It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:08

Page 21 of 76 [ 1505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 06:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

To save starting a new thread what LD has the picture when it comes to JAWS?
I have the Signature CLV edition box already
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 23:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Watched Escape from the Planet of the Apes last night.

Very thought provoking. The production quality of all the Ape movies is really good and always have brutal no holds barred endings. The ending to Beneath is one of my favorite endings of all time now.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 00:37 
signofzeta wrote:
That movie couldn’t have have been less attractive to me. It seemed to do everything wrong possible from an aesthetic sense, that’s going beyond the notion that making a live action version of any anime at all is almost always totally missing the point.

Then there’s the question we’re all wondering...

When uncle James asked that question all uncool people ask when they see anime for the first time (that being, “Why are their eyes so big?”) what hilarious answer did his nephew give that Cameron didn’t realize was a joke? I want to know and I can’t reverse engineer a very good one.

Did you attempt to watch it or judge it from previews? For me it was just something to take the plunge on, albeit there would have been quite a bit of hesitation had I known uncle James only cowrote rather than directed. More sightseeing and worldbuilding in Iron City was what I had hoped for. Oops.

Quote:
forper: "Check out Silence (2016) for some good missionary action in Japan"

Is that from the Shusaku Endo novel?

Speaking of anime-ism I watched Kill Bill again recently. Eh.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 02:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I don't know about Endo, I don't read books.

Kill Bill is "anime-ism"? How do you mean?

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 03:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:

Very thought provoking. The production quality of all the Ape movies is really good and always have brutal no holds barred endings. The ending to Beneath is one of my favorite endings of all time now.

Going to get into the planet apes boxset these holidays,
How did you find the picture?
iScan DUO Processor

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 04:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
Kill Bill is "anime-ism"? How do you mean?

My guess is snipesbackhand meant that it watches similar to a violent bare bones plot anime. Which makes sense given the movie is basically Tarantino's version of Lady Snowblood, which could easily be a manga/anime itself.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 05:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

^ok.

jakeheke wrote:
forper wrote:

The picture is very acceptable. Widescreen presentation. Clean print. No unnatural clean up done. I crop out the Japanese subs with my DVDO and get very close to the original aspect ratio at the same time with extremely minimal missing picture. Couldn't ask for more, picture is exactly as it should be because I don't even think about it.

Yeah man you gotta get into it. Have you seen em before? I feel like the guy I envy coz he hasn't seen Die Hard ever before and is watching it for the first time on the best format possible.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 06:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
^ok.

jakeheke wrote:
forper wrote:

The picture is very acceptable. Widescreen presentation. Clean print. No unnatural clean up done. I crop out the Japanese subs with my DVDO and get very close to the original aspect ratio at the same time with extremely minimal missing picture. Couldn't ask for more, picture is exactly as it should be because I don't even think about it.

Yeah man you gotta get into it. Have you seen em before? I feel like the guy I envy coz he hasn't seen Die Hard ever before and is watching it for the first time on the best format possible.

I can only bearly remember them, the first one mostly but the rest very little at all.
Very much am looking forward to watch and what better way than the widescreen boxset on LaserDisc!
iScan DUO Processor

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 23:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

yeah enjoy!

Took an Ape break last night.

Watched Minako Honda Dramatic Flash. A very good performance, wish I knew the venue/s. The closeups of Minako's face covered in sweat is where the natural detail of LD really shines.

Then watched Copland. Always wanted to see it since it came out but never did. Enjoyed it a lot but the in-picture Japanese subs reminded why I avoid US movies on Japanese LD. Still this was $3 I think. Might sell on stuff like this. Again, got to focus.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2019, 00:37 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I really do love when you watch a bunch of DVDs or HD TV and forget about the quality of LD and when you go back to LD
and realize that it was and still is really good to see some details that you would think aren't there.

Then you have the people who say LD is like VHS....... They just don't know.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2019, 01:05 
May have already mentioned this as it isn't the latest thing I viewed but for those wishing to extend the Christmas spirit through yearend Little Buddha is quite enjoyable. LD looks good, sounds great. Affecting performances despite certain castings that may appear dubious.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2019, 01:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just viewed "2010" AGAIN !

Utterly epic movie imo !

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2019, 02:15 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

snipesbackhand wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
That movie couldn’t have have been less attractive to me. It seemed to do everything wrong possible from an aesthetic sense, that’s going beyond the notion that making a live action version of any anime at all is almost always totally missing the point.

Then there’s the question we’re all wondering...

When uncle James asked that question all uncool people ask when they see anime for the first time (that being, “Why are their eyes so big?”) what hilarious answer did his nephew give that Cameron didn’t realize was a joke? I want to know and I can’t reverse engineer a very good one.

Did you attempt to watch it or judge it from previews? For me it was just something to take the plunge on, albeit there would have been quite a bit of hesitation had I known uncle James only cowrote rather than directed. More sightseeing and worldbuilding in Iron City was what I had hoped for. Oops.

Quote:
forper: "Check out Silence (2016) for some good missionary action in Japan"

Is that from the Shusaku Endo novel?

Speaking of anime-ism I watched Kill Bill again recently. Eh.

A James Cameron produced remake of a C grade anime is always going to be junk. I’m judging the next one now, whatever it is. Outlanders? MD Geist? Doesn’t matter. Everything that gave the originals that magical spark is totally f-ing nonexistent in a $200M remake. Anime, the classic and classically flawed OVA stuff, is LOW BUDGET, creator owned, designed by and for enthusiastic fans of the manga that just want to see their favorite drawings come to life. This film has no drawings. This film is just some billionaire scumbag’s attempt to fill a spot in the release calendar where he wasn’t already making money hand over first from other people’s ideas. Even a remake of Akira or Macross or Nausicaa at a budget of one trillion dollars will still suck. Anyone attempting it has no ideas to begin with and original creators have no agency in the remake and no skills that are useful.

Aside from that, it also looks moronic. Giant eyes in Gally...giant huge “anime eyes” when nobody else has them. Total cluelessness times a million.

So no, I didn’t see it given that seeing it gives these hacks money and also here is zero chance I’d enjoy any of it. :)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2019, 03:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Trying some "toe in" with my speakers and music LDs today. I like what I'm hearing so far

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2019, 06:20 
signofzeta wrote:
A James Cameron produced remake of a C grade anime is always going to be junk. I’m judging the next one now, whatever it is. Outlanders? MD Geist? Doesn’t matter. Everything that gave the originals that magical spark is totally f-ing nonexistent in a $200M remake. Anime, the classic and classically flawed OVA stuff, is LOW BUDGET, creator owned, designed by and for enthusiastic fans of the manga that just want to see their favorite drawings come to life. This film has no drawings. This film is just some billionaire scumbag’s attempt to fill a spot in the release calendar where he wasn’t already making money hand over first from other people’s ideas. Even a remake of Akira or Macross or Nausicaa at a budget of one trillion dollars will still suck. Anyone attempting it has no ideas to begin with and original creators have no agency in the remake and no skills that are useful.

Aside from that, it also looks moronic. Giant eyes in Gally...giant huge “anime eyes” when nobody else has them. Total cluelessness times a million.

So no, I didn’t see it given that seeing it gives these hacks money and also here is zero chance I’d enjoy any of it. :)

Rusty Angel and Tears Sign are definitely not my idea of C-grade anything, so I was willing to take a 2% gamble on enjoying the remake. More to the point, I was willing to hope it wouldn't just be a remake.
The unique eyes didn't bother me, although your objection makes sense; treat it like a Schwarzenegger voice, the protagonist and hence most interesting character is allowed to have larger than life distinctions whether those are giant eyes or an accent and delivery that don't sound entirely nondescript.
Regarding Cameron's rapacity I really don't know whether it was solely a money play, partly a comically belated attempt to be cool, or he is genuinely a misguided fan of GUNNM or anime at large. If I hold every fault against every Hollywood facultator I won't have anything to watch.
Ultimately it would be much more vital to see actors playing live action against traditionally drawn manga backgrounds, with drawn objects in hand and in motion. Maybe next time.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2019, 07:45 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Started watching ID3021LI Mortal Kombat: Special Edition , picture was not great in my eyes.
I have the Jap version JSLB-22976 so hopefully thats watchable
iScan DUO Processor

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2019, 08:43 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

snipesbackhand wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Rusty Angel and Tears Sign are definitely not my idea of C-grade anything, so I was willing to take a 2% gamble on enjoying the remake. More to the point, I was willing to hope it wouldn't just be a remake.
The unique eyes didn't bother me, although your objection makes sense; treat it like a Schwarzenegger voice, the protagonist and hence most interesting character is allowed to have larger than life distinctions whether those are giant eyes or an accent and delivery that don't sound entirely nondescript.
Regarding Cameron's rapacity I really don't know whether it was solely a money play, partly a comically belated attempt to be cool, or he is genuinely a misguided fan of GUNNM or anime at large. If I hold every fault against every Hollywood facultator I won't have anything to watch.
Ultimately it would be much more vital to see actors playing live action against traditionally drawn manga backgrounds, with drawn objects in hand and in motion. Maybe next time.

There’s no shame in a C grade. I got Cs most of my life and things have been fine.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2019, 15:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

While I have not watched Rusty Angel I did scan through about 20% on youtube of both and they are so so, not the best not the worst and
I do want to pickup a cheap copy to add to the anime collection.

As for what I've been watching, we watched Yankee Doodle Dandy last night from my buck DVD haul. Classic film and totally worth it.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2019, 18:04 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

A Grade Anime: Probably theatrical or TV special. Crowd pleasers, usually high budget, usually popular with critics and the audience. Subjects would be Lupin III, both Unico movies, Jungle Emperor, Memories, Ghibli, Oshii, Otomo, Royal Space Force, there isn’t a lot of this stuff.

B Grade Anime: Any format, this is the stuff that is good or potentially great but has an ota stink to it forever relegating it to the sidelines of Japanese society/American food courts.. This would include all the classic TV and OVAs of the 80s and 90s as well as theatrical stuff when the theatrical stuff had more variety. Examples: Arion, Birth, Project A-Ko, Giant Robo: The Animation, Zeta Gundam, Run Melos!, Patlabor, Macross, Touch, Ranma, Bubblegum Crisis, Aim For the Top!

C Grade Anime: Anything that fails to meet the other grades but is better than D or maybe it would be a B but for the overpowering ota stink (Cream Lemon). Usually this would be mediocre TV series, abandoned OVAs based on 100 volume manga, etc. Examples are numerous as this is the main bulk of anime. Ushio and Tora, Tenchi Muyo, MADOX, Dream Hunter Rem, Silent Mobius, Outlanders, Capricorn, Initial D, virtuality anything based on a video game.

Exceptions:

The Gundam movies I, II, and III crossed out of B into A. No other Gundam ever has.

I’m not sure what Dragon Ball is.

Eva is something I hate so much it needs its own category in which I will toss most of the hentai horror p0rn, moe skirt chasing fap fuel, and anything else I can’t stand to see.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2019, 18:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Ota? I assume otaku.

Interesting way to look at it. I try not to let the fan base of something impact my view of it. It can be harder for me to manage expectations. Nadia for instance I am probably unfairly dinging because literally everyone recommends it. Yeah I fell asleep watching it but I tend to only have the time to watch anime before sleeping. I've fell asleep watching Lupin which I love so it's not indicative of the quality. Nadia just seems to lack that punch that keeps me chaining episodes together.

Last edited by gypsy on 28 Dec 2019, 18:29, edited 2 times in total. _________________
I have added a shop on lddb.com. Check it out, items are priced to sell.

Page 21 of 76 [ 1505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 76  Next