It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:43

Page 16 of 18 [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016, 06:31 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Not true with me. My opinion that Sony is crap is based on me buying tons of stuff from them and seeing a very obvious decline in quality and innovation. After buying THE WORST CD PLAYER EVER from them and working at a shop that sold PlayStation 2s I started to reconsider my love of the brand. Since then they've declined in every way and will probably soon be split off from the PlayStation and sold to receivers.

At times Sony is great. At times Chrysler is great. At times Michael Crichten is great. The vast majority of us time these things all suck though, and they all suck even more now.

You think Sony players are great. You think Sony discs are great. You think Japanese are filthy. Maybe composite video DOES look good where you are because clearly you live in the friggn Twiglight Zone.

You are right about one thing though, the feel is more important than the specs. I don't think you're actually getting the feel though because if you were you won't be compelled to shove composite video fetism down everyone else's necks. Your tirades feel less like an unpopular gospel and more like a desperate need to justify your ancient junk.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016, 08:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
You think Japanese are filthy.

No, I just recognize that they're normal humans, ie the full scope of humanity. From filthy to OCD to everything in between. You and a bunch of Western fanboys think Japanese people are superior humans, which isn't true. I think no race or ethnicity is better or worse than another.

I lived in Japan for 8 years of my life if you want to argue more about this with me.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016, 11:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
Blu Ray was brought out long after the heyday of Sony but it has been used badly by studios mainly to meet the idiotic demands of today's market. Sony hasn't changed as much as consumers have.

You do realize that Blu-Ray was in fact launched by Sony and that the whole trademark is owned by them? Just like they released Beta, or Magnovox/MCA released Discovision, or Toshiba released DVD.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2016, 11:40 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Atlantis (1991)

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2016, 13:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

nextwednesday wrote:

690 miles?? Do you live in Shetland? [/quote]

No, just outside Glasgow..... more like around 450-ish miles, don't know where 690 came from?!?! Will check more carefully after I type in future :oops: .

Enjoy the 70mm presentations.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2016, 14:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

nissling wrote:
forper wrote:
Blu Ray was brought out long after the heyday of Sony but it has been used badly by studios mainly to meet the idiotic demands of today's market. Sony hasn't changed as much as consumers have.

You do realize that Blu-Ray was in fact launched by Sony and that the whole trademark is owned by them? Just like they released Beta, or Magnovox/MCA released Discovision, or Toshiba released DVD.

Yes I do.

The specs of Bluray are great on paper but what the studios have done with it is pathetic and dissapointing. They've used great power for evil (and easy profits).

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2016, 14:19 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

forper wrote:
nissling wrote:
forper wrote:

Yes I do.

The specs of Bluray are great on paper but what the studios have done with it is pathetic and dissapointing. They've used great power for evil (and easy profits).

I see your frustration on certain releases but in a way this is what majority of the home video buyers want. They want their older films look pristine and up with times. They scrub the noise, add some teal and contrast boost = your old film botox'ed and as good as new. This isn't true for the majority releases fortunately. There are studios committed for loyal representations. Also we don't know if LD had survived, it wouldn't get the same botox process in this era. At the end of the day, it isn't a community service they allow you to watch your films at home. They want to make money, they will butcher films in any way they return profit.

Check out reviews and captures before you buy any Bluray. If your local release is bad, there is generally another release somewhere else in the world that is stellar. The world is smaller now with the internet, its not too expensive or hard to import. You would be paying much more money to LD than importing a Bluray from a far land.

If above options fail then you can check out LDs, VHS etc..this is pretty much what most of us do in this forum. We love LDs but so few of us have it as first choice, rather it's a last resort (but we are happy that we have this option).

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2016, 10:21 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Nightmare Before Christmas, The (1993) (AC-3 Version)
Tim Burton's Magical Masterpiece!

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2016, 12:47 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

kingpin wrote:

Try the Dolby Stereo mix on this release. It sounds very different! Interesting but you get way more surround action. I don't know which one is the correct mix but DS mix definitely fills the room whereas DD mix has leakage free discreet effects in the front channels.

Note: Jack's black and white striped shirt is a torture pattern for comb filters and deinterlacers on this title. Its a good title to test out your video processing. Almost no processor gets it right btw so no worries if you don't see good results.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2016, 13:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

substance wrote:
forper wrote:

Yes I do.

I see your frustration on certain releases but in a way this is what majority of the home video buyers want. They want their older films look pristine and up with times. They scrub the noise, add some teal and contrast boost = your old film botox'ed and as good as new. This isn't true for the majority releases fortunately. There are studios committed for loyal representations. Also we don't know if LD had survived, it wouldn't get the same botox process in this era. At the end of the day, it isn't a community service they allow you to watch your films at home. They want to make money, they will butcher films in any way they return profit.

Check out reviews and captures before you buy any Bluray. If your local release is bad, there is generally another release somewhere else in the world that is stellar. The world is smaller now with the internet, its not too expensive or hard to import. You would be paying much more money to LD than importing a Bluray from a far land.

If above options fail then you can check out LDs, VHS etc..this is pretty much what most of us do in this forum. We love LDs but so few of us have it as first choice, rather it's a last resort (but we are happy that we have this option).

I have DVD as a backup if I can't find something on LD but LD will always be my first choice. The picture is just so pleasing to my eye everytime. All movies I'm interested in are old and none of them have been "cleaned up" in the modern sense on LD. LD is the perfect format.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2016, 14:16 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Sudden Impact (1983)
„Go ahead, make my day!“

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2016, 00:39 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
I have DVD as a backup if I can't find something on LD but LD will always be my first choice. The picture is just so pleasing to my eye everytime. All movies I'm interested in are old and none of them have been "cleaned up" in the modern sense on LD. LD is the perfect format.

Star Wars trilogy was cleaned up, and I'm not just talking about the 1997 special edition versions either. The 1993 Definitive editions and/or the 1995 Faces editions were given the DNR treatment (especially A New Hope) to make them appear "cleaner" in that "modern sense".

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2016, 01:01 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Pre-1988 discs are pretty raw. Anything after 1993 is heavly touched. 1998 and later releases come from masters designed for DVD production. Generally 2K digital scans downrezed to ntsc.

By 1998 digital processing got better. Early DVDs had high bitrates but used masters designed for LDs. DVD mastering became really good after 1998. Digital production was pretty advanced but they started choking on the bitrates to fit extras. You see compression artifacts upto 2003-2004. After that they perfected DVD mastering. They can use low bitrates but very little artifacts.

LDs between 1993 and 1998 are the worst. They suffer poor digital processing applied on SD masters. I like pre-1988 and post 1998 LDs. Pre-1988 ones are dirty with scratches, speckles, noise but no dnr/ee. Post-1998 discs come from near perfect 2k masters but they suffer LDs limitations.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2016, 02:13 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

substance wrote:
Pre-1988 discs are pretty raw. Anything after 1993 is heavly touched. 1998 and later releases come from masters designed for DVD production. Generally 2K digital scans downrezed to ntsc.

By 1998 digital processing got better. Early DVDs had high bitrates but used masters designed for LDs. DVD mastering became really good after 1998. Digital production was pretty advanced but they started choking on the bitrates to fit extras. You see compression artifacts upto 2003-2004. After that they perfected DVD mastering. They can use low bitrates but very little artifacts.

LDs between 1993 and 1998 are the worst. They suffer poor digital processing applied on SD masters. I like pre-1988 and post 1998 LDs. Pre-1988 ones are dirty with scratches, speckles, noise but no dnr/ee. Post-1998 discs come from near perfect 2k masters but they suffer LDs limitations.

WOW thank you for posting this so clearly for the noobs and some veterans to understand.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2016, 00:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I still won't ever watch a Poo Ray.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2016, 01:20 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:

You prefer LDs that are slathered with DNR and EE of which there is a lot. Unfair to solely blame Blu-Rays for this when in reality these digital techniques were incorporated in a large way on LD a long time ago. Every format has there good and bad transfers.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2016, 03:20 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

alien wrote:
forper wrote:

You prefer LDs that are slathered with DNR and EE of which there is a lot. Unfair to solely blame Blu-Rays for this when in reality these digital techniques were incorporated in a large way on LD a long time ago. Every format has there good and bad transfers.

The reason why he doesn't understand is he hasn't seen a decently mastered Bluray on a half fine calibrated above mediocre system.

All those problems you mentioned EE, DNR, white smear, combing, agp error aren't really problems until you notice them. Once you notice and realize them tho, your eyes won't see anything else. Ignorance is a bliss once more here. I rarely watch an LD from start to end without pulling out remotes and start tweaking. My eyes catch those imperfections right away because they know where to look for them. It is a notion and feeling I can not control. I wish I could ignore like I did years ago when I didn't know they were there.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2016, 08:39 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:
alien wrote:
forper wrote:

The reason why he doesn't understand is he hasn't seen a decently mastered Bluray on a half fine calibrated above mediocre system.

All those problems you mentioned EE, DNR, white smear, combing, agp error aren't really problems until you notice them. Once you notice and realize them tho, your eyes won't see anything else. Ignorance is a bliss once more here. I rarely watch an LD from start to end without pulling out remotes and start tweaking. My eyes catch those imperfections right away because they know where to look for them. It is a notion and feeling I can not control. I wish I could ignore like I did years ago when I didn't know they were there.

I see what you're saying. Admittedly I wouldn't pick up one quarter of the things you would spot on a typical LD transfer, but I tend to be a little more forgiving and accepting of the imperfections of LDs simply due to their age. IMO its important to keep expectations in check.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2016, 04:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Lawrence of Arabia is awesome. Will hopefully rewatch it soon in order to get ready for Battlefield 1.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2016, 15:05 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Jurassic Park (1993)
CAV + THX Version
The Audio & Video quality is IMHO absolute Reference class!
:thumbup:

Page 16 of 18 [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next