It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:06

Page 1 of 6 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: What have you been watching? (2015)
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2015, 20:33 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Star Wars Fox Video Special Widescreen Edition (Technidisc pressing with aspect ratio fixed) which looked better than I remembered, though not perfect.

Toy Story CLV AC-3
Star Trek Generations AC-3 (great transfer)
Aladdin CAV

Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 12:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

i have perceived that some scenes look better or more detailed than others in the same laserdisc...why ? is it common?

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 13:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It's very common on every format that the picture quality differs throughout the film. That's the way it is, basically. Hell in the Pacific (1968) [8028-85] is by far the worst I've seen. First side looks good, and in some sequences even excellent. Second side looks really dull and soft. Probably below VHS in terms of sharpness. Good flick however.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2015, 15:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thanks, i have seen that lack of sharpness in LOGANS RUN first 20 minutes...after that the image quality increases a lot till became even a really good image

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 15:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Blade Runner: Directors Cut - Criterion Edition Laserdisc
Second time I give it a try, in attempt to understand the cryptic contents of the unicorn and about Deckard being a replicant or not.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 09:48 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Watched Austin Powers last night. Smashing film, yeah baby!

Its been years since I watched the DVD but the picture quaility of the LD was fantastic. The special features are first class and I'm fairly sure the deleted scene about the air hostess is not on the DVD. It was a nice touch to add a colourful 60s style text intro to each of the extras. One item of note is after the credits for the special features there is a test pattern displayed which is not listed on the back of the cover.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 10:02 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Tenchi Muyo in Love Special Edition

The movie's on two CAV discs (+1 CAV disc of extras, interviews, chara/items/mecha designs, creditless special ending) and the quality is superb. This is the only version that has a different ending theme. While all the other versions (normal LD, VHS, DVD's and BD's) have just a black screen and rolling credits, this one has a video of Tenchi training and showing his movie mother, Achika, after the events such as her in a wedding dress or when she carries Tenchi when he was very little. It's a must for any Tenchi, or the 90's anime fan.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 14:25 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Lucy (2014) - (BD) - Artsy action film. I liked it a lot. Written/produced/directed by Luc Besson. Music by Eric Serra. No other explanation needed:)

Film 4/5
Video 5/5
Audio 5/5 (Dts hd ma5.1)

Gone Girl (2014) - (BD) - I was expecting a few more twists at the end.

Film 3.5/5
Video 4.5/5 (excellent transfer but film is intentionally dull colored)
Audio 4/5 (it's not a demanding mix, it does what it is supposed for this type film)

Zero Theorem (2014) - (BD) - If you liked Brazil, 12 Monkeys( more so Brazil), this is the movie you have been waiting for. Christoph Waltz is indeed a good actor.

Film 4.5/5
Video 5/5 ( contrast is intentionally weak in Interior shots)
Audio 5/5

Babylon 5 (1993) - Babylon 5 #1.1: The Gathering (TV Pilot) (1993) [15647]

B5 is not for everyone and even for sci-fi lovers you have to insist watching a few episodes before it grows on you. If you have made it second season, you realize you love this show.

Pilot Episode - 4/5
Video 5/5 ( absolutely pristine. Ld at its best, puts dvd to shame)
Audio 4/5 ( dolby surround encoded over 2pcm channels)

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2015, 15:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yesterday I went through the newly bought laserdisc of Yngwie Malmsteens Live in Tokyo '85.
Great supplement to my collection.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2015, 17:28 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I started warching "se7ev" on digibook bluray. I stopped after 20 minutes because I couldn't stand the color timing choice on some scenes.

I started warching Tremors bluray and EE was so excessive I had to stop after 10 mins. I popped in the hd dvd version. Its the same master with the same issue. I popped in signature collection ld. EE is less noticeable due to lower resolution but still there. I popped in the r1 dvd, no dice. I have the open matte early release ld somewhere I will try it this weekend.

Fury (BD) I enjoyed it a lot. Far from perfect but tank films are rare and I like tanks. Video and audio are top notch. Decent extras.

Bone collector - 1080i cable tv(fios) excellent video. I will try the hd dvd later.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 14:17 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Watched the abyss special edition LD last night. Never scene it before but must say I enjoyed it. Its actually a really good transfer to LD and the boxset is nice with the wee booklet and extras etc.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 21:03 
True fan
True fan

Watched Fifth Element with the misses last night. I don't know if I got lucky or what have you, but my copy was 100% rot free. I'll count my blessings. :angel:

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 21:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Was it the DADC pressing? If so then you're lucky.

I saw Ghostbusters 2 on Blu-Ray last night, 4K remaster. An entertaining flick imo and picture was pristine in every sense of the word. One of the best restorations I've seen in a long time.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2015, 01:49 
True fan
True fan

nissling wrote:
Was it the DADC pressing? If so then you're lucky.

I saw Ghostbusters 2 on Blu-Ray last night, 4K remaster. An entertaining flick imo and picture was pristine in every sense of the word. One of the best restorations I've seen in a long time.

Hmm I didn't check. Based on the notes on the database, I'll assume I got a Pioneer pressing.

I'll have to check out Ghostbusters 2. I saw Ghostbusters in the theater over the summer as they were parading out the new restored 4K version, and my gf got me the anniversary set for Christmas. I've been putting off watching it, now I guess I shouldn't have.

Last edited by ace2184 on 13 Feb 2015, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2015, 11:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Watched Highlander 3: The Sorcerer (1994) [PILF-2135] last night. Planning to tuck into THX 1138 (1971) [NJWL-11162] soon.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2015, 21:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

An update on my recent watch list (blu-ray's in Bold):

Only Lovers Left Alive - Very unique take on vampires. Good acting as well. I would definitely recommend a watch.

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended Edition) - Decided to do a rewatch.

Edge of Tomorrow - Pretty good scifi movie. Kind of Groundhog Day meets Aliens. Not a big Tom Cruise fan but it was a good watch, I recommend a viewing.

X-Men: Days of Future Past - Actually pretty good. I thought it was one of the better X-men movies thus far.

Lortd of the Rings: The Two Towers (Extended Edition) - Awesome as always.

Hercules - Mediocre at best. Maybe worth a rental if you like action movies set in ancient settings.

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - Big name actors, accomplished director... sloppy script and boring movie. Unfortunately, this was a pretty big let down when compared to the original Sin City.

Expendables 3 - Entertaining but unfortunately significantly worse than the 2nd installment.

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Finishing up the trilogy. Always a good watch.

Maleficent - Very good movie. Interesting take on the classic. Recommend a watch.

Begin Again - Pretty fun watch.

Jewel of the Nile, The (1985) [1491-85] - Not as good as the original but still a good 80's movie. If you liked "Romancing the Stone," then you definitely want to watch this.

22 Jump Street - I was not a huge of the first one and this was even less entertaining. Maybe worth a rental but definitely not a buy.

Snowpiercer - Interesting movie with an "independent" feel. Definitely worth a watch if you like sci-fi.

Scrooged (1988) [LV32054] - A good Holiday movie with Bill Murray.

Chef - This was actually quite entertaining. I recommend a watch.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Very good sci-fi movie. It also has a great soundtrack.

Die Hard (1988) [8905-85] - Is there really a better "Christmas movie"?

The November Man - Pierce Brosnan returns as a spy. Not bad, but just watch James Bond instead.

Game, The (1997) [ID4260PG] - Interesting movie with Micheal Douglas. Recommend a watch.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - I think this sequal was better than the original reboot of the series a few years ago. If your a fan of the original movies, it's worth a watch for the "re-imagining".

Star Trek #112: For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky/The Tholian Web: Disc #32 (1968) [LV 60040-112] - This was the last disk that I needed in the ST:TOS laserdisc series. I finnaly got a "non-broken" disc for christmas and finished up the series.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Very entertaining. Certainly no Lord of the Rings, but still worth a viewing.

Joe - Another Nicholas Cage dud. Oh well.

Lone Survivor - Good Mark Wahlberg military movie.

Magic in the Moonlight - Cute Woody Allen movie.

Love is Strange - Good acting.

The Maze Runner - Not a big fan of the "young-adult" genre of films but this one was somewhat entertaining. Worth a rent.

Transcendence - An "ok" scifi movie with Johnny Depp.

The Equalizer - Good vigilante movie with Denzel Washington.

Beastly - The SO wanted to see this. I'm sure it's very entertaining if you are a 14 year old girl. Otherwise I would skip this one.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2015, 17:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Got me Fury on Blu Ray just yesterday.
Couldn't wait so watched it in the evening. Top notch picture and sound :thumbup: :thumbup:
It reads Mastered in 4K
Noticed much detail in this particular movie . My Marantz SR-7007 displayed XV color passing trough in the video input setting. It's all in the detail I guess 8-)

The Equalizer was next... another crystal clear transfer with a solid soundtrack.

Picture quality is amazing in this age :shh:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 02:56 
True fan
True fan

oops please delete

Last edited by bguzman on 17 Feb 2015, 03:01, edited 2 times in total. _________________
Main - CLD-95, LX-1000U W/AC-3 -> Faroudja NR Series -> Display
Backup - LX-900, CLD-D703

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 02:57 
True fan
True fan

Saw Kingsman: The Secret Service in a DFX ATMOS theater with power reclining seats and they serve beer! How did I not know this before?
Best ever!

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 13:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

substance wrote:
I started warching Tremors bluray and EE was so excessive I had to stop after 10 mins.

No kidding, it's really bad.
http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/m ... #vergleich

Watched Sharknado on Blu-Ray today. Film was almost "so bad it's good" but a bit too boring in the long run imo. Picture wise it was a mixed bag. Some scenes looked very blocky and soft (obviously due to limited source material) but most of the time it was very fine. Colors was a bit on the cool side yet satisfying. Overall a good Blu-Ray in my opinion, though the special effects look very cheesy in 1080p.

Page 1 of 6 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next