It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:36

Page 4 of 5 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Highlander 2
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2019, 12:43 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

je280 wrote:
If we had the internet back then it would have been much easier but it was fun when I think back though I am feeling a bit old now as I type this.

So I do understand & I wish you every success in the preservation project, good luck with it & enjoy!!!

Cheers :thumbup:

I love the Prisoner too. I was always aware of the show but embarrassingly I didn't get the chance to actually see it until the mid 2000s re-run on Sci-Fi UK Channel. I think they used the gate slam on the final episode too! Curse that Channel 4 editor and his lasting influence!

I agree, it's nice to have a mission or quest; to find something lost or hidden treasure. In many ways the internet makes it so much easier today, but at the same time there's a lot of stuff that it's still hard to find information about even on the internet...usually because no one but me cares lol.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2019, 12:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

firehorse_44 wrote:
I for one liked all three installments.
Granted the 2nd episode irritated me a bit, however ANYTHING Michael Ironside is in winds my clock.
Fantastic actor.... (Scanners has a special place in my heart)

Michael Ironside is wonderful in this, he's having a great time chewing the scenery every chance he gets : ) Something I hadn't noticed until my work on preserving this cut of the film is just how often his Canadian accent slips out. I'm from the UK so I'm less sensitive to North American accents in general, but I can't unhear it now. There's a handful of unique dialogue that shows off his accent in the European Cut that didn't make it to other versions.
In fact that's part of what I love about this admittedly awful film; the cast are all having such a great time. They knew the script was trash so they just had fun. Every single scene with Sean Connery is just a joy to watch because he doesn't care, he's just having fun but still turning in a great performance. And he has so many great lines that I'm amazed haven't become memes; "Farewell, dear sh*thead" and the classic "Look at my splendid waistcoat!"

firehorse_44 wrote:
The third installment of Highlander (the apology lmfao ! ! !) Made up for the irritated feeling from part 2.
Loved the casting of Mako as the sword Shamen......
Mario Van Peebles could have put a bit more grit into the "There can be only one" lines in my opinion.
Overall the third was enjoyable .....

Highlander 3 has got some excellent moments, but overall I find it plays things too safe and becomes a bit forgettable. When it gets things right though...wow! The whole Bonny Portmore sequence is a Highlight of the whole franchise!

Highlander Endgame is alright but honestly it just feels like a TV series two-parter...and the less said about The Source the better.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2019, 16:32 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

hippiedalek wrote:
rein-o wrote:
Very cool.
So can someone refresh me quick so I don't have to read the 2 pages of posts.

Laserking listed that this is the British cut of the film, but what would I have seen in the theaters that I can't remember anyway as it was such a classic :lol:
would it have been this version? or a mix of this and another to make a US version?
Thanks,

Quick history of Highlander 2 versions:
USA Theatrical Cut - What everyone in North America and France would have seen. Possibly other places too. The insurance company took the film out of the film maker's hands when it went over budget. They re-edited it into a butchered mess that makes no sense.
First European Theatrical Cut - Often called the British version because British company Entertainment Film Distributors provided extra funding to allow the film makers to make this cut. What most of Europe saw when the film was first released.
Second European Theatrical Cut - Sometimes called the German version. What most of Europe saw when the film was nearing the end of it's theatrical run.
Renegade Version - Home Video cut that shows the film mostly as the film makers originally intended but removes Zeist.
Special Edition - Home Video cut that's mostly the same as the Renegade but with new CGI, one scene cut out, and a few audio changes.

Years ago I noticed that LaserKing had listed the running time on the LD as 101 minutes, which is unique to the run time of the First European Cut of the film. I got in touch with him and asked him a few details and we verified that it is indeed the First EU version.

Both EU cuts are actually easily obtainable on official VHS, LD and even DVD, but none of them have featured the original English language audio, all of them being dubbed into their respective languages. All of them except this Hong Kong laserdisc release.

The European Cuts are kind of a half way house between the US Theatrical Cut and the Renegade Version. It keeps all the Zeist references and adds a lot of the material that wasn't seen in the US until the Renegade Version, but it also loses a couple of good scenes from the US Cut. It's a much stronger version than the US Cut as it's structured more closely to the film maker's original intent. The First European Cut is also the only one to feature the infamous "fairytale ending" in which Connor and Louise return to Zeist.

OK one more questions, the only way to get a non renegade version would be either this HK disc, the USA P/S discs, the Japanese LD widescreen or the Japanese Bluray/DVD combo that has the non renegade version?

Would like to see that version again but would like to get it on another format and not tax my LD players with this classic.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2019, 17:00 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
OK one more questions, the only way to get a non renegade version would be either this HK disc, the USA P/S discs, the Japanese LD widescreen or the Japanese Bluray/DVD combo that has the non renegade version?

Would like to see that version again but would like to get it on another format and not tax my LD players with this classic.

This HK disc is the only English friendly release of the European Cut, but there are plenty of European LDs and DVDs out there that are dubbed into their native languages, they're all slightly cut too.

For the US Cut there's the LDs you mentioned and the Japanese Blu Ray/DVD set (it's only the DVD that contains US Cut, the Blu Ray is the Special Edition. The DVD is also letterboxed, essentially a rip of the Japanese LD, though no burned in subtitles). However if you can play PAL DVDs then the best release of the US Cut so far has been the French DVD. It's a fairly decent looking anamorphic DVD, the colours look a bit washed out but that's just how the US Cut looked. The only downside of the French DVD is that the English audio is only available on a pretty poor 5.1 mix, the rear channels are slightly out of sync so there's quite a bit of echo.

I'm also aware of the US cut being on UK and Australian DVD, but these are Pan and Scan and pretty poor transfers. PAL too.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2019, 22:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Thanks, looking at picking up the theatrical version so I'll try the french or whatever I can cheaper as I don't care about speedup
or anything like that and do own a region free player for such.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2019, 23:28 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
Thanks, looking at picking up the theatrical version so I'll try the french or whatever I can cheaper as I don't care about speedup
or anything like that and do own a region free player for such.

Sorry, one thing I forgot to mention about the French DVD is that there are French subtitles when you select the English audio. They're not hard coded, but there are no menu options to turn them off. Some players will allow you to turn them off using the player menus, but not all.

I should have mentioned that in my first post but it slipped my mind, sorry.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2019, 01:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I think I will track down that DVD. I hope it isn't too expensive.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2019, 01:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

gypsy wrote:
I think I will track down that DVD. I hope it isn't too expensive.

I got it pretty cheap, but then I'm in the UK which is pretty much next door to France.

Apologies for getting mildly political but just before every Brexit deadline I end up going on a European DVD/Blu Ray splurge to avoid potential import fees.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2019, 03:03 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

FYI its called Highlander Le Retour or The Return, that's the one I can find.
Ebay has one for 9.80 plus shipping. May hold out on trying to find a cheaper copy :lol:

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2019, 16:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

hippiedalek wrote:
Disasterpiece films certainly have a charm to them. Especially when you can see that there was passion behind the film before it got screwed up along the way. The Keep is another good example.

My favourite is probably Game of Death II, a movie that got screwed up all the way back in pre-production, which is probably why it's a particularly well made trainwreck.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2020, 01:58 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Only have netflix free streaming and they have the original theatrical release, haven't finished it yet so I don't know the ending but it
has the Ziest during the opera scene in the beginning.

Edit:
Need to correct this. Its Roku free streaming not netflix.
Also seems to be the 91 minute version, although I saw this at the theater along with other films from this time period I can't
remember any of it.

Do remember a lot of other bad films but not too much of this if any.
I do remember the shooting scene of the two driving in the car.

Last edited by rein-o on 14 Mar 2020, 03:38, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2020, 17:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
Only have netflix free streaming and they have the original theatrical release, haven't finished it yet so I don't know the ending but it
has the Ziest during the opera scene in the beginning.

Interesting to know. I'll have to check and see if it's on UK NetFlix too. If it helps the Full EU cut is 100 minutes, the US Cut is 91.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2020, 22:10 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I have the roku upstairs and won't be able to see if its the 91 or 100 minute version.
Had the ?Republic? begining with eagle I think that's what it was, and it looks clearly from an older pan and scan master.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2020, 02:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Ok, you guys have forced my hand.

I am off three nights next week.
Going to watch all three installments of Highlander straight away !

Cheers

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2020, 11:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
I have the roku upstairs and won't be able to see if its the 91 or 100 minute version.
Had the ?Republic? begining with eagle I think that's what it was, and it looks clearly from an older pan and scan master.

Sounds like it's the same master used for the US LD and the UK DVD, which would be the US Cut. During the opera to Zeist transition did Connor MacLeod have a voice over, something like "Yes I remember, 500 years ago on the plant Zeist...", that's unique to the US cut.

It's not on UK Netflix sadly.

Over the last year+ now I've been working on a load of fan projects to restore each version of Highlander 2 to the best quality available. I'm currently working on something pretty exciting but I won't talk about it too much here as I don't want to break any forum rules, but I've been amazed at how many people there are out there who are fascinated by this disasterpiece.

I've always loved it when films are available in different versions, and Highlander doesn't disappoint with all 6 films have at least two different versions, often more!

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2020, 16:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah I editied my post.
It is the US release and its on the Roku channel, sorry we bought the roku and I'm just used to saying netflix when we don't have netflix anymore.

About half way through watching it, can only watch about 20 minutes at a time.
Very funny and slow for me now. May sit down and watch it again straight through in the future if its still on.

PostPosted: 26 May 2020, 18:46 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Due to this topic and accidently finding this I had to pick it up.
Never thought I had anymore LDs to get but after scanning this I'm so glad I picked it up.

Thanks for all for starting this topic and adding, especially Hippiedalek for posting all the important info on this cut.

Attachment:
20200526_133450-1.jpg
20200526_133450-1.jpg [ 313.76 KiB | Viewed 3722 times ]

PostPosted: 30 May 2020, 01:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Guess you changed your mind about that then?

PostPosted: 30 May 2020, 01:47 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

takeshi666 wrote:
Guess you changed your mind about that then?

If someone is willing to pay me yes I changed my mind.

I still own it and its still in my possession so its in my collection until someone pays me :mrgreen:

Hopefully I can fix the US economy with this disc :ugeek:

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2020, 20:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Found this intriguing article about the film and cuts.

http://www.figmentfly.com/published/highlander2article.html

Page 4 of 5 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next