It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 18:29

Page 1 of 3 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Which Laserdiscs have the best picture quality?
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 23:24 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Hi,

maybe some people who have seen many movies on Laserdisc could list a few titles they think have the best picture quality. Might be interesting. ;)

Please: No special formats like squeeze LD or Muse/Hi-Vision - just standard NTSC/PAL discs.

Post subject: Re: Which Laserdiscs have the best picture quality?
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 23:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Return of the Living Dead 3 and Eat Them Alive as well as The Iron Giant were darn near perfect for me.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 00:43 
True fan
True fan

A couple of more recent discs I've picked up look really good - Boogie Nights, English Patient Criterion. A couple of really good ones also are Star Wars Episode 1, Beauty and the Beast, Armageddon, and Saving Private Ryan

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 01:11 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I not exactly eagle-eyed enough to spot any purist-level imperfections but one that has especially amazed me so far is japanese release of Maschera Di Cera.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 01:52 
May sound strange but Beverly Hills Cop 3 is the best looking LD I've seen (and I've seen quite a few).

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 05:26 
i haven't watched anywhere even close to half of my LDs, but usually i find that the disney titles have a pretty good presentation. except for pocahontas, that one seemed kind of washed out. might have just been my setup though. not sure.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 05:38 
True fan
True fan

jeb86home wrote:
i haven't watched anywhere even close to half of my LDs, but usually i find that the disney titles have a pretty good presentation. except for pocahontas, that one seemed kind of washed out. might have just been my setup though. not sure.

I've watched both the CAV and CLV presentations of Pocahontas, and I don't think the picture is washed out, but merely extremely grainy. Like excessively grainy, to the point where I can barely watch it after seeing the HDTV remaster

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 06:04 
flcl4evr wrote:
jeb86home wrote:

I've watched both the CAV and CLV presentations of Pocahontas, and I don't think the picture is washed out, but merely extremely grainy. Like excessively grainy, to the point where I can barely watch it after seeing the HDTV remaster

possibly so. either way, not a good transfer for that one lol.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 11:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The best I've seen hands down is Jurassic Park (1993) [41830], some of the scenes are so clear and sharp, much better than VHS and DVD versions.

Other discs I own notable for their picture quality would be: Fifth Element, The (1997) [82406], Queen: Greatest Flix I & II (1998) [PLMPD 01171] and Terminator 2: Judgment Day: Special Edition (1991) (Uncut) [PSE82997-6WS].

I'm sure there are better out there, these are just the ones I've seen that have impressed me.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 16:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

hippiedalek wrote:
The best I've seen hands down is Jurassic Park (1993) [41830], some of the scenes are so clear and sharp, much better than VHS and DVD versions.

Other discs I own notable for their picture quality would be: Fifth Element, The (1997) [82406], Queen: Greatest Flix I & II (1998) [PLMPD 01171] and Terminator 2: Judgment Day: Special Edition (1991) (Uncut) [PSE82997-6WS].

I'm sure there are better out there, these are just the ones I've seen that have impressed me.

The DVD of Jurassic Park used the 1125i Hi-Vision master made for the Muse LaserDisc release...that's why it looks so poor. I was shocked when I got the DVD and saw how bad it looked and sounded compared to the DTS LaserDisc and CAV release.

I remember that the Alien CAV box set was the first time I became aware that a major improvement had been made in LaserDisc picture quality. Although that version of Alien was terribly over matted, its picture and pressing quality were an order of magnitude higher in quality than I had ever seen since the beginning of the LaserDisc format. After that it seemed like there was one eye-popping release after the other.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 20:02 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I was really impressed with the picture quality of Tank Girl. The live action and animation scenes all look really crisp

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 23:20 
True fan
True fan

The remake of the Getaway-far from my favorite movie but the PQ was incredible.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2012, 18:37 
True fan
True fan

Of those I own or have seen the best would be the Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition Boxset, followed by the Connery Collection Vol. 1 (Dr. No, FRWL, Goldfinger).

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 01:36 
True fan
True fan

sdraper wrote:
Of those I own or have seen the best would be the Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition Boxset, followed by the Connery Collection Vol. 1 (Dr. No, FRWL, Goldfinger).

I have to disagree, I think the Connery Collection Vol.1 was a half assed release. They barely restored any of the films and left them in really rough shape for home video releases.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 02:10 
Serious fan
Serious fan

For older films, the Criterion CAV transfer on Casablanca is incredible looking. Clean and crisp picture without a nick to be seen.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 03:06 
Serious fan
Serious fan

disclord wrote:
hippiedalek wrote:

The DVD of Jurassic Park used the 1125i Hi-Vision master made for the Muse LaserDisc release...that's why it looks so poor. I was shocked when I got the DVD and saw how bad it looked and sounded compared to the DTS LaserDisc and CAV release.

Wait, so does that mean the Hi-Vision version of Jurassic Park is worse then the standard LD version?

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 08:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

brmanuk wrote:
Wait, so does that mean the Hi-Vision version of Jurassic Park is worse then the standard LD version?

I can't vouch for this first hand as I can't afford to delve into the realms of MUSE laserdiscs but I've read that most Hi-Vision transfers from film had a slight green tint as well as heavy compression artifacts. Someone posted a link to a great site that reviewed each disc and gave their opinion on whether it was worth shelling out for or sticking with the current DVD or LD, I remember Jurassic Park ranking quite low.

EDIT: Found the link: http://www.cinedrome.ch/hometheater/hdtv/muse/reviews/Jurassic%20Park/Jurassicpark.html. It gets a better write up than I remember but still not great.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 12:40 
Honest fan
Honest fan

hippiedalek wrote:
The best I've seen hands down is Jurassic Park (1993) [41830], some of the scenes are so clear and sharp, much better than VHS and DVD versions. Other discs I own notable for their picture quality would be: Fifth Element, The (1997) [82406], Queen: Greatest Flix I & II (1998) [PLMPD 01171] and Terminator 2: Judgment Day: Special Edition (1991) (Uncut) [PSE82997-6WS].

I agree, especially "Fifth Element" and "Terminator 2" offer a great picture quality. May I say the two Criterion Editions of both "Robocop" and "Seven" are also worth mentioning. Great looking, clear pictures showing a lot of fine details (especially the dark scenes in "Seven"!).

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 15:05 
True fan
True fan

I'd have to say that Jerry Maguire looks fantastic as well

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 18:00 
True fan
True fan

flcl4evr wrote:
I have to disagree, I think the Connery Collection Vol.1 was a half assed release. They barely restored any of the films and left them in really rough shape for home video releases.

I like them because the transfers are pretty much straight from the MGM vault elements, in original 1.66:1, feature the original Technicolor brilliance, and straight lossless mono. They aren't mucked with in any way and are very clean for what they are. I'd rather have a bit of print marks than the over-processed awful editions nowadays. Though FRWL has a really really hissy soundtrack. I thought it was my player at first, but it is indeed something akin to master tape noise you'd hear on a vintage LP. Must have been straight from the optical track on the print.
CC Vol. 2 (Thunderball-Twice-Diamonds) has much dirtier transfers, lots of print defects, damage, general roughness. My copy is a little banged up so I can't tell if all the video noise is because of condition. But it certainly has noise.

laserdiscoking wrote:
For older films, the Criterion CAV transfer on Casablanca is incredible looking. Clean and crisp picture without a nick to be seen.

Good to know. I've been wanting a good LD of Casablanca.

Page 1 of 3 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next