It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:51

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Your favourite film / movie thread
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 13:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I do not know whether such a thread has been opened yet or not. But I would like to start.

First of all: All of favourite films are available on Laserdisc. I cannot say that all post-2000-films
are utter crap. There have been some very good films indeed but films such as Interstellar could never
capture my heart the same way the absolutely brilliant Blade Runner did.

Here is a short list of my favourite films of all times:

1.) Thin Red Line ( 1998 ) - I saw this one in the local cinema when it came out in 1998/99. I think I have
seen it at least 20 times ever since. Watching this film is like starring at a piece of art for a long
period of time accompied by beautiful music. Although I have to say that I do not like Hans Zimmer's
most recent compositions, this is without any doubt the most beautiful soundtrack ever created. The absolutely
fantastic cinematography and the perfect cast !!! ( Ben Chaplin, Elias Koteas, Nick Nolte and others )
make this film an unforgettable experience. It is beautiful beyond belief and perfect in every way imaginable.
I remember when it came out and it had to compete against the action packed Saving Private Ryan which is my
opinion is just another soulless Hollywood blockbuster people called it pretentious, boring, etc. But now
20 years later everybody can see which is the superiour film. Comparing Thin Red Line to Saving Private Ryan
is like comparing a 5 star gourmet dinner to a McMeal. This film is a like a bottle of good red wine that only
gets better in time.
I wish I would own the laserdisc as I think it should be in my collection but I have the Crition Blu Ray
which is an absolutely superb release in so many ways.

2.) Blade Runner ( 1982 ) - Superb story, amazing visuals, it has aged extremely well and looks so much
more real than some of the super expensive crap people have been putting out for the past 20 years, a perfect
Harrison Ford, this film like Thin Red Line is a piece of art. The Final Cut is amazing. The picture quality
is PERFECT.

3.) Platoon ( 1986 ) - this film makes you feel like you in the middle of the Vietnamese jungle fighting
the Vietcong. They just don't make films like that any longer. Period. Especially Oliver Stone doesn't make
films like this one any longer. It is a perfect film, soundtrack wise, Tom Berenger was robbed of the oscar
for his role in this film, perfect from beginning to end.

4.) Donnie Brasco ( 1997 ) - I honestly believe this to be Al Pacino's finest performance. It also has a
wonderful score and excellent performances by all actors incl. Michael Madsen. This is also one of Al
Pacino's last good films. This is the last good mafia film in my opinion.

5.) Alien ( 1979 ) - Like Blade Runner it has aged extremely well and hasn't lost any of its appeal. Even though
we all know how the story ends it is still an extremly captivating film from beginning to end no matter how many
times you have actually seen this. Watching this for 20th time is like watching it for the 1st time.

There are certainly other great films such as Heat ( perfect ! ) , Dances with Wolves ( perfect ! ) or
Gattaca, all available on laserdisc, however those are the first films that come to my mind. The Thin Red Line
without any doubt is my favourite of them all.

Post subject: Re: Your favourite film / movie thread
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 22:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'll keep things short. My favorite films of all time, with no particular order, are as follows...

* Shichinin no Samurai - Everything is right in this classic that was highly influenced by acclaimed directors of the west world yet influenced the entire industry for years to come. Simplistic with its appearance yet masterful with its direction. And although I'm not interested in actors generally, no one acts like Mifune does in this film. One of the very best theatrical experiences I've ever had.

* Blade Runner - I've honestly lost count how many times I've seen this film and that includes all five versions spread over a various selection of formats. In fact, I saw the workprint just yesterday. I've seen it so many times that I don't even know why I like it, but even if I always find something new in it whenever I see it and I never get tired of it. I could go on and on about this film but there's no point in doing that here.

* Mimi wo Sumaseba - It's as if Ghibli made a remake of Lelouch's Un Homme et Une Femme, but warmer and with that perspective of a child's mind that they always embed in their films. It's a kids movie made for adults.

* A Brighter Summer Day - Seeing it first on a crappy VCD bootleg with subtitles so compressed you could barely read them and with so low resolution that in many cases there was no way to know who were who in anything further away than a medium shot, I couldn't get my eyes off it (this film is four hours long). It was just a week before Christmas and as an unemployed cinephile who'd gone through a depression, I rethought all of my actions for the entire year and even before that. Nowadays I watch it on Christmas morning every year and always thinks of what I've done this year different from the prior one and what have changed. In other words, it's highly personal. My only suggestion is to pick up the Criterion Blu-Ray. No collection is complete without it.

Regarding Heat, I'll watch it in 35mm in September this year. Haven't seen it in many years. Especially interesting that the print is from its release, as the recent 4K master did get some orange and teal in the color grading department so seeing how it originally looked like will hopefully give me an idea of how accurate the new Blu-Ray is.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2017, 09:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

1 - 1000 The Dirty Dozen (1967) - This movie has it all, except dumb romance. It has comedy, drama, great acting and hard boiled two fisted action, and that's all you need. The ultimate guys movie. Made back in the golden era of Hollywood tough guys. It's often compared to The Devil's Brigade and is so far superior it's not funny. The original Inglorious b*****ds never impressed me much either compared to TDD. TDD was my favorite movie from about 10 years old, it was replayed on TV so often I still know it scene for scene, I bought the LD but it's cut : ( Missing the shaving scene. It is a long movie but it's all entertainment gold.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2017, 15:08 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Lee Marvin the ultimate baddass, when he was starting out, living on the Bowery he didn't have enough money for alcohol so he would take a jar of water
and run the gas lamp hose into the water for a few minutes to drink and get high.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2017, 22:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Cool story. All I know is he was a real US Marine and he was the kind of understated tough guy that didn't need huge muscles or a loud mouth to say it

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2017, 19:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I suppose my favorite films would be (in no particular order):

1) Alien
I saw this movie back when it first came out in a theater. I liked it so I invited my cousin to see it with me again. My cousin (age 18) had never been to a horror movie so he was not prepared. The scene that almost made him jump out of his chair was the one where Ripley knocks the head off the android. I had to tell him it was an android and then he calmed down.

2) 2001
I saw this movie in 1967 or 1968 when I was in college. I took my parents to see it with me. The theater had a large curved screen which was impressive at the time. My mother liked the movie. My father was so-so about it.

3) Dark Star
A pretty good movie for a student flick.

4) Non-disney films: Kik's Delivery Service
Nausicaa
Spirited Away
Castle in the Sky (Laputa)
Song of the Sea
Whisper of the Heart
The Peanuts Movie
Howl's Moving Castle
Only Yesterday
Etc. (not a movie)
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2017, 05:43 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Movies I can watch again, and again, and again with repeated pleasure:

1/ Silence of the Lambs
2/ Clockwork Orange
3/ Scream (it's a guilty pleasure)
4/ Terminator 2
5/ Laputa, the castle in the sky

Julien

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2017, 19:53 
True fan
True fan

My top five would be:

The Road Warrior (Mad Max II)
And Then There Were None (1945)
Sleuth
Zulu
Little Big Man

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2017, 23:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

bifrostbear wrote:
My top five would be:

Sleuth
Zulu
Little Big Man

Little Big Man is wonderful. They simply don't make films like that any more :( I care so much more about a film such as Little Big Man than some 100 Million $
production like Interstellar.

The Road Warrior is excellent, too. I love this film !!! The new Mad Max film didn't impress me that much I have to say. I mean it is not bad but Mad Max II is
so much better.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2017, 23:10 
Honest fan
Honest fan

My Top 5 (always a pleasure to watch in my opinion):
GoodFellas
Terminator 2
The Thing (Carpenter)
Robocop (Verhoeven)
Alien

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2017, 23:20 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

confederate wrote:
bifrostbear wrote:
My top five would be:

Sleuth
Zulu
Little Big Man

Little Big Man is wonderful. They simply don't make films like that any more :( I care so much more about a film such as Little Big Man than some 100 Million $
production like Interstellar.

The Road Warrior is excellent, too. I love this film !!! The new Mad Max film didn't impress me that much I have to say. I mean it is not bad but Mad Max II is
so much better.

Little Big Man is amazing. I love that movie so much I used to use the handle "Mule Skinner" sometimes in the Compuserve days.

However, LBM is no underdog. A budget of $15M in 1970 was not bad. That's three times what Beneath the Planet of the Apes cost and about $3M more than Patton. I would assume it was the huge number of cast, extras, stunts, costumes, and sets. That movie covers a lot of ground.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2017, 01:04 
True fan
True fan

LBM is just awesome. I particularly like Martin Balsam's character who has managed to lose more body parts every time he appears. Black humor at it's best.

I knew I was in for a theatrical treat in 1970 when among the first lines was this gem:

...At first sight of an Indian camp, what you think is, "I see their dump. Where's the camp?

None of that living in harmony with nature crap was true - nomadic cultures trashed and/or exhausted the local resources (which is what caused them to be nomadic), moved on and came back in a few years when the local environment had re-established itself.
----------------------------------------
I was really disappointed in Fury Road - I thought it was a rather pathetic caricature of the Road Warrior - it also had lost the hard gritty edges that the universe of Mad Max was portrayed as being the new reality.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2017, 02:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Revisiting Kubrick master epics is an ongoing constant in my life ....... He did not make a bad film in my opinion ....

- Alien Trilogy (including contemporary Alien vs Predator) .....
- Screamers (every few years or so)
- Blade Runner (every four or five years whether I need to or not ! ? ! )
- X Men (cures depression as only episode on LaserDisc lol)
- A myriad of others however too fogged out to recall at this moment .....

Nice thread here ....

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 17:57 
True fan
True fan

1. Star Wars Episode 1 The phantom menace
2. Small Soldiers
3. Ghost in the Shell
4. Back to the Future
5. Die Hard with a vengeance

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 18:08 
Old skool Van Damme, Schwarzenegger, Norris, Jackie Chan and Steven Seagal movies.
No retreat no surrender series.
Nuthin' beats this decade of 80's action, thrilla, comedy and horror movies.

What's not to like movies with fake CGI

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 20:48 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

1. Jaws - loved this movie since I was little and never get tired of watching it. Of course the science behind it is questionable, but still--have some suspension of disbelief like you're supposed to when watching a movie!

2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) - first flesh-eating zombie movie I ever saw, and I was hooked ever since (even though I had been interested in the voodoo type zombie lore before that.) The mix of gore and Romero's wit in film-making made for one great film. And yes, I have visited the Monroeville Mall where the movie was shot!

3. A Better Tomorrow - great heartfelt action flick and first collaboration between Chow Yun Fat and John Woo. Many think The Killer and/or Hard Boiled are better CYF/JW films, but I disagree!

That's all I can think of at the moment.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 10:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:

3. A Better Tomorrow - great heartfelt action flick and first collaboration between Chow Yun Fat and John Woo. Many think The Killer and/or Hard Boiled are better CYF/JW films, but I disagree!

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Not only is The Killer a better film than ABT, but ABT2 is better too.

Wish I could afford the LD that's listed here now.

You need all that super fast action in silky smooth analogue video!

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 15:21 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

forper wrote:

I enjoyed both of those movies a lot too (and The Killer was the first John Woo movie I ever saw), but I still enjoyed ABT more.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 16:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

* "THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN" (1971)
* "ALIEN" (1979)
* "ALIENS" (1986)
* "FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR" (1986)
* "THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER" (1990)
* "WAR GAMES" (1983)
* "THE MANHATTAN PROJECT" (1986)
* "FIREFOX" (1982)
* "TRON" (1982)
* "THE SECRET OF NiMH" (1982)
* ORIGINAL STAR WARS TRILOGY (1977/1983)
* ORIGINAL STAR TREK TRILOGY (1979/1991)
* BRUCE LEE FILMS (197?/197?)
* many others still, but those up there are the first that come immediately to mind...

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 01:24 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:

Wait a minute, you don't own the Killer on LD??
Isn't it cheap to pickup??

Haven't seen A Better Tomorrow in a while, I didn't think it was bad but I did feel that the Killer was better, but I will have to watch Tomorrow again.
There was more story from what I can remember.

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next