It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:30

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rocky laserdisc (1985 Japanese LD) vs modern edits
PostPosted: 02 May 2018, 06:55 
This is my first post here. I'm glad to have found a place where posting something like this doesn't make me seem like a maniac (hopefully) :D

If there's anyone who has never seen Rocky 1 (where've you been hiding?) you probably shouldn't read any further.

Anyway, I watched my 1985 Rocky laserdisc (Japanese) last night.

I noticed two things that were different from my memory of the movie ( I'm 31 and the first time I properly watched the movie was probably on dvd in my teens, so I have no experience with the theatrical version etc).

After the final bell in the Rocky\Apollo fight, a piano piece plays briefly before the main music kicks in. IMDB mentions this was removed for the surround sound versions for DVD.

The next thing, which I can`t find any reference whatsoever to online. On the Laserdisc after the final bell rings, Apollo says "Ain`t gonna be no rematch" once and Rocky replies "Don`t want one" twice, the second time sounding quite emotional and like he REALLY doesn`t want one.

Does anyone know when they changed that to the version that is on every DVD\Blu Ray\youtube clips etc. "Ain`t gonna be no rematch" twice, followed by a single relatively nonchalant "Don`t want one" from Rocky.

I am aware how extremely minor an edit this is but I still find it interesting. I think it changes the dynamic between the two. In this Laserdisc version, you get the feeling that Rocky really doesn`t want a rematch. He went the distance with the champ and that was enough. That was the story of Rocky. A loser who wanted to prove he could go the distance with Creed. In the new (?) version Creed repeating himself makes him come across as a beaten man, and Rocky`s single line response sounds more flippant\dominant.

My main question is, is the laserdisc version the same as the orginal theatrical version? The fact it`s from 1985 leads me to assume it probably is. Anyone have a VHS etc?

Also while looking on imdb in the trivia section I found one that said "In the original script, Paulie stated the reason he wanted Rocky to put in a good word for him with Tony Gazzo was because working in the cold, rough climate of the meat plant inflamed and swelled his joints constantly."

This scene was definitely on the laserdisc. Is it on the dvds?

Last edited by Guest on 02 May 2018, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Rocky laserdisc (1982 Japanese LD) vs modern edits
PostPosted: 02 May 2018, 11:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Cool post. I hate edits and changing the character of characters in seemingly subtle but actually important ways.

See Han shoots first.

Love Rocky

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]