It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 13:30

Page 7 of 18 [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 21 May 2016, 00:23 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

laserbite34 wrote:
substance wrote:
I think the reason for the Super35 was the smaller cameras allowed interior shots of the fighter jets.

I think it was a grumble about changing lenses? There might be something about it on the net but glad its been dropped now and many going back to proper anamorphic lenses.

Possibly. Cameron was the fan of Super35. He did all of his movies in S35 upto Titanic?

PostPosted: 21 May 2016, 03:47 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Never liked Top Gun. Liked it even less when I joined the Navy and actually worked on F-14 jets. Then I worked with a mech who worked on the jets during the filming of the movie. Said Cruise was a prissy b**ch complaining all the time about the helmet messing up his hair, and giving the pilot flying the jet he was riding in a lot of crap about his flying (all shots of Cruise in the cockpit he was in the RIO seat, ie: rear seat of the cockpit.)

I was even stationed at Miramar for a while for training. No one really had much nice to say about the movie being based out of there.

Went to the bar/restaurant in downtown San Diego where the famous "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" scene was shot (didn't realize it was that bar until I was already in there--I was there for San Diego Comic Con in 2011.) At least the ribs were good.

PostPosted: 21 May 2016, 07:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

substance wrote:
He did all of his movies in S35 upto Titanic?

No. Terminator and Aliens were both shot on traditional 35mm. All of his films are shot with spherical lenses.

Personally I've never liked Super 35 but it's probably mostly due to the fact that most films shot with anamorphic lenses have generally much better film stock. For Swedish films, Cinemascope was extremely rare between the 70s and mid-90s. If it was ever used it was almost always a 2-perf format like Techniscope. In the mid 90s, Super 35 and Super 16 got more common though which made many directors jump over to Cinemascope. I think it started somewhere around Jägarna as it was very professional production in contrast to other Swedish features from the same time (it's much more like a mishmash of sentimental Hong Kong action and Hollywood melodrama) and gave many directors an idea of what Swedish environments and landscapes can look like in a wider format.

PostPosted: 21 May 2016, 12:12 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

elahrairrah wrote:
Never liked Top Gun. Liked it even less when I joined the Navy and actually worked on F-14 jets. Then I worked with a mech who worked on the jets during the filming of the movie. Said Cruise was a prissy b**ch complaining all the time about the helmet messing up his hair, and giving the pilot flying the jet he was riding in a lot of crap about his flying (all shots of Cruise in the cockpit he was in the RIO seat, ie: rear seat of the cockpit.)

I was even stationed at Miramar for a while for training. No one really had much nice to say about the movie being based out of there.

Went to the bar/restaurant in downtown San Diego where the famous "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" scene was shot (didn't realize it was that bar until I was already in there--I was there for San Diego Comic Con in 2011.) At least the ribs were good.

Wow nice story and you never "lost the loving feeling" expect for the rips. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 21 May 2016, 12:16 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

nissling wrote:
substance wrote:
He did all of his movies in S35 upto Titanic?

No. Terminator and Aliens were both shot on traditional 35mm. All of his films are shot with spherical lenses.

Personally I've never liked Super 35 but it's probably mostly due to the fact that most films shot with anamorphic lenses have generally much better film stock. For Swedish films, Cinemascope was extremely rare between the 70s and mid-90s. If it was ever used it was almost always a 2-perf format like Techniscope. In the mid 90s, Super 35 and Super 16 got more common though which made many directors jump over to Cinemascope. I think it started somewhere around Jägarna as it was very professional production in contrast to other Swedish features from the same time (it's much more like a mishmash of sentimental Hong Kong action and Hollywood melodrama) and gave many directors an idea of what Swedish environments and landscapes can look like in a wider format.

Often I can spot a Super35 film with certain shots like when the sun light beams into the lens it leaves O circle rather than an 0 oval shape.

PostPosted: 21 May 2016, 14:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yep, the distortion in blur and flares clearly points out whether or not an anamorphic lens has been used. Once you see it you'll notice that it's a very common stylish effect in films. Probably the best example of that is The Graduate.

PostPosted: 21 May 2016, 15:35 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

nissling wrote:
Yep, the distortion in blur and flares clearly points out whether or not an anamorphic lens has been used. Once you see it you'll notice that it's a very common stylish effect in films. Probably the best example of that is The Graduate.

Not seen that film in decades I think I recall few sunlight scenes but I think it was panned and scanned on tv, only opening titles was in scope.

PostPosted: 22 May 2016, 03:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserbite34 wrote:
Not seen that film in decades I think I recall few sunlight scenes but I think it was panned and scanned on tv, only opening titles was in scope.

If you rewatch it (I highly recommend the Criterion Blu-Ray) you will notice how the blur is heavily distorted and that it is used in several scenes. Most notably when Elaine realizes that Benjamin and Mrs. Robinson have had a relationship as the focus shifts very slowly and you can see how the blur is oval but the more it gets in focus it becomes more circular.

PostPosted: 22 May 2016, 14:40 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

nissling wrote:
laserbite34 wrote:

If you rewatch it (I highly recommend the Criterion Blu-Ray) you will notice how the blur is heavily distorted and that it is used in several scenes. Most notably when Elaine realizes that Benjamin and Mrs. Robinson have had a relationship as the focus shifts very slowly and you can see how the blur is oval but the more it gets in focus it becomes more circular.

I looked for LD pressing listings letterbox. I'll think about the bluray.

PostPosted: 22 May 2016, 14:43 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

dutchinmiami wrote:
Watching Jungle Book: brand new: was sealed.

Top Gun: must have been extremely popular: I have 5 or 6 copies already. Just like Hunt for Red October.

Just three copies is enough. Prefer the Laserdisc even if it might be little smeared the colours and all still looks good enough.

May get The Hunt For Red October, THX/AC-3 even thou reports of one of the surround channels on one of the three sides has a sort of fault with no sound.

PostPosted: 22 May 2016, 15:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserbite34 wrote:

If you really want it on Laserdisc I'd recommend the CAV Criterion set. It's a fine release but their recent Blu-Ray is fantastic in every aspect.

PostPosted: 22 May 2016, 16:29 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

nissling wrote:
laserbite34 wrote:

If you really want it on Laserdisc I'd recommend the CAV Criterion set. It's a fine release but their recent Blu-Ray is fantastic in every aspect.

There are two versions on CC CLV and CAV and I have freeze digital frame on my Pioneer DVL-909 so is the CAV just better production quality over the CLV.

PostPosted: 23 May 2016, 03:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Don't think there's any major differences other than the gatefold, as the CLV edition comes in a standard sleeve. I had the CAV myself and loved it but felt overwhelming once I bought the Blu-Ray.

PostPosted: 23 May 2016, 16:53 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

nissling wrote:
Don't think there's any major differences other than the gatefold, as the CLV edition comes in a standard sleeve. I had the CAV myself and loved it but felt overwhelming once I bought the Blu-Ray.

What of soundtrack between the two of them does the LD soundtrack sound near to the bluray in that it doesn't sound like been tampered with? I like original sound mixes for films. The film I see on imdb had a 4-track mix as well as mono release.

PostPosted: 23 May 2016, 17:01 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Braveheart (1995) (Uncut) Dolby Stereo AC-3 / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL

Morning postal Braveheart (1995) oscar winner best picture/director sound effects editing all mixed recorded and released in Dolby Stereo Digital.

Picture transfer looks fine for standard THX-laserdisc quality.

Dolby Stereo AC-3 sounds sweet with late, James Horner music performed by the London Symphony Orchestra, at Abbey road.

Sound effects editing and sound mixing gives nice supportive for the films story.

PostPosted: 24 May 2016, 04:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserbite34 wrote:
What of soundtrack between the two of them does the LD soundtrack sound near to the bluray in that it doesn't sound like been tampered with? I like original sound mixes for films. The film I see on imdb had a 4-track mix as well as mono release.

I haven't compared any of the soundtracks, but the Criterion BD has the original mono track if you want it.

PostPosted: 24 May 2016, 11:37 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

nissling wrote:
laserbite34 wrote:

I haven't compared any of the soundtracks, but the Criterion BD has the original mono track if you want it.

Its what I'd be checking to see if frequency response and level and mixing positions if multi-channel I'd check if its the same and I often found some of the LD bass better than dtshdma in some cases when compared with Dolby AC-3 or the bass in mono film is better than bluray on some .

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 04:18 
True fan
True fan

Is Braveheart worth picking up if you have the BD?

PostPosted: 29 May 2016, 00:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Just watched through Drunken Master II Part 1 (1994) [ML 444]/Drunken Master II Part 2 (1994) [ML 445]. It is the first time I've seen this movie, and it was really fun from start to end! Highly recommended to anyone who likes Jackie Chan and martial arts. Those fighting scenes were just really impressive to watch! This specific release has the original mono cantonese soundtrack, as well as dubbed mandarin. The english subtitles were not bad either.

PostPosted: 29 May 2016, 20:48 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

sdraper wrote:
Is Braveheart worth picking up if you have the BD?

I not compared few scenes to DVD as of yet to see what it looks like on Spectrum lab and TrueRTA.

Page 7 of 18 [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next