It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:31

Page 8 of 13 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: How many more years before physical media is dead?
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 15:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

deadlegion wrote:
long post

Appreciate the insight into a different world.

takeshi666 wrote:
The internet in the USA is pretty horrible too in a lot of places. I always hear about people exceeding their bandwidth caps and with stuff like streaming becoming increasingly prevalent, I don't understand how they expect that to work out. I live in Finland and despite being relatively sparsely populated, I think most everyone here can get pretty good internet speeds, except maybe somewhere up in Lappland, and apart from some mobile connections, I don't think any of our ISPs have monthly usage limits.

I had a joke worthy bandwidth cap until just a few years ago. At the time the only options were that or dial-up so the satellite companies knew they had us by the balls. I have some kind of over the air internet now. I don't exactly remembered the mentioned speed but I never get it anyway. They are careful to say up to and I'm on the cheapest plan because it's good enough for what I want to do and the next step up is another $240 a year. Their website is funny: https://www3.mercurywireless.com/residential-service/ I stream plenty of video on the basic package and it's fine. :lol:

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 15:54 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I live in a college town and I pay $$$ to the monopoly for cable. I have no idea what my speed is but I can easily stream multiple services at once. I never have speed issues and there is no cap. I do have outages and the need to reset my modem once in a while. To really kill this connection on a good day I’d have to be torrenting something super popular at max speed while watching 4K Netflix on the Sony, HD Netflix on the Samsung, and YouTube on my phone.

With few exceptions, in USA 2019 if you have crap internet it’s probably because you’re broke or else bought largest house on the largest piece of land possible for as little money as possible and that likely means you live in the middle of nowhere and bad internet is probably not your only self inflicted problem. You need to drive an hour to the hospital, you spend $300 month on gasoline, you don’t have proper sewers, etc, of course the Internet sucks. There are benefits to living more closely with other humans, like having a fire department less than 20 miles away or a school.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 16:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

If I could get cable I definitely would. I'm 5 miles away from a city of over 120k so I don't have those other problems.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 16:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I live in a small country town and we have our own police station and a fire station :lol:
We have sewage but no gas lines (I wouldn't use that anyway, I prefer wood heaters).
Power rarely goes out but when it does it's summer bushfire season and it might be down for like 3 hours max (very rare).

I'm about 20kms from a city of 100k people.

The problem is that telco infrastructure in this country is complete bs. Best connection option for me is via a wireless tower and that gets congestion problems afaik (usually after dinner, when kids are raping it), and it isn't cheap. I keep resisting it but eventually I'll have to change to it adsl is just terrible now.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 16:16 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
With few exceptions, in USA 2019 if you have crap internet it’s probably because you’re broke or else bought largest house on the largest piece of land possible for as little money as possible and that likely means you live in the middle of nowhere and bad internet is probably not your only self inflicted problem. You need to drive an hour to the hospital, you spend $300 month on gasoline, you don’t have proper sewers, etc, of course the Internet sucks. There are benefits to living more closely with other humans, like having a fire department less than 20 miles away or a school.

Hey, hospitals are new in town so we only have to drive 5 minutes.
30 min for Lowes and Home Depot and 30 minutes to the beach.

While we do have proper sewer and water, they actually have garbage trucks to empty your cans.

We also have proper internet but there are places in this country that don't, that's for sure.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do for whatever reasons you have.
I'm just amazed that there is a separation of this country that others can't even begin to realize unless you visit or live in these areas.

Without channelmaster we would only get 3 OTA stations. I had to buy a lot of antennas before we got our 9 OTA stations now :wtf:

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2019, 22:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

My internet is 4G tethered to my laptop from my phone. $50 a month for 20 gb/calls/voicemail/text all inclusive. It doesn't interest me to spend more time on the internet. I check email, lddb, a couple of other forums and do shopping. Hardly ever check youtube, don't use social media, I get a couple of podcasts a month. Definitely don't stream or download any media. Every minute off the internet is good imo. I mostly build models, watch LDs and listen to music. More about less. Piracy gives you mile wide choice and inch deep appreciation. It's better to be limited by finance, study up on what you really love and acquire it. More about Less. It's been my philosophy for a while, I need to increase its application though, I still have too many hobbies.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2019, 11:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Pretty sure I'm only using 3g on my phone atm (whatever, it works) but I only spend $30 on it every 4-6 months, I have gone longer than that though. It's prepaid and no data (I have no urgent need for net on my phone).

My internet at home is dreadfully slow but unlimited data, I usually dl at around 100GB per month now but sometimes more depending on what's going on, costing myself about $15 per month, I'm not paying for the whole thing...
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I run a physical lan across two properties.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2020, 16:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

So to the surprise of no one Disney is heavily censoring their movies on Disney Plus.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2020, 16:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Which ones?

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2020, 17:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Really?

Please let us know which ones & if you know what is being censored/cut from them?

Thanks

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2020, 17:48 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I heard they censored Spash, which is a 40 year old kids movie. Also they accidentally letterboxed all of The Simpsons which f-s it up pretty bad. In a strange twist they are going to actually fix Simpsons. That’s at least somewhat encouraging.

When Apple introduced iTunes Match there were censorship problems. iTunes Match is a service that basically streams you your own music collection. What absolutely *sucked* about this service in the beginning is that if it was going to stream a song iTunes has a “clean” version of they would always send you the clean one.

Now the problem here is hiphop. There is a lot of swearing in hiphop so labels usually make a “clean” version for terrestrial radio play. It you have heard an American radio station that plays terrible mainstream rap during the day you’re used to all sorts of beeping. There’s so much beeping in a lot of foul mouthed hiphop tracks that it’s impossible to even know what they are talking about unless you have a non-censored copy at home.

So here I am listening to tracks I own on CD with a storm of beeping added. Absolute torture, impossible to tolerate, and the only version if you use iTunes Match. What’s insane is that NOBODY BUYS CLEAN VERSIONS. They don’t even press and sell clean versions of hiphop records usually. They only make them as DJ promos (that nobody plays).

Hiphop is like Country in that %99.99 of it is utter crap made for morons with just a teeny amount of the good stuff and that good stuff is never ever on the radio (unless it’s a listener supported station like WCBN or WFMU). iTunes Match was the only way to hear a censored version of a song from Doomtree or Saul Williams or later period Gift of Gab.

But, you know, do you think Steve Jobs and Johnny Ive and those guys listen to DIY hiphop? Of course not. The same four Beatles and Crosby records they’ve been listening to since they were 16 were never censored in the first place. So people do get left out. I imagine something like that will happen over and over and over with a company that has as much stuff laying around as Disney does.

It doesn’t make a lot of sense to censor s**t nobody paying for the service wants censored. Especially when you still stream uncut versions of dumb violent superhero/Star Wars garbage. I can see parents wanting something that cuts off at PG-13 but why the hell isn’t that optional?

Apple eventually fixed iTunes Match but not with an option, they just stopped serving the Clean versions.

Last edited by signofzeta on 18 Apr 2020, 18:49, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2020, 18:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Just done a quick search & looks like a hell of an amount of stuff is messed with.

As an example.....

The Simpsons
In addition to dropping the Jackson episode, Simpsons fans are incensed that even though Disney promised to make the earlier episodes available in their native 4:3 aspect ratio, they instead dumped them in a cropped 16:9 format. The cropping has cut some of the visual jokes.

Also the buttocks of Daryl Hannah in Splash!?!

Rather pathetic.

Another good reason to hold onto your "hard media" material :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2020, 19:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The omission of the MJ episode was dumb too.

Also they probably censored Splash because Brie Larson had butt envy :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2020, 21:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I suppose Song Of The South making an appearance on D+ any time soon is wishful thinking then? :silent:

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2020, 21:47 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

teddanson wrote:
I suppose Song Of The South making an appearance on D+ any time soon is wishful thinking then? :silent:

Definitely don't hold your breath.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2020, 23:34 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I will say something nice about the service. It’s a great way to watch a lot of good Disney animation that’s sometimes hard to find, like shorts or 60s live action stuff, and it’s in very high quality. The other 100,000 million things I don’t really care much about. It’s no substitute for discs though. They only offer so much at a time so I may have more Disney cartoons on disc than they offer at once for streaming and I’m not a completist by any means so that’s sorta sad. You still have to pay attention to when stuff is “on” which is something I’m never going to do.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2020, 00:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It was covered but Splash seems to be the new one. I saw others mentioned like Lilo and Stitch, Goofy Movie etc but I assume those are the same old censors we've had since just after the earliest releases.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2020, 02:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I think Splash informed my taste in butts for life..

Zeta - why are YOU listening to streaming, especially if it's censored?? Get out your hip hop CDs, rip them to your own server. Or download stuff like Black Own Radio. It's one of the podcasts I regularly download. Basically Black Supremecist angle but always a good selection of uncensored music in between the kill whitey diatribes..

Last edited by Anonymous on 11 Jun 2020, 11:32, edited 1 time in total. _________________
SONY MDP-355GX, DVDO iscan VP50, SONY KVHR-M36

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2020, 04:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Going by this early list I'm tempted to cancel.

https://www.newsweek.com/disney-plus-ce ... ed-1498006

$12.99 a month is a good deal though for D+, Hulu and ESPN+.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2020, 14:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i'll continue to take care of my own "Streaming" thanks kindly;

Page 8 of 13 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next