It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:28

Page 27 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2020, 16:36 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

substance wrote:
Nuclear power is absolutely necessary if a country wants to industrialize and league up to the levels of very few very wealthy countries. It is no coincidence that all the well industrialized, well developed and major economy countries have been relying on nuclear power for many decades. It is the only way to provide factories, people, country wide rail roads very cheap electric. It is way cleaner than solar or any renewable too but the main argument is making factories, transport and other necessities profitable and affordable. I am a power systems engineer and work for NationalGrid which is the 3rd largest utility company in the world. I am not pulling these out of somewhere.

So meltdowns, which are not %100 preventable, are also necessary for the world to move for forward in your opinion. I reject this flippant disregard for profit totally. Come back when you have an argument other than “it’s my job so I have to support it”.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2020, 00:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Nuclear energy is the most environmentally friendly source of power, such as it is. The more obvious alternatives are severely limited by the fact that they are really only viable in select parts of the world; water obviously needs a large enough a river, not to mention building dams tends to really screw up the local ecosystem, just look at the Three Gorges Dam; solar is useless in countries like UK that have constant overcast, and wind simply doesn't have the power output that'd enable it to be more than a supplementary source.

And I'm not counting on fusion becoming a thing anytime soon either.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2020, 01:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

takeshi666 wrote:
Nuclear energy is the most environmentally friendly source of power, such as it is. The more obvious alternatives are severely limited by the fact that they are really only viable in select parts of the world; water obviously needs a large enough a river, not to mention building dams tends to really screw up the local ecosystem, just look at the Three Gorges Dam; solar is useless in countries like UK that have constant overcast, and wind simply doesn't have the power output that'd enable it to be more than a supplementary source.

And I'm not counting on fusion becoming a thing anytime soon either.

Plenty of sun down here and local wind farms near me do have the odd day when there isn't enough wind, but that isn't like 1-2 days in every week of the year. It doesn't happen all that often if they're built in the right place. Yes the wind farms don't provide a significant amount of power for a major city, but in rural areas one farm would kick out enough to power 10-20k or more homes. In summer here any extra power is handy as the grid doesn't like the extra load of everyone switching on their ac after finishing school/work. The latter is such a significant problem here that major industries are asked to reduce their power consumption on some days so the grid doesn't fail all over the place.

Maybe that doesn't happen in the ACT where forper is, but in states that have a lot of industry it happens all the time.

There has been talk of building a solar farm here and exporting the power to Singapore.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2020, 01:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

yep, you still need baseload power. Most hippies and their dumbass mindless followers have taken that piece of common sense and put it away so they can essentially say: "noooo man, we should power the world with rainbows and good vibes..."

There's two things I've always hated and two kinds of people I have never trusted: Communists and hippies.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2020, 03:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

ENERGY, It is apparent that we could relate to a thread all day ( and night) long regarding this vast subject.

We are truly the children of the atom.
Most of us were born into a nuclear future in full progress. I so wish we would have developed fusion technology first instead of second.
For obvious reasons we have painted ourselves into a corner creating waste no one wishes anywhere near their population centers.
Everyone makes good points here. From substance to zeta.
I endorse funding all viable alternative forms of energy, including improving existing nuclear technology.

As Elon Musk is fond of pointing out, there is a fusion reactor that shows up everyday in our skies.

Here is a thought about the green movement that is sobering.
1.2 billion people live in Africa, 600 million live without electricity. Their leaders and other country investors wish to establish coal plants to bring them from their tribal mode of living and make modern amenities more common.

The green movement says we cannot have that, coal pollutes, our world is dying, all the while knowing that it was that same technology that allowed modern countries to rise up out of the mud of toil and sweat, to survive heat and cold.

So we are at a serious crossroads.
I have taken for granted my hot water, toilet, and internet cyber web construct existence, not to mention a food distribution system that relies on mechanical machines and fossil fuels all the while great swaths of this planet is home to tribal people living the more or less same experience and existence for the past few thousands of years.

What right do developed countries have dictating inhibiting policy of "green" reasoning to keep other cultures and peoples from "rising out of the mud" ?

The answer is sustainable energy forms that do not mitigate their benefits with ecological destruction.
This is the quest for the holy grail peepz.
Geothermal, tidal harnessing, solar development, wind, and perfecting and developing fusion and fission to a viable alternative until we find that grail.

The survival of our blue marble and all the denizen here in depends on fresh water, local food production, end to cultural tensions (racism), and a viable energy source that is renewable and non environmentally impacting to the 10th power.
The race has been on since before we were born, let's talk about it !
Elon Musk and people like him need our input, and our cooperation.....

There is more then one road to Rome, and ALL roads lead there.
We are in this together. We need to increase the scope of our awareness to think globally and act locally.

Cheers to the membership.....

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2020, 12:14 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Very well put firehorse.

A genuine thanks for that.

Cheers :thumbup:

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2020, 22:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Not sure why Elon Musk is supposed to know everything about the future. To me he's just trying to make a profit like everyone else and for some reason people think he's Tony Stark? Actually I think it was because of that movie Iron Man being popular that people searched for a real life analogue?

I know he sold South Australia a battery, the world's biggest and most expensive, and it can power the state for about 2 minutes. Musk sounds like a con man to me here actually, taking advantage of contemporary green virtue signalling in the mainstream.

I keep hearing the last fires in Australia apparantly were the "worst ever" (coz climate change). However people's memories are incredibly short. The fires in Victoria in 2009, that's right, only 10 years ago, killed 8 times more people, raised roughly the same amount of properties and burnt an area that comes close to the last fires.

We live in a time that even a decade ago wasn't so, we live in a time of self induced mass-hysteria, where every little thing is the end of the world, it's insanity and Elon Musk is just taking advantage of our insane times imo.

Common sense like nuclear or new build coal and gas fired stations aren't happening anytime soon in Australia because of this (mostly Western) hysteria. Musk sees this, that's his only insight.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2020, 23:20 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Black Saturday did have more casualties but this isn't over yet. Also, comparing half a million hectares to over 18 million isn't even close.

I even remember Ash Wednesday, I've lived through all of this in country Victoria and what we're seeing now is much worse.
Obviously more lives would have been lost this time if lessons from the past didn't help create any changes to how we deal with fires now.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2020, 03:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just viewed "CLOUD ATLAS" ....

"Meet Joe Black" ....

Highly recommend "Death takes a Holiday" with Frederich March from the early 1930's.
Inspiration for the MEET JOE BLACK script.
I feel the March version is more poignant and gets the point across directly instead of a long stroll around the park if you will.

Cheers to the membership....

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 12:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Remembering my '90s crushes tonight with Rie Tomosaka Clips and Hitomi Nine Clips DVDs

So pichi pichi, so hot, I had good taste

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 12:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

My heart just broke multiple times thanks to forper....

WOW !

Something about Japanese woman.... so beautiful.... :shock:

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 22:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just viewed " The Fifth Element "...
Luc Besson masterpiece....

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2020, 08:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

5th Element is way too Euro for me! Enjoy though

Friday night I was rockin Cocco KiraKira live tour 2007/2008 DVD. I'm not that much a fan of her recorded albums but live with this band she is amazing. The band is amazing. The recording is amazing. Can you see the sound waves in the picture? I had this on loud..

Tonight chilling with Hinano Yoshikawa on VHS and Sun Dance with Mizuho Nakagawa on LD. Beautiful CAV video that really showcases LD. Reference disc for sure. The images are so clean my camera I don't know how to use, and that usually makes crappy pics actually managed to capture some of the magic. Still so much more IRL

Mizuho Nakagawa: Sun Dance (1984) [ME138-22LD]

Last edited by Anonymous on 27 Jan 2020, 00:51, edited 1 time in total. _________________
SONY MDP-355GX, DVDO iscan VP50, SONY KVHR-M36

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2020, 18:53 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I feel that a lot of those discs from Japan have amazing reference quality, they were shot with top quality equipment and
transferred with the top gear onto the top format of the time.

I've never had those but have seen others and the PQ is as good as you can get once everything is calibrated correctly.
Even those car discs, train discs etc. Just great stuff. Didn't leave anytime for any loss in quality of footage.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2020, 18:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Totally. Sometimes the lowly travel or music video will have some of the best quality video out there just because it was shot on pro stuff and never went through much conversion.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2020, 00:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

yeah it's something to do with video to video? As opposed to film conversion to video.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2020, 01:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Finished watching the last few episodes of Xena WP over the weekend, had never watched the whole thing previously (actually hadn't watched many eps at all).
Started watching Hercules TLJ last night, but I've seen more of that. Upscaling DVD R1 to 720p and it doesn't look too bad really.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2020, 06:46 
Six Days, Seven Nights on DVD.
This is the first time I recall having ever seen DVD's infamous macroblocking, perhaps somehow on account of the large quantity of skyline and the 2:39 AR. Nonetheless it was negligible.
Likewise negligible was the direction. I've concluded Reitman has next to no talent beyond associating himself with good scripts and Harold Ramis. This should have been tonally close to Romancing the Stone or the video game Uncharted, but it fluttered all over between comedy and painfully PG amours--and not in an endearing way like Friends. Schwimmer's performance was further proof of the poor direction, as by 1998 (year 4 of Friends) he had developed enough basic acting chops to give Ross some humanity, and his character in Six Days Seven Nights just feels like cutting room floor takes from Friends' initial season.
Anne Heche was surprisingly attractive, and this must have been the latest role before Ford began to look uncomfortably old.

Rating: a good disposable title, or rental as they used to be called, and not much more. 2.5 of 5 stars.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2020, 15:00 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Yeah, I remember renting Days/Nights with a friend back in the day and we chortled through it. A remote island - but lets throw in pirates and explosions! Likely Ford's worst ever movie (subject of a gag in Fan Boys). Not sure why, but I own the Japanese LD.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2020, 22:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
I feel that a lot of those discs from Japan have amazing reference quality, they were shot with top quality equipment and
transferred with the top gear onto the top format of the time.

I've never had those but have seen others and the PQ is as good as you can get once everything is calibrated correctly.
Even those car discs, train discs etc. Just great stuff. Didn't leave anytime for any loss in quality of footage.

I have a very early Japan LD released in 1983/84 that has about the best and most perfect analogue video I have ever seen in my life. Wow.
There is also a DVD of this title but I am sure it looks worse ( being digitised and all ).

-> https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/53371/MK ... -Silk-Road

Page 27 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 76  Next