It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:45

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Dune (1984)
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 01:34 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I feel like talking about one of my favorite movies, David Lynch's Dune.

I saw this movie at such a young age, I think I was always able to look past its flaws. I understand when folks say they don't enjoy it, but it was so seminal for me. There is something about movies you loved as a kid and watched over and over, that they essential define your taste in movies. Certain beats in the film still give me goosebumps like the ending with Toto's wailing guitars. Yes Alia's voice over there is pretty ham-handed, but again, I never saw it as such. Or even the way the mysteries of Dune were unfolded in the movie. All very compelling to a sci-fi obsessed 8 year old.

Also the special effects are widely considered pretty naff, even by 1980s standards. But they still look better in some ways then some CGI today.

I saw the movie before I read the novels, but by 12 I fixed that. I read the first book easily every year through my teens. It truly is one of the great sci-fi reads.

And while Lynch's film will never measure up the book, it still stands as a great cult movie and one I will always enjoy.

So what do others think about the movie? Love, hate or otherwise? I always like to hear from folks who saw it in theaters. Still want to see this one on a big screen one day.

Post subject: Re: Dune (1984)
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 01:44 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I saw this when my parents rented it back in the day and never really thought much about it.
Then I was at an antique mall and picked up a very cheap hard cover early book club edition of DUNE, so its in my to read pile and has moved with me once so far :| but I do look forward to reading it.

We then saw the Jodorowsky's Dune and brought back memories of the Lynch film so I picked up the DVD that has both versions, the widescreen and the uncut TV release.
I actually though both were fine cuts, I have no idea what they are compared to the book but I'll read it one day.

Yes the sfx were not the best but still enjoyable.

I may try reading that book next, I just stated a Bran Mak Morn story which is very short.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 01:54 
Serious fan
Serious fan

The book is obviously much more fleshed out than the movie. There are some things added to the Lynch film that are not part of the novel, mainly the whole "weirding way" thing where Paul, Jessica and subsequently the Fremen can fire a projectile based on sound. That is strictly in the movie.

The novel in short adds a lot more political and ecological backstory to the world. The sequels definitely take the whole messianic bit from the original novel and turn that on its head. I always enjoyed Frank Herbert's five novels after the original Dune as its all about subverting the superhero, all powerful figure embodied in many of our fictional heroes.

My biggest criticism of the Lynch film is that it too easily slides into that trope and doesn't leave there. In that sense its not very much like the book, hence why some diehard Dune fans are not wild about the movie.

Lynch always stated that he never got final cut on the movie. I would love it if he would at least release some statement or piece detailing his original vision.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 02:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah rein-o,
Jodorosky's Dune would have been a spectacle to type the least. I WISH that version had been made !
Loved the documentary about his "DUNE"......

Lynch's version lacked a bit of realism. No freman would be caught on open sand without their jabba cloak
being worn. Having all the freman running around in battle without those cloaks made me cringe... bad !

Word on the street is another remake is in the works .......
A renowned director has been in the screenplay phase since summer of 2017.....

Stay tuned kids !

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 02:25 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I also loved the Jodorosky documentary. I am not convinced it would have been truer to the book, but I will say I don't think any film should be slavishly faithful to its source material. So in that sense I would love to have seen his version. For that matter, Ridley Scott's Dune would also be interesting. Scott was of course originally working on Dune until he dropped out due to the untimely death of his brother.

All that said, I can't think of a director working today that would be better suited to making a new Dune than Denis Villeneuve. From Sicario to Arrival to BR2049, all have been great films.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 04:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Denis is the man of the hour to be certain.......

Original, sober, physical sets, and a number of smash hit movies under his belt.
If anyone could make a "Dune" that Herbert would give his nod to, it is he !

As mentioned in several threads.....
A long held wish of mine is that someone would find the creativity and $ to bring "God Emperor of Dune" to the big screen.....
and do it RIGHT !

Denis could be that genius !

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 09:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I actually watched the movie just last week and the only major issue I had with it is how the plot sometimes fast-forwards through parts in a kind of obvious manner (Paul and Chani's love grew). Pacing isn't one of the film's strong points.

It probably would've benefit a great deal from having been longer and split into parts, but that sort of thing was inconceivable in 1984.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 10:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

firehorse_44 wrote:
A long held wish of mine is that someone would find the creativity and $ to bring "God Emperor of Dune" to the big screen.....
and do it RIGHT !

God Emperor is my favourite of the Dune sequels, I'd love to see some form of live action version. I quite enjoyed the Sci-Fi Channel mini series of Dune, though the follow up series was a disappointment. I always thought it was a shame they never did a third series that covered God Emperor.

Every time I watch Lynch's Dune I start to think it's not as bad as I remember and then they cram the last half of the book into about twenty minutes and it all falls apart.

I'd have loved to have seen Jodorosky's Dune, if only for the Dali puppet!

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 16:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The only problem I'd have with a modern adaptation is that it'd probably try to set itself apart from the 1984 movie by creating entirely new look and sound for itself - but the problem is, in terms of things like set designs, art direction and music, the David Lynch movie is really, really good.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 16:56 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

there was the miniseries of Dune which I think was more faithful but I never read the book and might never read it. I watched Dune so many times I think I burned out. I did see some of Jardosky Dune and that would have been interesting.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 17:23 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Takeshi I agree on your points regarding the design for Lynch's film. It certainly is a taste thing, but I always thought it was very well done. Most of the effects hold up too. Only a few I think come up short.

Toto's soundtrack is also excellent. So atmospheric that it helps convey the mystery and "other-ness" of Frank Herbert's world.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 17:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

takeshi666 wrote:
The only problem I'd have with a modern adaptation is that it'd probably try to set itself apart from the 1984 movie by creating entirely new look and sound for itself - but the problem is, in terms of things like set designs, art direction and music, the David Lynch movie is really, really good.

I actually preferred the design work done for the mini series; it was much more colourful and eastern like I'd imagined when reading the novel rather than the dark, drab sets of the Lynch film.

I agree though that the music and (most of) the directing are much, much stronger in the Lynch film.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 17:51 
Serious fan
Serious fan

2003's Children of Dune was certainly a step up in my opinion to the 2000 miniseries. James McAvoy was terrific as Leto II.

I am in the same boat in wanting to see a big screen adaptation of God Emperor of Dune. But as with all Dune stores, some of the many plots would need to be cut to make it into a film, unless you give it the Game of Thrones treatment.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 18:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

DUNE '84 is one of my all time favorites. like the OP, the TOTO soundtrack gives me gooseflesh like mad.

the film itself, while not quite perfect, is, nevertheless, a very, very good film indeed...

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 18:37 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Tasuke, since you live in Oregon, have you ever been to the Oregon Dunes? Apparently it was part of Herbert's inspiration.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 02:41 
Serious fan
Serious fan

So to switch gears to talk about some Dune LD releases. How does the transfer of the theatrical cut on Dune: Movie + TV (1984) [PILF-7297] compare to the transfer on Dune (1984) [43153]?

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 03:25 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

dunerider wrote:
So to switch gears to talk about some Dune LD releases. How does the transfer of the theatrical cut on Dune: Movie + TV (1984) [PILF-7297] compare to the transfer on Dune (1984) [43153]?

The image (& sound) quality is much better on the last release of DUNE on the LD format 43153 - a very good transfer. Apparently was announced as a THX disc but not mentioned on the cover - more details on the "additional information" on the disc page listing.

The Japanese release on PILF-7297 is packaged as a really nice box set but the image quality is on the feature (in my opinion) rather soft to say the least.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 03:33 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Thanks for the info. I am always torn about getting the Japanese box set. It looks like a nice set, but I have the extended edition DVD which has the longer TV cut. I guess if it was cheap enough, but the completist fan in me wants it all the same.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 08:46 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

dunerider wrote:
Thanks for the info. I am always torn about getting the Japanese box set. It looks like a nice set, but I have the extended edition DVD which has the longer TV cut. I guess if it was cheap enough, but the completist fan in me wants it all the same.

I do get that & if you can bag a cheap-ish Japanese one it is nice to handle/look at/have within a collection.

The last US LD release though is the one to watch on laserdisc, a really good transfer.

Cheers

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 17:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

dunerider wrote:
Tasuke, since you live in Oregon, have you ever been to the Oregon Dunes? Apparently it was part of Herbert's inspiration.

Nope, not once.

born in PORTLAND in 1982, my parents took me to many places in the first decade of my life,
-before we were forced to move to the opposite end of the state back around 1992-ish-
from OMSI to NEWPORT, (with it's WAX WORKS and RIPLEY's BELIEVE IT OR NOT)
from the MUSEUM OF FLIGHT in SEATTLE to WILDLIFE SAFARI in WINSTON,
and even the PORTLAND CHILDREN's MUSEUM a couple of times,
i did indeed have a pretty full childhood...

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next