It is currently 10 Dec 2019, 13:41




 Page 6 of 18 [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 10 May 2016, 16:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2011, 15:15
Posts: 679
Location: NH, United States
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 9 times
dutchinmiami wrote:
The LDs in question have issues on other players as well. And the players play good discs just fine.


Were they stored in some unusual fashion, like up in a very hot attic or in direct sunlight? I've probably watched 500 discs in the past few years and I have literally had 1 or 2 bad sides. For you to find 2 almost back to back is very unusual.
_________________
My Home Theater Gallery
Laserdisc Collection Storage
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 10 May 2016, 17:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2011, 15:15
Posts: 679
Location: NH, United States
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 9 times
dutchinmiami wrote:
No idea. I bought 600+ dicsc through Craigslist and 100+ discs through eBay in big lots. No idea what previous owners did (not) do.


That's a great haul. With a little bit of luck the faulty disc rate will go down.
_________________
My Home Theater Gallery
Laserdisc Collection Storage
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 11 May 2016, 00:50 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2006, 17:10
Posts: 3751
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Clear and Present Danger (1994) Dolby AC-3 Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System

Image

Cracking action/thriller from start to end.

Image
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 16 May 2016, 02:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 05 Jul 2011, 15:10
Posts: 903
Location: Norway
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times
Not exactly laserdisc, but went and watched The Green Inferno + Cannibal Holocaust double feature at the movie theatre this weekend. The premiere was on the 6th of May, though. But hey, got a neat brown puking bag just before the movie. The staff were handing them out with the entrance. Should go along well with the bag in my Cannibal Ferox: Special Edition (1981) (Uncut) [GRL-001] laserdisc.

First movie were The Green Inferno. It were how I expected it to be, and how I were told it was. Felt really american, not sure how to describe it... Definitely over-hyped, not nearly as disturbing, vile and grim as the next feature in my opinion. Although, it did have a few graphic gory scenes.

Cannibal Holocaust is probably one of the more gruesome and unpleasant movies I've seen. Two people even left the cinema shortly after the first rape-scene. In many ways a very good movie in my opinion, as it did exactly what it were supposed to. Provoke and be disturbing. It even have a subtle social commentary as well, something I didn't expect. Certainly not a movie I'll be watching anytime soon, if ever, as it were pretty vile.

Cannibal Holocaust were also one of the movies that got banned back in the day. This is probably the first time it is shown on the big screen in Norway, uncut even.

Image
_________________
Player: Pioneer HLD-X9 and CLD-2950
My LD collection
Recently started collecting some anime on LD
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 16 May 2016, 04:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan
User avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 10:23
Posts: 1585
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 28 times
Imho Cannibal Holocaust doesn't have much to offer, though its criticism against media where people get paid for others' suffering is at least presented in a unique form which may seem interesting for discussion. But it's certainly not a good film if you ask me.

Which master was shown? The one on Blu-Ray is pretty much crap, although probably better than any other home video alternative.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 16 May 2016, 10:41 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 05 Jul 2011, 15:10
Posts: 903
Location: Norway
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times
What put me off the most were the animal killings in the movie. Seemed very unnecessary and cruel. None of it had anything to do with the plot either.

Which master it was, I do not know. I would assume a blu-ray of some sort. It did have some film grain, though. Not totally washed out (and destroyed) like Predator. What bothered me the most were that the projector were adjusted wrong. The image were trapezoid shaped. The audio were also clipping bad. The audio part might just be how it really is because of the age and the fact it is fairly low budget.
_________________
Player: Pioneer HLD-X9 and CLD-2950
My LD collection
Recently started collecting some anime on LD
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 17 May 2016, 02:56 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 3063
Location: MA USA
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 53 times
Two biggest disappointments. Star Wars and Deadpool. I kinda knew they were going to suck. I hate to be right. The wife wanted to see Deadpool as I stopped watching super hero films since the earlier spiderman, we both fell asleep. Both 2 hours of my life I will never get back.
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 17 May 2016, 04:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2012, 10:13
Posts: 817
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 6 times
substance wrote:
Two biggest disappointments. Star Wars and Deadpool. I kinda knew they were going to suck. I hate to be right. The wife wanted to see Deadpool as I stopped watching super hero films since the earlier spiderman, we both fell asleep. Both 2 hours of my life I will never get back.

Star Wars as in A New Hope or The Force Awakens?
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 17 May 2016, 12:32 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 3063
Location: MA USA
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 53 times
Force awakens.
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 17 May 2016, 15:55 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 30 Aug 2005, 15:38
Posts: 3091
Location: Pennsylvania
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 31 times
samaron wrote:
Not exactly laserdisc, but went and watched The Green Inferno + Cannibal Holocaust double feature at the movie theatre this weekend. The premiere was on the 6th of May, though. But hey, got a neat brown puking bag just before the movie. The staff were handing them out with the entrance. Should go along well with the bag in my Cannibal Ferox: Special Edition (1981) (Uncut) [GRL-001] laserdisc.

First movie were The Green Inferno. It were how I expected it to be, and how I were told it was. Felt really american, not sure how to describe it... Definitely over-hyped, not nearly as disturbing, vile and grim as the next feature in my opinion. Although, it did have a few graphic gory scenes.

Cannibal Holocaust is probably one of the more gruesome and unpleasant movies I've seen. Two people even left the cinema shortly after the first rape-scene. In many ways a very good movie in my opinion, as it did exactly what it were supposed to. Provoke and be disturbing. It even have a subtle social commentary as well, something I didn't expect. Certainly not a movie I'll be watching anytime soon, if ever, as it were pretty vile.

Cannibal Holocaust were also one of the movies that got banned back in the day. This is probably the first time it is shown on the big screen in Norway, uncut even.

Image

Amusing that they gave that barf bag away for the double feature. Gotta movie gimmicks!

Saw the trailer for The Green Inferno over a year ago and never felt the need to see it. I was pretty much thinking "What's going to be shown in this movie that will distinguish it from previous cannibal movies like Cannibal Ferox or Cannibal Holocaust." Because it looked pretty much more of the same--dumb, misguided Americans going down to the Amazon and getting eaten.

Cannibal Holocaust I have a funny history with. In the mid to late 80s I would stay up late on Friday nights to watch "Black Belt Theatre" on a local channel (weekly showing of a 70s/80s Martial Arts flick) and during this program odd commercials would be shown that normally wouldn't be shown during regular programming hours--namely one being a spot for Cannibal Holocaust as it was to have a screening at a tiny theater in Philadelphia, PA (oddly enough the theater is still around--The Roxy.) So being the young horror-liking fool that I was back then, of course I then wanted to see this movie, but of course I couldn't go to this screening as I couldn't drive yet (nor would they EVER let my 14-15 year old a** in the theater to see it.) Also I was then introduced to the fact that not every movie in the world is available on VHS, as not a single video rental shop had the movie nor was it available in any of their order catalogs.

Over the years I kept reading about the movie in various books and magazine about how brutal and gory the movie is, but still unable to find a means to see it and pretty much forgot about it for a while. Until one day when browsing Ebay in the late 90s looking through Laserdiscs and came aross the Cult Epics LD of the movie. So plunked down the cash for the movie and . . . well, I kind of regret that decision. The movie is just something that I can't see anyone watching this and enjoying it. And if you do enjoy it, YIKES!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 19 May 2016, 01:51 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2006, 17:10
Posts: 3751
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times
substance wrote:
Two biggest disappointments. Star Wars and Deadpool. I kinda knew they were going to suck. I hate to be right. The wife wanted to see Deadpool as I stopped watching super hero films since the earlier spiderman, we both fell asleep. Both 2 hours of my life I will never get back.

There is just one place for star wars the force awak :yawn: ens, in my cats litter tray! Dreadful carbon copy of classic sci-fi/fantasy called, 'STAR WARS' (1977).

Image

I'll pass on the deadpool it, "sounds pretty sick to me" I'll just upgrade from the bluray to the Laserdisc with, 'The Dead Pool' "Harry Callahan".

Image

If I want comedy I'll just watch this, oh that scream is hilariously funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-qPhmAxkjc


Last edited by laserbite34 on 19 May 2016, 02:02, edited 2 times in total.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 19 May 2016, 02:00 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 3063
Location: MA USA
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 53 times
laserbite34 wrote:
substance wrote:
Two biggest disappointments. Star Wars and Deadpool. I kinda knew they were going to suck. I hate to be right. The wife wanted to see Deadpool as I stopped watching super hero films since the earlier spiderman, we both fell asleep. Both 2 hours of my life I will never get back.

There is just one place for star wars the force awak :yawn: ens, in my cats litter tray! Dreadful carbon copy of classic sci-fi/fantasy called, 'STAR WARS' (1977).

Image



Seriously brother! It was that bad!
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 19 May 2016, 02:21 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2006, 17:10
Posts: 3751
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times
substance wrote:
Seriously brother! It was that bad!

Its that bad. The force blended.

Image

I'd rather watch 136 mins of chimpanzee washing a cat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkviIYKjPyw
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 19 May 2016, 20:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2013, 02:37
Posts: 552
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 5 times
dutchinmiami wrote:
Heat! Finished side A. Great action movie.


In my opinion, without any doubt, the best action movie ever made. It is simply perfect. It does not have a single flaw.

I particularly like the scene when Robert de Niro and his new girlfriend stand on he balcony for the first time together. The background music,
the acting, the dialogue PERFECT !!!

- City of Lights. In Fiji they have these iridescent algae that come out once a year in the water. That's what it looks like out there.
- You've been there ?
- No, I'm going there someday.
- Oh yeah. You travel a lot ?
- Yeah.
- Travel makes you lonely ?
- I'm alone. I am not lonely. You ?
- I get lonely.

With the music in the background -> PERFECT !!!

I am sick and tired of movies like Marvel vs Capcom, Superman II etc. I can' stand this stuff. Those are movies without a soul !
You will never find this kind of dialogue in a modern day action movie. That's I-M-P-O-S-S-I-B-L-E !

Now, Heat, that's a movie with a lot of soul in it, lots of fantastic action, a beautiful love story that's not totally corny like 99% of the love stories out there,
fantastic performances by both Al Pacino and Robert de Niro, fantastic camera work, fantastic sound mix etc. etc.
_________________
Pioneer HLD-X0 with Sony MSC-3000 MUSE decoder.

Pioneer CLD-D925 for PAL discs.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 19 May 2016, 21:07 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2006, 17:10
Posts: 3751
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Sicario (2016) Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (Atmos) Lucasfilm Ltd THX sound system

Image

Still a tensely gripping thriller story with a cool neat sound mix.

Image

Image


Last edited by laserbite34 on 19 May 2016, 23:43, edited 3 times in total.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 20 May 2016, 16:40 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2006, 17:10
Posts: 3751
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Top Gun (1986)Dolby Stereo AC-3 Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL

Image

30th Anniversary USA May 16th 1986 a summertime hit afterburner-ed subsonic into the cinemas.

Opened nationally in UK 3rd October 1986. The Scott brothers, doing each of there own bring exciting entertainment to the screen.

Image

The THX AC-3 laserdisc still sonically shines nicely on laserdisc with the original theatrical mix.

The split-surrounds are excitingly cool for 30 years old. Sub bass LFE.1 still very much impressive with "flyby the tower" or other afterburner scenes where the rumble of the jets vibrates the seating.

Image

Music is stellar high pumping thumping octane with some really cool music and songs.

Image

Actual aerial photography combined with the practical miniature shots is often hard to tell even to this day the effects and flying hold up very well.

Image

The bluray is okay expect the mix is a little tampered with and doesn't stay to its original mix. The early Laserdisc and early DVD edition is close to the mix. The bluray had some dialouge panning altered by placing a few lines in the film "I want some butt" (air traffic control guy yelling) I seem to recall the pan at the cinema in October 1986.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 20 May 2016, 17:11 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 3063
Location: MA USA
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 53 times
laserbite34 wrote:
Top Gun (1986)Dolby Stereo AC-3 Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL

Image

30th Anniversary USA May 16th 1986 a summertime hit afterburner-ed subsonic into the cinemas.

Opened nationally in UK 3rd October 1986. The Scott brothers, doing each of there own bring exciting entertainment to the screen.

Image

The THX AC-3 laserdisc still sonically shines nicely on laserdisc with the original theatrical mix.

The split-surrounds are excitingly cool for 30 years old. Sub bass LFE.1 still very much impressive with "flyby the tower" or other afterburner scenes where the rumble of the jets vibrates the seating.

Image

Music is stellar high pumping thumping octane with some really cool music and songs.

Image

Actual aerial photography combined with the practical miniature shots is often hard to tell even to this day the effects and flying hold up very well.

Image

The bluray is okay expect the mix is a little tampered with and doesn't stay to its original mix. The early Laserdisc and early DVD edition is close to the mix. The bluray had some dialouge panning altered by placing a few lines in the film "I want some butt" (air traffic control guy yelling) I seem to recall the pan at the cinema in October 1986.


I think this is the best version to watch in any format. The mix is from the original 6 track theatrical print. Top Gun was shot in Super35 and later matted for 1.78:1. The Japanese Special Collection version has the open matte version but doesn't get the AC-3 audio.
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 20 May 2016, 19:10 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2006, 17:10
Posts: 3751
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times
substance wrote:
laserbite34 wrote:
I think this is the best version to watch in any format. The mix is from the original 6 track theatrical print. Top Gun was shot in Super35 and later matted for 1.78:1. The Japanese Special Collection version has the open matte version but doesn't get the AC-3 audio.


Yeah know of the Super35, would have liked true anamorphic lenses used.

Have the DVD early pressing that is about same to NTSC THX laserdisc. The bluray again its okay with the picture res but the colours are more less the same. The proper opening with Paramount mountain as well as the early editions use a newer different Paramount mountain.

Top-cat Sooty, watches F-14 Tomcats in TOP GUN or TOP CAT? :mrgreen:

Image

The bass in the music starting up around chapter 19 that goes into chapter 20 is fantastic! The roaring of the jet fighters engines is supported by LFE.1 that rumbles all the seats and when the afterburners suck it in and blast it out as the two F-14 reach for the skies. Classic action, Dolby Stereo film for the mid 80's.

The flat-spin scene when the ejection system is activated feels like the seats in my room are about to project me upwards makes me look downwards at the seat arms as I feel the vibration ripple though all seats.

Centre middle back row is great thou I don't mind left front row as my cat has best centre front row in the house. :mrgreen:

Its cooler with PLIIx switched in with surrounds like when the ramp raises the F-14 up to top deck in chapter 26, time 33.01-07 you'll hear the humming of the motor a few seconds behind you, it makes me look over my shoulder while still keeping one eye on the screen!

Image

Certainly like the style of the ending perfect and with F-14 roaring the afterburners up into the end credits is perfection. Feel the blast of the afterburners over front of my body followed with vibration kicking around the back of the seats.

Image

Image
Camera manual mode ISO 400 tinted the orange down a bit darker should be a bit paler brighter.

Image
For a single disc don't often get gate-fold covers and artwork looks good for the product.

Image

Image

Image
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 20 May 2016, 20:28 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 3063
Location: MA USA
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 53 times
I think the reason for the Super35 was the smaller cameras allowed interior shots of the fighter jets.
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 20 May 2016, 22:22 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2006, 17:10
Posts: 3751
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times
substance wrote:
I think the reason for the Super35 was the smaller cameras allowed interior shots of the fighter jets.

I think it was a grumble about changing lenses? There might be something about it on the net but glad its been dropped now and many going back to proper anamorphic lenses.
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 6 of 18 [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 18  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: