 1 of the first few seconds, has some nice sub bass low end extension nearing the 20Hz mark with drums thundering away with tight bass-mid brass middle range and smooth top end on the HF horns.

waterfall taken from the CD

Nice end credits track 12 with a nice deep pulsing feeling bass and voices of "Boys Choir of Harlem", gives a spiritual uplifting feeling.

The level on youtube is a bit on the low soft side so gonna need to turn it up some +10db as it reads low on my CP500.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE0neN9mvcY

Last edited by laserbite34 on 12 Nov 2015, 13:08, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2015, 12:47 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

ace2184 wrote:
I've seen my fair share of movies in my time, as I'm sure we all have :), but for some reason I've never seen Glory. I take it you enjoyed the film laserbite?

I like the film immensely from start to end. The James Horner score keeps it emotional and the terrific Oscar winning Dolby Stereo film mix, surprised it beat Indiana Jones out for best sound, that only picked to sound effects editing, then again, Black Rain was a good mix as was Born on the Fourth of July and The Abyss. The only film I didn't see at the cinema '89 was Glory as it had a limited showing and I missed out on it, all the other above films I saw and I think Star Trek V was worthy for an oscar sound mix award but wasn't nominated.

I'm not a history buff, of US civil war, but I understand it, the story is interestingly and emotionally powerful moving and such a sad ending. Pick it up on disc. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2015, 13:51 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

substance wrote:
I watched the Terminator Genisys on Blu-ray today. Poor script, poor directing, poor acting (except Byung-hun Lee's, he was a worthy successor of Robert Patrick ), it's obvious none of the actors are familiar with the Terminator 1 and 2. This one and salvation makes T3 a better film in comparison. It'snot a terrible film, it would probably rate above average in this day and age with all the crap films but one has high expectations from a Terminator film, this one disappointed. The only thing good? Easy answer is Arnold Schwarzenegger, this franchise is ain't nothing without him!

So is it worth the risk buying it, providing of course I leave my CPU brain outside? :lol:

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2015, 19:04 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Sad to say it but not worth buying.

Page 5 of 6 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next