It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:59

Page 65 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 23 May 2021, 17:46 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, DVD often really sucks. It’s amazing how many bad ones there are. Non anamorphic, DD 2.0, etc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 23 May 2021, 19:18 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

substance wrote:
I have been watching DVDs lately. I think last time was more than 10 years ago. Man I have been spoiled by Blu-rays and 4K, DVDs look awful. Unfortunately there is a ton of content out there on DVD only.

I've been focusing on DVDs recently, some if not half are really bad but then there are others that are truly fine with the right setup.
I feel DVD is the in-between of mid range mastering.

Late release and some early LDs are super amazing, there are hit and miss in the mid range years. And LD is best on smaller sets rather
than giant sets.

DVD is pretty close to horrible in the early years, been watching a lot of HK discs that I've picked up and most are non animorphic
rips from the LD master and are not great in anyway, LDs are better if you can find them for these titles.
DVD is nicer on the mid to larger sets if mastered nicely.

Blurays are great and all but you are all lying if you can tell the difference between those releases like a Criterion that has
DVD-Bluray in the same package. I've got a few, the only blus in my collection anymore and I can't tell the difference, they are the same period.

Or if you get the films that have a very short release time between the DVD and then a few months later the blu came out from the
same master, you can see a difference you are lying to yourself.

PostPosted: 23 May 2021, 22:16 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I disagree. It have, for example, Ponyo, the US DVD/BR combo from Disney. Sometimes the babysitter would put in the DVD version and I could always instantly tell. The color stands out most with that release, with Totoro there is macroblocking all over the DVD and there none in the Blueray.

Maybe if you’re watching The Third Man or something very old and b/w and below the standards of any format, but having four times the res/bit rate is extremely visible to me.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 24 May 2021, 04:35 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Gonna echo that opinion. If you can't tell the difference between a good DVD and a even a decent blu-ray, that's either on your television or on your eyes. It's a night and day difference.

PostPosted: 24 May 2021, 09:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

A well encoded animation DVD can look really good on an upscaling player. I watched Fist of the North Star: The Movie on DVD and it held up remarkably well despite the standard definition transfer.

Meanwhile I can't say the same for these Looney Tunes ones.

PostPosted: 24 May 2021, 10:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Had Horror night on a recent Sunday evening.
Viewed "The Shining" and "Nightflier" .....
Two Stephen King epics brought to the big screen.

Loved Kubrick's creative adaptation of the novel.

PostPosted: 24 May 2021, 16:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PEOPLE, I'm talking about these 2K remasters, when the DVD and Bluray are the same release from the new 2K masters.
They are identical and have NO DIFFERENCE.

Anyway watched Fulltime Killer, took a risk on picking up the DVD it was shockingly good, nice surprise of a film that I personally have not heard of before.

PostPosted: 24 May 2021, 19:08 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Finished watching some LDs today.
Slaughterhouse-Five (1972) [ID5092]
just started Donald Duck Goes West (1965) [SF078-0071]

PostPosted: 24 May 2021, 20:31 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Are you sure you are using the HDMI output of your BD player and the output is set to 1080p? The increase in resolution(6x SD) and color fidelity is huge, you should be able to tell the difference immediately unless you have a very small TV and/or you sit really far away.

PostPosted: 24 May 2021, 20:37 
Serious fan
Serious fan

rein-o wrote:
PEOPLE, I'm talking about these 2K remasters, when the DVD and Bluray are the same release from the new 2K masters.

Maybe on a 65" direct-view display viewed from 10', but even then I'd bet if you could view both split-screen you could see the difference.

With live-action on a 128" 2.35:1 screen viewed from 14', it's not even a question. When you get into front-projection, every pixel counts. I'm right in the zone where I can somewhat see some sharpness/resolution benefit from 4K, but mostly on 2.35:1 content zoomed to fit the 2.35:1 screen... but the benefits of 4K aren't as much added resolution as wider color gamut and HDR.

PostPosted: 24 May 2021, 21:47 
Serious fan
Serious fan

rein-o wrote:

Yeah, no difference except that DVD video supports less than half of both the vertical and horizontal resolution of 2K.

DCI 2K: 2048x1080
BD: 1920x1080
DVD: 720x480

PostPosted: 24 May 2021, 22:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

substance wrote:
Are you sure you are using the HDMI output of your BD player and the output is set to 1080p? The increase in resolution(6x SD) and color fidelity is huge, you should be able to tell the difference immediately unless you have a very small TV and/or you sit really far away.

No and I only drool out of one side of my mouth.

PostPosted: 24 May 2021, 23:15 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

720 x 480 = 345,600
Vs.
1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600
——-
2,073,600 / 345,600 = 6

I am not even getting into interlaced vs progressive frames. But I must admit, I am jealous of you. I wish I couldn’t tell any difference. I would never have to spend more than a couple of bucks on movies.

PostPosted: 24 May 2021, 23:33 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I can tell with stuff and most stuff but these 2K I can't see anything.
I can tell if its a good or bad master on LD, that release of Slaughterhouse Five is a very poor mastered LD but I grew up watching it and its hard to watch
other pressings of stuff like that for me.

PostPosted: 26 May 2021, 22:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Martin 1978

Holy crap watch this. It's a fantastic character drama underneath the horror. One of Romero's best films.

PostPosted: 26 May 2021, 23:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
Martin 1978

Holy crap watch this. It's a fantastic character drama underneath the horror. One of Romero's best films.

I've been meaning to check it out, unfortunately it seems to exist in that same Rubinstein limbo as Dawn of the Dead except it's nowhere as popular so distributors are even less willing to dish the amount of cash required for it.

PostPosted: 28 May 2021, 22:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

What bothers me most about DVDs is the poor sound quality. DD 2.0 just sounds terrible in my cases. It is compressed to hell with horrible dynamics. I have heard some very good
DD 5.1 and dts 5.1 ( even a few full bitrate dts ) tracks. But DD 2.0 is quite bad in many cases.
There are some DVDs that look really good, in my opinion. I like the early Warner, Paramount or Sony DVDs that had tons of languages and subtitles on them.

But actually I wanted to write that I have just watched a really fantastic film tonight. It is called Croupier, made in 1998, directed by Mike Hodges ( Flash Gordon ) and starring
Clive Owen. It looks like a cheaper made for TV film but it has a really interesting story and excellent performances. I just loved the character Clive Owen was playing.
It is a brilliant modern film noir / neo noir film with a unique atmosphere and you immediately bond with the protagonist.
I found it while browsing the Netflix ( USA ) catalogue on my Fire TV Cube. ExpressVPN works very well with Netflix and the entire film streamed without any issues at all.
I am so happy I found it by chance tonight. I give it 9 out of 10!

Last edited by confederate on 29 May 2021, 07:50, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 28 May 2021, 22:23 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

yeah, DVD really lacks the most in the audio area, I just picked up a DVD of Flash Gordon speaking of Hodges, and it sounds like there is a
compressor on the audio of the DVD over the LD.

I never saw the full Croupier and I think that really put Owen on the map but then either he or his agent made some really bad choices and
he sort of fell off the face of the film world, hes done stuff but its nothing important.

PostPosted: 29 May 2021, 17:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Watched Mad Max last night - on Beta!

This tape is probably older than I am. Probably accounting to it being on betamax so it didn't see as much time inside somebody's dec, there's remarkably little wear on the tape and it looks and sounds about as good as you can get from a tape this old. Obviously this is far from being the ideal way to watch the movie (I still need to pick up that 4K release, if just for the unaltered Aussie mono track), but there are a few things about this release that make it special for me; the first time I ever saw the movie was on a bootleg copy of the original rental tape (which is insanely hard to come by, at least on VHS), so watching it in pan & scan with the dubbed American audio gives me that warm fuzzy feeling - which was something I could already do with the old US MGM DVD, but now I've got the clunky Finnish subtitles and low resolution picture to recreate the experience.

Although I think the bootleg was missing all the stuff from before and after the movie, including the copyright statements - which are so rife with spelling errors I don't think they had any quality control at all - and the trailers, including one for some movie called Thunder which just by the trailer alone I could tell was a colossal ripoff of The First Blood. Also it stars the guy from The Bronx Warriors!

PostPosted: 31 May 2021, 07:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Watched about half of The Walk 3D yesterday. Ran out of time so couldn't finish it (but will today if I can), so this is half an opinion on the film. More thoughts on the 3D though.

I like Joseph Gordon-Levitt a lot. I think he's a terrific actor in many good roles. His slightly wobbly French accent aside, he puts in a great turn here in The Walk. A film based on the true story of a man who illegally set up a wire between the two towers of the World Trade Centre and walked between them.

It's a Robert Zemeckis directed film so we're off to a confident start there. I love how well composed the film is for 3D. The subject matter is perfectly suited to 3D and Zemeckis takes full advantage of the technology.

When Phillipe first climbs the World Trade Centre and looks down from the ledge, there is a real sense of height and feelings of vertigo begin to creep in. It's not all about the high wire though, shots are set up with great thought and not just about sticking objects in obvious places so they pop out. Use of 3D in this film is about subtlety and conveying the sense of height and depth. It really is all very well done and super effective.

A good (50%?) start to my current 3D addiction.

Page 65 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 76  Next