It is currently 17 Jun 2019, 21:41




 Page 8 of 9 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 16 May 2019, 21:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2016, 06:38
Posts: 1241
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 39 times
xtempo wrote:

what do you mean RIP?


Oh sorry I just checked it, it was Carrie Fisher that died, not Harrison Ford.

Quote:
Also is it more JPOP? I should get into that sometime.


Yeah. I'd recommend reading the Kayo Kyoku Plus blog followed by Youtube research before you start buying anything.
_________________
Sony MDP-650, Sony MDP-355GX, Sony KVHR M36, DVDO VP-50
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 05:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 21 Dec 2002, 18:44
Posts: 782
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 34 times
One of my favorite films from 1987.
Image
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 23 May 2019, 21:02 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested
User avatar

Joined: 04 Aug 2018, 01:04
Posts: 53
Location: Canada
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 time
Watched Citizen Kane for the first time a couple nights ago. It's great, who knew!? TCM VHS edition.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 23 May 2019, 22:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 02 Apr 2006, 21:20
Posts: 1430
Location: United States
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 12 times
thefringthing wrote:
Watched Citizen Kane for the first time a couple nights ago. It's great, who knew!? TCM VHS edition.


there is only one problem with it is the whole rosebud thing. I've had a film teacher never could explain who heard him say that as his last words. otherwise it is a great movie.
_________________
DVD&BDs | LD/DVHS Collection
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 26 May 2019, 22:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 01:55
Posts: 558
Location: United States
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 25 times
Watched the Operation Condor movies recently. The BD release is rubbish.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 27 May 2019, 08:33 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2016, 06:38
Posts: 1241
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 39 times
movies plural? This is Armor of God II you're talking about right? I always loved how the plot totally went out the window at the end of that haha

Watching the LD of Speed in Odaiba '97. This group was legendary in my share house circa 98

https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/18494/TFLQ-78020/SPEED:-First-Live---Starting-Over-From-ODAIBA

My favorites always been Hitoe, the one with dreads 8-)

_________________
Sony MDP-650, Sony MDP-355GX, Sony KVHR M36, DVDO VP-50
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 27 May 2019, 11:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 01:55
Posts: 558
Location: United States
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 25 times
Yeah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armour_of ... ion_Condor and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armour_of_God_(film) The US release has them in the wrong order on the BD. Normally I am pro BD but they didn't clean it up at all, 4 movies are packed on one BD and you can see wires during the stunts which isn't the fault of the release but ugh. :(
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 27 May 2019, 13:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2016, 06:38
Posts: 1241
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 39 times
Oh okay, another classically convoluted hk movie release! I'm now not even sure what I saw on TV all those years ago. In the version I saw he goes into the bad guy's cave hideout with Yuen Biao I think to rescue his girlfriend but just forgets about her and ends up escaping and jumping onto the top of a air balloon in the (famous?) climax.
_________________
Sony MDP-650, Sony MDP-355GX, Sony KVHR M36, DVDO VP-50
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 27 May 2019, 15:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 01:55
Posts: 558
Location: United States
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 25 times
I need to track down the English subtitled version of each assuming they exist.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 27 May 2019, 21:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2016, 06:38
Posts: 1241
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 39 times
gypsy wrote:
I need to track down the English subtitled version of each assuming they exist.


Wow the BD doesn't have subs/original dialogue?

Plenty of subbed versions exist on DVD/VCD/BD at least, just check out Yes Asia
_________________
Sony MDP-650, Sony MDP-355GX, Sony KVHR M36, DVDO VP-50
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 08:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 02:41
Posts: 698
Location: Finland
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 26 times
Great, the Hong Kong blu-ray of Operation Condor has english subs but looks like sh!t, while the US release looks so much better but is in the wrong aspect ratio and dub only!

What a bunch of <expletives>.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 12:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 01:55
Posts: 558
Location: United States
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 25 times
takeshi666 wrote:
Great, the Hong Kong blu-ray of Operation Condor has english subs but looks like sh!t, while the US release looks so much better but is in the wrong aspect ratio and dub only!

What a bunch of <expletives>.


Yeah, looks like I'll just get DVDs.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 15:36 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested
User avatar

Joined: 04 Aug 2018, 01:04
Posts: 53
Location: Canada
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 time
xtempo wrote:
thefringthing wrote:
Watched Citizen Kane for the first time a couple nights ago. It's great, who knew!? TCM VHS edition.


there is only one problem with it is the whole rosebud thing. I've had a film teacher never could explain who heard him say that as his last words. otherwise it is a great movie.
My impression was that it was the nurse. Some googling suggests that some people think the butler was in the room out of frame, since he recalls Kane dropping the snow globe as well. There appears to be a rumour that Orson Wells acknowledged it as a continuity problem, but it doesn't seem well confirmed.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 28 May 2019, 22:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2016, 06:38
Posts: 1241
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 39 times
If you can find a Hong Kong release by Fortune Star I've always thought their DVD transfers were the best, I've probably got 20 titles and they all look great PQ wise with clear proper subs.
_________________
Sony MDP-650, Sony MDP-355GX, Sony KVHR M36, DVDO VP-50
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 29 May 2019, 06:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 02:41
Posts: 698
Location: Finland
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 26 times
gypsy wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:
Great, the Hong Kong blu-ray of Operation Condor has english subs but looks like sh!t, while the US release looks so much better but is in the wrong aspect ratio and dub only!

What a bunch of <expletives>.


Yeah, looks like I'll just get DVDs.

Seems like the first film is the only one to get a decent release, the UK blu has english subs and is in full HD, but appears to have slightly more muted colours compared to the US one but I don't know which one is accurate.

No such luck with the sequel.
forper wrote:
If you can find a Hong Kong release by Fortune Star I've always thought their DVD transfers were the best, I've probably got 20 titles and they all look great PQ wise with clear proper subs.

I've got the Fortune Star box set with both movies which is quite nice. It's only one (two?) of the three (four?) region 3 titles I own.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 29 May 2019, 16:19 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 02 Apr 2006, 21:20
Posts: 1430
Location: United States
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 12 times
thefringthing wrote:
xtempo wrote:
thefringthing wrote:
Watched Citizen Kane for the first time a couple nights ago. It's great, who knew!? TCM VHS edition.


there is only one problem with it is the whole rosebud thing. I've had a film teacher never could explain who heard him say that as his last words. otherwise it is a great movie.
My impression was that it was the nurse. Some googling suggests that some people think the butler was in the room out of frame, since he recalls Kane dropping the snow globe as well. There appears to be a rumour that Orson Wells acknowledged it as a continuity problem, but it doesn't seem well confirmed.

that would make since but I wish it was more clear though.
_________________
DVD&BDs | LD/DVHS Collection
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 19:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 01:55
Posts: 558
Location: United States
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 25 times
The Highlander TV Series from the 90s. Pretty standard fare.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2019, 17:48 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested
User avatar

Joined: 15 Aug 2018, 02:00
Posts: 60
Location: United States
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Braveheart

(Well more correctly, I attempted to watch Braveheart)
I just wasn't feeling like my copy was performing well, so having several (doesn't everyone by now?) I tried a couple others. Is this movie just not well lit? :problem:
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2019, 18:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 02 Apr 2006, 21:20
Posts: 1430
Location: United States
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 12 times
gypsy wrote:
The Highlander TV Series from the 90s. Pretty standard fare.

I was watching that and planned to watch all of it including the spin-off but I got so annoyed with it and still There can only be one.
_________________
DVD&BDs | LD/DVHS Collection
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2019, 18:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2012, 23:14
Posts: 614
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 15 times
remav wrote:
Braveheart

(Well more correctly, I attempted to watch Braveheart)
I just wasn't feeling like my copy was performing well, so having several (doesn't everyone by now?) I tried a couple others. Is this movie just not well lit? :problem:


Which LD version as there were a few releases.
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 8 of 9 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: