It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:32

Page 26 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 11:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Tonight, beers and Minako Honda DISPA '87 LOUD. I think I can get away with blasting my music discs in my apartment building on Friday and Saturday nights? Latoya Jackson shows up at the end but I don't know why Minako needs her, she kicked so much a** by herself. Minako was the sexiest b**ch ever imo. Minako rocks a Michael Jackson tribute costume for half the show. I know they met in real life. The mysterious group Shoujo Tai shows up mid way too, not sure of the connection. What does D.I.S.P.A. mean anyway? Anyone here know? All I know and have known for a while is Minako was the best ever.

Minako Honda: Dispa 1987 (1987) [L080-1106]

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 16:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

firehorse_44 wrote:
Clockwork Orange was banned in the UK due to hooligans imitating the characters in the movie.

Hi firehorse,

the Clockwork Orange UK ban thing, it was never banned as such here in the UK but pulled at the request of Mr. Kubrick.

It was after protests that took place outside his home & the police at the time apparently said to him that although the protesters were perhaps intimidating & a nuisance what would happen if a gang of "droogs" turned up.

The bit below pretty well covers the withdrawal of the feature in the UK.

The myth of A Clockwork Orange’s ban.

Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange was unavailable in the UK for nearly three decades. And yet it was never banned...

Throughout much of the 1980s and early 1990s, there were two films that many film nerds wanted to get their hands on, but in the UK at least, they couldn’t. For The Exorcist and A Clockwork Orange were arguably the two highest profile films that, for much of VHS’ popularity, you simply weren’t able to rent or buy on tape in the UK. As such, an under the counter industry in illegal, poor quality copies was booming, whilst many cinemas traded off late night shows of The Exorcist, where the film could still be seen freely.

Yet not on VHS. Warner Bros. opted, in the midst and aftermath of the video nasty scandal in the UK in the early 1980s, not to submit The Exorcist for a VHS release. It was probably wise not to do so, given that the chances of actually getting a certificate for a home release were very slim. By not submitting it at all, The Exorcist would thus never be banned. As it happened, it wasn’t until 1999 that the film finally was submitted for such a certificate, and was passed uncut with an 18 rating.
But behind A Clockwork Orange’s unavailability lay a different story. Whilst The Exorcist was at least staring down the barrel of an official ban, A Clockwork Orange was never banned in the UK at all either. Moreover, it hadn’t been explicitly threatened with one for a VHS release. Instead, the reason that A Clockwork Orange was pulled from UK cinemas in 1973 and not officially seen in the UK again for over 25 years was down to its director, the late Stanley Kubrick.

Upon the film’s release in 1971, it didn’t take long for the film of A Clockwork Orange to stir controversy. Based on the novel by Anthony Burgess, the movie – of course – stars Malcolm McDowell as Alex DeLarge, in arguably his career-best performance. But the film earned particular notoriety in March of 1972, when it was cited by a prosecutor in a court case. A 14-year old had been accused of manslaughter, and the prosecution argued that the film of A Clockwork Orange had relevance to the case. The film was linked with further cases too, with many ‘copycat’ crimes reported. The story gathered requisite fuel, and unhappiness with the film grew. It got to a point where protests were mounted, at times outside Kubrick’s family home.

The director himself was taken aback. Kubrick argued that pinning violence on the film was incorrect, stating a side of a debate that’s reared several times in the history of cinema. That is, that film cannot make someone do something they weren’t capable of doing already. That the crimes would have happened anyway. A Clockwork Orange was being used as a media scapegoat. Not that such an argument often holds shrift in the court of public opinion, of course.

Kubrick, though, decided to act. When the film had completed its theatrical run in the UK in early 1973, he asked Warner Bros. to withdraw the film from circulation altogether. The studio agreed, although for over a half a decade, nobody noticed (this was in a pre-video age, of course). It was only, in 1979, when the National Film Theatre was refused permission to screen it as part of a retrospective of Kubrick’s work that the withdrawal came to attention for the first time.

But that’s all it was. Kubrick, without explanation, asked for the film to be taken out of circulation, and because people couldn’t get hold of it in Britain, the myth began to spread that it had been banned. But it hadn’t at all. Warner Bros. continued to work with Kubrick for the rest of his life, and continued to accept his wishes where A Clockwork Orange was concerned.

It took until March 2000 for the film to return – legally – to British screens. Shortly after the death of Kubrick – who passed away days after locking his final cut of his last film, Eyes Wide Shut – Warner Bros. finally applied for a certificate for the film, and it was granted. An 18, as you might expect.

On March 17th 2000, it thus made its way back to UK cinema screens, and a home release followed shortly after. Removed from the context of its original release, the response was surprisingly tame, with any arguments about it inciting or informing violence long rested. Instead, a classic film from a one-off filmmaker could finally be seen, without fuzzy lines and interference all over the screen…

Cheers

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 17:31 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Robin Wright at Congress or the Congress. (The Princess Bride herself) plays a washed up version of her self and gets one last chance which is to have a digital form of herself that will last forever. A weird animated tale when animated that evokes of an acid trip. its based off a book which I might read but not sure yet.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 19:40 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Chernobyl HBO series, very disturbing but excellent overall. I still think nuclear power is good though :)

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 23:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It came to me in a dream last night.. DISPA = Disco Party. Japanese abbreviation style haha

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020, 00:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

je280 wrote:
firehorse_44 wrote:
Clockwork Orange was banned in the UK due to hooligans imitating the characters in the movie.

Hi firehorse,

the Clockwork Orange UK ban thing, it was never banned as such here in the UK but pulled at the request of Mr. Kubrick.

Thank you je280,

A ton of food for thought !
Had no idea about the history of "The Exorcist".

Very glad to read the "real" story about Clockwork Orange.
I apologize for misrepresenting the perceived ban for my part.

History is like hindsight, 20/20, if one can observe objectively and consider more then one source for perspective.
Your post cleared up a big misconception.

A buddy of mine had a best friend who ran into Malcolm McDowell in AZ some years ago.
He offered him a glass of milk and they both went into a bit of dialogue from the film.
Priceless exchange related to me that got a ton of laughs.

Thank the sky gods for our best droogs....

☆☆☆☆"I am cured" ☆☆☆☆

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020, 10:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:
Chernobyl HBO series, very disturbing but excellent overall. I still think nuclear power is good though :)

I concur ( on both points ). Modern nuclear plants can hardly be compared to some old Soviet power plant.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020, 13:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Australia needs to go nuclear but dumb hippies stuck in the '70s will never let it.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020, 13:14 
True fan
True fan

forper wrote:
Australia needs to go nuclear but dumb hippies stuck in the '70s will never let it.

The whole country is already on fire anyways, what's a little nuclear radiation going to do. :lol:

I actually live pretty close to a nuclear power plant, and I'm never concerned about it going off. It's a clean and efficient form of power that is demonized by the media.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020, 18:49 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

“Demonized”? You’re hilarious.

The problem with being pro nuke is it means being pro nuke disaster. The meltdowns will happen. They will. At some occasional interval. Yeah, USSR is such a a joke, hahaha, remember Fukushima? Japan? 2011? The only level 7 meltdown in history? Thousands of lives changed forever? A community destroyed? Environmental damage of epic proportions still not understood. And it happened to JAPAN.

For reference, Japan has had high speed rail since the 60s and has NEVER had a single fatality and yet even for people this organized and rule abiding it still happened. If a similar thing happened to a costal power plant anywhere in the world they’d still be trying to put the fire out.

I’m not brave enough to not care about the disasters that pro nuke people flippantly shrug off.

Seriously, read the crap that they are still dealing with every day: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/ ... iNDeBZOnv4

If it takes 35 years to clean up...whats it going to be like when you have multiple years long melt down operations going on all around the word at the same time? If it takes four decades to clean up, who’s to say that the resources for that are even going to exist through the entire project? What it Qatar goes full nuke and then the government collapses and can’t pay 20x the going rate for expert foreign labor? Are you going to fly over there and endanger yourselves to put it out or will we just let it burn and make jokes?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020, 18:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Listening to NPR right now and they said that town in North Carolina won't allow solar farms as they are worried that they will suck up all the sunshine...........

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020, 19:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:

Our electricity and telco networks don't work properly, I mean they're third world. There are ex-soviet bloc countries with better infrastructure than us and they're built most of that in less than 30 years.
If we had nuclear plants they'd blow up and trigger years of royal commissions.
Federal government can't even deal with bushfires properly. Yeah they hand out masks in Canberra but I haven't seen any down here and our air quality has been just as bad if not worse.

Move back to Japan if you want nuclear.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2020, 00:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
“Demonized”? You’re hilarious.

The problem with being pro nuke is it means being pro nuke disaster. The meltdowns will happen. They will. At some occasional interval. Yeah, USSR is such a a joke, hahaha, remember Fukushima? Japan? 2011? The only level 7 meltdown in history? Thousands of lives changed forever? A community destroyed? Environmental damage of epic proportions still not understood. And it happened to JAPAN.

For reference, Japan has had high speed rail since the 60s and has NEVER had a single fatality and yet even for people this organized and rule abiding it still happened. If a similar thing happened to a costal power plant anywhere in the world they’d still be trying to put the fire out.

I’m not brave enough to not care about the disasters that pro nuke people flippantly shrug off.

Seriously, read the crap that they are still dealing with every day: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/ ... iNDeBZOnv4

If it takes 35 years to clean up...whats it going to be like when you have multiple years long melt down operations going on all around the word at the same time? If it takes four decades to clean up, who’s to say that the resources for that are even going to exist through the entire project? What it Qatar goes full nuke and then the government collapses and can’t pay 20x the going rate for expert foreign labor? Are you going to fly over there and endanger yourselves to put it out or will we just let it burn and make jokes?

Are you serious? 450 nuke power plants in the world, probably some near you, and 2 (3 if you count 5 mile island) disasters (Chernobyl was a mess but Fukushima death toll is officially exactly 0) over 70 years? What are you smoking? Do you know how many accidents, poisonings and deaths have been caused by coal, oil and gas power plant disasters? I'll tell ya: thousands, seriously on older infrastructure the workers get sick and the places literally blow up in giant fireballs sometimes killing people.

Re: Fukushima. Japan is the most earth quake prone place on the planet, they have scores of nuke plants and 1 flooding of one after a freak tsunami and you're saying having nuke is suicide?...yeeeeeeeahhhhhhhh oooookaaaaaay :crazy:

Nuclear power is NOT nuclear weaponry. Dirty hippies will imply it all the time. You know that, I know that, but I see the nuke argument as the beginning of the death of common sense in the Western world. A precedent for true dumb, now the left is infected with new and unbounded amounts of dumb and they're hoodwinking normal people by just lying to them and telling them propaganda about everything from the Amazon rain forest, global warming, racism, "white privelege", dolphins, whales and still nuke power...

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2020, 00:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

deadlegion wrote:
forper wrote:

Our electricity and telco networks don't work properly, I mean they're third world. There are ex-soviet bloc countries with better infrastructure than us and they're built most of that in less than 30 years.
If we had nuclear plants they'd blow up and trigger years of royal commissions.
Federal government can't even deal with bushfires properly. Yeah they hand out masks in Canberra but I haven't seen any down here and our air quality has been just as bad if not worse.

Move back to Japan if you want nuclear.

If you want 3rd world try living in the boonies in Japan. They don't have flush toilets. There's a truck that picks up your s**t. This is in a town of 5000 were I lived for a while. Also a giant sump for heating oil, again serviced by a truck to each home. And LPG in dangerous canisters on the side of the house, again changed out by a truck. 40 minute drive from a major city. The road to the city is also dodgy as hell. single lane each way with all these truckers on it servicing all these homes. I think I was lucky to have running water...

Yeah NBN is a joke but we have good infrastructure in the scheme of things.

I'm in Canberra and I had to buy a mask after they came back into stock. $6. Nobody handed me one.

Don't talk to me about stuff you don't know about.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2020, 00:56 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Nuclear power is absolutely necessary if a country wants to industrialize and league up to the levels of very few very wealthy countries. It is no coincidence that all the well industrialized, well developed and major economy countries have been relying on nuclear power for many decades. It is the only way to provide factories, people, country wide rail roads very cheap electric. It is way cleaner than solar or any renewable too but the main argument is making factories, transport and other necessities profitable and affordable. I am a power systems engineer and work for NationalGrid which is the 3rd largest utility company in the world. I am not pulling these out of somewhere.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2020, 05:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
I'm in Canberra and I had to buy a mask after they came back into stock. $6. Nobody handed me one.

Don't talk to me about stuff you don't know about.

You wouldn't have got any free masks if you're under 65, healthy (no allergies, asthma etc) and not indigenous.

Quote:
Supply for vulnerable Canberrans

On 6 January 2020 it was announced that P2/N95 masks are being delivered to pharmacies and will be available for people who are most at risk of the health impacts of exposure to the smoke from tomorrow 7 January 2020. Masks will also be available through the Winnunga Nimmityjah Aboriginal Health Service for their clients.

This is the small supply of P2/N95 masks provided by the Commonwealth Government for the ACT.

The groups of particularly sensitive individuals who will be able to access these masks, if they choose, include:

people with existing chronic lung and heart conditions, such as asthma, chronic bronchitis or emphysema, and heart disease
all pregnant women, and
people over 65 years of age.

Each eligible person will receive two masks at the pharmacy.

ACT Health recommends that people with lung condition, such as chronic obstructive airways disease, asthma or emphysema, and people with chronic heart conditions, should seek advice from their medical practitioner prior to using these masks.

In regards to retail sales of masks, some are available at Canberra pharmacies and hardware stores.

We ask the community to join with us in ensuring that we are supporting the people in our community who are most at risk of the health impacts of the smoke at this time.

The Government is continuing to monitor demand for masks and is working closely with Canberra retailers.

Some other states have issued free masks too but I only personally know of one person locally that got some; a police officer. Firefighters don't count really, they have access to a lot of good gear.
I live near (like a 15 minute drive) a city of around 100k people but no free masks, not even for my parents that are both over 65 (so actually eligible). The air quality around here has been so bad you can't drive anywhere in it some days, it's much worse than heavy fog.
My sister is another 10 minutes away from me and she has had to evacuate twice this year.

The masks don't work 100% anyway, you can't just have one or two and keep using them for weeks on end (or months the way things are looking atm).

As for nuclear power, sure it's technically possible to recycle some stockpiled waste. But what about all the other contaminated crap that builds up like clothes, tools etc? It's just adding to an already wasteful society.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2020, 06:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Terminator Dark Fate.
Damn that audio track rocks.
Thought there was another earthquake for moment.
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2020, 08:15 
True fan
True fan

jakeheke wrote:
Terminator Dark Fate.

The movie any good though? I can't say I've seen anything past Salvation.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2020, 08:41 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

pokefraker wrote:
jakeheke wrote:
Terminator Dark Fate.

The movie any good though? I can't say I've seen anything past Salvation.

I didnt expect much but i liked it.
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2020, 09:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well I just watched the first episode of Kamen Rider Amazon.

Also the first episode of Transformers: Micron Legend, first time seeing Armada in Japanese. The fansub still comes with the dub as well so it's interesting to compare, and luckily the subbers didn't take the lazy way out and just transcribe the English audio as a translation, since there are quite a few differences in dialogue between the two.

Page 26 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 76  Next