LaserDisc Database
https://forum.lddb.com/

Movies you wish were on Laserdisc
https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8084
Page 6 of 6

Author:  takeshi666 [ 01 Feb 2020, 09:05 ]
Post subject:  Re: Movies you wish were on Laserdisc

Coincidentally, I just watched Return of the King the other day.

I definitely think the battle of Helm's Deep holds up better than the battle of Minas Tirith. Not just because it's less CGI and it all takes place at night so you can't easily tell, but it's far less chaotic as well. We get a good impression of the layout of the fortress and thus where the characters are and what they're doing during the battle.

Author:  deadlegion [ 01 Feb 2020, 09:23 ]
Post subject:  Re: Movies you wish were on Laserdisc

forper wrote:
2001: A Space Odyssey still looks better and more real than anything CGI. It's a 50 year old movie.


Maybe it looks real if you've experimented with a lot of drugs. It is a good movie though.

Author:  takeshi666 [ 01 Feb 2020, 10:33 ]
Post subject:  Re: Movies you wish were on Laserdisc

All I cay say for 2001 is that it wasn't until I saw it in the cinema last year I realized that the satellites at the beginning of the second act are just painted on.

Author:  gypsy [ 01 Feb 2020, 15:36 ]
Post subject:  Re: Movies you wish were on Laserdisc

Not really speaking to that movie as I haven't seen it in awhile (and the last time I did, it was on LD) just speaking to generally that even on BD many old effects are sadly very noticeable. It's not enough to ruin my enjoyment of a movie.

Author:  firehorse_44 [ 01 Feb 2020, 19:52 ]
Post subject:  Re: Movies you wish were on Laserdisc

Kubrick made that film circa 1967......
Compared to films of that time period the effects were "stellar" pun intended.

Who spends a whole afternoon throwing a bone in the air to capture it "just right" ?
STANLEY KUBRICK !

The movie gets top tier ratings in my opinion, not an easy Arthur C Clark novel to bring to the big screen.
That last release on LD in Japan is a Gem ! ! ! [PILF-2510]

2001 - 2010 are priceless to this member.......
Actually saw 2001 at the theater circa 1982..... did not understand ANY of it as a young teenager.
However 2001 at the movies did force my hand to attend the theater when 2010 was released a short time later.

Great memories.....

Cheers mates

Author:  gypsy [ 01 Feb 2020, 20:04 ]
Post subject:  Re: Movies you wish were on Laserdisc

Space Odyssey and Lawrence of Arabia both look absolutely incredible for any time, let alone when they were filmed. No doubt about it.

Author:  signofzeta [ 02 Feb 2020, 01:07 ]
Post subject:  Re: Movies you wish were on Laserdisc

When I was a kid I had a book that was “the art of 2010” or something like that and the drawings in it really blew my mind. When I eventually saw both movies later I was glad I had happened to see the book first otherwise I never would have looked for it because 2010 suuuuuuuccks.

Whereas 2001 looks like the future even now, 2010 looks like some old crap from 1984. Of course the entire style of filmmaking is completely different between the films but in theory I welcome that. If the two styles are “amazing” and “utterly average” though maybe not.

Author:  forper [ 02 Feb 2020, 01:10 ]
Post subject:  Re: Movies you wish were on Laserdisc

gypsy wrote:
Space Odyssey and Lawrence of Arabia both look absolutely incredible for any time, let alone when they were filmed. No doubt about it.


Exactly, what deadlegion said is just wrong, some effects don't age, they're perfect.

To compare good practical effects with CGI is ridiculous anyway. Good practical effects don't end up being effects, they're real, right in front of your eyes. Kubrick built a giant hamster wheel to simulate the space station and weightlessness. So when you see them walking around the station, you're actually seeing the 1:1 station interior move and by changing camera angles they're moving effortlessly on every plane. It's not really an effect, there's no way that higher resolution could "reveal" it because inside the camera lense it's all "real".

Author:  gypsy [ 02 Feb 2020, 01:25 ]
Post subject:  Re: Movies you wish were on Laserdisc

forper wrote:
gypsy wrote:
Space Odyssey and Lawrence of Arabia both look absolutely incredible for any time, let alone when they were filmed. No doubt about it.


Exactly, what deadlegion said is just wrong, some effects don't age, they're perfect.

To compare good practical effects with CGI is ridiculous anyway. Good practical effects don't end up being effects, they're real, right in front of your eyes. Kubrick built a giant hamster wheel to simulate the space station and weightlessness. So when you see them walking around the station, you're actually seeing the 1:1 station interior move and by changing camera angles they're moving effortlessly on every plane. It's not really an effect, there's no way that higher resolution could "reveal" it because inside the camera lense it's all "real".


The stuff that gets exposed usually wasn't great to begin with it's just super clear on BD. I very much prefer practical effects as well.

Author:  deadlegion [ 02 Feb 2020, 01:29 ]
Post subject:  Re: Movies you wish were on Laserdisc

I wasn't talking about set pieces like the example you described, there are even older movies that have impressive set design.
I meant models and basic visual effects from the old days, and then the evolution of CGI.

Author:  forper [ 02 Feb 2020, 06:10 ]
Post subject:  Re: Movies you wish were on Laserdisc

deadlegion wrote:
I wasn't talking about set pieces like the example you described, there are even older movies that have impressive set design.
I meant models and basic visual effects from the old days, and then the evolution of CGI.


What Kubrik did was not just set design, it was EFFECTS, it makes you believe something that isn't really happening to the actors. Any time you do this it's EFFECTS. You said all effects look worse over time. Not Kubrik, many of his effects will never date because he was a genius and didn't rely on cheap crappy computers to fill in gaps, he did everything properly, a perfectionist.

We need more perfectionists, not hacks like Peter Jackson who made one cult zombie movie in the '90s and then LOTR and is now considered a genius. Kubrik was an actual genius, Jackson is a hack in comparison and Jackson's effects, practical and CGI WILL date because he was lazy compared to someone like Kubrik.

Admit it, some effects will never date.

Author:  deadlegion [ 02 Feb 2020, 07:25 ]
Post subject:  Re: Movies you wish were on Laserdisc

I'm not defending Jackson or CGI at all.
2001 is a great movie but you can see some dated effects there, nothing you can really do about that except maybe swap in some enhancements (I could give examples of that but I'm sure most members are aware of many anyway) but then it isn't the original film anymore.

I like watching old movies and tv shows, but I also don't mind some newer stuff.
You're problem is that you simply write off everything new as being s**t even if you haven't bothered watching it.

Author:  rein-o [ 02 Feb 2020, 16:55 ]
Post subject:  Re: Movies you wish were on Laserdisc

I sort of wish I were smart enough to write off the newer crap.
Finished watching Avengers Gauntlet and End Game, wow I really wish I hadn't.

I feel like that rule about insanity with films, if I keep watching these new films and expect them to get better but they don't :(

Author:  gypsy [ 02 Feb 2020, 17:04 ]
Post subject:  Re: Movies you wish were on Laserdisc

There are good modern movies, they just aren't Marvel movies.

Author:  snipesbackhand [ 02 Feb 2020, 23:34 ]
Post subject:  Re: Movies you wish were on Laserdisc

forper wrote:
We need more perfectionists, not hacks like Peter Jackson who made one cult zombie movie in the '90s and then LOTR and is now considered a genius. Kubrik was an actual genius, Jackson is a hack in comparison and Jackson's effects, practical and CGI WILL date because he was lazy compared to someone like Kubrik.

Not to butt in...I'm going to defend The Frighteners, which I haven't fully seen in ages but I believe used CGI and certainly belongs to Peter Jackson: it still looks great. Never was much of a movie--of Jackson's oeuvre only Heavenly Creatures ever managed to be decent and it's straightforward as they come--but the fx are still slick for fifteen minutes till you turn it off. (that's all I've been able to revisit it).

Kubrick vs Jackson is a pretty retarded soapbox, it's like beating a cripple with a stick. LotR looks terrible now because it always looked terrible because it was made without imagination or practical talent.

Author:  gypsy [ 04 Feb 2020, 21:59 ]
Post subject:  Re: Movies you wish were on Laserdisc

Millenium Actress and Paprika.

Author:  takeshi666 [ 04 Feb 2020, 22:49 ]
Post subject:  Re: Movies you wish were on Laserdisc

Rankin-Bass Hobbit and Return of the King.

Author:  pokefraker [ 05 Feb 2020, 11:43 ]
Post subject:  Re: Movies you wish were on Laserdisc

takeshi666 wrote:
Rankin-Bass Hobbit and Return of the King.


Still trying to find a decently cheap copy of LOTR on LD, I have the Blu-ray already and it's stellar.

Author:  benmbe [ 08 Feb 2020, 23:38 ]
Post subject:  Re: Movies you wish were on Laserdisc

Lord of the rings 1,2 & 3
Special editions and extended version box sets would have been amazing

AC-3 Dolby Digital
DTS ES

The box sets of these ''There are no words to describe how good these would have been''

Kind Regards

:thumbup: :wave:

Author:  therussian [ 09 Feb 2020, 20:30 ]
Post subject:  Re: Movies you wish were on Laserdisc

Attack of the clones
Revenge of the Sith
Spider-man
Lost in Translation
AliG indahouse

Page 6 of 6 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/