It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:05

Page 6 of 13 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: How many more years before physical media is dead?
PostPosted: 03 May 2019, 17:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I was so looking forward to the original series of MacGyver to be released in high definition on Blu-ray. I got the first season and according to Blu-ray.com it has some artifact problems on a couple of episodes that isn't officially acknownledged by anyone at CBS, but may be because of the video compression.
While it is about an half a year ago since the release of season 1, I doubt we will see the rest of the seasons. It could be low sales and not enough marketing. Why give us only season 1 and then call it a day? :thumbdown:

I could be wrong, maybe there are future plans for a complete set, but seeing the loss in physical media sales and the support for it makes me sad we won't see it.

PostPosted: 03 May 2019, 18:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

There will always be so much content that will never make it to the new formats due to lack of interest - the interest is there, but it's not enough to justify the expense of mass-production.

The other day I learned that all the Land Before Time movies, barring at least one of them being just an upscale, are available in HD...on the Amazon streaming service. Even with the compression they look so much better than existing DVDs but I doubt Universal wants to spend the money to release any of them on blu-ray, except for the first one.

PostPosted: 05 May 2019, 01:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

MacGuyver? Really? You can't find something better to spend your cash on?

PostPosted: 05 May 2019, 02:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:

Hey, it's got Richard Dean Anderson in it.

Actually had a dream about him once. I think he was trying to molest me or something so I chopped him in half with a katana. It was a strange dream.

PostPosted: 05 May 2019, 03:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

MacGuyver is really no different than most shows from that era. 80s/90s television definitely has its warts. TV series in general are tremendously better now and it's been this way for about 13 or so years we are in a quality golden age.

Sucks it won't be on BD for those that want it but with the source material being what it is, honestly the dvds are not that bad.

PostPosted: 05 May 2019, 04:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

takeshi666 wrote:
forper wrote:

Hey, it's got Richard Dean Anderson in it.

Actually had a dream about him once. I think he was trying to molest me or something so I chopped him in half with a katana. It was a strange dream.

TMI :silent:

PostPosted: 05 May 2019, 07:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
MacGuyver is really no different than most shows from that era. 80s/90s television definitely has its warts. TV series in general are tremendously better now and it's been this way for about 13 or so years we are in a quality golden age.

I keep hearing this but I just see TV as a gimmick hook of the week formula now. TV now is completely unrewatchable.

PostPosted: 05 May 2019, 15:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I don't care to get into a big debate about this. I will add though that TV storytelling to me is better than ever. I don't see as much x of the week as there used to be. Mind you I don't watch shows on network television. Just high quality cable and online stuff. Network TV is definitely mostly drek (are they still airing some NCIS CSI variant? lol).

PostPosted: 05 May 2019, 16:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I was at a record store the other week and pondering when people might fall in love with CD's again. Could happen, afterall...

PostPosted: 05 May 2019, 16:58 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

happycube wrote:
I was at a record store the other week and pondering when people might fall in love with CD's again. Could happen, afterall...

I've never lost the love, if its on CD and Vinyl I'll always go for the CD.
It has a full range of audio which is not physically possible on this world with vinyl.

And some of these first gen CDs are actually mastered directly from the original analog master tapes to CD.
So in all reality you are better off buying those first gens than these 180 gram POS that have been digitally mastered before
being pressed to vinyl.

PostPosted: 05 May 2019, 17:08 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

gypsy wrote:

Sucks it won't be on BD for those that want it but with the source material being what it is, honestly the dvds are not that bad.

Well, the source material is actually far better than the quality we have been used to for years. This is a complete remastering of the original series from the elements. Yes, it is no different than most shows of that era, shot on film - edited together on tape, but many people have been eagerly waiting for it to be done. For years there has been the same speculating rumors of the source material being lost, destroyed, etc. as with other shows that got this kind of treatment.
This thread raises the question about how many more years before physical media is dead, and seeing that they are already beginning to pull the plug after releasing only one season, makes me worry.
It would have been much more fair to the public to release a sampler, similar to the Star Trek TNG, of what to expect and then decide if or when.
Anyways, MacGyver will get remastered, with or without a complete Blu-ray release.

PostPosted: 05 May 2019, 17:23 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

gypsy wrote:
I don't care to get into a big debate about this. I will add though that TV storytelling to me is better than ever. I don't see as much x of the week as there used to be. Mind you I don't watch shows on network television. Just high quality cable and online stuff. Network TV is definitely mostly drek (are they still airing some NCIS CSI variant? lol).

That’s what critics say but critics watch TV all day so I can’t trust their opinion. A) it’s their job and B) they are as addicted to the crap as anyone else.

I’ve always liked TV but never really thought of it as anything but flawed, even my favorite shows. They all have a extreme styling bordering on Kabuki it’s so rigid and unreal, we just can’t see it so easily because we’ve been wholly immersed in it for generations.

The issue nowadays is that all the shows everyone says are the best ever are totally incompatible with me. The hyper cliches are just as bad as anything, Dick Van Dyke or Dukes of Hazzard or All in the Family. All that crap is still there it’s just SUPER violent so you think it’s somehow advanced. I can still tell what’s going to happen next and what people are going to say before they say it it’s just that instead of “bang you’re dead” it’s someone getting beheaded in front of their mother or suddenly hit by a 200mph bus and knocked out of frame or some other BS I’ve seen 100 times before. On top of that...the sound design trends of movies have leaked into TV now that they have the means and I hate that too. Knife sharpening sounds whatever a knife is visible or moves or is used. Guns all make a ROAR of dozens of clicking shicking and shichuckchicking sounds whoever they are pointed, cocked, loaded, looked at, or anything else. (For people in non-gun-nut countries you may be surprised that guns don’t make noise unless you do something. They don’t usually constantly make noise whenever you point a camera at them. When pointing a gun the thing that should make any noise at all is a strap if you are using one otherwise the gun has all its fasteners loose and is going to explode if you fire it. Guns are loud when they fire or are dropped on a hard floor but when pointed, like knives, swords, etc make zero sound.)

Adding sex and violence to The Equalizer still just gives you The Equalizer. It doesn’t get better, especially when the TV dial still revolves around cops lawyer and doctors. The comedies seem to all be written for sports bars.

Some recent shows I’ve seen that I liked:

Toast of London (comedian based but wilder than usual)
Lady Dynamite (comedian based but wilder than usual)
Trailer Park Boys (now over the hill but the early stuff was occasionally brilliant)
The Detectorists (new favorite, very vanilla show, but one of the most realistic I’ve ever seen.)

These are all comedies. I have an aversion to violence. I’ve seen too much of it already and I don’t really need much more as long as a live. This makes it hard to watch any cop show since they are mainly autopsies or acts of horrendous violence when they aren’t straight up worshiping murder like Dexter or some of Netflix’s current output. I did like Homocide: Life on the Street but that was 25 years ago.

My girlfriend watches some of the stuff I like but she also will sit through a 24 hour marathon of “I Ate My Own Head” season 5 which I couldn’t stand 30 seconds of and she loves any show where there is a man and a woman who bicker and unrealistic speeds, never taking a second to pause or think about anything. That reminds me, Alan Sorkin absolutely SUCKS. It isn’t just Studio 60, it’s everything he ever did. People accept that Studio 60 was naff because every comedian on earth showed them it sucked. Shows that aren’t about comedians didn’t get the same roasting but %100 deserved it. No newsman is going to tell you The Newsroom was BS because he loved how much smoke it blew up is own a** while watching it.

When it comes to cartoons I can’t really argue. Stephen Universe and Regular show are about 1000 better than any Hanna Barbara or Filmation stuff. Sure, the animation itself seems to be either limited or intentionally bad as if by policy making stuff like Galaxy High vastly superior from a drawing perspective but today’s overall shows are so much better.

Similarly, modern science has made possible things like those xxx Planet shows which blow my mind every time I see them.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 05 May 2019, 17:25 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

laserpaal wrote:
gypsy wrote:

Well, the source material is actually far better than the quality we have been used to for years. This is a complete remastering of the original series from the elements. Yes, it is no different than most shows of that era, shot on film - edited together on tape, but many people have been eagerly waiting for it to be done. For years there has been the same speculating rumors of the source material being lost, destroyed, etc. as with other shows that got this kind of treatment.
This thread raises the question about how many more years before physical media is dead, and seeing that they are already beginning to pull the plug after releasing only one season, makes me worry.
It would have been much more fair to the public to release a sampler, similar to the Star Trek TNG, of what to expect and then decide if or when.
Anyways, MacGyver will get remastered, with or without a complete Blu-ray release.

I can think of several shows that were abandoned on VHS, LD, and DVD, even in the Japanese market. It’s probably more to do with the fact that MacGyver fans are dying off.

PostPosted: 05 May 2019, 17:39 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

This is an interesting question because vinyl seems to be have made a small comeback and for few years now. I still buy new releases on CD when I can (we have a really good indie shop here in Denver that still carries everything) and I picked up a Cambridge Audio CXUHD (which uses teh Oppo engine) player a few months back to have 4K UHD. I still use my 1985 Sony CDP302 CD player (that I got new back in the day) here at my desk.

None of us can say if or when physical media will actually stop being produced. Streaming is so popular right now that I can see why studios would not want to spend the money on it. Everyone has some kind of streaming offer and even the physical media you buy now have digital copies on Movies Anywhere or others.

Only time will tell. All I can say is that I will still be watching my favorite movies on my trusty physical media when the internet is down ...

Now get off my lawn! :) :) :)

PostPosted: 05 May 2019, 20:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

There is a lot of money behind Star Trek. It's a hugely popular and almost timeless franchise. It took a lot of work and the original price point was very high.

@Zeta: I don't watch cop shows, but I get your point. I tend to lean towards sci-fi and sometimes fantasy.

PostPosted: 05 May 2019, 20:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I think television's real golden age was the 90's.

PostPosted: 05 May 2019, 22:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

How many more years before physical media is dead?

Might be a while but on a UK TV show where new products were being given a consumer test run one product featured (a piece of exercise equipment) came with an instructional DVD. The younger couple among the testers on the show, late teens/early twenties, stated "oh a DVD..... might have to go to my grans to watch this" & they were not kidding. The product producers noted that & commented that perhaps the streaming or app route or the like was the way to go & it would be more cost effective for them also even though the DVD did not cost much to produce

I cannot think of the last time my son, who is now 25, bought any physical media of any kind except when buying blu-rays or DVDs as gifts for me at Christmas.

A while till they go but perhaps inevitable.

Cheers

PostPosted: 06 May 2019, 00:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Perhaps it will never completely die out ........
Is that possible ?

I mean as long as we still use our eyes for visual entertainment.
Can see streaming media right into the neocortex not too far down the road......

Time will answer the query to be certain

PostPosted: 06 May 2019, 01:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Who knows, maybe we'll see a golden age of boutique labels that are the only ones putting out physical releases because the major studios are too busy with their heads up their butts about streaming.

PostPosted: 06 May 2019, 16:28 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

So like Laserdisc in 1985. I’m fine with that.

Page 6 of 13 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next