It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:17

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Dune (1984)
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2019, 08:03 
Put me down as an admirer of the Lynch version over the one with William Hurt. The former is disjointed, clumsily fugual, and much too short, but very distinctive and atmostpheric. The latter is devoid of mystery and generally bland.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2023, 21:36 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I don't read novels but I did see the 1984 Dune movie maybe when I was 17? I have a VHS of it. I only saw it once but I do remember liking it. I love most space/planet adventure movies in general. I really got a Conan The Barbarian vibe from Dune, probably because it's from the same producer, Dino de Laurentiis. Seriously, to me Dune looked and felt like a Conan movie that took place on another planet. I'm definitely a Dino de Laurentiis fan. I have the widescreen US LaserDisc release of Conan The Barbarian, and I used to have a discovision LaserDisc of Flash Gordon. I have Conan The Barbarian, Red Sonja and Dune on VHS. I never liked Conan The Destroyer.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2023, 21:41 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

pizmo wrote:
Dune is one of my all time favorite sci fi movies! However, my taste in sci fi movies is considered odd to most people. For instance I think Star Trek The Motion Picture is the best movie of the entire franchise, and I also have to admit that I actually like 2010 better then 2001.

I first watch Dune when I was around 8 years old and I instantly fell in love with it. I read the book in the 9th grade but it didn't have near as much impact on me as the movie.

The only real issues I have with the movie is the cringy, artistic, totally 80's portrayal of the Harkonnen. I have a tendency to fast forward all the Harkonnen scenes whenever I watch the movie

Wow, I can't believe I found someone else who also prefers the year we make contact over a space Odyssey! Also it's been a long time since I saw the Star Trek movies but I remember loving all those. Haven't seen the next generation ones though. And of course I too liked Dune.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2023, 13:48 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

The Japanese box set looks cool on a shelf. Mine doesn't have the OBI. But the transfer on the TV cut is really terrible. And there are much better versions of the feature on Laserdisc.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2023, 17:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I have a DVD copy that has both theatrical and TV version in both widescreen.
That box does look cool but I can't keep multiples in my collection anymore.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2023, 04:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

that Masterful TOTO Score... so perfectly underlines and emphasizes the raw emotional punch of the film's proceedings...

it honestly is the Perfect Soundtrack for such a well-realized overall Atmosphere that is Rather Harsh, and, indeed, Oft-Repugnant... and yet, so Sublimely, Beautifully... Epic.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2023, 13:32 
Site Admin
Site Admin

tasuke wrote:
that Masterful TOTO Score... so perfectly underlines and emphasizes the raw emotional punch of the film's proceedings...

That's a little spooky because I am playing de soundtrack CD right now!

Great timing tasuke!

Julien

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3