It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:21

Page 13 of 13 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: How many more years before physical media is dead?
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2020, 19:02 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I've been buying MORE discs recently. Here' show that happened:

I used to buy a handful of movies per month, at the video store, the previously viewed ones. It was a family ritual, my kids and i would go down there, and pick out 3 or 4 or whatever the sale was, once a month or so. Then streaming started, and that slowed down. For a while, i didn't buy anything. I would just go on to netflix and watch it.

However, as more and more streaming services come online, the movies on netflix have plummeted (not counting netflix original content). I made the mistake of watching a movie on Hulu, and it ended up being the "edited for TV version", so hulu is out for movies for me. I have netflix, prime, and hulu. I am not going to get any more streaming services. I may not continue hulu at all. I'll keep prime, because i use that for the shipping, and prime video is just a perk. On Amazon prime, most times i go to watch something, they want to charge me (e.g. that particular movie isn't included in prime). So then i am in this position to pay amazon $10 to rent the HD, or $15-$20 to buy the bluray. I buy it. I recently bought "once upon a time in hollywood" and the downton abbey movie. This is seeming like an upward trend for me.

TL;DR: with the split up of the streaming into all these disparate services (so content being spread out among them), i'm now back to the point where buying the movie physically, seems more appealing than paying for a subscription to 20 different streaming services.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2020, 20:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

While I haven't paid for any streaming services and won't.
I do have to say the free Roku, Tubi, Pluto and a few others are great, they really help me in deciding to buy something or seeing if its out there
available rather than spend a high price on an LD or DVD, if its streaming I know that something else will come from that master
and I should pay less if I do decide to buy a film on a format.

We have 2 roku units, one upstairs and one downstairs, the free content is great, if I do come across an edited film I just watch it and
decide if I need to own it.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2020, 08:39 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

9954tony wrote:
I've been buying MORE discs recently. Here' show that happened:

I used to buy a handful of movies per month, at the video store, the previously viewed ones. It was a family ritual, my kids and i would go down there, and pick out 3 or 4 or whatever the sale was, once a month or so. Then streaming started, and that slowed down. For a while, i didn't buy anything. I would just go on to netflix and watch it.

However, as more and more streaming services come online, the movies on netflix have plummeted (not counting netflix original content). I made the mistake of watching a movie on Hulu, and it ended up being the "edited for TV version", so hulu is out for movies for me. I have netflix, prime, and hulu. I am not going to get any more streaming services. I may not continue hulu at all. I'll keep prime, because i use that for the shipping, and prime video is just a perk. On Amazon prime, most times i go to watch something, they want to charge me (e.g. that particular movie isn't included in prime). So then i am in this position to pay amazon $10 to rent the HD, or $15-$20 to buy the bluray. I buy it. I recently bought "once upon a time in hollywood" and the downton abbey movie. This is seeming like an upward trend for me.

TL;DR: with the split up of the streaming into all these disparate services (so content being spread out among them), i'm now back to the point where buying the movie physically, seems more appealing than paying for a subscription to 20 different streaming services.

Yes, what is really annoying with many streaming services is that films will simply disappear.

For instance, since The Thin Red Line is my favourite film of all times I frequently watched it via Netflix because there are so many brilliant scenes in it that I do not get tired of watching again and again. Then the film simply disappeared and that sucks. I have the Criterion Blu Ray but it simply isn't that convenient.

I have Prime too but I mostly use it for the shipping part. Amazon Prime in Germany is not that great. The problem is that many films do not have English audio and almost never have English subtitles. I rarely use it but I enjoyed the first season of the Amazon exclusive series The Terror.

I would never pay a single $ for Apple+ because it is too expensive for so little contents. I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+. I have already watched a couple of nice and lesser known films on Disney+ incl. this one two days ago: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089385/?r ... flmg_act_8

I enjoyed this film a great deal ( picture quality was excellent ) and it also had the tall black dude from The Shining in it which I thought was nice as I hadn't seen him in anything else.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2020, 23:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Came across some more rumour material about True Lies and The Abyss 4k whilst reading about something else (I'll get to that at the end of this post).

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1144818-disney-reportedly-halts-production-of-4k-physical-home-media

Disney halting production of 4k physical media, probably to concentrate on padding out it's streaming service.
So if true that will probably include Fox stuff...
Quote:
The news may come as a bit of a shock to fans of collecting physical media, especially given the entire 20th Century Fox library will not be giving new 4K releases as many of them have yet to receive one, namely classics such as Fight Club, The French Connection, and Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. Sources do suggest, however, that Disney may offer the licenses to its “less-demanded” catalogue titles to indie distribution companies such as Criterion, Arrow or Shout! Factory.

And then this caught my eye:
Quote:
Despite this, however, the studio is eying potential 4K issues of James Cameron’s Aliens, Avatar, True Lies and The Abyss given the filmmaker is currently working on sequels to the sci-fi adventure franchise for Disney, for which the House of Mouse is investing $1 billion across four films.

Maybe some people here have already read this as the page I linked to above is dated 10th August 2020.

Anyway, I came across this because I was reading about El Topo 4k restoration, as part of Alejandro Jodorowsky 4K Restoration Collection.
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1138335-abkco-unveils-alejandro-jodorowsky-4k-restoration-collection

Quote:
At the age of 91, Jodorowsky is as relevant as he’s ever been. In addition to completing  Psychomagic, A Healing Art, he supervised the color correction of the 4K restorations of his essential films using the original 35mm elements, with stunning and vibrant results. El Topo is presented in 1:33 aspect ratio as it was shown in theaters in 1970. It is also available for the first time in 1.85:1 widescreen. Jodorowsky originally envisioned the film with this aspect ratio as an homage to Sergio Leone, and a half century later, that dream has finally been fulfilled.

Page 13 of 13 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13