It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:49

Page 58 of 76 [ 1505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2021, 04:31 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
After Teddanson posted about Le Mans and over the week I saw the last half of Ford v Ferrari I am spinning Le Mans (1971) [7156-85]

Anybody else think Ford v Ferrari had the look of a video game or more computer generated than needed??????

The trailer did. Every frame in it looked fake as hell.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2021, 08:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
Anybody else think Ford v Ferrari had the look of a video game or more computer generated than needed??????

It looked pretty authentic to me and the filmmakers claim it's 100% CGI free.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a ... ce-scenes/

Also, that DTS-Master HD mix on the Blu ray was amazing :o

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2021, 10:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
After Teddanson posted about Le Mans and over the week I saw the last half of Ford v Ferrari I am spinning Le Mans (1971) [7156-85]

Ford v Ferrari was alright. Quite enjoyed it, though again there's the whole CGI thing that just ruins the feel.

Another feather in the cap of Le Mans imho. Still the greatest motor racing film of all, or indeed any time.

It won't be beaten. Ever.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2021, 17:15 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

ldfan wrote:
rein-o wrote:

It looked pretty authentic to me and the filmmakers claim it's 100% CGI free.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a ... ce-scenes/

Also, that DTS-Master HD mix on the Blu ray was amazing :o

I don’t believe there is anything CG-free anymore. If they use real cars and stunts, fine, but that’s not a real sunset, and every frame of the movie was color graded in post. It’s a cooked as hell looking movie from the trailer.

I say, “the trailer” because I didn’t watch it. I’m sure I wrote this somewhere else when this movie came out but This David and Goliath narrative is BS. Both were giants but Ford was massively huger. They decided to buy a win against an actual sports car company with a ringer car. They then lost interest and left, which is what giant OEMs do when they’ve proven their point.

I would rather watch LeMans but I’d rather watch a movie about Tyrell or Arrows or Theodore Racing or some team with no commitments outside of racing rather than a movie that is just...winner worship. That’s what The Super Bowl is for and I don’t watch that either.

I prefer Grand Prix to LeMans but neither captured the book they are based on, The Cruel Sport by Robert Daily which is the best book about racing I can imagine ever existing of you like 60s F1. Some time ago a lady friend gave me a 1st edition and I’ll never get rid of it. No pseudonyms, no fiction, it contains some of the real anecdotes that became plot points in Grand Prix. The photography, especially for the time, is amazing.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2021, 18:31 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah all the cars had this plastic sheen to them which made me feel there was CGI or some effects.
Even when bail was standing on the track the night before the race the lights behind him looked like some JJ stuff going on.
May not be full on CGI but effects were in use and it was sort of distracting to me, looked like I was watching pubg driving......

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2021, 21:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Very JJ, yes. Big time. It looks like Bad Boys.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2021, 22:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

"Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.”

Such an iconic line even Porsche have adopted (and slightly amended it).

https://www.porsche.com/international/a ... article01/

Not denying Grand Prix isn't good. It is. It has some superb racing footage and decent staged stunts. But the filler between is all a bit flaccid. Like sitting on a fancy looking velour chair in a posh bar only to find someone spilt their drink all over it before you sat down. It's nice, comfy. Enjoyable. Then you squirm and realise the arse of your jeans is soaked through. Everyone thinks you've pissed yourself so you have to go home and change or do something else.

Grand Prix is the same. It opens well. Looks fancy. Then you get the inbetween stuff which just feels disjointed from the rest of the film and thus, in my rather humble opinion, makes it simply not as good a film as Le Mans.

With Le Mans, McQueen was so engrossed. So invested. So committed. So fevered and so impassioned in making the most raw, pure, undiluted and genuine motor racing film that he let nothing stand in his way. Friendships, relationships, his first marriage, affairs, money, death threats, bankruptcy, fights, car accidents, staff revolts. He didn't give a single s**t about anything except this film and his ultimate goal of committing to film just pure motorsport.

It was only when one of the drivers in the film had his leg amputated after a horrific accident that nearly killed him that he finally listened. This just after having an affair with one of his co-stars, driving them to their hotel in the rain, rolling the car and nearly killlng the pair of them.

Sure you look at the sum of Le Mans' off-screen parts today and wonder how the hell it ever got made and the selfishness of McQueen in many of the areas that led to the project having a disastrous impact on his life and those around him.

But it was the pure, raw, balls out commitment to completing and putting out a film, a vanity project, a slice of his goddamn life that reflects on the screen when you watch Le Mans. It's all there exposed. Entering the real car in the real 1970 race. Real footage. Real engine sounds. Real pro drivers for the additional scenes. Millions of feet of film. Angles. Stunts. Raw driving. Entering himself in the Sebring 24hrs qualifier so the car could actually race for real at Le Mans in 1970.

I see none of this in Grand Prix. Or in any film before or after Le Mans.

It's a film that stirs passion in me, not because it's some sort of work of cinema genius with an amazing script and flawless acting. It's not that at all. Sure no sod speaks for the first 40 minutes! It's what went in to the whole project. It meant absolutely everything to McQueen and it just shows up there on the big screen. For a motorsport film, nothing else has managed it before or after, and as I stated before and of course merely in my opinion, nothing ever will.

You simply cannot make a film like that today. You just can't. You can drum up a jillion reasons but it won't happen. And if by some miracle it ever were to happen and a project were greenlit, it wouldn't turn out anywhere near as good. You can throw all the oil money, bitcoins and dogecoins at it that you want. But it'll still fail. The passion simply won't be there. That's what stokes my embers about this film. The passion behind it. How much it meant to one person and that they threw every inch of their entire being at it just to get that footage up on the big screen and fulfil a dream.

That's why Le Mans is the best motor racing film of all time (imho) and always will be.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2021, 23:18 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Le Mans is the better film from a movie making perspective, cinematography in particular, but frankly all that insane crap you’re talking about turns me off, reminds me of Colin Chapman levels of anti-human stupidity. It’s anti-fun. Actual racing is enough of a meat grinder as it is. I’d rather the cars went a little slower and that we still had some more of these old guys to talk to.

It’s impressive that Marylin Manson was so committed to his work that he was willing to psychologically torture his girlfriends for it but I find myself less interested in the music than ever, if that’s even possible.

Grand Prix is more like Gone With the Wind, more of a traditional Hollywood spectacle about a kind of racing I enjoy. It’s downright bad at times (blood on hands...) but it also has the best footage that exists of that period of GP racing so it’s got it’s us and downs.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2021, 23:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Grand Prix is more like Gone With the Wind, more of a traditional Hollywood spectacle about a kind of racing I enjoy. It’s downright bad at times (blood on hands...) but it also has the best footage that exists of that period of GP racing so it’s got it’s us and downs.

100% agree. It's in a class of it's own for sure. The only thing that immediately springs to mind is some on board footage from a 1950's Jaguar track day that's on YouTube.

I think Sly tried to do something with Driven. Don't think he was very successful though, I forget, it's been years since I last saw it.

Rush was a pretty good attempt but again suffered from CGI ruining it. The cast were perfect though I thought.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 00:58 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

While I think both Gran Prix and Le Mans are great films they are almost like travel films. Ted you posted a film about sailing with cameras, its like that,
if you watch it today it may not be as exciting but its a part of life and shot for the people who couldn't afford to travel to these areas or see what
Germans or Japanese people looked like, but now we have that on TV or do a google search to see it.

Anyway wasn't able to finish Le Mans, only watched the first half, will watch the rest later.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 01:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Le Mans had a very troubled gestation, there are quite a few accurate & informative articles on the net & elsewhere about it - it was so close to being pulled during production on more than one occasion.

Some genuinely shocking incidents during production, lifechanging for some.

It should also be noted that Steve McQueen did not attend at the premiere, did very little to publicise the film & took little interest in motorsport from that point on & he never raced in a car again.

As a film on the subject of racing though, it is rather special.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 01:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
Le Mans is the better film from a movie making perspective, cinematography in particular, but frankly all that insane crap you’re talking about turns me off, reminds me of Colin Chapman levels of anti-human stupidity. It’s anti-fun. Actual racing is enough of a meat grinder as it is. I’d rather the cars went a little slower and that we still had some more of these old guys to talk to.

When the F1 rule changes were announced in 1993 for the '94 season Ayrton Senna stated that it did not bode well & that the '94 season could result in an accident plagued year. I don't think anyone who followed motorsport in any way back then will ever forget that year. I was shocked & to be honest quite devastated with the events at Imola on the 30th of April & the 1st of May. It did change thing from that point but a hell of a price to pay for that to happen.

I love motorsport & still follow Formula One but something went on May 1st '94.

Who knows what Ayrton Senna would have gone on to do if he was still with us, a truly tragic loss.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 02:40 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Senna knew what he was doing, and as bad as 1994 was it was a massively massively safer sport than in the time of The Cruel Sport. I was thinking more about Jochen Rindt. He wanted safer cars from his boss but Chapman was winning and when you’re winning they don’t f with you. Or maybe Ricardo Rodriguez who set “youngest” records that stood for decades only to be killed by a Lotus 24 built too close to the edge. Stirling Moss’s story about the cake...oh, I would have paid anything to see that.

The Lotus 72 is perhaps my favorite GP car ever, the D of course, but with that fanboy obsession comes...complicated thoughts. I eventually got to work for Lotus on the Engineering side, twice, got fired twice, I have complicated thoughts about that too... :)

Driven was the WORST movie. I’d rather watch The Love Bug stretched to wide.

Rush was exactly what you’d expect from a Ron Howard movie about F1, totally competent but nearly art-less, the Apollo 13 of racing films. :)

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 02:43 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
While I think both Gran Prix and Le Mans are great films they are almost like travel films. Ted you posted a film about sailing with cameras, its like that,
if you watch it today it may not be as exciting but its a part of life and shot for the people who couldn't afford to travel to these areas or see what
Germans or Japanese people looked like, but now we have that on TV or do a google search to see it.

Anyway wasn't able to finish Le Mans, only watched the first half, will watch the rest later.

If you are referring to the Flying Clipper...or whatever it’s called, I think there is actually footage of the Monaco GP in there too.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 03:06 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

found David the Gnome on youtube so I'm doing that with other stuff.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 03:57 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

80s Nick imported enough cartoons to last a lifetime. God bless their cheap-ass souls.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 08:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Motorsport. Love it.
Watched recently. "Easier said than done"
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xRioPhVIRE
Incredible documentary about how hard it is to get in top level Rallying, WRC etc
Ken Block, Petter Solberg etc etc. Unbelievable footage shown.
Best Motorsport doco IMHO for along time
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 11:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
rein-o wrote:

If you are referring to the Flying Clipper...or whatever it’s called, I think there is actually footage of the Monaco GP in there too.

This on board footage is fantastic too. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 23:02 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Watched Return to Oz, which is exactly as creepy as I remembered it being. Not surprised we only rented it once when I was a kid, but I sure liked it now. There's a fascinating visual mix of realistic and storybook-illustration-like elements. What's unfortunate is that the green-screen effect used to create the (still excellent) head-swapping sequences hasn't aged very well. Takes a bit of the edge off of the most memorable part of the film.

In the realm of "un-asked-for sequels to untouchable classics," I'd say it sure justifies its existence better than 2010 does!

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 23:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I agree. That movie is so extremely off...it freaked me out as a young teen...and I had already seen Robocop, Fantastic Planet, Eraserhead, etc. VERY WEIRD.

Page 58 of 76 [ 1505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 76  Next