It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:57

Page 8 of 18 [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2016, 20:22 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Volcano (1997)
Dolby Stereo Digital AC-3 Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL

Arrived today.

Laser rot status is minor few flickers now and then so its holding up fairly well for a pressing for 20 years.

Picture quality transfer looks decent enough for THX-laserdisc standard.

Sound is rocking bass mid sub bass LFE.1 surrounding listening fun.

Dolby dialnorm +4db

Chapter 8 LFE.1 rumbles around a bit along with lots of bass rummble on LCR and split surrounds.

ROTCANO a little more LavaRot showing up as specs now and then its actually effective with the film. :mrgreen:

The Dolby AC-3 gets louder and louder on side 2.

Last edited by laserbite34 on 05 Jun 2016, 04:49, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 04:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Volcano and Deep Impact are underrated when it comes to the crop of mid to late 90's disaster flicks. Both are better than the higher rated, bigger budget ones like Independence Day, Twister and Armageddon

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 04:57 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

alien wrote:
Volcano and Deep Impact are underrated when it comes to the crop of mid to late 90's disaster flicks. Both are better than the higher rated, bigger budget ones like Independence Day, Twister and Armageddon

Volcano was up against Dante's Peak, has they share same theme as was Deep Impact and Armageddon.

I'll give Volcano, another spin later in the day I found to be rather entertaining. I'll keep look out for the dts pressing.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 15:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

ahhhhh! yellows and greens....nothing renders these colors like a quality analog source

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 17:05 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Picked up a few HD-DVD cheaply at Sunday market and one of them. Dante's Peak HD-DVD
Dante's Peak (1997) THX Laserdisc

Dante's Peak THX-LD vs Dante's Peak HD

One quick fast listen to the HD-DVD Dolby Digital-Plus and I knew the sound sounded dynamic frequency weak. Grabbed the THX Laserdisc Dolby Digital AC-3 and the dynamics are roasting in larva!

Picture the THX Laserdisc makes the HD-DVD shameless as the white levels are bit overcooked on the HD cursing issues that can not be professional calibrated with tv or projected as the damage is done on the product!

The whites remain whiter on the THX Laserdisc and I'd sooner settle for smeared SD standard image than some new HD format that is overrated. Laserdisc is still the king format.

The blacks are terrible on the HD making skin tone look like everyone ate a bad Indian curry.
THX Laserdisc

HD-DVD

THX Laserdisc Whites are whiter as they should be! :thumbup:
I had to set the manual ISO down to 100 to get the picture capture.

HD-DVD yuck that HD picture quality looks dreadful! :thumbdown:

I'd sooner play my, "Dante's Rot" than waste my time with HD-DVD and I have no hope for bluray as I fear same issue given universals bad track record with bluray products and 4k uhd doesn't interest me in least one bit as of yet.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 17:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

yes...digital copies sometimes have casual Hue deviations causing skin tones (white balance)going too orange or green....

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 18:28 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

ertoili wrote:
yes...digital copies sometimes have casual Hue deviations causing skin tones (white balance)going too orange or green....

In simple words HD is PANTS! I had enough of it star wars 7 was suppose to be the big this and that HD format film of ever 2015 and was just crap picture crap sound crap disney product that should be flushed down the toilet. I've had enough of bluray and uhd I hope it dies with 3d. Waste money on uhd and its titles are shocking poor at present and prices are almost same as what most Laserdiscs cost 17 years ago before it was pushed into retirement. I've had enough of the small con scamming HD format disc.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 21:01 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

dutchinmiami wrote:
The Rock. Intense! :)

Went in a loop around 15 minutes. Skipped to the next chapter: fine. :)

The 15 minute loop is best explosive part of the film. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 21:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I find it amusing when people claim "HD" to "scam people" yet they don't seem to care for aspect ratio.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 22:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yes, it is surprising how many BDs and DVDs that have just plain wrong aspect ratio compared to what it says on the cover. You can't trust the information given to you prior to buying the movie. I've tried complaining about it to different distributors, but mostly get the "are you serious?" answer in return. Returning the movie to the store I bought it in is also a no-go. In most other cases this would be called false advertising and be considered an offence.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 23:35 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

nissling wrote:
I find it amusing when people claim "HD" to "scam people" yet they don't seem to care for aspect ratio.

The Last Emperor bluray is a scam the aspect ratio is zoomed in and cropped. Sooner get it on Laserdisc or DVD in 2.35:1 can't stand these 2.2:1 zoom ins on scope films.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 23:37 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

samaron wrote:
Yes, it is surprising how many BDs and DVDs that have just plain wrong aspect ratio compared to what it says on the cover. You can't trust the information given to you prior to buying the movie. I've tried complaining about it to different distributors, but mostly get the "are you serious?" answer in return. Returning the movie to the store I bought it in is also a no-go. In most other cases this would be called false advertising and be considered an offence.

By rights you could sue them for false advertising. I'm sick of studios tiresome and repeated excuses to milk consumers when it suits them.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 00:24 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Last emperors aspect ratio is the cinematographers approved ratio. He specifically asked it to be framed that way.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 02:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

laserbite34 wrote:
alien wrote:

Volcano was up against Dante's Peak, has they share same theme as was Deep Impact and Armageddon.

I'll give Volcano, another spin later in the day I found to be rather entertaining. I'll keep look out for the dts pressing.

I still have not seen Dante's Peak, will have to check that one out, but so far I prefer Deep Impact and Volcano over all the others.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 03:52 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

substance wrote:
Last emperors aspect ratio is the cinematographers approved ratio. He specifically asked it to be framed that way.

The approved BS milking ratio. Same with Apocalypse Milking how many times that been pressed before it got a 2.35:1, I lost count?

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 07:31 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

This master was made in Rome under Storaro's direct supervision, with Bertolucci's approval. When we asked Storaro about the framing of the film, he unhesitatingly told us that the correct aspect ratio for The Last Emperor was 2:1, even though the film was commonly projected at 2.35:1.Feb 25, 2008

From criterions website on the last emperor

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 07:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

is it true that studios are planning to abandon DVD releases?

sold my ps3 and i refuse to buy a bluray player definitely

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 08:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

samaron wrote:
Yes, it is surprising how many BDs and DVDs that have just plain wrong aspect ratio compared to what it says on the cover.

If you thought that was what I meant you got it all wrong. In fact rather few films on Blu-Ray are presented in anything else than their original aspect ratio. What the cover says is a completely different thing and doesn't matter as long as the film is shown correctly

What I meant is that laserbite34 complains on Blu-Ray and other HD formats all the time, while clearly pointing out how much better Laserdisc is. Yet he still shows his LDs in the incorrect AR. Supposedly it's more important for him that those lights should have a slightly weaker contrast than the film being correctly shown overall.

Regarding The Last Emperor, it seems standard for films shot in Technoscope to be shown somewhere between 2:1 to 2.2:1. That was the case for Apocalypse Now for many years. Another film that comes to mind is The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover (also Technoscope) which I think was stretched out on Laserdisc from a cropped down transfer. The DVDs and Blu-Rays are shown in 2.35:1, which seems to be what Greenaway always wanted.

Some people think that the negative aspect ratio of a film is how it's supposed to be shown. If only they knew how wrong they are about that. I.e. pretty much every film shown in 1.85:1 or 1.66:1, that was originally shot on 35mm, are in fact matted from 1.37:1.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 11:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

ertoili wrote:
is it true that studios are planning to abandon DVD releases?

sold my ps3 and i refuse to buy a bluray player definitely

I highly doubt DVDs are going to disappear any time soon. There have been cases where new movies didn't even get a BD release, only DVD, because it's cheaper.

nissling wrote:
If you thought that was what I meant you got it all wrong. In fact rather few films on Blu-Ray are presented in anything else than their original aspect ratio. What the cover says is a completely different thing and doesn't matter as long as the film is shown correctly.

Yes, I got what you meant. ;) I were talking about those that are in fact cropped (or stretched) and wrong. Have come across some BDs that have been cropped down to 16:9, but for the most part DVDs get the worst treatment in my experience. I've found several BDs that claim to be anamorphic 2.35:1, but are 1.78 or 1.85 or something like that, which is the proper AR.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 15:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

absolute accurate aspect ratio is not a dramatic issue
for me....Widescreen Laserdiscs or Letterbox VHS are OK and i like the skin tones they offer...

It is true...Akira Bluray is an example how many years we were NOT enjoying the full frame....but hey man! everything has its flaws even the UHD discs!

Page 8 of 18 [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next