It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 08:13

Page 68 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2021, 09:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Picked up Wilt on a random Blu buy a few weeks ago. This is a film I remember seeing in video shops back when it was released in 1989. It was always there in the background, hovering around, and I just never bothered with it.

What an idiot I was for ignoring Wilt.

This film is hilarious! Very much dry, and in places a bit dated/non-PC humour. Wilt is the story of a school teacher who's wife goes missing and the police are convinced he has murdered her. It's up to Henry Wilt to prove he is innocent!

It seems that Wilt falls in to that black hole category of sorely overlooked and forgotten films. Network Films have brought Wilt to Blu Ray for the first time ever with their own scan from a 35mm interpositive (I presume LWT lost or destroyed the original negatives?). Network state on the sleeve notes that they restored the film as best they could but that some damage remains. It's actually a good scan and the damage isn't that bad. The best thing is the film is in it's proper aspect ratio for the first time since it's theatrical release.

The Blu itself is really nice. You get a great sleeve which has all the lobby cards and posters printed on the reverse. Also you get a nice booklet that looks like a replica of a promotional pamphlet perhaps handed out at original screenings back in 1989.

The disc has the film but also lots of nice extras. Interviews, featurettes, trailers and also a great behind the scenes recording on location. There's also an excerpt from an old film show hosted by Tony Slattery that talks about the film.

Overall a great film, great extras and a great package. I love Wilt. I'll watch this film many more times certainly. Great fun!

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2021, 13:13 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

therussian wrote:
American Pie on Laserdisc. The picture quality is brilliant and AC3 track is solid as a rock.

I don't like this film since my youth. I don't know why, but I didn't like the humor.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2021, 15:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Watched Rome Armed To The Teeth last night, aka The Tough Ones, aka Assault With A Deadly Weapon, aka Brutal Justice aka Die Viper, aka ahhhh fahgettaboudit! :crazy:

Umberto Lenzi's high octane crime entry that sent the Poliziotteschi genre kicking and screaming all the way to dominating Italian cinema in the 1970's. Yes, other notable entries came before this film, but it was Rome Armed To The Teeth that was supposedly the catalyst that sent the genre in to maximum overdrive. It would also spawn a sequel, The Cynic, The Rat and The Fist which is a fantastic film and available on 88 Films Blu also directed by Lenzi (and in my opinion the better film). You get the two big heavyweight lads here headlining too in Thomas Milian and Maurizio Merli. They would go on to grace a number of these genre films with Merli making an entire career of it, just take a look at his filmography!

Merli plays a gungho cop who is permanently pissed off for the whole film. He's after a gang leader with a hunchback at the top of the tree of a crime wave sweeping Rome. Stand in the way of our hero and he'll kick your head in!

That's essentially the plot for Rome Armed To The Teeth, although it's somewhat disjointed in it's execution as Merli moves from criminal to criminal, working his way up the ladder to get the final boss. The constant jump from lead to lead made the film feel more processional than it perhaps should have, and in my opinion it suffers a little for it. It's not quite so paint by numbers with The Cynic, The Rat and The Fist but with this film the cracks do tend to show and it wobbles a little on the way to the climax scene; which is saved by being being brilliant.

There is a lot to love about the film though. The opening credits, driving through the streets of Rome, over the shoulder guerilla film style are a wonder and complemented by one of the best soundtracks of any film. It's a good job with the Grindhouse Blu Ray you get the soundtrack thrown in on a third disc! Rome Armed To The Teeth is very much an appealing film both on visuals and with regards the soundtrack. Lots of car chases (and some amazing early 1970's Alfa Romeo Alfetta's, Ferrari Dino's and more pootling around corners at breakneck speeds), shootouts, fisticuffs, scowls and more combine to form a veritable 1970's Italian crime film cocktail fiesta!

A few notes on the disc though which you might want to take heed of, especially if you are planning to watch this film. From what I understand the Grindhouse Blu Ray is the best version available to date. I'm not sure what source was used but I'm inclined to think it's from a 35mm print from outside the USA. The reason being that the Aquarius release that would have likely hit New York first (as Aquarius was based there) is missing the opening 10 minutes and also has a rake of changes made to it. All of this is present on the Grindhouse release, which does state it is the full, uncut and original version of the film.

That is to be lauded because as far as I am aware there is only one surviving 35mm print of the film in existence, in South Africa. My guess is this is the print that was used. It has to be because another one doesn't exist. Sadly though it does have a couple of errors in it, mainly around the audio where it seems to wobble and lose time for a split second. I would imagine this is due to damage from old age of the film stock. It only happens on a couple of occasions though and considering you won't find another print I think that's alright to live with and doesn't ruin the film anyway.

With the aforementioned in mind I would strongly advise going with the Grindhouse Blu Ray of The Tough Ones if you want the full, original and untouched film in the best possible quality. Be careful of any other releases as you may end up with the butchered Aquarius version. It's not worth it. Plus you won't get that sensational soundtrack CD either!

In essence, Rome Armed To The Teeth (aka INSERTRETITLEDNAMEHERE) is a great little film however I don't think it quite lives up to the reputation it's garnered over the years. Don't get me wrong, it's a good film, and I imagine when it landed in cinemas back in the mid 1970's it caused quite the stir. But better films followed it and more importantly (in my opinion) bettered it. It is a landmark film though and for that I think it's an essential addition to any film collection. Just make sure you get the Grindhouse Blu Ray version to be sure you have the right one.

Now, when are Raro USA going to hurry up and release Napoli la Camorra Sfida la Città' Risponde? Christ on a bike THAT is some film! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2021, 07:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just viewed the U.S. domestic LaserDisc BLADE w/ Snipes & Kristofferson.....
Nothing like that intro cameo with Traci Lords.....

Cheers to the membership

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2021, 02:10 
True fan
True fan

Currently watching Fast 9.

:? :?

I am not sure if I ever watched a more dumb movie. And the worst part is they are all acting like they taking it seriously and the movie is very serious and stuff.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2021, 04:10 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

teddanson wrote:

What an idiot I was for ignoring Wilt.

This film is hilarious! Very much dry, and in places a bit dated/non-PC humour. Wilt is the story of a school teacher who's wife goes missing and the police are convinced he has murdered her. It's up to Henry Wilt to prove he is innocent!

Its late and I'm tired and doing a fast post.

I've never seen Wilt but now want to.
From that poster it has the same two guys that were in Morons from Outer Space.
The one thinner guy was the director and actor in that or in other films and I guess this is one of them, or was it writer :think:

Anyway Want to track it down now, thx ted.
Some of your films are misses but some are hits for me. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2021, 07:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
I've never seen Wilt but now want to.
From that poster it has the same two guys that were in Morons from Outer Space.
The one thinner guy was the director and actor in that or in other films and I guess this is one of them, or was it writer :think:

Anyway Want to track it down now, thx ted.
Some of your films are misses but some are hits for me. :thumbup:

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/33525- ... uter-space

Yep, Mel Smith (rip) and Griff Rhys Jones! Those of a certain vintage will remember them from the Wispa adverts too. I may be wrong but I think Mel Smith did the Trebor XXX mints adverts too?

Wilt reminded me a bit of the brilliant John Cleese film Clockwork in it's style. Both feature Norwich heavily too coincidentally. It's very British in terms of humour so may not work for everyone.

Definitely sniff out the Blu to watch it the best possible way. I hope you enjoy the film. Sure if we all liked the same things it would be a very boring world! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2021, 17:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Queen: We Are the Champions - Final Live in Japan

Fantastic concert! Audio quality of the LD is quite nice too.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2021, 11:22 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

watched Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx
slowly watching these but they are nice.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2021, 18:54 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I watched Monster Hunter last night on Kaleidescape in 4K. I am not familiar with the games but I thought the film was very enjoyable. Tony Jaa was great. The CGI effects were convincing. They killed off some of the enjoyable characters very early on. Maybe it was supposed to be that way. The overall story is mediocre to fine at best but it is a fine action movie with good visuals(good CGI), good fight scenes (Tony Jaa) and enjoyable enough story (Ok a little stupid too). The 4K video was stellar, no issues what so ever. The Kaleidescape download was 53GB which I believe matches the 4K disc so I expect the video on the 4K disc to be just as good. I only have a 3.0 ch audio setup so I can’t comment on the Dolby Atmos soundtrack other than the front soundstage which was excellent as well. The film doesn’t have a lot of dialog but it was very clear. No memorable music scores for this film. I would say it is a poor one in that aspect. So the soundtrack is just ambient sound and effects only.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2021, 19:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

xtempo wrote:

I enjoyed this series. You can tell the source material is manga. Basically just some fun action.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2021, 16:25 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

gypsy wrote:
xtempo wrote:

I enjoyed this series. You can tell the source material is manga. Basically just some fun action.

the only problem is that the blood is annoying. I mean it looks like paint and doesn't look right at times but I guess that is what happens to somethings in Hi-Def. Now if I can finish this and then watch rewatch/finish Zatoichi which I have no idea where I left off. glad LW &C is shorter.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2021, 17:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

The first 3 are the best then it really starts to get into manga feel and they should have just went the TV route with it.

I haven't seen them in a few years but the blood in most of that time era in films all across the world really looked like paint.
And I'm sure it does look worse in hi-def on larger screens that are overblown bright, I could have the same settings on my TV and projector but
it will never be as bright as the TV and will always hide stuff, even film at theaters.

And I don't even mean that you have the settings too bright but that's just how they are, TVs are always brighter than projectors, unless
you buy a super high lumen projector which again messes the image.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2021, 18:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

xtempo wrote:
gypsy wrote:
xtempo wrote:

the only problem is that the blood is annoying. I mean it looks like paint and doesn't look right at times but I guess that is what happens to somethings in Hi-Def. Now if I can finish this and then watch rewatch/finish Zatoichi which I have no idea where I left off. glad LW &C is shorter.

Yeah this is one where I could see an older format being more appealing than BD because you really can't help but notice that with BD.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2021, 10:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just viewed "The Empire Strikes Back" from U.S. Definitive Collection.....
Uncut no CG augmentation....
Irvin Kershner.... a true artist ......

Cheers

Last edited by firehorse_44 on 15 Aug 2021, 12:57, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Acta Non Verba .....
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum ....
Si Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc ......

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2021, 14:23 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

xtempo wrote:
gypsy wrote:
xtempo wrote:

I’ve only ever seen this movie on VHS and LD and the blood, which looks like milk* with food coloring in it, has always looked super fake and since these are occasionally SUPER bloody movies it’s hard to ignore.

*No corn syrup industry in 70s Japan yet, I guess.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2021, 19:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
The first 3 are the best then it really starts to get into manga feel and they should have just went the TV route with it.

Coincidentally, I think there is a TV series that more or less follows the manga from where the last movie left off...but of course you can't get that on blu-ray. I'm not even sure it's been released on DVD.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2021, 20:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes, there is a series, also unsure of its release on which formats.
The LD https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/00508/12 ... n-Assassin was the first two films and I remember back in the day
this was the only thing I ever knew about.

I think there was a USA LD that had the first 4 TV episodes cut into a film but can't remember the title of that, I thought it was shogun assassin but there
must have been another one I think i saw the cover once but can't remember the title.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2021, 21:47 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Now I'm interested in seeing this Lone Wolf and Cub movie just to see the paint/milk blood.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2021, 02:25 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Just watched The Lion King 2019. I can tell Disney was very ambitious about this remake. They hired the best director, great cast of voicing actors, and dedicated immense resources in the CGI animations. I liked it a lot. Of course, the original is difficult to top. 5/5.

Page 68 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 76  Next